13542 19 2015-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justin.bregar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19035 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, I have a Phantom 2 v2.0 that's acting a little weird compared to Phantoms I've owned in the past.

Upon startup, pretty much every time, it gives me the long red/yellow alternating, which means it wants a compass calibration.

When you do a compass calibration, do the Naza dance, then it goes to a fast red blink.

You can actually fire it up and take off in this state and it goes to a normal green blinking "GPS" mode indicator.

Is there something wrong with this thing?

Edit: edited to correctly show "compass" calibration, rather than GPS
2015-5-15
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

After compass calibration you will get a green flash then a series of red flashes which is normal for Naza mode.
2015-5-15
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Justin the others are correct. If you get flashing from red then yellow you either need compass calibration or compass calibration failed. Once you get a good compass calibration you should see yellow then green with longer flashes of each instead of quick flashes. During coass calibration don't have any ferious metal close by. DJI even says no cell phones or even car keys as that can throw the compass off during calibration.
2015-5-16
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

if it's just fast red flashes you're near a no-fly zone.
2015-5-16
Use props
justin.bregar
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I meant the compass calibration... doing too many things at once.

I think this is the no-fly zone. Failed compass calibration should just go back to red/yellow slow flash, if I remember correctly.
2015-5-16
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

justin.bregar, you're right. The Phantom manual says a failed compass calibration will result in red/yellow flashes.

Here are DJI's no fly zones:
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc
2015-5-16
Use props
justin.bregar
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure that list of no-flys is comprehensive.

The spot where I was doing testing the other day is near a small airport, but it's not listed on the DJI list there. Another spot where I've seen a different P2 (v1.0) do the same thing recently was a soccer field near what's essentially a state prison.

Interestingly, the P2 will still take off and fly just fine... even returning to normal LED operation after taking off.
2015-5-18
Use props
moonlightbeamer
lvl.1

Canada

justin.bregar Posted at 2015-5-18 22:35
I'm not sure that list of no-flys is comprehensive.

The spot where I was doing testing the other da ...

i think the red flashing you saw is when not all 6 satellites are locked yet, in naza mode, 1 green, 3 red; then 1 green 2 red; then 1 green 1 red; at the end, only green... this is the procedure of locking more and more (from less than 5 to over 6 satellites). you just caught that in action. I saw those red lights in my p2v as well. no issue.
2015-5-18
Use props
justin.bregar
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

This isn't that. This is a very rapid red blinking. No alternating with green at all.
2015-5-19
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

justin.bregar Posted at 2015-5-20 12:50
This isn't that. This is a very rapid red blinking. No alternating with green at all.

Hello Justin,

Do you have already found the solution or reason for the compass error RED LED?

Following your threat...
Same compass issue with my P2 after software upgrade.
DJI did a mistake by upgrading the IMU to 3.14 under an old DJI Assistand version 3.6 in steat a of 3.8.
Anyway, I did already all other recommendations I found on the web.
Alike,  install assist soft 3.8, a hard reset the P2,, install the new software 3.14 , calibration of thE IMU.
(As in fact calibration wasn't necessary because all values were OK)
At the end , calibration end up in RED LED  flashing.
2015-5-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

If you are getting a solid series of red flashes after calibration then something is not right. You may want to try an advanced IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface without disturbing the Phantom during the process.  Also, you may have a bad battery. Try another battery if you have one.
Once compass calibration is complete, you will get one green flash (indicating the Phantom is in GPS mode, then red flashes indicating Satellite status.  
2015-5-28
Use props
Jo2014
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

I successfully flew my phantom 2 for the first time in January (in Phantom mode, not Naza) after calibrating it as per all the instructions.  After that I put it into NAZA mode with the same software.  Yesterday, I was ready to once again fly but have been unable to calibrate the compass on its vertical axis.   The first attempt yielded a flashing of 1 green and then 3 blinking red.  At the time I didn't remember that these flashing colours were linked to its being in NAZA mode as was expecting the LEDs to turn off as per the instructions for successful calibration when it's in Phantom mode.  So plugged the Phantom into the Assistant and changed it back to Phantom mode.  It appears to calibrate fine on its horizontal axis as the LEDs go from yellow to green but the clockwise spin on the vertical axis results in the LEDs either returning to flashing yellow or fast red flashing, as opposed to turning off.  

Today I have tried advanced IMU calibration with the Assistant software both in Phantom and NAZA modes and still no luck.  (And to complicate matters, the advanced calibration has been returning a message that the temperature of the MC is too hot and to turn off for 15 mins to let it cool down and try again, which I did but still no luck.  Based on what I've read on the net, this temperature warning is some glitch in the software and one should simply click through and let the calibration continue. I have done that as well).

My Compass Mod value during the advanced calibration was 1272 in Phantom mode and moved up to 1315 when in NAZA mode.  The info in the Assistant says the normal range is between -500 - 500.  I'd be grateful for feedback on this.

Needless to say, the Phantom's compass is still NOT calibrating on the vertical axis despite following all the IMU calibrating instructions.  Could a problem with the GPS in the unit be the cause?  Or do I need to go try the whole magnet process I see discussed in some fora?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  And I'm hoping the DJI folks will come forward with help too please
2015-6-4
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Jo2014 Posted at 2015-6-5 10:31
I successfully flew my phantom 2 for the first time in January (in Phantom mode, not Naza) after cal ...

Jo,
When doing the advanced calibration, I use a bubble level across the top of the motor spindles and shim up the legs to get the Phantom level. Once level I perform the advanced calibration and ensure the Phantom is perfectly still while it is calibrating. Most people ignore the high temperature warning and I have as well. If you power it up and don't waste too much time to start the calibration I believe it is ok to ignore the warning. I have also heard of putting their Phantoms in the refrigerator for a brief time prior to a calibration.
As far as the compass calibration, I have a post I created as to what the normal sequence of LEDs should be displayed after successful calibration and I still do not have a definitive answer. mine, when I complete the vertical rotation I get 3 Red flashes, then a long series (2 or 3 seconds) of green flashes, then it goes into the GPS/Satellite status mode. Prior to updating to 3.14 I used to get 1 red flash, then the long series of green before going into the GPS/Satellite mode.
2015-6-5
Use props
Jo2014
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-5 22:38
Jo,
When doing the advanced calibration, I use a bubble level across the top of the motor spindles  ...

Thanks Raybro.  I just read your LED sequence post.  I can't recall if on Wednesday when I first tried to calibrate I got the long series of green flashes before it went to 1 green then red/red/red.

I've posted my issue in the help section, with my queries clearly identified this time so am hoping there will be more feedback.

I will not fly it unless the compass can calibrate.
2015-6-5
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Jo2014 Posted at 2015-6-5 22:50
Thanks Raybro.  I just read your LED sequence post.  I can't recall if on Wednesday when I first t ...

Another thing I have noticed since I updated to 3.14. I never had indication of a compass failure with the alternating yellow red flashes after the vertical rotation. Ok, since the update I have gotten on occasion the continuous red flashes after the vertical rotation which tells me it failed.
2015-6-5
Use props
justin.bregar
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I ended up returning mine to the retailer that sold it to me.
2015-6-8
Use props
Manish Gupta
New

India

justin.bregar Posted at 2015-5-19 20:50

Sir!!! Please help me I have the same problem at the end of compass calibration it starts blinking red . Please help me sir
2020-1-27
Use props
Manish Gupta
New

India

Jo2014 Posted at 2015-6-4 18:31
I successfully flew my phantom 2 for the first time in January (in Phantom mode, not Naza) after calibrating it as per all the instructions.  After that I put it into NAZA mode with the same software.  Yesterday, I was ready to once again fly but have been unable to calibrate the compass on its vertical axis.   The first attempt yielded a flashing of 1 green and then 3 blinking red.  At the time I didn't remember that these flashing colours were linked to its being in NAZA mode as was expecting the LEDs to turn off as per the instructions for successful calibration when it's in Phantom mode.  So plugged the Phantom into the Assistant and changed it back to Phantom mode.  It appears to calibrate fine on its horizontal axis as the LEDs go from yellow to green but the clockwise spin on the vertical axis results in the LEDs either returning to flashing yellow or fast red flashing, as opposed to turning off.  

Today I have tried advanced IMU calibration with the Assistant software both in Phantom and NAZA modes and still no luck.  (And to complicate matters, the advanced calibration has been returning a message that the temperature of the MC is too hot and to turn off for 15 mins to let it cool down and try again, which I did but still no luck.  Based on what I've read on the net, this temperature warning is some glitch in the software and one should simply click through and let the calibration continue. I have done that as well).

Sir!!! Did you find the solution ??
2020-1-27
Use props
Manish Gupta
New

India

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-5 07:06
Another thing I have noticed since I updated to 3.14. I never had indication of a compass failure with the alternating yellow red flashes after the vertical rotation. Ok, since the update I have gotten on occasion the continuous red flashes after the vertical rotation which tells me it failed.

Sir!!! I have also the same problem of getting red blinking light at the end of compass calibration.
2020-1-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What drone do you have?  If a P2, are you in Phantom mode or Naza mode?  Is there any green mixed up with the red?  A video showing your drone would be ideal.
2020-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules