Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
File numbering issue
1932 12 2018-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BSartist
lvl.1
Flight distance : 490318 ft
United States

I have continuous numbering turned on.

The filenames have four digits for sequence number.

But what I reach DJI_0999, it wraps to DJI_0001 instead of continuing to DJI_1000 and onward to DJI_9999 before wrapping.

Why?

Why not use all four digits in the sequence number?
2018-6-19
Use props
BSartist
lvl.1
United States

Correction: when I reach...
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, We apologize for the inconvenience. Please provide us what kind of SD card you are using? May I know if you are referring to pictures only? Is your drone Phantom 3 standard or Phantom 4 pro?
2018-6-19
Use props
BSartist
lvl.1
United States

I’m using a phantom 4 pro. I believe I posted this in the P4P forum. Apologies if it’s misplaced.

I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro. This problem happened to occur with video files. But I believe it wouldn’t matter. The sequence numbers increase to the next whether the next file is video or still pictures.

Here is more info. When the DJI_0001 file was created right after the DJI_0999 file, it was put into a new folder on the card. Instead of going into the 100MEDIA folder, I believe a new 101MEDIA folder was created and it was deposited in there. This would keep it from stepping on another 0001 file if there happened to still be one there (unlikely but technically possible). But it doesn’t help when copying the files off the card.

Since I’ve reformatted the card there is only the 100MEDIA folder again.
2018-6-19
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

A lot of this numbering problem would be solved if the file names could be configured to use a date/time stamp. The drone could get the correct time from GPS. I don't understand why this isn't already implemented.
2018-6-19
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

This is/can be very problematic when taking Panos as well as Mapping missions.

Since there are mapping missions that can easily get into 500-700 pics for 1 mission....then you have to make sure you xferred ALL the pics, and didn't leave any in another folder.

Randy
2018-6-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-6-19 16:47
This is/can be very problematic when taking Panos as well as Mapping missions.

Since there are mapping missions that can easily get into 500-700 pics for 1 mission....then you have to make sure you xferred ALL the pics, and didn't leave any in another folder.

Not really as it would create a 101MEDIA etc. folder as it wrap around 0999.
2018-6-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

That is just the way it is, not sure why you're asked what SD card is in use, this does not matter it just is made this way for some reason that only DJI knows.
But you're right it is annoying just as much as the standard file count setting is Reset.
2018-6-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

This question is used all asked all the time by people who use those dopey Apple machines. The solution is to put all your photos in folders with the date in their name, then after you copy them off, format the SD card in the aircraft and it will start at one again.
2018-6-19
Use props
BSartist
lvl.1
United States

@Geebax, I’m not sure why you think this problem is more related to users of Apple machines vs other machines presumably running Windows. Personally I use both. And in fact I do exactly what you suggest with both my DSLR files and my drone files. This is actually EASIER to do on MacOS because I can easily bulk rename files as well as have an Automator script that easily creates the folder with the date in the name. Can and have done it on Windows too. But it’s a bit easier on the Mac.

Furthermore, whether this problem is a showstopper or not (it’s not) it’s really a valid question as to why have four digits in the sequence number and not use them? Maybe the dopey Apple users have more common sense and thus ask the question more often. LOL. ;-). My Canon DSLRs get this right. Since DJI almost gets it right but not quite, it’s a reasonable conclusion that it may be a bug. If not then I’m curious as to the reason. Irrespective of which OS I use or prefer (I use both and prefer both for different uses)
2018-6-20
Use props
BSartist
lvl.1
United States

@KedDk you are right about the 101MEDIA folder preventing files from being overwritten on the card. But it can still be problematic when combining all the files from such a large project on your computer for processing in one folder. I think this is a case where you want them all in one folder. For me it’s not a huge problem because I use the Mac for this and built into the finder I can bulk rename all files and replace DJI_0 with DJI_1 for the files that wrapped. That turns DJI_0001 into DJI_1001 and so on. I do this on the mounted SD card before pulling them off. So it adds a fairly trivial step so it’s not very problematic for me. But it’s still an unnecessary step made necessary by what appears to be an incomplete implementation by DJI. If @rwynant is not on a Mac, it may be more of a hassle for him to bulk rename before combining into a desktop folder.
2018-6-20
Use props
DucksRlife
lvl.1

Has anyone came up with a solution for this? I am mapping some projects that are well over 1000 pictures and would like them to be sequential in one file... instead of having 100MEDIA, 101MEDIA, and so one. I am using Windows and don't have access to a mac.
2019-9-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer

DucksRlife Posted at 9-30 10:47
Has anyone came up with a solution for this? I am mapping some projects that are well over 1000 pictures and would like them to be sequential in one file... instead of having 100MEDIA, 101MEDIA, and so one. I am using Windows and don't have access to a mac.

There is no 'solution' for this, it is what it is, and will not be changed.
2019-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules