Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

Many have asked how we are handling the volcano eruption over here.  Well "here" is on Oahu Island (just called Oahu) a bit over 200 miles away (at the closest).  While we do get the VOG - Volcanic Originating Gasses - from the Big Island (actually named Hawai'i) on a regular basis, this eruption has really socked it to us.  In the next post is a 4:3 PANO I shot from up the ridge behind my house during our worst episode the other day.  

We do get respiratory issues from the VOG, mostly what we call "galagala", it is what it sounds like!  So not too bad unless you do have respiratory problems already.  But, today, it was glorious!  So I have followed the post with the VOG shot with another post and what it looks like when the weather is good.  The photos were almost taken at the same time of day.

Aloha and Drone On!

2018-6-18
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hope you are ok Cetacean.   can’t see any photos
2018-6-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

A very VOGgy Day!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-6-18 21:53
Aloha,

A very VOGgy Day!

Aloha,

And today was glorious!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rivi Posted at 2018-6-18 21:46
Hope you are ok Cetacean.   can’t see any photos

Aloha Rivi,

They are in the next two posts after your post.  Try look again.  You got to my post before the photos did!  You fast huh!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I guess the gases are pretty much diluted when they get to you, right?
2018-6-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-19 05:20
I guess the gases are pretty much diluted when they get to you, right?

Aloha BAMA,

Very true, the LAZE micro crystals fall out before the VOG gets here.  And that is a big problem on the Big Island because it is volcanic glass and worse than asbestos.  We also do not get the Sulfur Dioxide (rotten egg smell), that would be bad!  But, the VOG is very noticeable.  If we do not see it first, we feel it in our chests and throat.  A lot of phlegm (we call it galagala).  And Saturday was the worst I have ever seen it here in almost 50 years.

When we get VOG, we are happy when it rains.  It can be an acid rain but it quickly gets to the ocean where it is neutralized.  Another problem of sorts is the lava is said to have a very high iron content.  Some claim that it is enough to mess with compasses.  That would suck for flying drones!  (No drone pilots have complained though so it is probably not a big issue.)

BTW, there was a recent lava flow that looked like it was flowing as fast as a rapids.  It looked unreal.  If you want to see spectacular footage, use "Fissure 8" as a Key Word.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-19
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-6-18 22:22
Aloha,

And today was glorious!

Looks horrible. How can you live there?   
2018-6-19
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
India

Lovely photos!  Yes I was too fast
2018-6-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-6-19 14:44
Looks horrible. How can you live there?

Aloha Hurley,

Very carefully!  VOG supposed to return again tomorrow but probably will not be as bad.  Today was another glorious day and I took advantage of it to fly all over the place!

I hope you are doing well!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rivi Posted at 2018-6-19 20:21
Lovely photos!  Yes I was too fast

Aloha Rivi,

It took ten minutes each to upload those photos.  It appears you were responding while the photos were uploading, LOL.  

Looks like the VOG is returning tomorrow.  It was glorious again today so I took advantage and flew all over the place with the Mavic Air.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-19
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-6-19 20:27
Aloha Hurley,

Very carefully!  VOG supposed to return again tomorrow but probably will not be as bad.  Today was another glorious day and I took advantage of it to fly all over the place!

I am doing well and hope you are as well.

I can only imagine the locations you have to fly around and thanks for sharing all your work for us to see.

Looking forward to more great stuff from you.
2018-6-20
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you're okay and drone on !
2018-6-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Fire up some of that Kona, or Maui, then grin and bare it... haha

RedHotPoker
2018-6-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2018-6-18 22:22
Aloha,

And today was glorious!

Beautiful shot   
2018-6-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-6-20 15:09
Glad you're okay and drone on !

Aloha S.D.,

It is good to have 200 miles of water between the lava and me!  But, with all the earthquakes the possibility of a tsunami is worrisome.  But, I do live back in the jungle at 165 feet above sea level.  So, I am doing well.  They do not even report an earthquake unless it is over 4.0.

Today, the morning started clear and then the VOG creeped in and by noon it was moderately bad.  Weird how you could see it come in like that.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-21
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are those photos looking down into Kaneohe Bay?
2018-6-21
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-6-21 02:13
Are those photos looking down into Kaneohe Bay?

Aloha Kevin,

Yes, it is Kaneohe Bay, North Bay facing Kualoa Mountain and Mokoli'i (island).  It is my favorite view.  I do have PANOs that have the whole bay though.

Weird how the VOG comes in like that.  We tend to think of how nice our air is over here and then this happens.  On the Windward side, we get a lot of rain and that cleans the air, even the VOG, so when this happens, it is noticed.

I remember your thread one time, "Finally a Decent Day", and I had to laugh.  I thought, "If only he knew how often that happens over here!"

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-21
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-6-21 14:28
Aloha Kevin,

Yes, it is Kaneohe Bay, North Bay facing Kualoa Mountain and Mokoli'i (island).  It is my favorite view.  I do have PANOs that have the whole bay though.

I completely understand. I lived on Oahu for 7 years. I'm very familiar with Kaneohe Bay but I've never seen it from the view in your pics. It is amazing in many ways what the volcano is doing out there. I sure do miss it though. Thanks for the view.
2018-6-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-6-22 01:50
I completely understand. I lived on Oahu for 7 years. I'm very familiar with Kaneohe Bay but I've never seen it from the view in your pics. It is amazing in many ways what the volcano is doing out there. I sure do miss it though. Thanks for the view.

Aloha Kevin,

Good to hear it brings a nice perspective to your memories.  It never gets old for me even though it is like flying in your own backyard.  Lately, I have been exploring the waterfall micro ravines (dry of course) in the Pali.  So far nothing too far out of the ordinary, but interesting.  You never get to see that from down here.

Beneath the hype of the volcano is some real change.  The original researchers of the old eruption have had to wrap up their studies since Kilauea has entered a different phase in volcanic evolution.  Now the new crew is investigating and just beginning their research.  The other day, one flow was going as fast as a rapids in a river.  Usually it is so slow that it is like watching paint dry, but this one gave you chills - and I am on Oahu!  

There are so many drones over there, they have an air traffic control for drones with limited access for manned aircraft.  It is like the shoe is on the other foot.  Drones are allowed in danger zones that might endanger the humans in manned aircraft, but you have to be authorized to fly. One guy was busted by the cops and turned over to the FAA.  Got to follow the rules.

Good hearing from you!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules