Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Polar pro making strange colors
937 10 2018-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coco60
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632096 ft
Canada

1.JPG P4P,why is my Polar Pro polarizing filters making dark skies in the middle and lighter blue on left and right of my pictures ?? It should polirized the whole sky not just the centre !?

2018-6-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

That is what happens with a polariser on a wide angle lens.

The amount of polarised light for it to filter will vary across the image depending on the angle the light is being reflected off the water molecules in the air.
2018-6-21
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-21 14:33
That is what happens with a polariser on a wide angle lens.

The amount of polarised light for it to filter will vary across the image depending on the angle the light is being reflected off the water molecules in the air.

..so what is the use of using these expensive polarizing filters if it gives you such a bad result? what focal (f) is on those P4P's, if it is less than 50mm like on DSLR's it would be considered as wide.
2018-6-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

coco60 Posted at 2018-6-21 14:40
..so what is the use of using these expensive polarizing filters if it gives you such a bad result? what focal (f) is on those P4P's, if it is less than 50mm like on DSLR's it would be considered as wide.

The main use is to remove reflections off water where all reflections are horizontally polarised so the filter can be fixed in a vertical orientation.

Using them on the sky is very difficult since the effect changes with angle to the sun and you cant rotate the polariser filter like you would on a DSLR to choose a good effect.

The lens is the equivalent of 20mm for a 35mm camera, gives about 90 degrees field of view which is more than enough to see a lot of variation on the polarisation of the sky.
2018-6-21
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-21 14:51
The main use is to remove reflections off water where all reflections are horizontally polarised so the filter can be fixed in a vertical orientation.

Using them on the sky is very difficult since the effect changes with angle to the sun and you cant rotate the polariser filter like you would on a DSLR to choose a good effect.

Ok thanks Nigel. So anybody interested in buying a kit of three Polar Pro filters ??
2018-6-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

coco60 Posted at 2018-6-21 14:56
Ok thanks Nigel. So anybody interested in buying a kit of three Polar Pro filters ??

It is only the polariser filter that will vary across the image, your kit can't have 3 polarisers?

In some situations the polariser can give good results, including for water and reflective grass,  but blue sky will not give even results across the frame.
2018-6-21
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

You also shouldn't have so much of the sky and your picture... with drones you have to follow that road I think it's called thirds someone correct me if I'm wrong but yes a little bit of the sky and mostly water and you probably wouldnt have had saw that
2018-6-21
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

Uhmmmm....if it’s a CIRCULAR POLARIZER....then make sure you are setting it right on the lens. Never had an issue with my polar pro filters. No matter if it’s a wide angle lens....thise filters are made to work perfectly on your drone.
2018-6-21
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

Cinefilms Posted at 2018-6-21 18:44
Uhmmmm....if it’s a CIRCULAR POLARIZER....then make sure you are setting it right on the lens. Never had an issue with my polar pro filters. No matter if it’s a wide angle lens....thise filters are made to work perfectly on your drone.

Well i just screw it on the gimbal and turn the front part till i get max polarisation being at 90 degrees with the sun !!
2018-6-22
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-21 14:51

Using them on the sky is very difficult since the effect changes with angle to the sun and you cant rotate the polariser filter like you would on a DSLR to choose a good effect.

Eventhought  the P4P has a wide angle lens 20mm the polarizing filter is covering the entire lens anyway and should not polarized only certain areas in my pictures but the whole sky !!
2018-6-22
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

coco60 Posted at 2018-6-22 13:36
Eventhought  the P4P has a wide angle lens 20mm the polarizing filter is covering the entire lens anyway and should not polarized only certain areas in my pictures but the whole sky !!

Looking out of my window this morning I see the same effect with my eyes, and without using polarised sunglasses.

The blue sky is darker where the sun is reflecting off moisture particles from behind and is a whiter colour to the sides.

I don't normally notice it because my field of view is narrower than the phantoms, at least the part that I can concentrate on is but it is there.  It is also more noticeable with a low sun where the sunlight is traveling through more atmosphere.
2018-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules