2280 11 2018-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pnowicki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30354 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I recently got the Mavic Air and Goggles combo. I'm a long time DJI customer with originally multiple purchases of the Naza, Phantom Vision+, Phantom 3Pro and now the Mavic Air with the Goggles. I'm pretty frustrated with the Goggles and their application on the Mavic Air. I'm actually wondering what the point of them is at this stage. First of all the Goggle options are not there and that creates issues.
For instance the (HD) option is simply not there for me to be able to select the resolution of the googles. They are stuck in the 720P mode. Of course then this mode is selected the video footage on the mavi is limited to 1080P and photo aspect ratio is set to 16:9. So this effectively makes the goggles useless for any type of quality video and photo work since the video can not be recorded at 4K and photos can not be taken at the full 12MP resolution on the Mavic SD card. The idea of the goggles for me was not for the fun aspects of FPV flying but being able to frame my shots with better precision, which they are useless for as far as Im concerned due to the resolution limitation.

Also, My goggles do not display all of the inteligent flight modes. I see all the flight modes on my phone when connected to the Mavic Air. On the goggles I only see the (tap fly) inteligent flight mode. Why are all of the other modes missing? Why is this? Why on the phone but not on the goggles?

The fact that one needs to connect to the DJIGo4 app on the phone first then swap to the goggles to get any range on the aircraft is a major inconveiniece.

Is DJI working on firmware solutions for these issues?

Lastly, why is there no focus adjustment on these? I must say this is a big issue for me as well. I can not see the text clearly due to this focus issue.
Do any of the other Mavic Air users find these same issues? Any thoughts on whether these will be rectified?

Thanks,
2018-6-20
Use props
djiuser_JzSb52px6yQe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202028 ft
United States

Pnowicki Posted at 2018-6-20 09:28
These options are not missing in the DJIGO4 app. They are there. All flight modes are available. On the goggles only tap and fly.

They are there. I have the same issue. I spent a very long time on the phone with DJI in China. The tech didn't even know these modes aren't available on the Air. Thing is, they appear on the goggles right up until I plug in the Air. It would be very simple for DJI to add firmware to make them compatible. After spending over an hour on the phone with them, I was informed that I will get an email as soon as the upgrade comes out. I will post anything I hear. Having said this, I think DJI jumped the gun in selling the goggles and stating they are compatable with the Air and not having a disclaimer saying all modes DO NOT work with the Air. Onward and upward.
2018-8-7
Use props
HBM MavicAir
New
Colombia

Fully agree with you, FRUSTRATING. I hope that DJI release an update soon. Not recommended to buy the Combo Mavic Air with googles up to now.
2018-7-21
Use props
fans85b84e70
lvl.1
Australia

My wife gave me the goggles for my birthday last week but after a few days of complete frustration I sadly had to suggest she take them back - I just couldn’t justify the cost for her against the disappointment in their performance - or lack of it.

The range issue, despite the workaround using the phone to start, was a ridiculous nuisance - about 30 metres height and 100 metres range max;
The lack of focus and difficulty in viewing had me thinking I’d have to get a new prescription for my glasses just to use the goggles - though adjusting the screen separation did help slightly;
but perhaps most annoying was that, despite everything that I tried, I could only get the camera tilt up and down to work with head control, not the left/right yaw that I could see others using in various review and instruction videos.

I can only hope or wonder if there’s any chance of DJI bringing out a new pair of goggles altogether specifically for the Mavic Air, given the apparent popularity of the Air
2018-7-9
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

I dont think its the case otherwise it wouldnt have these options in the smartdevice. The phone and the goggles are connect the same way so the only reason it would not work is because it lacks hardware enough to perform it (which I doubt) or, more likely, its not optimized yet for the Air.  And it really seems the latter given all that is caped off in terms of seetings between the phone and goggles. It really looks like the goggles are not ready or even aware Mavic Air exists.
2018-6-27
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4

The Goggles and the phone/tablet are all connected the same way. There is nothing to do with occusync otherwise it wouldnt be available in the smartdevice. Either the Goggles doesnt have enough hardware to run those extra options or, whats more likely to me seeing the overall picture, Goggles are not optimized to work with Mavic Air. Only the basic. Not even all frame rates to choose from are available in the Goggles. It really looks like its not ready yet for the Air.
2018-6-26
Use props
Pnowicki
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

BKahuna Posted at 2018-6-26 09:10
I don't have the goggles but I believe the MA's resolution on the live video sent back to the RC is only 720.  The MP has a resolution of 1080.

That is correct. However that does not answer the questions why the Mavic Air can not record at 4K on its internal SD card when using the goggles. It also does not answer the questions why there is only one flight mode available when using the goggles or why the quality of transmission to the goggles seems to be lower quality than to the phone which is also receiving a 720P transmission.
2018-6-26
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I don't have the goggles but I believe the MA's resolution on the live video sent back to the RC is only 720.  The MP has a resolution of 1080.
2018-6-26
Use props
Pnowicki
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Yeah selling the googles with the Mavic Air as a combo suggests that there is integration between the two to the customer. DJI really missed the mark here. As I said I'm a loyal DJI customer for years and I think they build quality stuff, but this is a real let down.  Selling the two as a kit while providing very limited integration is just bad. I hope they will be releasing a firmware update to rectify these issues.
2018-6-26
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4

I feel the same. Looks like the goggles are not compatible with the Air. You have far less options to choose.  You have to remove the side cable to use the goggles and that is very odd. It at least should have an option/button to toggle that instead of physically remove the cable being already too odd not being able to use both at the same time once all processing is done inside each device. The transmitted image quality is much worse within the goggles. If you even put the drone down close to you, motors off, you can see a big difference between what you get in the phone and what you get in the goggles. You have even less recording options in the goggles like in 4k you can only choose 30 fps. Not talking about all the other missing things already mentioned. You have so much less control with the goggles in terms of settings... it's so weird. I wonder what the heck they were thinking about even selling a combo with the goggles as it clearly seems the goggles doesnt even know the Air exists.

Man, I'm trully thinking about returning it. I like you thought it would be usefull to have and safer flight and better framing my shots but besided its amazing (not used) potential to be an extremely helpful tool, I feel I'm much better served with the phone and Go 4 app.

Thats just... trully weird. Dont have another word for that. I think a simple firmware update could make the goggles a superb tool but DJI seems to be so negligent about that. I keep looking at it and thinking "Wasted my money. I thought I was buying the best device for my drone but now I regret not going the cheapper way and using the phone with Litchi or another thing like that."
2018-6-26
Use props
Pnowicki
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

These options are not missing in the DJIGO4 app. They are there. All flight modes are available. On the goggles only tap and fly.
2018-6-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m not sure.  I assume the lack of options comes from the lack of occusync on the Mavic Air.  Either that or these additional options are missing on the Mavic Air as well in the normal Dji go app.  

Hopefully someone can comment on this that has both...
2018-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules