Distorted video
1745 20 2018-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

Hi Everyone,I've had my original P4 for a while and it's worked pretty well with my Galaxy Tab A with various glitches along the way.  But with the latest version of the App, I was having all sorts of video distortion - green bars, slow updates, weird lines, etc.  This is only on the realtime display.  The recorded video seems fine so far.  So I read some posts and saw others having the issue and usually DJI recommended upgrading the tablet.  So, as a test, I tried my iPhone 6S and the video was fine.  OK, time for a new tablet.  I got the iPad Mini4.  I just did a couple of flights and the video was perfect.  Until...I enabled point of interest mode.  The video immediately started cutting out and turning green and purple etc.  So my question is...is this tablet still not enough for the mighty Go 4 app?  Really?  I just bought it so I could return it if that's the case.  Seems kind of riduculous, but I'm open to any suggestions.  Here are my software/firmware versions:

App:  4.2.21
AC:  02.00.0700
RC:  1.9.3

Thanks,
Ryan
2018-6-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. Sorry for this trouble. The Ipad Mini 4 is one of the tested and recommended device for Phantom 4. Great to hear as well that all firmware is up to date. Did you get the file/video directly from the SD card? If yes, may you please share us a sample image or video showing this issue using the iPad mini 4. Thank you.
2018-6-21
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

Which  Galaxy Tab A are you using, the 7 inch or the 10 inch? The 7 inch has only 4 core processor and 1.5gb ram while the 10 inch has 8 cores and 2gb ram. I use a Tab A 10 inch and I have not yet had any problems.
2018-6-21
Use props
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-6-21 14:23
Which  Galaxy Tab A are you using, the 7 inch or the 10 inch? The 7 inch has only 4 core processor and 1.5gb ram while the 10 inch has 8 cores and 2gb ram. I use a Tab A 10 inch and I have not yet had any problems.

I'm going to say it's the 7 inch as it's roughly the same size as my new Mini 4.  I just discovered something though.  While recording for the requested test - and remember this is only the downlink video that gets corrupted not the recorded video - I thought to check the HD channel settings after selecting point of interest mode and I was getting red bars on all the channels.  I know my router is dual band and I guessed that the mini had 5GHz capability, so I turned off WIFI and the screen cleared up immediately.  I've re-adjusted my router to use different names for 2.4 and 5 and I've forced the mini onto 2.4.  It's getting dark, so I'll have to test tomorrow.

So is that a thing?  Your 5GHz wifi interferes with your video?  I'm doing this in front of my house so I suppose if I were at the park or whatever, wifi wouldn't be an issue.

Ryan
2018-6-21
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-21 16:48
I'm going to say it's the 7 inch as it's roughly the same size as my new Mini 4.  I just discovered something though.  While recording for the requested test - and remember this is only the downlink video that gets corrupted not the recorded video - I thought to check the HD channel settings after selecting point of interest mode and I was getting red bars on all the channels.  I know my router is dual band and I guessed that the mini had 5GHz capability, so I turned off WIFI and the screen cleared up immediately.  I've re-adjusted my router to use different names for 2.4 and 5 and I've forced the mini onto 2.4.  It's getting dark, so I'll have to test tomorrow.

So is that a thing?  Your 5GHz wifi interferes with your video?  I'm doing this in front of my house so I suppose if I were at the park or whatever, wifi wouldn't be an issue.

any wifi can cause interference, I put both my phone in my pocket and my tablet in airplane mode when I fly.
2018-6-21
Use props
Diablo69
New

United States

I also own the original Phantom 4. I was having the same problem plus a vibration during take-off and landing. I downloaded DJI assistant 2 and installed the old firmware and it corrected both problems. The bird fly's like a dream and video reception is fantastic. I recommend you try and see if it works for you as well.

Good day and good luck
2018-6-22
Use props
havrosh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566785 ft

I have the same problem with my Nexus 7 (second edition)
2018-6-22
Use props
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-21 13:32
Hello. Sorry for this trouble. The Ipad Mini 4 is one of the tested and recommended device for Phantom 4. Great to hear as well that all firmware is up to date. Did you get the file/video directly from the SD card? If yes, may you please share us a sample image or video showing this issue using the iPad mini 4. Thank you.

OK, here's a video of my iPad screen.  Remember, the video recorded on the drone SD card is fine, no glitches at all, it's only the live video on the iPad screen that gets affected.  The video starts with me flying in Point of Interest mode already engaged.  You can see the video distortion and that it disappears almost immediately when the mode is cancelled.  This is with my iPad wifi and bluetooth turned off, as well as my iPhone.  I re-engage the mode and the distortion returns immediately.  After turning it off again, the video is mostly clear although some stuttering and distortion continues as I hurry to land before my battery dies.

I think I may try the previous firmware, to see if it's different.  I certainly never had these issues with my old Galaxy Tab A on previous firmware versions, but I haven't flown in quite a while and I just upgraded immediately.

Any help is appreciated.

Ryan
2018-6-22
Use props
havrosh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566785 ft

Downgraded app to 4.2.16 and this issue is gone
2018-6-23
Use props
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

havrosh Posted at 2018-6-23 05:06
Downgraded app to 4.2.16 and this issue is gone

I downgraded the AC firmware to 02.00.0106 and had perfect video during normal flight and during special flight modes.  And I left my wifi on.

DJI, sounds like the firmware/app software are goofed up this go-around.

Ryan
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-22 15:52
https://youtu.be/C7tYzx9fP9k
OK, here's a video of my iPad screen.  Remember, the video recorded on the drone SD card is fine, no glitches at all, it's only the live video on the iPad screen that gets affected.  The video starts with me flying in Point of Interest mode already engaged.  You can see the video distortion and that it disappears almost immediately when the mode is cancelled.  This is with my iPad wifi and bluetooth turned off, as well as my iPhone.  I re-engage the mode and the distortion returns immediately.  After turning it off again, the video is mostly clear although some stuttering and distortion continues as I hurry to land before my battery dies.

Sorry for the troubles. I'll forward these to our engineers for analysis, and come back as long as there is an update. Thanks for your attention.
2018-6-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-23 06:12
I downgraded the AC firmware to 02.00.0106 and had perfect video during normal flight and during special flight modes.  And I left my wifi on.

DJI, sounds like the firmware/app software are goofed up this go-around.

The primary reason for the 02.00.0700 firmware upgrade on the P4 was that the 02.00.0106 had two serious flaws. One was that there was flight instability generated, although this did not affect all, but still a significant number were affected.

The second problem with .0106 was the reset of gimbal and loss of FPV for about ten seconds or so in flight, caused by a random and frequent gimbal resets when recording in 4k @ 30 fps.

This was a Thread I raised at the time. There may also be links in there to the flight instability posts.
2018-6-25
Use props
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-25 03:39
The primary reason for the 02.00.0700 firmware upgrade on the P4 was that the 02.00.0106 had two serious flaws. One was that there was flight instability generated, although this did not affect all, but still a significant number were affected.

The second problem with .0106 was the reset of gimbal and loss of FPV for about ten seconds or so in flight, caused by a random and frequent gimbal resets when recording in 4k @ 30 fps.

Yes, I think I'm experiencing the instability issues with the previous firmware.  I noticed that the AC would act like the obstacle avoidance was kicking in briefly at random times.  I turned off OA but the jerky flight patterns still occurred.  No warnings were thrown on the app about obstacles.  So I've put the latest firmware back on.  Flight is stable now, but the video problem is back.  I don't have any way to get the previous app on my new iPad as this was the first installation.

Ryan
2018-6-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-25 04:46
Yes, I think I'm experiencing the instability issues with the previous firmware.  I noticed that the AC would act like the obstacle avoidance was kicking in briefly at random times.  I turned off OA but the jerky flight patterns still occurred.  No warnings were thrown on the app about obstacles.  So I've put the latest firmware back on.  Flight is stable now, but the video problem is back.  I don't have any way to get the previous app on my new iPad as this was the first installation.

Ryan

Is your RC firmware at V1.9.3 ?

If not then there will be video problems, as the firmwares are dependant on each other.

(I believe they introduced a new video encryption when V1.9.2 was introduced with V02.00.0106 in July 2017 ).
2018-6-25
Use props
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-25 04:56
Is your RC firmware at V1.9.3 ?

If not then there will be video problems, as the firmwares are dependant on each other.

Yes, I'm on 1.9.3.  All my versions are listed in the original post.
2018-6-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-25 05:29
Yes, I'm on 1.9.3.  All my versions are listed in the original post.

Sorry, I missed that bit :-)

It's unusual for Apple devices to be having video problems.

I've watched your video from start to finish now, certainly points to App' and/or Device.
There's nothing running in the background on the iPad mini ?
I've just noticed you are using the screen recorder, that in itself might be causing the problem if running with cached video on in DJI Go 4. Try it with either video cache off in DJI Go 4, or screen recorder off, or even both off and see how invoking POI affects the display.
2018-6-25
Use props
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-25 06:43
Sorry, I missed that bit :-)

It's unusual for Apple devices to be having video problems.

OK, I'll try it with video caching off.  Of course, it did happen with recording off, that's why I recorded it haha!  That's the only time I've recorded my screen like that.

Ryan
2018-6-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-25 06:48
OK, I'll try it with video caching off.  Of course, it did happen with recording off, that's why I recorded it haha!  That's the only time I've recorded my screen like that.

Ryan

I thought that might be the case RE:- recording, but definitely linked to additional demand by App' when POI initiated. It has to do that and decode and display video, and cache it, and record it as well (2nd cache :-) ).

Normally I would expect to see minor glitches perhaps in FPV due to radio interference, but only very briefly and not often. I use iPad pro 9.7 mostly.
2018-6-25
Use props
rpmiller63
lvl.1

United States

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-25 06:48
OK, I'll try it with video caching off.  Of course, it did happen with recording off, that's why I recorded it haha!  That's the only time I've recorded my screen like that.

Ryan

Seems much better with the caching off using the new firmware.  I did several point of interest setups and didn't have any video glitches.
2018-6-25
Use props
fans9783c225
lvl.1

United States

rpmiller63 Posted at 2018-6-25 12:36
Seems much better with the caching off using the new firmware.  I did several point of interest setups and didn't have any video glitches.

Hi, I need to revisit this issue.  If you'll recall, I recently purchased a new iPad Mini 4 because it was on the approved list.  I found that when I went into point of interest mode, the real-time video became distorted and this cleared up when I cancelled POI mode.  Someone suggested disabling video caching and that fixed the problem.  

So today, I was recording video and tried going into POI mode.  The video distortion came back just as before and as soon as I cancelled POI mode, clear video returned.

DJI - please look into this.  I've seen several posts on how intensive the App is, but this is ridiculous.  My iPad is on the approved list.  It should be able to function properly.  And I really don't understand why recording affects the video, so maybe it's not really the App that's the problem.

Ryan
2018-7-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans9783c225 Posted at 2018-7-29 16:41
Hi, I need to revisit this issue.  If you'll recall, I recently purchased a new iPad Mini 4 because it was on the approved list.  I found that when I went into point of interest mode, the real-time video became distorted and this cleared up when I cancelled POI mode.  Someone suggested disabling video caching and that fixed the problem.  

So today, I was recording video and tried going into POI mode.  The video distortion came back just as before and as soon as I cancelled POI mode, clear video returned.

The cause of the issue is quite simple, th Go app uses so much of the tablets computing resources, it cannot keep up with the video decoding. This is because DJI have crammed so many features into the app, and coupled with the poor software engineering at DJI, very few devices can cope properly with the app. The solution is to reduce the load on the tablet's processsor by shutting off as many other processes as you can. This means putting the device into airplane mode so it won't be disturbed by incoming messages and shut off local video caching.

2018-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules