Shouldn't this stabilize right out of the box?
488 5 2018-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jimmy_M
New
United States

I charged my new Osmo Mobile 2 and turned on the power. Even though I have not activated the product through the app, shouldn't there be some reaction from the gimbal unit? Other than the power lights, mine does not move or react at all and it is very well balanced.

QUESTION 1: Can anyone confirm whether the unit reacts when you first turn it on BEFORE activating it? Activating registering the product via the app will make the unit unable to be returned from the store I bought it.

QUESTION 2: If I activate it, can I then use it (without the app) on an unlisted device? I know that I'd be using the phone's default camera app.

Thanks in advance

2018-6-15
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Answer 1: Yes the unit will react just a tad but it will not come to full upright video taking position.

Answer 2: Yes you can use the device without the Go app using the phones default camera app. The only function that will work on the OM2 is the joystick to move the gimble up and down.
2018-6-15
Use props
Jimmy_M
New
United States

Thank you!
This really helped with my decision.
2018-6-16
Use props
Dave_bass5
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I’m glad you asked this, as i got my OM2 today and remembered your issue. I had a smooth Q in the past and that would just work when turned on, i was expecting the same to be true of the OM2, but after reading this thread (yesterday) I realised it had to be activated first. Although i have no interest in the DJI app i had to download it just to get the OM2 working.
Not sure of the reasons but it was a painless operation.
2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-6-15 21:22
Answer 1: Yes the unit will react just a tad but it will not come to full upright video taking position.

Answer 2: Yes you can use the device without the Go app using the phones default camera app. The only function that will work on the OM2 is the joystick to move the gimble up and down.

Hi, Thank you for bringing your query here, regarding with your question 1, like Hurley mentioned the unit may act like it's not normal or unbalanced, however, once you activate it the Osmo will initiate a short calibration and re-balance your phone, kindly ensure as well that we're not using any case on our phone when we will instal it to Osmo mobile 2 and there should be no other devices that require bluetooth connection as well aside from your phone and Osmo mobile 2, and about Question 2: Yes it's possible that you can use your built in camera, however, we cannot use some feature of the application as well.
2018-6-17
Use props
Jimmy_M
New
United States

I bought the OM2 to use it with an unsupported phone knowing that I probably wouldn't be able to use the DJI Go app. I was only interested in the stabilization features anyway.

I charged the unit fully and turned it on but there was no reaction at all from the gimbal except the battery status lights. Now I know that the unit will not function at all until it is activated via the app. Even though my Samsung S5 is not on the supported device list, I was able to install the app and activate the OM2. After activation, the gimbal sprang to life and allowed me to do simple stabilizing and joystick control without using the app. The app is necessary to perform calibration which helped the gimbal keep my phone perfectly level. It was noticeably better after calibrating. The app seems to be working without any issues which is great because now I've discovered all the cool functions like tracking and hyperlapse.

If you don't want to install or can't install the DJI app, there may be better gimbal options for slightly less, but the app is powerful with some fun features. I'm glad I bought it.
2018-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules