P3P camera blach screen on DJI GO after firmware update.
1019 15 2018-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

Hello!

I uptaded my Phantom 3 Professional Firmware for drone and remote controller. After that I got followin symptoms:

-Black screen on my DJI Go app, only DJI logo
-Message gimball disconnected
-2 solid red lights on propellers infront of camera
-No green or red status light on gimball
-SD card doesn't seems to read, if I connect my PC to gimballs usb port it doesn't show up

What I have done so far:
-Disconnected and reconnected the 2 wires to gimball

-Changed new SD card, formatted it to FAT32 and set new firmware .bin file to it
-Reconnected remote controller to drone
-Tried with iPhone X and Ipad Pro, 2 different wires
-Gimball auto calibration

My current firmwares according to Go app are normal, it doesn't show the exact numbers . Gimball itself seems to work, it does its self dignostics when starting the drone and I can move it from the app. The drone hasn't been crashed ever and was working fine before firmware updates.

I have read hours of these forums and found some good hints, but nothing seem to help. Could someone help me any further? I've read that there is a possibility to brake circuit board from gimball when updating firmware, could that be the case? If so, how should I proceed. If you need pics for diagnostics, please ask and I do my best posting them.

Thank you for your help

2018-6-20
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Have you tried refreshing the firmware?
2018-6-20
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-20 05:27
Have you tried refreshing the firmware?

I tried to do it by putting .bin firmware file to sd card, but it seems not to do anything. How could I force it with remote controller?
2018-6-20
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You can't force anything from your remote. Try formatting the card and updating again thru the app.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues on your aircraft after updating the firmware. If you do have other devices with an Android operating system that you can use just to isolate the problem. Please let us know the result. Thank you.
2018-6-20
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-20 08:34
Hello. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues on your aircraft after updating the firmware. If you do have other devices with an Android operating system that you can use just to isolate the problem. Please let us know the result. Thank you.

Hi!
I'm sorry, I have only IOS operating systems available. If it helps I can try with iPad Air 2, but I don't think it will make any difference. For some reason my PC doesn't recognize SD card when I plug gimball to USB. I've tried 2 different SD cards and they both work well when I test them with a card reader.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Samppa Posted at 2018-6-20 09:31
Hi!
I'm sorry, I have only IOS operating systems available. If it helps I can try with iPad Air 2, but I don't think it will make any difference. For some reason my PC doesn't recognize SD card when I plug gimball to USB. I've tried 2 different SD cards and they both work well when I test them with a card reader.

May you please share with us what kind of SD card that you are using? Also, you see the list of the tested and recommended device below.

2018-6-20
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-20 06:21
You can't force anything from your remote. Try formatting the card and updating again thru the app.

I formatted my SD card and put it back to the drone. Now my problem is, that I can't find out how to update firmware via app. It still says on overall status that it's normal (latest Firmware).  App version is 3.1.38, aircraft 1.11.20 and remote controller 1.9.3.

Refreshing firmware could help,  but since the gimbal doesn't seem to read sd card and app says that the drone has lates firmware and doesn't give the possibility to refresh it I don't know how to do it.
2018-6-20
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-20 09:44
May you please share with us what kind of SD card that you are using? Also, you see the list of the tested and recommended device below.

[view_image]

I tried to use the drone also with iPhone 7, with the same result. I've tried with Panasonic HC1 16gb micro sd card and Kingston HC1 32gb micro sd card. Any suggestions what to try next?
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Samppa Posted at 2018-6-20 11:14
I formatted my SD card and put it back to the drone. Now my problem is, that I can't find out how to update firmware via app. It still says on overall status that it's normal (latest Firmware).  App version is 3.1.38, aircraft 1.11.20 and remote controller 1.9.3.

Refreshing firmware could help,  but since the gimbal doesn't seem to read sd card and app says that the drone has lates firmware and doesn't give the possibility to refresh it I don't know how to do it.

You may watch this video tutorial on how to update the firmware of your aircraft. Hope this will resolve the issue.

2018-6-20
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-20 11:41
You may watch this video tutorial on how to update the firmware of your aircraft. Hope this will resolve the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuhdZ4l18Q

Thanks for the video! I already tried all that and the problem is as I told that I cannot connect the gimbal to my PC and there is no status light on gimbal. Drone doesn't either start to refresh refresh the firmware if I download it straight to micro sd card. Is there a way to reset the drone so, that I could refresh the firmware via app? I also unplugged and then plugged the two wires to gimbal but that didn't change anything.
2018-6-20
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

You may watch this video tutorial on how to update the firmware of your aircraft. Hope this will resolve the issue.

If this is a hardware issue caused by firmware update do you have any idea what could it be and how much does it cost to fix? Kind of sucks to mess up your drone just by updating its firmware.
2018-6-20
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

Hi Natalia!

I visited DJI repair / sales center at Bangkok and the technician also said that the problem is in the gimbal main board. Sadly they had no spare main boards available and the drone should had been send to factory at China. This was an issue since I was just visiting Thailand and they couldn't send the drone to me to my home at Finland.

I searched forums a little more and this kind of failures seems to be quite common with firmware update. I believe you are also familiar with these cases but I anyway include a couple of links to these forums:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =59246&mobile=2

https://forum.dji.com/thread-74722-1-1.html

What is the current DJI policy with this kind of hardware failures? I feel that main board failure because of  firmware update should be repaired free of charge by DJI although warranty has already been ended.  Can this be solved before I send my drone to repair or is it done after the drone has been repaired? How much does this kind of repair cost?
2018-7-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Samppa Posted at 2018-7-9 04:07
Hi Natalia!

I visited DJI repair / sales center at Bangkok and the technician also said that the problem is in the gimbal main board. Sadly they had no spare main boards available and the drone should had been send to factory at China. This was an issue since I was just visiting Thailand and they couldn't send the drone to me to my home at Finland.

Hi Samppa, we appreciate your feedback on this. Currently we are still on process of improving our policies for this. Currently, regular warranty still applies to the drone. Please see our after-sales policies at https://www.dji.com/service/policy.  Please send us the drone on our online repair request and we will surely look unto this for you, the link is Online Repair Request.
2018-7-9
Use props
Samppa
lvl.1

Finland

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-9 07:18
Hi Samppa, we appreciate your feedback on this. Currently we are still on process of improving our policies for this. Currently, regular warranty still applies to the drone. Please see our after-sales policies at https://www.dji.com/service/policy.  Please send us the drone on our online repair request and we will surely look unto this for you, the link is Online Repair Request.

Hi Natalia!

In your policy it says that damage caused by "× Any software programs, whether provided with the product or installed subsequently. " is not covered.  I guess that also means firmware delivered by DJI and installed according to your instructions? It seems the gimbal main board overheats during the firmware update witch causes the damage for it? Hope you add some warning about this for the next firmware update, if there is ever going to be one.

It's a bit sad especially when it seems to happen to quite many customers. The price for the repair seems to be around 300$ so around 250€? Can't say that I'm happy with your warranty policies on this matter but after reading these forums I don't think that many other people are either.
2018-7-9
Use props
HitrackAP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 428176 ft
United Kingdom

Samppa Posted at 2018-7-9 11:43
Hi Natalia!

In your policy it says that damage caused by "× Any software programs, whether provided with the product or installed subsequently. " is not covered.  I guess that also means firmware delivered by DJI and installed according to your instructions? It seems the gimbal main board overheats during the firmware update witch causes the damage for it? Hope you add some warning about this for the next firmware update, if there is ever going to be one.

I came here with the exact same issue. Probably like many others!!. My P3 Pro was working perfectly fine as a back up craft. I made the mistake of updating DJI Go which then updated my controller forcing me to upgrade my firmware. Followed very procedure and when updating to the latest firmware the update failed.  A perfectly working system is now junk.  If you look on Google its a VERY well known issue due to overheating caused ONLY by DJIs firmware update process!
2018-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules