Mavic retrieve options
2135 23 2018-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

Hi guys looking at getting a new mavic pro and had a couple questions.What retraival methods for a mavic if in the case of an ocean crash? Im thinking in respect to the DJI refresh program. I was keen on using the drone as a bait dropper over the ocean. I have read that the refresh program will only cover the drone if the drone is actually retreived. Would it be possible to attach a light rope to the base of the drone prior to a crash for retreval?

This was the bait dropper I was looking at - https://dronefishing.com/product/mavic-pro-gannet-bait-release/
I was thinking of using a second rod attached directly to the base of the mavic with some weighty braid to keep the line below the drone that could be used in the case of a retreival.

Have I read the refresh program correctly? Will the drone be replaced so long as it is retreived?

Thanks
2018-6-17
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

This is what I was trying to acheive.

2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for what happened. Yes. You can use the service plan you purchased as long as you have the drone in your hands. You can start a repair case online: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-6-17
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-17 03:14
Hello there. We apologize for what happened. Yes. You can use the service plan you purchased as long as you have the drone in your hands. You can start a repair case online: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index

Nothing has happened yet. I wanted to buy one and see if this setup is okay. I see from your reply that this would be covered by the extended warranty. Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience with attaching a rope to the mavic?
2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Cyprella Posted at 2018-6-17 03:19
Nothing has happened yet. I wanted to buy one and see if this setup is okay. I see from your reply that this would be covered by the extended warranty. Thanks.

No problem. If you have any other concerns, feel free to approach us.
2018-6-17
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nothing has happened yet. I wanted to buy one and see if this setup is okay. I see from your reply that this would be covered by the extended warranty. Thanks.

I have the gannet and it works well, but attaching a second line to the Mavic sounds like it could get messy if they get tangled or foul the props. If it went under it would probably get snagged on something, you would need to add floatation as well
2018-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You might be better going to the gym and strengthening your left arm and throw, (;+) , your biggest problem will be any slack in the line your drone will be pulled down, because motor will be blocked, your best bet is to buy a €50 drone try it with that and you might see how daft this would be.
Regards to dji Care refresh it won’t cover you for damage caused by carrying payloads and your log will record as a problem for your crash.

2018-6-17
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-17 03:33
You might be better going to the gym and strengthening your left arm and throw, (;+) , your biggest problem will be any slack in the line your drone will be pulled down, because motor will be blocked, your best bet is to buy a €50 drone try it with that and you might see how daft this would be.
Regards to dji Care refresh it won’t cover you for damage caused by carrying payloads and your log will record as a problem for your crash.

Don't exactly appreciate the tone but thanks for the response. So any form of payload carrying will be detected in flight logs and will make them deny the claim? As for slack in the line, wont the gannet holder already be taking the weight in the slack of one line? Two cant lines cant be that bad.
2018-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Cyprella Posted at 2018-6-17 03:38
Don't exactly appreciate the tone but thanks for the response. So any form of payload carrying will be detected in flight logs and will make them deny the claim? As for slack in the line, wont the gannet holder already be taking the weight in the slack of one line? Two cant lines cant be that bad.

Don’t know what you mean tone, was trying to help, if Mavic Pro is over loaded in anyway it will give a warning.
2018-6-17
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>
United States

By a 50 dollar drone.  I would hate to see you pay $$$$ for an MP just to have it go for a swim.
2018-6-17
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

You may want to consider this type of drone.   I would think it is perfect for what you want.  The YouTube reviews are pretty good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Swellpro- ... words=fishing+drone
2018-6-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cyprella Posted at 2018-6-17 03:38
Don't exactly appreciate the tone but thanks for the response. So any form of payload carrying will be detected in flight logs and will make them deny the claim? As for slack in the line, wont the gannet holder already be taking the weight in the slack of one line? Two cant lines cant be that bad.

he's irish, thats just friendly banter! dont worry about him poking at ya.   

but ya, personally, i wouldn't trust a mavic pro or air or a spark to be a bait dropper over a salty ocean with boat moving about out of sync with the drone....  simple reason of looking how poor the clearance is between props and the belly of the drone where the lines would attach..    that being said, a phantom would be a better bait dropper for clearance since got those longer legs and more clearance, and potentially depending which phantom you get probably more lift to fight being dragged down.

phantom 3 SE is what.. like $400 USD i think..? i dont know, but that might be a better bait dropper than a mavic.
edit: $480 USD refurbished for phantom 3 SE

https://store.dji.com/product/ph ... m=pages-refurbished
2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, appreciate your new ideas, however, it is not recommended to modify the drone or add the third-party accessories on your drone, we are unable to assure the compatibility and the performance of the third-party accessories, which might cause a potential threat to the flight safety. And it will also void your warranty. As a new user of the drone, you are recommended to read the user manual carefully and make a preflight checklist as the video below shows, please choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to fly the drone, thank you very much for your support.

2018-6-17
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

Far_North Posted at 2018-6-17 08:44
You may want to consider this type of drone.   I would think it is perfect for what you want.  The YouTube reviews are pretty good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Swellpro-Waterproof-Fishing-Fisherman-Release/dp/B071W2RS5W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1529253951&sr=8-6&keywords=fishing+drone

The swell pro splash drone 3 is perfect for the use case however its overall features are lacking (collision sensors and what not). Its also over 2100$ AUD compared to 1300 for a Mavic Pro. I think that the suggestion for a phantom 3 would be quite good as it is a bit more heavy and stable. Any advantages between the different phantom 3 models?
2018-6-17
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-17 09:20
he's irish, thats just friendly banter! dont worry about him poking at ya.   

but ya, personally, i wouldn't trust a mavic pro or air or a spark to be a bait dropper over a salty ocean with boat moving about out of sync with the drone....  simple reason of looking how poor the clearance is between props and the belly of the drone where the lines would attach..    that being said, a phantom would be a better bait dropper for clearance since got those longer legs and more clearance, and potentially depending which phantom you get probably more lift to fight being dragged down.

Unfortunately refurbished products aren't available in Australia . Bit scared of purchasing second hand ones. If I do get a 2nd hand, what should I look out for?
2018-6-17
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

This really has got to be the most um how do I say it without coming off as being an A$$ well not the brightest idea.  I mean seriously if you want something to take a line out just get something cheap.  If you have the $$ to fork over for this mind sending some my way?  
2018-6-17
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-17 20:09
This really has got to be the most um how do I say it without coming off as being an A$$ well not the brightest idea.  I mean seriously if you want something to take a line out just get something cheap.  If you have the $$ to fork over for this mind sending some my way?

Ahahah. I'm inspired by videos like these using a phantom. Make it look so easy.

2018-6-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting - be sure to post your footage when you do it
2018-6-18
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-6-18 00:46
Interesting - be sure to post your footage when you do it

For sure will do!! May wait for the new mavic!
2018-6-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cyprella Posted at 2018-6-18 02:01
For sure will do!! May wait for the new mavic!

Oh yes, one-month today
2018-6-18
Use props
Cyprella
lvl.1

Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-6-18 02:10
Oh yes, one-month today

??? What do you mean one month?
2018-6-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cyprella Posted at 2018-6-18 02:17
??? What do you mean one month?

Have you not seen the posts? DJI have announced a media wide presentation scheduled to be held on 18 July (one-month from today) in NYC. Everyone is expecting a new drone release...
2018-6-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cyprella Posted at 2018-6-17 20:03
Unfortunately refurbished products aren't available in Australia . Bit scared of purchasing second hand ones. If I do get a 2nd hand, what should I look out for?

thats a shame not availble in australia.

refurbished drones from Dji are trusted, they replace pretty much everything and test everything to same standards as new and plus usually refurbs are the first to see a hardware level fix on issues plaguing drones..

infact personally, and kind of secretly im waiting for Mavic Air's to reach the refurbished sales pages because i want both the discount and the problems fixed that MA's been suffering.  
2018-6-18
Use props
simonmichel20
New

Bangladesh

Fishing is a favorite pastime to many. People have been fishing from the ancient time using various methods. Fishing drones are the latest addition to the modern fishing methods. It's pretty frustrating to spend hours without having the desired result. So, I decided to add a fishing drone to my fishing arsenal. It helps me to know where the catch is and where to drop the baits.
Well, I'm not using the Mavic pro. It's the DJI Phantom 3 Standard Quadcopter Drone. If you're one of them who want to fly a drone that fits in a tight budget, this one is for them. This drone comes with a 12 MP camera to record a 7k quality video. You'll get a 25 minutes of flight time from the 2 lbs drone. One more thing- it has a 1000m of transmission distance. I love to fish with my drone as it is easy to fly and to control. Automatic take-off and landing feature makes excellent value for it's money.
2020-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules