Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Go 4 "Keeps Stopping"
4209 28 2018-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8f20dcac
New
United States

I have an Essential phone and Android 8.1.0. The phone is awesome, but I cannot open DJI app. As soon as I touch the icon to open, it stops immediately and keeps stopping. Can't even get in to sign on. Useless. Litchi on the other hand works perfectly. I'm heading out on vacation soon, worried that the Mavic will be grounded away from home. "Help!" DJI
2018-6-16
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Apparently your phone is not compatible then or you maybe have other Apps running and causing this malfunction. Don't you have another one to try with?
2018-6-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. What specific model of Mavic? We need to check if your phone is compatible to your drone. Thank you.
2018-6-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How would it be grounded if Litchi works perfectly with your essential phone?
2018-6-16
Use props
fans8f20dcac
New
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-16 08:55
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. What specific model of Mavic? We need to check if your phone is compatible to your drone. Thank you.

The Mavic is just a year old from Costco, but the problem is not the Mavic, I can't even open the app to sign in and select my drone.
2018-6-16
Use props
fans8f20dcac
New
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-16 12:39
How would it be grounded if Litchi works perfectly with your essential phone?

That's the confusing thing, it must be because I'm signed in with my tablet, but when I'm away from a wifi network I'm not sure I will be able to make it work. Just had a thought I could make my phone a wifi hot spot
2018-6-16
Use props
fans8f20dcac
New
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-16 08:53
Apparently your phone is not compatible then or you maybe have other Apps running and causing this malfunction. Don't you have another one to try with?

I have a suspicion it's a phone thing, but I just updated to the latest Android, so maybe DJI aren't there yet?
2018-6-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

unfortunately when it comes to android..the amount of reasoning can be nearly endless when it decided not to work.  

anything from a misbehaving application in the background kicking the app out, to a bad setting messing things up, to hardware level security things causing issues.  hard to really say..

on a spec level, no reason why Dji-Go 4 should not work.. my guess is probably a setting or an application causing issues.
2018-6-16
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-16 08:53
Apparently your phone is not compatible then or you maybe have other Apps running and causing this malfunction. Don't you have another one to try with?

I've been having terrible issues using DJI GO 4 Version 4.2.20 as it has rendered my two drones impossible to fly. I didn't fly for a month between updates and when going up for the first time since before the update, my video became too distorted to fly FPV. To make things worse, the two flights with my Mavic Pro, it went into ATTI Mode making it incredibly difficult to land safely. I don't know how it would even be possible to land if not will having lost the Mavic Pro if it wasn't right directly in front of me?

What Version are you flying with and do you use Android or Apple? I have a Samsung S7 with 4GB RAM?
2018-6-16
Use props
bjamerican
New

United States

I am experiencing the same problems on my Essential PH-1. The issue began after installing DJI GO 4.2.20. The app crashes as soon as it is launched, every time. Other PH-1 owners are reporting the same problem on the Essential Reddit page as well.

Version 4.2.16 still works without issues, so DJI changed something that made the app unstable in the latest release.
2018-6-17
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

While I "primarily" use iOS (when using an iPad mini) I occasionally us an Android based phone.  I've noticed similar behaviors when I've failed to close any Apps that may be running in the background..  Try this:  Before launching Go4, close ALL apps, turn WiFi and Bluetooth off, then start up Go4.  the posts that suggest that you phone is not compatible could be correct, but I would check to see if there are other apps interfering.
2018-6-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

fans8f20dcac Posted at 2018-6-16 18:38
That's the confusing thing, it must be because I'm signed in with my tablet, but when I'm away from a wifi network I'm not sure I will be able to make it work. Just had a thought I could make my phone a wifi hot spot

You still would be able to fly. You only need wifi at the initial start up. I use an iPad mini wifi version. Btw you don't even need hotspot.
2018-6-17
Use props
fans8f20dcac
New
United States

bjamerican Posted at 2018-6-17 01:09
I am experiencing the same problems on my Essential PH-1. The issue began after installing DJI GO 4.2.20. The app crashes as soon as it is launched, every time. Other PH-1 owners are reporting the same problem on the Essential Reddit page as well.

Version 4.2.16 still works without issues, so DJI changed something that made the app unstable in the latest release.

That's it! Thanks very much for the tip, I installed the same version and it now works fine. So DJI changed something that prevents their app from opening in Android 8.1.0
2018-6-17
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-16 19:37
I've been having terrible issues using DJI GO 4 Version 4.2.20 as it has rendered my two drones impossible to fly. I didn't fly for a month between updates and when going up for the first time since before the update, my video became too distorted to fly FPV. To make things worse, the two flights with my Mavic Pro, it went into ATTI Mode making it incredibly difficult to land safely. I don't know how it would even be possible to land if not will having lost the Mavic Pro if it wasn't right directly in front of me?

What Version are you flying with and do you use Android or Apple? I have a Samsung S7 with 4GB RAM?

I am usually flying with my CrystalSky which is still on 4.2.16 because the .20 is not yet available for it. But I have tested 4.2.20 on my Android tablet without major problems.
2018-6-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-17 08:10
I am usually flying with my CrystalSky which is still on 4.2.16 because the .20 is not yet available for it. But I have tested 4.2.20 on my Android tablet without major problems.

MY Mavic Pro went into ATTI Mode both flights I used v. 4.2.20 so I'm afraid to fly it now. I reset the firmware on the Mavic Pro,  but I keep getting an error message on DJI Assistant 2 that it can't reset the Remote Controller?

Also, the Remote Controller is giving me an error message on the display saying Check App?
2018-6-17
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-17 12:00
MY Mavic Pro went into ATTI Mode both flights I used v. 4.2.20 so I'm afraid to fly it now. I reset the firmware on the Mavic Pro,  but I keep getting an error message on DJI Assistant 2 that it can't reset the Remote Controller?

Also, the Remote Controller is giving me an error message on the display saying Check App?

Then I would recommend you open a support case with DJI. Something is obviously wrong, but unfortunately I can't tell you what it might be.
2018-6-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-17 12:20
Then I woul recommend you open a support case with DJI. Something is obviously wrong, but unfortunately I can't tell you what it might be.

OK thanks for your input, I'm going to send them my Mavic Pro this week and have them take a look at what's the problem, because it is un-flyable in its current state.
2018-6-17
Use props
bjamerican
New

United States

Is everyone who's experiencing issues running on the latest Essential software (June 5, 2018 Google Security Patch)? I'm curious to know if any Google Pixel users are experiencing similar issues. The Pixel and Essential Phone are pretty much the only two mainstream handsets to receive the latest Android security patch so far.
2018-6-17
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-17 12:00

App crashing, loss of fpv or pixellating fpv have been problems here in our drone clubs. Many Mavic and Spark users reporting app failures. MP users that never had any problems in neaarly 2 years all of a sudden are at a loss. All have since reverted to previous go4 versions and the drones are working normally with no crashes, no reports of disconnects, monochrome video freeze, or other. Something has been glitchy since 4.2.16

I'd much rather the app was device specific. The more bloated it gets, the worse it performs
2018-6-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-6-20 10:30
App crashing, loss of fpv or pixellating fpv have been problems here in our drone clubs. Many Mavic and Spark users reporting app failures. MP users that never had any problems in neaarly 2 years all of a sudden are at a loss. All have since reverted to previous go4 versions and the drones are working normally with no crashes, no reports of disconnects, monochrome video freeze, or other. Something has been glitchy since 4.2.16

I'd much rather the app was device specific. The more bloated it gets, the worse it performs

DJI emailed me Version 4.2.8 that I can use but never in the past has any updates not been running properly? As you said, the current version 4.2.20 seems a bit more bloated do you recommend not using and reverting back to 4.2.8? Bummer that this has suddenly happened around to other flyers.
2018-6-20
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-20 12:30
DJI emailed me Version 4.2.8 that I can use but never in the past has any updates not been running properly? As you said, the current version 4.2.20 seems a bit more bloated do you recommend not using and reverting back to 4.2.8? Bummer that this has suddenly happened around to other flyers.

Most users in our local club here have reverted to 4.2.14 and have not had the problems experience with the latest versions.

Personally, I think the app is now overly bloated with every product inclusion. Too easy to update one product, and have failures. Their access to Android devices is probably also limited, and to me it's crazy that devices that exceed their min spec are having these problems of late.
2018-6-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-6-20 12:45
Most users in our local club here have reverted to 4.2.14 and have not had the problems experience with the latest versions.

Personally, I think the app is now overly bloated with every product inclusion. Too easy to update one product, and have failures. Their access to Android devices is probably also limited, and to me it's crazy that devices that exceed their min spec are having these problems of late.

Totally bizarre? I don't think it's my smart device - I use a Samsung Galaxy S7, which I think honestly is the best device for running DJI GO 4. The S7 has 4GB RAM and is 2650x1440 Super-Amoled display. It's the only smartphone of its size and bright display and high RAM size to have a physical home button - which is convenient in the event DJI GO 4 freezes - a virtual home button freezes along with the screen - only the power button can reset the phone - physical home buttons are way more user friendly.

2018-6-20
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-20 13:20
Totally bizarre? I don't think it's my smart device - I use a Samsung Galaxy S7, which I think honestly is the best device for running DJI GO 4. The S7 has 4GB RAM and is 2650x1440 Super-Amoled display. It's the only smartphone of its size and bright display and high RAM size to have a physical home button - which is convenient in the event DJI GO 4 freezes - a virtual home button freezes along with the screen - only the power button can reset the phone - physical home buttons are way more user friendly.

[view_image]

Not when countless numbers of Samsung or other mfg Android users are having similar problems. My S3 Tablet is 4x the required min for Go4. Latest app updates crash and fail all over the place. 4.2.14 is back to Mavic Pro as it should be.

DJI updates have created a ton of bugs for Android users, and imo it is not a compatibility problem, but more of a now DJI Go4 is bloated worse than a $99 tablet could be. When older versions of the app work without fail on the same devices from hundreds of users having said problems with latest updates... it's not the tablet or phone at fault.

They may not want to work with Android user bases but it would be best not to alienate them or tell them to spend another $350 and up on an iOS device used solely for a drone. That will not be received too well.
2018-6-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-6-20 13:32
Not when countless numbers of Samsung or other mfg Android users are having similar problems. My S3 Tablet is 4x the required min for Go4. Latest app updates crash and fail all over the place. 4.2.14 is back to Mavic Pro as it should be.

DJI updates have created a ton of bugs for Android users, and imo it is not a compatibility problem, but more of a now DJI Go4 is bloated worse than a $99 tablet could be. When older versions of the app work without fail on the same devices from hundreds of users having said problems with latest updates... it's not the tablet or phone at fault.

The iPhone X is the only comparable OLED comparable device to Samsung's Super-Amoled bright display. When you're flying your drone in the bright sunlight you need the absolute brightest display you can have, that's why Samsung devices, even though running Android, are best suited for DJI GO 4.
2018-6-20
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-20 15:45
The iPhone X is the only comparable OLED comparable device to Samsung's Super-Amoled bright display. When you're flying your drone in the bright sunlight you need the absolute brightest display you can have, that's why Samsung devices, even though running Android, are best suited for DJI GO 4.

Until the app no longer works properly after an update.

Really amazes me as well as so many others in our local drone community here that DJI ignores Samsung devices with ratings beyond required specs. They don't list the S3 and that is one of the most popular tablets among the droning community. Fast, 4G ram, amazing screen, and can even handle hot sunny days of SC without shutting down as fast as an an iPad Pro would. Had them back to back one day in +95 deg temps 3 pm in SC recently. One flight for one guy was cut very short when his iPad Pro shut down. S3 kicked it all 3 batteries. Another day it was 102 and the iPad Pro lasted a minute or two while the S3 ran 2 batteries worth before giving a temp warning (it did not shut down).  You could cook an egg on the back side of the S3. It was very hot that day.

My Note 8 ran well with a Spark we flew afterward. No problem 3 batteries.

Biggest issue with Android right now are that the latest DJI GO4 apps are not working properly at all. Pixelated screens, disconnection warnings when the craft is perfectly normal, App totally shutting down. Users in our local drone club have suggested going to 4.2.12. It works fine.
2018-6-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-6-22 10:34
Until the app no longer works properly after an update.

Really amazes me as well as so many others in our local drone community here that DJI ignores Samsung devices with ratings beyond required specs. They don't list the S3 and that is one of the most popular tablets among the droning community. Fast, 4G ram, amazing screen, and can even handle hot sunny days of SC without shutting down as fast as an an iPad Pro would. Had them back to back one day in +95 deg temps 3 pm in SC recently. One flight for one guy was cut very short when his iPad Pro shut down. S3 kicked it all 3 batteries. Another day it was 102 and the iPad Pro lasted a minute or two while the S3 ran 2 batteries worth before giving a temp warning (it did not shut down).  You could cook an egg on the back side of the S3. It was very hot that day.

How can this all of a sudden just happen? As Apple did with the iPhone slowing it down so that consumers buy their new products, I hope DJI isn't doing the same luring demand to their July 18th announcement?

It's looking like my Mavic Pro now cannot fly properly with these software updates, meaning everyone will now need to purchase the Mavic Pro II to have that same past flying experience? I have zero confidence in DJI now that this has happened, you don't all of a sudden issue a software update that causes problems with choppy video, etc to 80% of your customers by accident?

I believe any smart device with 4 GB RAM should have no problem running DJI GO 4. My Nexus 5 has 2 GB RAM and can stream and playback VUDU movies in full HDX without a problem, if a 2 GB device can do this then how can my Samsung S7 or your S3 stumble to levels this poorly? Both the S8 and S9 have 4 GB RAM, no difference?

**The Apple iPhone 8 that is best optimized to run DJI GO 4 has less than 4 GB RAM.** The iPhone 8 Plus has 3 GB RAM and the iPhone 8 has 2 GB RAM. How can Samsung devices running with 4 GB RAM not be adequate for handling DJI GO 4? This just doesn't make any sense to me? The S7 has double the RAM of the iPhone 8, plus a Super-Amoled 2560x1440 display compared to iPhone 8 that is IPS 1334x750. In direct sunlight Samsung can sufficiently display DJI GO 4, someone using an iPhone 8 cannot properly visually see the iPhone 8 display? Look I have no problem buying an Apple device if conceptually there was good reason for me, but to make the switch just because it's Apple versus Android when Android has better devices seems ludicrous?
2018-6-22
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-22 13:23
How can this all of a sudden just happen? As Apple did with the iPhone slowing it down so that consumers buy their new products, I hope DJI isn't doing the same luring demand to their July 18th announcement?

It's looking like my Mavic Pro now cannot fly properly with these software updates, meaning everyone will now need to purchase the Mavic Pro II to have that same past flying experience? I have zero confidence in DJI now that this has happened, you don't all of a sudden issue a software update that causes problems with choppy video, etc to 80% of your customers by accident?

I have a Mini4 I can and do use as well.

My issue here is coming from a "why all of a sudden" thing as you have suggested. When users of any mobile app have to revert to previous versions, that tells you all you need to know.

Just today I have counted well over 20 users on FB MP areas all reporting "glitchy pixelated non usable video" so those number of users with problems is growing.

Another user just bought his MP and wants to return it. Others there suggesting "buy a Mini 4" is just a ridiculous snide remark imo. That helps nobody.  Why buy something that is a lesser product when the mfg makes an app for versions that should run well when in spec. I don't get comments like that.

I use IOS and Android products. Some apps are specific to the device, GO4 is not, and IMO the buggy feed, disconnects and other problems should be fixed soon.  Other users of IOS gear would not want to be hearing Go Buy An Android phone if their Apple device wasn't stable enough.

All I can say really, is there are many users growing tired of the products the pay $1000 for to be inoperable, and this is making them more weary of DJI for future products.
2018-6-22
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-6-20 13:32

DJI updates have created a ton of bugs for Android users, and imo it is not a compatibility problem, but more of a now DJI Go4 is bloated worse than a $99 tablet could be. When older versions of the app work without fail on the same devices from hundreds of users having said problems with latest updates... it's not the tablet or phone at fault.

This actually started back in late 2017. My MP went useless b/c of this defect in Go4; actually lost my Mavic last Nov...and STILL working through DJI Support to get it replaced under warranty.  It's been hell to say the least

https://forum.dji.com/thread-120543-2-1.html
2018-6-22
Use props
gtnash
New
Flight distance : 114459 ft

Backing up to 4.2.16 worked for me too for essential ph-1.
2018-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules