UH OH!! MAVIC PRO 2???? (a must read problem)
12Next >
2967 51 2018-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Hey DJI Forum Users whom I have a cool regard for!

First I want to start off by saying that I bought the Mavic Air last week, I bought it then because I was waiting for the Mavic Pro 2 announcement for like MONTHS, although it never came. I bought the MA off of Amazon, I have only flown it once, using all 3 batteries though. Its literally brand spankin' new and I definently enjoyed that flight.

Secondly, WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???? LITERALLY ONE WEEK AFTER I POURED ONE STINKING GRAND INTO THE AIR, THERE IS AN ANNOUNCEMENT FROM DJI. Had I waited a week, then I would have at least let the official announcement pass before buying the MA. I feel like this is bad karma for me.

Anyways, what do you think this announcement is about? Obviously Casey Neistat already has the drone, if it is a drone.

also a side note, do you think that Amazon would allow me to return the Air? If so, how much of a refund would I get?

thanks y'all. I look forward to the responses.
Single SelectVote, Total 46 people participate in voting
47.83% (22)
2.17% (1)
0.00% (0)
13.04% (6)
36.96% (17)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-6-15
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I doubt DJI, who just released Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, would turnaround the next month to announce Phantom 5? Unfortunately, I was hoping DJI wouldn't release a Mavic Pro II until next year, mainly because my Mavic Pro is only 3 months old and it had been great flying just this short time knowing I didn't buy old technology.

This announcement I suspect is likely to release the much anticipated Mavic Pro II. SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE looks like it's symbolic as confirming the Mavic Pro II will have a bigger 1 inch camera sensor. I think we'll see something that looks very similar to the original Mavic Pro but it will incorporate rear obstacle avoidance like the Mavic Air, 8GB internal storage, fly for 33 minutes with speeds of 45 MPH?  
2018-6-15
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-15 20:20
I doubt DJI, who just released Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, would turnaround the next month to announce Phantom 5? Unfortunately, I was hoping DJI wouldn't release a Mavic Pro II until next year, mainly because my Mavic Pro is only 3 months old and it had been great knowing I didn't buy old technology.

This announcement I suspect is likely to release the much anticipated Mavic Pro II. SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE looks like it's symbolic as confirming the Mavic Pro II will have a bigger 1 inch camera sensor. I think we'll see something that looks very similar to the original Mavic Pro but it will incorporate rear obstacle avoidance like the Mavic Air, 8GB internal storage, fly for 33 minutes with speeds of 45 MPH?

Unfortunately my worst fears are being confirmed. My Mavic Air has been flown once, and is now no longer desirable mostly due to my craving for the better portable drone.
2018-6-15
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

eman_vg Posted at 2018-6-15 20:23
Unfortunately my worst fears are being confirmed. My Mavic Air has been flown once, and is now no longer desirable mostly due to my craving for the better portable drone.

If this is the Mavic Pro II, I'm guessing DJI will raise prices to $1,299 for the drone itself and $1,599 for the Fly More Combo.
2018-6-15
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-15 20:27
If this is the Mavic Pro II, I'm guessing DJI will raise prices to $1,299 for the drone itself and $1,599 for the Fly More Combo.

And I was willing to spend that much on a new MP2.
2018-6-15
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

You bought off of Amazon and less than 30 days old right?  EASY.  Return to Amazon and wait for the MP2.  Solved.  Within 30 days return will be accepted no issues.  Full refund.
2018-6-15
Use props
ALLEN YIP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402890 ft
Hong Kong

Hope that would be MP2 with larger sensor and bigger mega pixels
Day time dreaming: 4K60fps would be perfect
2018-6-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect it is a brand new drone design like the Mavic Air was but aimed at the prosumer grade market - a mini P4P or MP2 equivalent with an amazing camera, updated design and state of the art specs. Either way, it's got to be a drone that will wipe the floor with the competition as the MP did with the Karma in 2016 - DJI tend to launch high profile drone releases in New York (as they did with the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air). I'll have my bank card on standby
2018-6-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think it will be Mavic Pro2, I don’t think design will be anything like Mavic Pro , which has dated very quickly, even phantoms look much better, I think it will look like MavAir’s big brother, Autel has basically copied the old design of Mavic Pro , so I don’t see dji continuing with that.
2018-6-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

As SparksBird says, return it to Amazon.  you'll get a full refund.  Then you'll just have to wait 1 more month to hear the announcement. Since they have been very successful at keeping whatever it is under wraps, I won't even speculate on what it is.  If it's a new MP2, i'll have to consider adding a craft to the hangar.  My MA is 3 months old now, and has many miles on it.  (and will get MANY, MANY, MANY more).  I have been craving a second drone anyway, but only because i'm crazy like that.  there is no legitimate reason for me to want one.  That won't stop me though.

So if it's a new MP2, I'll begin the long journey of making sure I have a suitable apology gift when I have to tell my wife that I bought another drone.

I'd like to think that hallmark is right and that DJI won't continue with the same design, but again, I can't find any credible information, and all we have is speculation, so i guess we'll just have to wait and see.
2018-6-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Talk about hysteria.  Its certainly not a must read.
And has no actual basis in fact either.
2018-6-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-16 03:13
I think it will be Mavic Pro2, I don’t think design will be anything like Mavic Pro , which has dated very quickly, even phantoms look much better, I think it will look like MavAir’s big brother, Autel has basically copied the old design of Mavic Pro , so I don’t see dji continuing with that.

I fully agree and this is why I have voted "None of the above". Whatever it will be called, it will be something really new in my opinion.
2018-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-16 05:50
I fully agree and this is why I have voted "None of the above". Whatever it will be called, it will be something really new in my opinion.

It’s a picture of an Iris.

Video Camera Iris. The iris is an adjustable opening (aperture), which controls the amount of light coming through the lens (i.e. the "exposure"). The video camera iris works in basically the same way as a still camera iris -- as you open the iris, more light comes in and the picture appears bigger & brighter.

It’s tho one most important feature Mavic users have been looking for, only seen in 1 inch sensors on P4Pro and inspire2, fingers crossed.
2018-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-16 05:55

Video Camera Iris. The iris is an adjustable opening (aperture), which controls the amount of light coming through the lens (i.e. the "exposure"). The video camera iris works in basically the same way as a still camera iris -- as you open the iris, more light comes in and the picture appears bigger & brighter.

2018-6-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lol, must read.
2018-6-16
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-16 04:45
As SparksBird says, return it to Amazon.  you'll get a full refund.  Then you'll just have to wait 1 more month to hear the announcement. Since they have been very successful at keeping whatever it is under wraps, I won't even speculate on what it is.  If it's a new MP2, i'll have to consider adding a craft to the hangar.  My MA is 3 months old now, and has many miles on it.  (and will get MANY, MANY, MANY more).  I have been craving a second drone anyway, but only because i'm crazy like that.  there is no legitimate reason for me to want one.  That won't stop me though.

So if it's a new MP2, I'll begin the long journey of making sure I have a suitable apology gift when I have to tell my wife that I bought another drone.

Even with the 1flight record? Do you think I could fly it again? And July 18 is definently a long ways from now, and that means I have to wait. URGH, why couldn't they announce this last week??
2018-6-16
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-6-16 05:30
Talk about hysteria.  Its certainly not a must read.
And has no actual basis in fact either.

I swear I am going crazy over this! haha
2018-6-16
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
United States

(click bait honestly)
2018-6-16
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you zoom in real close then turn the picture upside down then go to settings and invert colors you can see frank wang with his hand out waiting to take everyone’s money...
2018-6-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-16 05:55

Yes, let's keep fingers crossed. Exciting times for sure :-)
2018-6-16
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-6-15 23:53
I suspect it is a brand new drone design like the Mavic Air was but aimed at the prosumer grade market - a mini P4P or MP2 equivalent with an amazing camera, updated design and state of the art specs. Either way, it's got to be a drone that will wipe the floor with the competition as the MP did with the Karma in 2016 - DJI tend to launch high profile drone releases in New York (as they did with the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air). I'll have my bank card on standby

I agree with you, DJI waits until the competition announces their releases first - then we usually see DJI release new prosumer drones like the example you mentioned with the GoPro Karma - getting trounced by the Mavic Pro in 2016.

Here we'll see the same thing, with the Autel Evo being newly released but not in time and outdone by DJI, who will release the Mavic Pro II that will outstrip the competition away from Autel and rest of the herd.

I only wish the Mavic Pro II didn't come out this year, and like the Mavic Air - DJI wait until January to hold out on the release? I say this with a little bit of jealousy because my Mavic Pro is only 3 months old. But anyone who makes the purchase decision following the July 18 SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE Event best of luck it'll be worth it.
2018-6-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-16 07:51
I agree with you, DJI waits until the competition announces their releases first - then we usually see DJI release new prosumer drones like the example you mentioned with the GoPro Karma - getting trounced by the Mavic Pro in 2016.

Here we'll see the same thing, with the Autel Evo being newly released but not in time and outdone by DJI, who will release the Mavic Pro II that will outstrip the competition away from Autel and rest of the herd.

When you control the market you only release new products to sustain that control. This has got to be a new drone of some description.
As for your MP - it will still be the same drone the day after this next one is released. If it does what you need it to then that is all that is important so continue to enjoy it.
2018-6-16
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

eman_vg Posted at 2018-6-15 20:28
And I was willing to spend that much on a new MP2.

Are you willing to pay up to 25% on top of that? Your location says US, and with the tariffs on Chinese products comming, it could very well be that DJI needs to pass through those tariffs onto their customers.
2018-6-16
Use props
geordie81
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14409554 ft
  • >>>

my initial thoughts where that the mavic would arrive in late aug/early sept,  like the previous 2 versions, and its now 21 months old, but given that evo has just been announced, along with 2 quick price reductions on mavic pro, and its removal from the main dji top banner page, suggests that a new mavic may be on the way.

my thoughts are that the new mavic will get a new 1/1/7" sensor and not a new 1" as hoped.
flight time of 35 minutes with a new bigger battery.
look more like a mavic air with more sleek lines compared to the mavic pro's, but will be bigger
will come with all round obstacle avoidance.
price will increase by about £100/$100 for each model compared to platinums price on release
2018-6-16
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

geordie81 Posted at 2018-6-16 14:32
my initial thoughts where that the mavic would arrive in late aug/early sept,  like the previous 2 versions, and its now 21 months old, but given that evo has just been announced, along with 2 quick price reductions on mavic pro, and its removal from the main dji top banner page, suggests that a new mavic may be on the way.

my thoughts are that the new mavic will get a new 1/1/7" sensor and not a new 1" as hoped.

That makes perfect sense to me. It would still be a very highly wanted craft with no competition around at a good pricepoint and enough distance to differentiate against both Mavic Air and Phantom Pro.
2018-6-16
Use props
Bryant NorCal
lvl.2

Im just hoping DJI will release higher capacity batteries for their entire line. Then offer real world flight time and transmission distance...lol.
2018-6-16
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

It's important to remember that if your MP or MPP has been a great drone for you then no matter what is announced in July your drone will still be a great drone.
2018-6-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-6-16 08:48
Are you willing to pay up to 25% on top of that? Your location says US, and with the tariffs on Chinese products comming, it could very well be that DJI needs to pass through those tariffs onto their customers.

that's what I was thinking!!!  I just told my wife that i'm glad I got mine when i did, because I won't be able to afford it next month!
2018-6-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

3-D Posted at 2018-6-16 04:45

At least they gave you a month for that...
2018-6-17
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

LoL guys, just to be clear... you know you DON'T HAVE TO always buy the latest drone, right?
2018-6-17
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-6-17 04:19
LoL guys, just to be clear... you know you DON'T HAVE TO always buy the latest drone, right?

Wait, what?  I don't understand what you mean.  
2018-6-17
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whatever it is you can bet that you will have an update waiting right after you register it, the SDK won't be released for months, it won't work correctly with goggles as promised, not all the features promised will be there until at least the second update, x% will think it's the greatest thing ever after only a 5 minute test flight, x% will wish they had stayed with their old system, x% will have never flown before and will crash on the first battery due to not reading the manual, etc, etc. etc.
2018-6-17
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Oman

EdM Posted at 2018-6-17 09:23
Whatever it is you can bet that you will have an update waiting right after you register it, the SDK won't be released for months, it won't work correctly with goggles as promised, not all the features promised will be there until at least the second update, x% will think it's the greatest thing ever after only a 5 minute test flight, x% will wish they had stayed with their old system, x% will have never flown before and will crash on the first battery due to not reading the manual, etc, etc. etc.

That's a perfect summary and is exactly what will happen. The secondary thing will be multiple issues caused by the shocking DJI quality control!!
2018-6-17
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

I believe MP which I have is the greatest drone in general, the day DJI releases MP version 2 I'll get one if upgrading means a better aerial photography.
2018-6-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It MUST be MP2
No wait, it SHOULD be MP2.
Oh, no, wait. It COULD be MP2
Maybe it is MP2.
Maybe it is not.
But it is sure time
2018-6-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh and for one I am very happy with the MP I just bought.
Great bird.
Good way to learn how to fly and wait for MPx to drop to a reasonable price.
2018-6-17
Use props
Dog Flight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3432156 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-16 03:13

I think the Phantom Is the drone with the old design. That's why it's called the Phantom 4. The stress fractures that develop in the limbs doesn't say much for its design. Put the Phantom's camera on a beefed up redesign Mavic and you have a winner.
2018-6-17
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-17 12:13
It MUST be MP2
No wait, it SHOULD be MP2.
Oh, no, wait. It COULD be MP2

FOR SURE... we will see in a month ;)
2018-6-18
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Dog Flight Posted at 2018-6-17 18:39
I think the Phantom Is the drone with the old design. That's why it's called the Phantom 4. The stress fractures that develop in the limbs doesn't say much for its design. Put the Phantom's camera on a beefed up redesign Mavic and you have a winner.

So... a Phavic?
2018-6-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-6-18 04:01
FOR SURE... we will see in a month ;)

I would not count on it.
There have been other announcements that were 'just' a video