P4P V2 Live Video Stitching Most of The Time
1134 20 2018-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestion/ideas on this issue. I received my P4P V2 last week and noticed that when I am flying close (within a few hundred feet of myself), the video gets distorted for a few seconds and then is good for a few seconds. This cycle is continuous as long as I am flying in Line of Site (which makes it impossible to record anything. Luckily, I did get the Racing Goggles bundled with this purchase and those work fine no matter where I am flying it. I have done some various testing over the week and have more info noted below.

The issue happens with or without the goggles connected.
      I am currently using a Galaxy S7 (phone fully updated as well as the DJI Go app is updated to latest). I also tried a kindle tablet with the same result.
      I did not update the firmware on the controller or AC as it says the firmware was good when I first powered it on. Sorry I do not have the versions but can check later.
      I do not think it is local interference as I have tried two different locations with the same result.
      Humidity is been high here the last several days and am not sure if that has something to do with it.
      I have tried setting the HD Frequency to Dual, 2.4 and 5.8 with the same results. I have also tried Auto and Custom.
      I have tried adjusting/turning the antennas on the controller (I am not using any boosters or slide on signal catchers...or whatever those are called).
      My controller signal and HD bars are always full.

That is about all I can think of at the moment. I have also attached a picture of what the screen looks like (I was taking video of solar panels which you can see towards the top). Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for your replies.

Billy

Screenshot_20180618-173143.jpg
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Billy, Our apologies for the inconvenience. Please try to restore the factory defaults and refresh the firmware using DJI  Assitant 2. Please download the software using this link: https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro-v2/info#downloads. You can also reset the factory default of your camera. Look for the cogwheel, scroll down and reset camera to factory defaults.

app.png
2018-6-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I would be looking more at the capabilities and settings of the display device rather than the firmware. Presumably the video on the aircraft sd card is flawless ?
2018-6-19
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

I will give that a try tonight. Thanks for the quick reply!
2018-6-19
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-19 08:26
I would be looking more at the capabilities and settings of the display device rather than the firmware. Presumably the video on the aircraft sd card is flawless ?

Aardvark,

Thanks for the response. Yes, the video on the SD card is flawless just like the video feed to the goggles. I was also thinking the same in that it was my device/phone, hence why I tried a tablet, but what really gets me is it only happens when flying close. I will try refreshing the firmware and doing a factory reset and report back with the results tonight. Thanks
2018-6-19
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I by no means are an expert, just learning myself, but have you tried different video settings? I see you are recording in 120fps, try it at 30fps or 60fps to see if the signal back to the mobile device is better.
2018-6-19
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-19 09:11
I by no means are an expert, just learning myself, but have you tried different video settings? I see you are recording in 120fps, try it at 30fps or 60fps to see if the signal back to the mobile device is better.

TheLazyC,

That is a great suggestion and something I have not thought of. However, I was flying in 30fps the day before I took this screenshot with the same problem. I can't remember if I have done 60 yet but I will certainly try that before I do a hard reset. Thanks for the suggestion.
2018-6-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Did you try putting your device(s) in flight mode to ensure their own radios is not the cause of interference?

I don't think you would get much luck trying to refresh the firmware, no one else seem to be able to do this at the moment.
2018-6-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Billyrr24 Posted at 2018-6-19 10:11
TheLazyC,

That is a great suggestion and something I have not thought of. However, I was flying in 30fps the day before I took this screenshot with the same problem. I can't remember if I have done 60 yet but I will certainly try that before I do a hard reset. Thanks for the suggestion.

Along similar lines, the P4P V2 uses ocusync transmission protocol. So upon checking it seems this has similar functionality to the Mavic Pro system when using live view.
That is, when you are at close range with good signal the the aircraft 'live view' transmission back to the Goggles or RC display can be 1080p @ 30 fps (or 720@60fps on Mavic Pro). IF however this signal weakens then the 'live view transmission from aircraft to controller drops to the 720p @ 30 fps, as seen in all the non-ocusync aircraft.

My thought is that your display device may have trouble in decoding and displaying the 1080p (at close range). While it manages fine displaying 720p.

With all powered up and connected, have a look at the 'Image Transmission Settings' in DJI Go 4.
If the menu for the P4P V2 is similar to the Mavic Pro, then there will be an option to switch between 'Normal Mode' (720@30fps), 'HD Mode' (1080@30 fps) and perhaps 'Smooth Mode' (720@60fps).

Try switching between these modes at close range, and see if any difference in live view quality; if there is then you may need to consider a different display device.
2018-6-20
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

I have the v2 and have had this happen once too me...chalked it up to a lot of interference during one flight....but i had the same picture "tearing" as u in your pics
2018-6-20
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-19 08:17
Hi Billy, Our apologies for the inconvenience. Please try to restore the factory defaults and refresh the firmware using DJI  Assitant 2. Please download the software using this link: https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro-v2/info#downloads. You can also reset the factory default of your camera. Look for the cogwheel, scroll down and reset camera to factory defaults.

Note to DJI.

1.  The program is called “Assistant 2 for Phantom”. Please stop calling it Assistant 2. They are 2 different pieces of software.

2.  I don’t believe you can “refresh” the firmware with “Assistant 2 for Phantom “. Currently the software will not load the firmware. All you get is a “failed to load firmware please retry”. This is because only the base firmware has been released.   

I am surprised that DJI support keeps giving out this inaccurate information.

You might be able to refresh the firmware via the djigo4 app. For sure try a camera reset from the app.

Paul Caldwell
2018-6-20
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-20 03:54
Note to DJI.

1.  The program is called “Assistant 2 for Phantom”. Please stop calling it Assistant 2. They are 2 different pieces of software.

No, it is one software. Older models had their own.
2018-6-20
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-6-20 04:19
No, it is one software. Older models had their own.

I guess I beg to differ.

Net, P4 Pro and below all use "DJI Assistant 2".  

P4 Pro ver 2. uses "DSJI Assistant 2 for Phantom".  

These are 2 separate programs, and install as such.  The original post is in reference to the P4 Pro Vr 2.0.

DJI has used the term, Assistant 2 software.  That software will not work, connect period with the the P4 Vr 2.0.  You need Assistant 2 for Phantom.  They are totally separate programs.

Paul Caldwell
2018-6-20
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

All,

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions. I was able to take it out again last night and of course everything seemed to work fine (for the most part). I had everything powered up inside so I could hook up to DJI Assistant 2 (version 2.0 btw as I see the regular p4p has its own version). I had it powered up for a total of a couple of hours and only saw the problem happen twice for a split second each. I switched the frame rates to all available in 1080 as was suggested yesterday to try and could not get it to happen again. I was going to try and refresh the firmware but like others have said in this thread, DJI Assistant 2 does not pull up any firmware to refresh because it is not released yet. I then tried connecting my remote to DJI A2 and that wouldn't even connect at all which would warrant starting a new thread for that. Also, I did not do a factory reset on the AC or Controller as I could not find where to do that. I read a post somewhere saying to hold down the three dots on the top right for ten seconds but when I do that, nothing happens. I did reset the camera though. I then took the AC outside for a flight and it flew flawlessly.

Aardvark,

That is a great idea and unfortunately it is one thing I did not look at to see if it is in HD mode (I think I had it in regular/normal). I will definitely look at that tonight when I get home. The only thing that has been different between yesterday and the prior few days (that I noticed) is the outside temperature and humidity has been lower. I live in MN (summers are hot and humid) and the last few days have been 90+ with a heat index over 100 except for yesterday which was in the 80s. This could but nothing but I thought is was worth noting.

KedDK,

Another great suggestion that I will try tonight. I never did put my phone in airplane mode. I did however check the signal interference in the DJI Go app when it was acting up and noticed that no mater what setting/channel I set it to, it was always green (no interference).

Thanks again everyone and I will report back tomorrow with my findings (If my wife gives me enough time to fly it tonight . I worry that there is still an issue but I just need to narrow it down to what is causing it.
2018-6-20
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
  • >>>

In this POST, DJI is referring to the software for the P4 Pro Vr 2.0 as "Assistant 2".  

That is incorrect, and has been stated incorrectly on this site many times.  

If DJI is going to rename a program and release is, they IMO need to refer to it with the correct name.

In this case Assistant 2 for Phantom.  Which BTW is a confusing name as it by name implies it will work with all Phantoms, which is not the case.

In the Link provided on quoted post, DJI is correctly point to the correct download, but referring to the older software.  This has caused a lot of confusion with owners of both the earlier versions of the Phantom and new owners of P4 Pro Vr 2.0.

The fact that DJI is asking the owner to connect and refresh the firmware via the Assistant 2 for Phantom software is concerning to me as currently you can connect, but the tool WILL not load current firmware and thus can't refresh the firmware since it won't load the current version .  Per DJI is because there is only the original base software available for the P4 VR 2.0, so it can't load.  I also don't agree with this, as you still should be able to "see" the current firmware installed on your drone, i.e. to be able to refresh it.

It's quite obvious that the DJI person making this request has never worked with Assistant 2 for Phantom as they would know currently you can't refresh firmware.  All you get is the error Firmware can't be loaded, please retry".

Paul Caldwell
2018-6-20
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-20 06:48
In this POST, DJI is referring to the software for the P4 Pro Vr 2.0 as "Assistant 2".  

That is incorrect, and has been stated incorrectly on this site many times.  

Paul,

I totally agree with you. There are 2 different versions of DJI Assistant and their naming of them is totally confusing. On a side note, my goggles RE wouldn't even connect to DJI Assistant for Phantom to activate. I uninstalled it and by accident installed DJI Assistant 2 (v1.2.4) and my goggles were able to successfully connect to that and activate.  
2018-6-20
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

After much more research and some testing again yesterday, Ive concluded that the issue is probably the Go 4 app. I could also change the title of this thread also as I noticed the problem even happened when I was 3500 feet out (for testing purposes). I have ready many several posts on the app reviews about people upgrading to the latest version of the app and then suddenly experiencing video lag/stitching like what I am. I am using a Galaxy S7 which many of those posts were on but it sounds like Android in general. I did try it in Airplane mode as some have suggested and that seems to help but I still experience it. BTW Aardvark, I did try it in all 3 HD modes with the issue appearing in all of them. Additional suggestions are welcomed but I do believe I will need to cross my fingers and hope for improvements in the next version. I could also wait for the SDK to be released and then try Lichi, but I'll wait and see what happens first.

Thanks everyone!
2018-6-21
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

Paladin,

Since this seems to be an app issue, any ideas on when the next update for Go 4 will roll out?

Thanks
2018-6-21
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

I see there is an update for the P4P V2. I will try that tonight and see if that fixes this issue,  otherwise I will have to return the drone.
2018-6-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Billyrr24 Posted at 2018-6-20 06:46
All,

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions. I was able to take it out again last night and of course everything seemed to work fine (for the most part). I had everything powered up inside so I could hook up to DJI Assistant 2 (version 2.0 btw as I see the regular p4p has its own version). I had it powered up for a total of a couple of hours and only saw the problem happen twice for a split second each. I switched the frame rates to all available in 1080 as was suggested yesterday to try and could not get it to happen again. I was going to try and refresh the firmware but like others have said in this thread, DJI Assistant 2 does not pull up any firmware to refresh because it is not released yet. I then tried connecting my remote to DJI A2 and that wouldn't even connect at all which would warrant starting a new thread for that. Also, I did not do a factory reset on the AC or Controller as I could not find where to do that. I read a post somewhere saying to hold down the three dots on the top right for ten seconds but when I do that, nothing happens. I did reset the camera though. I then took the AC outside for a flight and it flew flawlessly.

Could it be cpu in device slowing down when too hot ?
2018-6-27
Use props
Billyrr24
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-27 07:18
Could it be cpu in device slowing down when too hot ?

Aardvark,

Great suggestion but the last few times I have flown it, the thing will act up immediately and continuously. I have not been able to nail down any rhyme or reason so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the firmware will help it.  
2018-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules