Phantom 4 Pro+ Controller over heating
1329 4 2018-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
webmastadj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292602 ft
United States

So I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I experienced yesturday while flying my phantom 4 pro.  The issue was actually with the controller.  I have the Pro+ controller.  My first flight went without an issue.  A full 24 minutes.  My second flight however not so much.  The app on the controller froze and locked up within less than 5 minutes in the air.  I was still able to fly the aircraft with the controls but all video and flight data were gone.  I still had line of sight (which I always try to maintain) and was able to bring it back safetly.

Once the aircraft was back saftely, I rebooted the controller.  The screen came back up and everything looked good.  I relaunched.  However it happened again about 7 minutes into that flight.  Again, I brought the aircraft back.  At that point, I decided to cancel operations and packed up the P4P for the day until I could do some more diagnostic in a controlled maner.

Currently, my theory is heat.  The system that runs the DJI GO app on the P4P+ controller overheated, causing it to lockup.  The first flight was at 9:00 am.  The second flight was at 11:15 am.  Between both flights, the controller and drone was in the manufacturer foam case in direct sun.  I haven't had an issue like this in the past but yesturday was the hotest I have had it out.

I was just looking for anyone else with this same issue and if they found heat could be releated?  If not, what other issues would have been the cause?  I don't believe it was an issue with software as my first flight had no issues.

Thanks.
2018-6-17
Use props
Tearuup
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123763 ft
United States

I too have the P4P+ and posted last weekend about the RC getting very warm to the touch.  I did not have any issues with lockups or any messages indicating a problem.  Just the bottom of the RC very warm.  Not hot as I could keep my hand on it but very noticeable.
Please post if you find it is the app.
2018-6-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Don't you get the "DJI Go 4 isn't responding." message?
You can generate a crash log (tombstone.zip) file and make available for the developers, this would hopefully help them solve the issues as the current version is quite unstable.

See this thread.
2018-6-17
Use props
Dovivan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

i have similar problem. propably find issue, just check

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1414222

2018-6-20
Use props
webmastadj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292602 ft
United States

Update:  I charged up all the batteries and took the drone out yesterday.  No issues.

The items that changed are:
1) It was not sitting out in the heat
2) It was about 10 degrees cooler
3) Both the controller and drone had an SD card in them
4) Only turned on the controller once

@Tearuup The bottom always gets warm.  Don't no if you noticed, but there is a small fan that will kick in when it starts to get warm.

@KedDK It did prompt me but I only got a wait for the app or close the app.  When I clicked close, the screen just went black.  I had to restart the entire controller to bring it back.  If it happens again, I will look for the dump file.

@Dovivan Thanks for the information.  I will try those steps if it start to happen constantly.  I did not have an SD card in the RC when it crashed.  I normally keep a 16GB one in the controller.
2018-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules