Guilty !
675 10 2018-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannes1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29806 ft

My second day out with the Spark ,used two batteries , then went to a different spot near the lake and all was good to go. This is what I did , started the TX then the RC , then my iphone , every thing was looking fine , third battery 98% , well I thought ,that was quick. I pressed the start button and the quad went up to about 1m . I took over on the controller and flew around. Up in the air I noticed that the  indicator on the bottom left of the screen was not showing the direction I was flying , then I tapped the screen to get a bigger picture . I checked the batteries , 40% the quad was about 60 m away , then I watched the arrow on the screen , tried to find out where it was pointing to. Looking at the battery what was left ,it showed 27% , well better get home quick I thought . Bugger , where is the quad ? well I lost sight of it.The indicator was useless ,so I went up to about 20 m and I found it again ,worked out which way it was pointing  and brought it home. I have never used the RTH on my P2 and if I can avoid it I will never use it on the Spark.

So here is what happened , after the last flight at the first spot I was flying  I switched the Quad off first , then the controller , THE IPHONE went into sleep mode, big mistake .
When I got to the new spot ( second was about 500m away straight line) I did the TX , RC then woke up the iphone, every thing was ok, pressed the start button and it went up 1m. Then I took over. BUT.... it never recorded the home base , it still was using the last base where I was flying before ,500 m away. So if I would have used the RTH button , then the Spark would be in 20 m deep water. With 25%  battery left ,it  would not have made it.
Next time I take the spark for a flight and shift my base , I make sure that I log out off WiFi ,or switch the phone off, I don't use it anyway.
One more importen thing is, there is no BATTERY WARNIG AUDIO ,why not ? I would not have lost the sight of it.
Cheers

2018-6-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

That's strange you didn't get a Battery Warning Low audio message? I suspect the battery was not properly performing as it might have dropped its charge suddenly? Did you not record your Home Point upon take-off at your last spot? I'm an Android user so can't speak for iPhone, but that's my best guess?
2018-6-21
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.3

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-21 22:09
That's strange you didn't get a Battery Warning Low audio message? I suspect the battery was not properly performing as it might have dropped its charge suddenly? Did you not record your Home Point upon take-off at your last spot? I'm an Android user so can't speak for iPhone, but that's my best guess?

Funny, the home point was recorded on my phone , ,but why was the arrow pointing the wrong way? When I pushed the right stick forward ,the arrow went left ,showing the quad was going left. I am going to take the spark out again in two days.
and yes there is no audio warning, it would come in handy, but can I live with out it , cheers
2018-6-21
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

No low battery audio warning when I use my iPad,,(IOS) , but I do get it when I swap over and use my Android S6,, strange
2018-6-21
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Hey Guilty Hannes :-)

Home Point is not recorded on your phone. It is recorded by Spark (by controller on Spark) and your mobile app gets notified by Spark when it happens (along with home point lat/long info). Spark does not follow what is registered in your phone - it follows what is registered in Spark's memory (what if your app crashed or RC got disconnected?)

Every time you turn off and turn on Spark again, the Home Point is reset to null.
Yes - your mobile may have shown cached values in its memory, but Spark would know better.
It would never say to mobile - "hey - tell me what you think and give me the home point". Unless you do this deliberately by forcing home point value on Spark to be equal to current RC (and by this current position as seen and registered by mobile) position. Even than, I am pretty sure if there are no s/w bugs in the app,  that DJI GO would not use its cache but rather would update its GPS co-ordinates and send the new position back to Spark.

If you hit RTH, Spark would either fly back to the HP it managed to record during this flight (somewhere close to where you stand - presumably). If its home point was null, it would either start to land where it is, or it will give you a warning that there is no HP and you need to bring it back safely - this I am not sure since I never had a luxury to experiment with RTH when home point was null.

It is very easy to make wrong conclusions from the data you have. Happens all the time on this forum. It is better to present the data (as you did) and, perhaps, present a your hypothesis of what you think would have happened asking others for the opinion. We have a lot of quite experienced analysts on this forum.
2018-6-22
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

buddy, thank sfor sharing your experience.  I do recommend you take the time to set up RTH; it saved me at least twice.  Make sure it's set at an adaquate height so that it doesn't hit anything on the way back.  Like i said, it has saved me twice for about the same reason you have; lost line of sight and panic set in.  RTH got it back to LOS and then controlled it back.
2018-6-22
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.3

Looking back, I thought the time it took for take off was very quick , and  I don't think that I was waiting for the home point to be recorded .
My RTH is set up , just in case.Cheers
2018-6-22
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

Hannes1 Posted at 2018-6-21 22:46
Funny, the home point was recorded on my phone , ,but why was the arrow pointing the wrong way? When I pushed the right stick forward ,the arrow went left ,showing the quad was going left. I am going to take the spark out again in two days.
and yes there is no audio warning, it would come in handy, but can I live with out it , cheers

I have had my direction indicator pointing the wrong way as well.
For me, it just seems like the Spark is temperamental.
Gets the right direction when it wants to.
I know that doesn't help but I have seen as many correct direction as wrong direction.
Sometimes it is linked to the app revision, other times it is anyone's guess.
And no, re-calibrating IMU and Compass does not fix it.
2018-6-22
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.3

pmshop Posted at 2018-6-22 16:59
I have had my direction indicator pointing the wrong way as well.
For me, it just seems like the Spark is temperamental.
Gets the right direction when it wants to.

The compass on my iPhone is not working correctly , maybe it got something to do with it, It would be nice if the indicator was working perfect ,cheers
2018-6-22
Use props
Hannes1
lvl.3

Just checked the Low Battery Warning , it it a no no it does not work on my phone , i phone 6 , cheers
2018-6-22
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

Hannes1 Posted at 2018-6-22 20:45
Just checked the Low Battery Warning , it it a no no it does not work on my phone , i phone 6 , cheers

Lack of audible battery low batt warning is a known problem for IOS I believe. DJI has never responded to this.
2018-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules