Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IMU caibration on a boat
1871 10 2018-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Antipaxi
lvl.4

Romania

Hi guys, need some advice if you will.
I took a boat ride and wanted to fly my spark but as I turned it on the AC told me it needed calibration. I gave up the idea of flying it from the boat, and couldn't calibrated it right there, as it was rocking, and I didn't calibrated it before, so what I'm asking is this: if I calibrate it BEFORE I board the ship will it be ok to fly it if I get the calibrating message again DURING the boat ride?
I'm not planning on flying it while the boat moves, just when it's anchored.
Thak you in advance for your relevant answers.
DSC_0300.JPG
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues with calibrating your aircraft. Yes, you may try calibrating the AC prior to the boat ride, I suggest you do the calibration at the shore.
2018-6-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What a stunning shot - good work
2018-6-19
Use props
dji TO88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4678 ft

A CW Posted at 2018-6-19 13:23
What a stunning shot - good work

I second that!
2018-6-19
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Hard boat rocking making it think its IMU was off cal?  Maybe. Though something was wrong because it is wobbling all around but wasn't flying.  Should be a steady one gravity while landed but likely didn't have that.  

Hand hold it so you provide some stabilization on boot up?
2018-6-19
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft

You did good as only calabrate imu on level ground and a boat would not be good place to do. btw pic looks great.
2018-6-19
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

Was the boat made of metal or where you standing near any radar/motors etc? That could've been what threw the sensors off making your Spark think it needed to calibrate?
2018-6-19
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

It will give issues if you try to take off from the boat/deck due to interference. Hold it on your hand and check whether there is issues with IMU. If the problem didn't go away then you have to follow DJI's advice.

I had a similar issue when I tried to take of from the deck. All worked fine when I hold on my palm.

Hope it helps.
2018-6-20
Use props
Antipaxi
lvl.4

Thanks for all your answers guys. The boat was made of wood (big one, 2 masts) and I went at the bow (no metal parts) when I tried to fly it. I think it was the rocking that did it. Anyway, I just opened the Spark again, no calibration issues on hard land.
I'll try again tomorow, on a smaller boat, and I'll just fly it from dry land if I encounter problems.
2018-6-20
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Really nice shot ! Welldone !
2018-6-20
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-6-19 12:53
Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues with calibrating your aircraft. Yes, you may try calibrating the boat prior to the boat ride, I suggest you do the calibration at the shore.

Gave you a Thumbs Up DJI Gamora !

2018-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules