HELP - $350 IN DUTY CHARGES FOR DJI REFRESH REPLACEMENT
984 20 2018-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Olasoceano
lvl.2

Canada

My son saved all of his money to buy a DJI Spark in November of last year (2017).  He also bought the DJI Refresh program.  After months of absolutely loving his Spark he had a small accident with water and had to send it back to DJI for a Refresh evaluation.  DJI determined it had to be replaced and we paid the first Refresh fee for the new Spark replacement.
DJI shipped the replacement Spark to us via UPS and now UPS wants almost $350 in duty charges (we're in Canada)!!  How is this even possible?  When we bought the original drone we paid absolutely nothing for shipping or duty charges.  UPS demanded cash on delivery payment before they would deliver the package and we called DJI for answers with a promise that a manager would email us back.  No email was received and instead UPS then delivered the drone and didn't ask for any money.  We figured DJI must have sorted it all out, especially after they told us we shouldn't have to pay anything during that call.

However, UPS has now sent us a letter demanding payment.  I called DJI again with a promise that a manager would email us, but so far nothing after almost a week.

My son saved every cent he had for that drone and cannot affort to pay $350 for any sort of charge let alone one that seems should be free.  

Can anyone help with advice?  My son is devastated and I'm irate.  Thanks!  
2018-6-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

When taking deliver of your drone from UPS - Did you sign anything saying you agreed to pay UPS $350 in duty charges?
Question for UPS - Who gave them authority to collect duty charges from you?

2018-6-17
Use props
Reas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114895 ft
Denmark

Damn. I hope for all the best
2018-6-18
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-17 22:19
When taking deliver of your drone from UPS - Did you sign anything saying you agreed to pay UPS $350 in duty charges?

The government gave UPS the authority to do custom clearance and importduty collection for them, like they do with many, if not all big delivery companies.
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. I have tried to get your case number via your forum account, however, there is no case number under your forum account, could you please provide your case number to us via PM? We'd like to check it first. At the same time, may I know your phone number and when did you contact our manager? We'll forward it to the proper team for an investigation.
Please don't worry, we'll try our best to help you. Thank you for your cooperation.
2018-6-18
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Did you contact UPS at any point? They must have described the objection route, even at first notion they gave you that you'd have to pay duties.
Clearly a mistake has been made, either by DJI not descibing well enough to UPS that this was a repair or waranty issue on the delivery package documents, or by UPS assessing the package descriptions wrong.

By accepting the package its likely considered a confirmation that you'd agree with the duties, so it might be a bit more difficult to object right now, still it should be possible if you contact UPS, make sure you have proof by documentation (emails with DJI, case handling screenshots of the DJI Refresh and proof of sending in your wrecked drone). Also, a confirmation you shouldn't have to pay duties from DJI could help, so contacting them again and getting something on paper/email could speed things up.
It will cost you some effort, but with proof they'll cancel the importduties, maybe a few dollars of custom clearance will still have to be paid, but I'd try to get DJI to reimburse that to you.
2018-6-18
Use props
Olasoceano
lvl.2

Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-17 22:19

Nope, it was just left at the door.  I'd be worried about any refuse to pay scenario and have a collection agency come after my son!
2018-6-18
Use props
Olasoceano
lvl.2

Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-6-18 00:34
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. I have tried to get your case number via your forum account, however, there is no case number under your forum account, could you please provide your case number to us via PM? We'd like to check it first. At the same time, may I know your phone number and when did you contact our manager? We'll forward it to the proper team for an investigation.
Please don't worry, we'll try our best to help you. Thank you for your cooperation.

I'll send you a PM with the case number.  You wouldn't find it under my account as it was my son who made the purchase and then created his own account.  He's an avid user here sharing his many photos and videos, but is too young to get involved in this type of issue.

Note, I only spoke with customer staff where a promise of a phone call from a manager was made.  But never happened.
2018-6-18
Use props
Olasoceano
lvl.2

Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-6-18 00:36
Did you contact UPS at any point? They must have described the objection route, even at first notion they gave you that you'd have to pay duties.
Clearly a mistake has been made, either by DJI not descibing well enough to UPS that this was a repair or waranty issue on the delivery package documents, or by UPS assessing the package descriptions wrong.

Yes, UPS was my first phone call and they said that DJI did not indicate the item was a repair or replacement.  That's when I called DJI for resolution and passed on what UPS said.

I still don't understand why we have to pay any duties under DJI's Refresh replacement program, let alone hundreds of dollars of duties!
2018-6-18
Use props
Olasoceano
lvl.2

Canada

Note I've passed on the case details to the above Administrator so I'll stay silent for a bit to give them some time to hopefully resolve.  Thanks for the support everyone!
2018-6-18
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Olasoceano Posted at 2018-6-18 09:25
Yes, UPS was my first phone call and they said that DJI did not indicate the item was a repair or replacement.  That's when I called DJI for resolution and passed on what UPS said.

I still don't understand why we have to pay any duties under DJI's Refresh replacement program, let alone hundreds of dollars of duties!

Good luck, you shouldn't have to pay duties, DJI and yourself should have enough proof to revise this error.
Cheers
2018-6-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.  Since it's back in your hands, tell ups to take a hike.
2018-6-18
Use props
shankar bhurtel
New

Nepal

Nice can you send me dji mavic pro for free please
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Olasoceano Posted at 2018-6-18 09:12
I'll send you a PM with the case number.  You wouldn't find it under my account as it was my son who made the purchase and then created his own account.  He's an avid user here sharing his many photos and videos, but is too young to get involved in this type of issue.

Note, I only spoke with customer staff where a promise of a phone call from a manager was made.  But never happened.

Received with thanks. This has been forwarded to the proper team, we will have someone to contact you soon. Hope the issue will be sorted out soon. Appreciate your patience.
2018-6-18
Use props
lot.wendigo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1638481 ft
Canada

The exact same has just recently happened to me.
I had my mavic serviced through Care Refresh and a few weeks after it was returned to me I received an invoice from UPS.
I had opened a ticket with DJI and was assured I would get an email from a supervisor within 48 hours, but I never did.
CAS-1885799-M7Q2W8 CRM:0636000000335
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

lot.wendigo Posted at 2018-6-20 06:32
The exact same has just recently happened to me.
I had my mavic serviced through Care Refresh and a few weeks after it was returned to me I received an invoice from UPS.
I had opened a ticket with DJI and was assured I would get an email from a supervisor within 48 hours, but I never did.

Sorry to know the issue still hasn't been sorted out, I checked the case, our supervisor has contacted you but only reached voicemail and your voicemailbox was already full.
Per the tracking number, you have received the package right? Did you pay the tax and duty fee by UPS in the end?
2018-6-20
Use props
lot.wendigo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1638481 ft
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-20 20:08
Sorry to know the issue still hasn't been sorted out, I checked the case, our supervisor has contacted you but only reached voicemail and your voicemailbox was already full.
Per the tracking number, you have received the package right? Did you pay the tax and duty fee by UPS in the end?

Responses through support are slow.
I've had the ticket auto-closed twice.

I received the drone many weeks ago. I received the invoice from UPS a couple weeks ago. I have not paid it.
2018-6-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

lot.wendigo Posted at 2018-6-26 08:23
Responses through support are slow.
I've had the ticket auto-closed twice.

Sorry about this. We'll forward this to the management for investigation and keep improving our service. They will review your case again and contact you during the working time.
2018-6-26
Use props
Olasoceano
lvl.2

Canada

I meant to post sooner...a manager from DJI contacted me the next day and assured that the UPS charges would be resolved so that we don't have to pay anything.  I'll update again if that turns out to be not the case, but so far seems like DJI has come through on this issue.  Thanks DJI!
2018-6-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Olasoceano Posted at 2018-6-29 11:10
I meant to post sooner...a manager from DJI contacted me the next day and assured that the UPS charges would be resolved so that we don't have to pay anything.  I'll update again if that turns out to be not the case, but so far seems like DJI has come through on this issue.  Thanks DJI!

Glad to know everything is turning out to be great, hope the issue will be sorted out soon. Please let us know if there is any other issue.
2018-6-29
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Olasoceano Posted at 2018-6-29 11:10
I meant to post sooner...a manager from DJI contacted me the next day and assured that the UPS charges would be resolved so that we don't have to pay anything.  I'll update again if that turns out to be not the case, but so far seems like DJI has come through on this issue.  Thanks DJI!

Good to hear that the issue will be resolved!
2018-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules