Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Looking for replacement bird side antennas
4150 25 2015-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Does anyone know where I could get hold of a new set of bird-side antennas?  Ebay...NO... amazon... NO.  ;(  DJI.... NO.  No one seems to have them.  

Thanks,
2015-5-15
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

You may have to get the whole enchilada....or get the rp-SMA pig tails and remove the SMA end.

Receiver

Receiver
image.jpg
2015-5-15
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Are you looking for stock antenna's or for higher gain antenna's.?
2015-5-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-16 19:14
Are you looking for stock antenna's or for higher gain antenna's.?

Trying to find replacement stock antennas.   I've replaced my wifi module and range extender, distances before  FPV drop seem about 1/2 of what they should be. I'm thinking I have a bum antenna and want to replace to see if that's my issue.
2015-5-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-16 11:01
You may have to get the whole enchilada....or get the rp-SMA pig tails and remove the SMA end.

Ray... I should've been more clear... I'm looking for the FPV antennas  (little square ones). My control distances are all good!
2015-5-16
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

i have the 2 square ones i took out of mine, PM me
2015-5-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

pb05life@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-16 22:03
i have the 2 square ones i took out of mine, PM me

PB......  I'm usually pretty adept but can't figure out how to start a PM.     Anyone have the magic process to do this??  lol
2015-5-16
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-5-17 02:46
PB......  I'm usually pretty adept but can't figure out how to start a PM.     Anyone have the m ...

I found this......custom WiFi cables. You're looking for the MMCX angle connector type.

http://wifiexpert.us/customRFCable.php
2015-5-16
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... XM/view?usp=sharing

is this what you are referring to?

Oh and this is the worse forum site i have ever used, complete garbage. just saying

2015-5-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

pb05life@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-17 08:45
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... XM/view?usp=sharing

is this what you are referring to?

I can't really see what connectors are on the end of your cables. If those are the ones than came from inside the phantom with the MMCX connectors and not from the inside of the range extender then, yes.   What type of phantom did they come out of?  I have a Vision 2 plus.
2015-5-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-17 06:42
I found this......custom WiFi cables. You're looking for the MMCX angle connector type.

http://wi ...

thanks Raybro.. I'm looking for the actual antennas, not the extension cables.   

2015-5-16
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-5-17 08:56
I can't really see what connectors are on the end of your cables. If those are the ones than came  ...

p2v+ but they are the ones I pulled from my extender. I thought that they might be the same antenna on both sides. I have never had my phantom apart to know for sure. But if the wire is different it is just a single wire to solder
2015-5-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

pb05life@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-17 09:06
p2v+ but they are the ones I pulled from my extender. I thought that they might be the same antenn ...

I don't know if they're the same antennas or not .  I've got two extenders and get the same results with each so I guess I could pull the antennas out of one of them an give it a go!  Thanks for the idea!!   I'm still going to try to find a set that goes into the phantom itself .   Maybe someone who had modified their phantom and are not using theirs will want to unload them.

These forums have turned us all into mini- technicians.  LOVE IT!!!
2015-5-16
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

In the very near future I am changing mine in my phantom. I'll keep you in mind.

Just changing the antennas on my remote and extender I have been able to go to 4000ft. going to try to go more tomorrow. now the weak link is the phantom anttenas
2015-5-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

pb05life@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-17 09:22
In the very near future I am changing mine in my phantom. I'll keep you in mind.

Just changing th ...

Thanks!!!  I would appreciate that!!!  Unfortunately my weak link hasn't gotten me to the 3000' mark yet.  I've dropped the $ for the itelie panel, new wifi repeater, and new wifi module on the bird itself and new cables for the repeater.    I WILL solve this issue... it may take me 50 years....but I WILL figure this out!!!  In actuality, I'm actually grateful for the issues because I've learned SOO much about my bird.

Good luck on your quest.. keep us updated.
2015-5-16
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

In my estimation replacing the stock antennas is going to be a booger because of where they are located!  Even if you do I think you'll be disappointed by the result.

Phantom2V  VideoAntenna.jpg

Since you goal is increased performance you may want to consider an entirely different type of antenna.  First thing you're going to need is a cable to route to the outside and I think this is probably it:
MMCX TO RP-SMA FEMALE ADAPTER CABLE

Here's something else to consider:
BIRD-SIDE VIDEO UPGRADE KIT LHCP 2.4GHZ

(and no, I'm not a shill for FPVLR!)

2015-5-18
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-19 04:16
In my estimation replacing the stock antennas is going to be a booger because of where they are loca ...

Thanks Gil... Actually I'm considering leaving the originals in place and using the new ones to re mount in the front and back of the bird.  I've hear that the clover antennas don't work with the itelite panel.  Have you hear this??
2015-5-18
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-5-19 12:00
Thanks Gil... Actually I'm considering leaving the originals in place and using the new ones to re ...

Short answer... no.  

The propagation patterns on both the transmitter and receiver should match.  The itelite panel uses a linear polarized antennas and the cloverleaf uses a right hand circular polarization and should be used with another right hand circular polarized antenna for best performance,
2015-5-19
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-19 17:30
Short answer... no.  

The propagation patterns on both the transmitter and receiver should match. ...

The stock 2.4ghz antennas on the Phamtom 2 vision Plus are left hand polarized so you should be using a left hand polarized pinwheel unless you have changed the bird side antennas to right hand polarized. All of fpvlr antennas the the Phamton 2 Vision Plus are left hand polarized.
2015-5-19
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-5-17 02:46
PB......  I'm usually pretty adept but can't figure out how to start a PM.     Anyone have the m ...

Ok, first of a you have to swear an oath to the Great Bird of the Universe not to divulge these secrets!  Well, it's not exactly the same as PM but if you wanted to email somebody on the forum I'll give you a clue as to where it might be found...
PM_SecretDecoder.jpg

(presuming the DJI account profile has their email and username listed as the same)

2015-5-20
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for posting the pinwheels gil, l bought one of those, l need to try something - l'm flying blind.
2015-5-20
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-20 18:50
Ok, first of a you have to swear an oath to the Great Bird of the Universe not to divulge these sec ...

AHHHH ... secret safe with me grasshopper!!   Thanks for the info on the pinwheels as well.   I was able to get a set sent to me by another user who pulled them from his bird.    Since you're the expert on polarity etc.... as an alternate to mounting my new antennas to the front and rear per DBS  mod's $10 trick... would rubber duckies match the itelite polarity?  I've heard possibly, yes, and no.  
2015-5-21
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-5-22 11:09
AHHHH ... secret safe with me grasshopper!!   Thanks for the info on the pinwheels as well.   I wa ...

Sheesh, I am by no means an expert!  I am learning this stuff as I go by spending a lot of time doing Google searches and reading a lot of different articles.  In spite of my background as a Signal Officer in the Army I am still having to cramp some dormant brain cells while I'm trying to figure this all out.  

A simple yes or no answer to your question is pretty worthless without some explanation of how it is derived.  Would it work, yes.  Would you be happy with the result, depends on how far you want to fly before the signal turns to crap.  To really get the most out of your antennas you need to understand more than just the polarization.  There is also the pattern in which they propagate as well as how they receive the signal.  But I'm rambling...

Polarization: The rubber duck and the itelite radiate vertically polarized (linear) when its electric field is perpendicular to the Earth's surface.  So, as long as the antennas are straight up and down they will "see" each other just fine.  

Propagation:  For simplification lets consider the rubber duckie pattern like a donut radiating equally in all directions.  The itelite is more like a wide beam radiating in whatever direction you are pointing it (meaning you have to keep it pointed at the other  antenna to get the best result)

One of the limitations of this arrangement is that something as simple as the Phantom turning on its axis can result in a signal loss.  Or how it deals with multipath interference or any other can of worms that you will discover once you start to read up on all this stuff!  (Even now I can feel a brain cramp coming on -- ouch!)

Here's some "light" reading material to get you started:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?116-FPV-PILOT-TRAINING-CENTER-YOUR-ROAD-TO-FPV-SUCCESS
http://rcexplorer.se/educational/2009/06/understanding-antenna-gain/
http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/FPV#Antennas
2015-5-22
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-22 17:43
Sheesh, I am by no means an expert!  I am learning this stuff as I go by spending a lot of time do ...

Ha!!! Thanks Gil.  I'll check all this out and see how much I can understand.... I suspect I'll start rocking in my chair and drooling trying to wrap my head around it.   The electronic side of all of this just blows my mind!!!  I'm really good with physical mechanical understanding of things (things I can actually see).  So if you see a post from me that looks like gibberish, please call my psychologist as I've probably short circuited my brain an blown a capacitor!
2015-5-23
Use props
claudiolima
lvl.1

Brazil

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-5-19 06:55
The stock 2.4ghz antennas on the Phamtom 2 vision Plus are left hand polarized so you should be using a left hand polarized pinwheel unless you have changed the bird side antennas to right hand polarized. All of fpvlr antennas the the Phamton 2 Vision Plus are left hand polarized.

Hi stock12to32, you must remember that the antennas Phantom 2 Vision Plus has a transmission frequency 5,8 Ghz, no like you said 2,4 Ghz!
2019-3-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This thread is older than dirt.

Dji antennas are linear.  

The p2v+ uses 2.4 GHz for fpv
2019-3-23
Use props
Advanced