MY DRONE WAS STOLEN
12Next >
49521 75 2018-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ellie Smart
New

United Kingdom

I had my drone stolen from my car/house a few weeks ago, the police know about this. Is there any way to track the drone using serial number/last flight location? I just need to know if it's been flown/flagged up at another location.
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thank you for reaching DJI Forum , we are sorry to hear that your drone was stolen, we regret to tell you that there's no way that we can track the drone thru the serial number and its whereabouts,  
2018-6-18
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I guess they could, but people scream data protection and privacy and so they are probably not allowed.  Hope you get it back or at least get insurance payout.
2018-6-18
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

HomePoint Posted at 2018-6-18 13:35
I guess they could, but people scream data protection and privacy and so they are probably not allowed.  Hope you get it back or at least get insurance payout.

So true in this time!
2018-6-18
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss, it sucks! I think it would be a pretty easy thing to put a GPS tracker chip inside the drone with it's own tiny battery that would last 2-3days and recharge when you install the LiPo battery in the drone. Trackable by a simple app like Trackimo. Car rentals have them, Car dealers are installing them at the request of banks financing cars ( they do have to disclose it when renting or buying ). Tag it with the serial # of the drone so only the original or current owner can track it. It would be worth the $6-$10 a month to activate the SIM/SMS messaging.
2018-6-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-18 15:07
Sorry for your loss, it sucks! I think it would be a pretty easy thing to put a GPS tracker chip inside the drone with it's own tiny battery that would last 2-3days and recharge when you install the LiPo battery in the drone. Trackable by a simple app like Trackimo. Car rentals have them, Car dealers are installing them at the request of banks financing cars ( they do have to disclose it when renting or buying ). Tag it with the serial # of the drone so only the original or current owner can track it. It would be worth the $6-$10 a month to activate the SIM/SMS messaging.

dont even remind me of that BS where low credit dealers install GPS or remote kill switches.  that's sorta thing makes me so mad.  because they had one installed on one of my cars, and i paid for my car outright in cash from one of those lots...just happened to been where i found that car.  when i ripped out the GPS and killswitch they harassed me i told them go to play in traffic and kill themselves...

they hide the disclosure a lot of times into fine print on unrelated pages.  that's where mine was hidden!  

2018-6-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

If there was an iPad involved in the theft try to track that.
2018-7-10
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Mavic should sync the flight log and photos to original registered account if stolen. So the owner know where it is and have proof to report to police.
2018-7-10
Use props
IrvineCAPilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27444 ft
United States

I now join the ranks of people having their cars broken into the my Mavic Pro kit stolen, along with cameras, laptop, phones and more.
Since the mobile app can 'check in' to the DJI server for updates, they could very easily also transfer serial numbers.  If on a hot sheet, deactivate the application, or at least provide a warning to the thief.
It's only software...and the will to make it so.  Speak out DJI customers. Maybe they'll listen.
2018-9-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

IrvineCAPilot Posted at 2018-9-10 17:30
I now join the ranks of people having their cars broken into the my Mavic Pro kit stolen, along with cameras, laptop, phones and more.
Since the mobile app can 'check in' to the DJI server for updates, they could very easily also transfer serial numbers.  If on a hot sheet, deactivate the application, or at least provide a warning to the thief.
It's only software...and the will to make it so.  Speak out DJI customers. Maybe they'll listen.

this is the problem with most large companies..  they wont and dont listen unless forced to.  they pretending to listen to us though.     it wont be introduced until Dji gets threatened with a sales ban over it in EU and US for example..

part of the issue i can accept is complexity balancing checking in (internet required) and leaving people alone and letting them fly where may not be connectivity...  i know i would be hella annoyed if i took a planned (or unplanned even) trip somewhere without internet, tried to put my own drone up and it failed because couldn't check in and get status..
2018-9-10
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

IrvineCAPilot Posted at 2018-9-10 17:30
Since the mobile app can 'check in' to the DJI server for updates, they could very easily also transfer serial numbers.  If on a hot sheet, deactivate the application, or at least provide a warning to the thief.
It's only software...and the will to make it so.  Speak out DJI customers. Maybe they'll listen.

I agree, I think it is total BS that DJI 'can't' provide info on lost drones.  If a drone is stolen, the OWNER registers this drone with DJI.  Assuming the drone is flown again by anyone (eg. theifs) DJI's servers know exactly where the drone is via the flight logs when they are synced.  Every owner of a DJI drone should have full access to the flight records of the drones that they have registered.  This is in no way a privacy thing.   This would be EXACTLY the same system that both Apple and Android phones currently have.."Find my Phone".  Users/Owners should have access to remotely track their drones (for recovery purposes etc).  NOT having this ability is a huge security concern ...do you want who steals your drone to fly it into someone's property (or person) and have it crash with all your ownership info on the drone pointing blame AT YOU?? ( eg. your name/# ,. serial #, FAA Reg # etc).  Come on DJI!!!!!!!!!
2018-9-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

KindaichiShota Posted at 2018-7-10 00:55
Yesterday was the worst day for me. My mavic air was stolen as well. After joining here I decided to buy one and got one. Before I learn more about mavic air, someone break through my car which I also bought & almost new Nissan Skyline GTR For Sale  from abroad. I am very upset as two of my favorite things one was stolen and another was damaged a bit. I already informed local police and my insurance company about it. One good thing is the place was covered with security camera and trying to find out the face of the person. Lets see what happen.

hope they nail him, so very maddening.
2018-9-11
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

Well - just tell police that DJI could have hints about the thief because of the serial number of the drone. From my understanding of privacy and data protection policies it is possible for police to request personal information in such cases. This is how stolen cars with connectivity features are traced down and how cyber criminals are caught. It's all about asking the right people to ask the right questions
2018-9-11
Use props
Серёга
lvl.1
Bolivia

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-9-10 21:31
I agree, I think it is total BS that DJI 'can't' provide info on lost drones.  If a drone is stolen, the OWNER registers this drone with DJI.  Assuming the drone is flown again by anyone (eg. theifs) DJI's servers know exactly where the drone is via the flight logs when they are synced.  Every owner of a DJI drone should have full access to the flight records of the drones that they have registered.  This is in no way a privacy thing.   This would be EXACTLY the same system that both Apple and Android phones currently have.."Find my Phone".  Users/Owners should have access to remotely track their drones (for recovery purposes etc).  NOT having this ability is a huge security concern ...do you want who steals your drone to fly it into someone's property (or person) and have it crash with all your ownership info on the drone pointing blame AT YOU?? ( eg. your name/# ,. serial #, FAA Reg # etc).  Come on DJI!!!!!!!!!

Couldn’t agree more
2019-4-19
Use props
djiuser_g9Opwj69qHhq
lvl.2
Flight distance : 313166 ft
Belgium

My Mavic pro was stolen 10' ago from my car in Tenerife. I regret I won't be able to see where it will be used.

Can I at least lock the firmware updates or make it the new owner as hard as possible to take off?

They get stolen quiet often, please help your customers deal with this.
2019-4-22
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do not leave valuables in the car especially at vacation destination. Bums will break in over a pack of cigarettes or a fancy lighter. You leaving drone, camera and laptop?
2019-4-22
Use props
moiforward
lvl.1
Germany

Google "stolen drone database", currently the top link is pointing to https://stolen911.com/stolen-property/stolen-drone/
2019-4-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

KindaichiShota Posted at 2018-7-10 00:55
Yesterday was the worst day for me. My mavic air was stolen as well. After joining here I decided to buy one and got one. Before I learn more about mavic air, someone break through my car which I also bought & almost new Nissan Skyline GTR For Sale  from abroad. I am very upset as two of my favorite things one was stolen and another was damaged a bit. I already informed local police and my insurance company about it. One good thing is the place was covered with security camera and trying to find out the face of the person. Lets see what happen.

Get the Mavic 2 Zoom.  The zoom feature I use very often.  Sure it's 2-4x but it feels like you are 5-10x closer.
2019-4-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-9-10 21:31

That's what I was trying to raise back when registrations first became a thing.  What if someone takes your numbers and commits crimes but luckily no one does that.  Eventually through trials and a lot of lawyer fees they would determine it was someone else but it could have been all averted if people just took more care of their things.
2019-4-22
Use props
cep
lvl.1
Germany

moiforward@gmail.com Posted at 4-22 10:31
Google "stolen drone database", currently the top link is pointing to https://stolen911.com/stolen-property/stolen-drone/

Or general sites like https://www.stolenregister.com (#stolen gear database)
2019-4-22
Use props
djiuser_g9Opwj69qHhq
lvl.2
Spain

3BEPb Posted at 4-22 07:43
Do not leave valuables in the car especially at vacation destination. Bums will break in over a pack of cigarettes or a fancy lighter. You leaving drone, camera and laptop?

That's the kind of advice my grandma would give. Completely new for me as well!
<sarcastic mode off>

If I would only carry a camera, drone and laptop, that would indeed be possible. Some professionals like me carry more than that. I can't take it all with me all the time. Same goes for my collegues.

2019-4-22
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well I bet you make enough to get a replacement so quit bitching here.
Sarcasm always on
2019-4-22
Use props
djiuser_g9Opwj69qHhq
lvl.2
Spain

I don't think this discussion is about my income. And I don't think that the weight of someone's gear is an indication of a yearly income neither. Lots of professional photographers are struggling.

You have to ask yourself what your harsh posts add to this discussion of people that are robbed of their means of income.
2019-4-22
Use props
djiuser_WalXKEVu4mx2
New

United Kingdom

I lost my dji Mavic Air in Menton France during holiday
in park on 43.775303 ,7.495923  around 17.00.
Left accidentally on bench
If someone find please contact with me
At +447776777877
Thank you!
2019-6-20
Use props
fans6e224524
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15364 ft
  • >>>
United States

same isnt it crazy you can have 2+7+ satellites tracking you yet if someone takes it and turn it on even they say they cant help??? I could do this with my Iphone 10 years ago??????
2019-6-29
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find this policy DJI has is preposterous - my mavic Pro landed not at my home point next to me house but on the following street and when I went to retrieve the drone it was gone and this happened inside my neighborhood, DJI is referring to it as a fly-away but I had my name and contact details taped to the drone along with my FAA #. I believe this is likely should be considered as a  stolen drone?....
2019-6-29
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 6-29 11:21
I find this policy DJI has is preposterous - my mavic Pro landed not at my home point next to me house but on the following street and when I went to retrieve the drone it was gone and this happened inside my neighborhood, DJI is referring to it as a fly-away but I had my name and contact details taped to the drone along with my FAA #. I believe this is likely should be considered as a  stolen drone?....

When people crash drones on a person's private property... it can turn a good man into a thief because they wonder what would had happened if it landed on top of a loved one or themselves so they now justify keeping the drone and selling it for parts...
2019-6-29
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

bobsma Posted at 6-29 11:29
When people crash drones on a person's private property... it can turn a good man into a thief because they wonder what would had happened if it landed on top of a loved one or themselves so they now justify keeping the drone and selling it for parts...

Or it's stuck in a tree inside someone's backyard property which is what I initially suspected but it's been a month so someone should have located it by now?

Do you think it is presumptuous and rude to ask my neighbors if I could fetch a look inside their backyard trees for the drone?
2019-6-29
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 6-29 12:04
Or it's stuck in a tree inside someone's backyard property which is what I initially suspected but it's been a month so someone should have located it by now?

Do you think it is presumptuous and rude to ask my neighbors if I could fetch a look inside their backyard trees for the drone?

i would do it without asking then ask if need be. This has always been my first reaction... find the drone first then ask questions later.
2019-7-2
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

bobsma Posted at 7-2 20:57
i would do it without asking then ask if need be. This has always been my first reaction... find the drone first then ask questions later.

I was wrong, my Spark did some more search and rescue and after a hunch to look for the Mavic Pro on neighboring roofs the Spark spotted the Mavic Pro 3 houses down on my neighbor's roof.

The neighbor was an older man and he was totally cool with me hiring a crew with a ladder to fetch the Mavic Pro, which is en-route back to DJI for my Care Refresh + replacement.

Here are a few photos of the search & rescue...
2019-7-3
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

Search and rescue,
2019-7-4
Use props
RWD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice find Captain Dave.  Great idea to use to Spark for S & R, and nice to hear that your neighbor was OK with the retrieval.
2019-7-5
Use props
djiuser_O9uaUcPqoGXD
New

Brazil

AntDX316 Posted at 4-22 10:40
That's what I was trying to raise back when registrations first became a thing.  What if someone takes your numbers and commits crimes but luckily no one does that.  Eventually through trials and a lot of lawyer fees they would determine it was someone else but it could have been all averted if people just took more care of their things.

Good night friend, how are you? Just today my Phantom 3 was stolen. I'm Brazilian here is very expensive to buy drones! Only the USB cable is left, because I carry the drone in the original box, and today they stole everything! I would like to tell DJI for providing the experience of drone riding. Today the 10th of August 2019 I lost my drone to a gang that works in Sao Paulo, DJI, I have the drone registration number, please help the authorities in the investigation! Provide us with data, if you need it they will contact you, the Brazilian authorities. There is an investigation into this range of drone thefts and other things, and with your help we can find this gang and lock them up. This way I'll get my drone back.
2019-8-10
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I continue to suggest DJI drones represent the single largest stolen consumer product in the world and unfortunately once your drone is stolen DJI doesn't provide even a mumble about whether your drone has been flown or not. I'd suggest making a formal stolen report submission to DJI so to throw responsibility on their shoes, which is all we can do. Once we throw the ball in their court, since they're the only party who'd have information about your drone, it be their responsibility to safeguard your property in case someone decided to use the drone unscrupulously...
2019-8-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

If you have the serial numbers,  I would post them here so any potentional buyer might find it stolen if they google the number,  and for the camera serial I would post that here https://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ and create a google alert so that if someone posts a photo with that serial number you might get lucky and find it.   Also might be work checking ebay if there is something unique about yours that you'd recognise.
2019-8-12
Use props
fans88eedb20
New

New Zealand

Unfortunately my drone was stolen.
Place: Auckland New Zealand
Date: 24th august 2019
DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
S / N 08QCF8PP123QD5
Information to me or directly to the police Auckland
Thanks!
2019-8-24
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

DAFlys Posted at 8-12 01:21
If you have the serial numbers,  I would post them here so any potentional buyer might find it stolen if they google the number,  and for the camera serial I would post that here https://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ and create a google alert so that if someone posts a photo with that serial number you might get lucky and find it.   Also might be work checking ebay if there is something unique about yours that you'd recognise.

Bad Play.... a lot of buyers may like the idea it's stolen, because then they would expect a better deal.
2019-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 9-23 09:55
Bad Play.... a lot of buyers may like the idea it's stolen, because then they would expect a better deal.

Is that really a thing?
2019-9-24
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

DAFlys Posted at 9-24 00:34
Is that really a thing?

correct.........
2019-9-24
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-18 15:07
Sorry for your loss, it sucks! I think it would be a pretty easy thing to put a GPS tracker chip inside the drone with it's own tiny battery that would last 2-3days and recharge when you install the LiPo battery in the drone. Trackable by a simple app like Trackimo. Car rentals have them, Car dealers are installing them at the request of banks financing cars ( they do have to disclose it when renting or buying ). Tag it with the serial # of the drone so only the original or current owner can track it. It would be worth the $6-$10 a month to activate the SIM/SMS messaging.

your funny...
2019-9-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules