Minimum Ram for DJI Go 4?
12691 25 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WilleyMunda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12966 ft
United Kingdom

What is the minimum Ram required to run the dji go 4 software without issue?

I want to buy a cheap tablet to use as my ipad pro 12.9 is to cumbersome for it

2018-6-22
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can find a list of recommended (supported by DJI) and commonly used tablets here. While there is no minimum set of specs, you could try using a device that's similar to those on that list if you want to stray from it for some reason.
2018-6-22
Use props
WilleyMunda
lvl.2
United Kingdom

msinger Posted at 2018-6-22 02:41
You can find a list of recommended (supported by DJI) and commonly used tablets here. While there is no minimum set of specs, you could try using a device that's similar to those on that list if you want to stray from it for some reason.

Yes ive seen that page. It didnt say they was recommended I didnt think. I'm looking at the amazon fire hd 8 but it only has 1.5GB ram so not sure whether I would have trouble flying the drone. Wouldn't want the app to stop or crash and lose the expensive bit of kit fly away
2018-6-22
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The good news is that your drone is flown with the remote controller, so it won't just fly away if DJI GO and/or your mobile device shuts down.
2018-6-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

WilleyMunda Posted at 2018-6-22 02:55
Yes ive seen that page. It didnt say they was recommended I didnt think. I'm looking at the amazon fire hd 8 but it only has 1.5GB ram so not sure whether I would have trouble flying the drone. Wouldn't want the app to stop or crash and lose the expensive bit of kit fly away

Hi, if your mobile device is not listed as a supported device for your drone, it may produce sub-quality pictures and videos. For not listed devices, it may work sometimes but not all the time. It is highly recommended to use a compatible device to make sure you can use all the features of your drone.
2018-6-22
Use props
WilleyMunda
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-22 03:20
Hi, if your mobile device is not listed as a supported device for your drone, it may produce sub-quality pictures and videos. For not listed devices, it may work sometimes but not all the time. It is highly recommended to use a compatible device to make sure you can use all the features of your drone.

So if I purchased an Acer Iconia or Amazon Fire HD8 they will be ok?

or I can just buy a mavmount from USA that will hopefully be good enough quality to hold such a big tablet such as my ipad pro 12.9
2018-6-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Yes ive seen that page. It didnt say they was recommended I didnt think. I'm looking at the amazon fire hd 8 but it only has 1.5GB ram so not sure whether I would have trouble flying the drone. Wouldn't want the app to stop or crash and lose the expensive bit of kit fly away

The Fire will prove unsuitable.
It is adequate for web browsing and similar low intensity processing, not for drone use. It is so unthinkable that I have not tried it, but the screen brightness will also prevent practical use in sunlight. Remember, the brighter the screen, the shorter the battery life between charges. Fire is intended to have long-ish battery life and a screen readable indoors.
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Being compatible and being optimised are separate things - some 'work' whilst others perform almost flawlessly. I have never had any major issues using top end iPhone plus models. The app is presently optimised for the iPhone 8 and 8 plus.
2018-6-22
Use props
sanuk
lvl.4
Australia

A related question about GO 4 tablet storage requirements: are there any reasons why an Ipad Mini 4 with only 16GB of storage would have any problems running DJI GO 4?  GO 4 will be be the only app used on the tablet. Any real benefit of more than 16GB?
2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Android phones use 1 memory chip to process while iphone has a dedicated processor for its memory hence you will hardly find lag on any apple devices. The bare minimum that i would reccomend after testing numerous devices samsung, iphone, huwei, mobitel etc is 3 gigs of ram and even that causes some issues with the newer version of dji go4. The more the app is updated the more ram it looks for and consumes in the background to run the app.
2018-6-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

sanuk Posted at 2018-6-22 04:43
A related question about GO 4 tablet storage requirements: are there any reasons why an Ipad Mini 4 with only 16GB of storage would have any problems running DJI GO 4?  GO 4 will be be the only app used on the tablet. Any real benefit of more than 16GB?

16gb is a substantial space to save stills and video that are sent from the drone during flight. I presume you will delete them rather than let them accumulate. This being different to RAM, of course.
2018-6-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I wouldn't risk buying a cheap tablet to use with flying an expensive drone. Everyone who purchases DJI drones should understand that the purchase should be made in lieu of a smart device that has robust power to support high quality video feed streaming back to your device. Therefore, I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 with 4GB RAM and there's still lag?

The analogy I use is - would you buy an expensive car to put cheap tires on it?
2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-22 10:20
I wouldn't risk buying a cheap tablet to use with flying an expensive drone. Everyone who purchases DJI drones should understand that the purchase should be made in lieu of a smart device that has robust power to support high quality video feed streaming back to your device. Therefore, I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 with 4GB RAM and there's still lag?

The analogy I use is - would you buy an expensive car to put cheap tires on it?

Hi David, Fully agree with You. When you say you have lag with your S7, would your phone have just been upgraded to the latest Samsung firmware? If your answer is yes then the solution is to roll back. If you open the settings tab on your phone and go to device maintenance and select Memory you will see that the now available memory would be around 1.1gig or less, this will be your cause for the Lag. The latest Samsung update uses alot of ram to run
2018-6-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-6-22 08:06
Android phones use 1 memory chip to process while iphone has a dedicated processor for its memory hence you will hardly find lag on any apple devices. The bare minimum that i would reccomend after testing numerous devices samsung, iphone, huwei, mobitel etc is 3 gigs of ram and even that causes some issues with the newer version of dji go4. The more the app is updated the more ram it looks for and consumes in the background to run the app.

Android phones use 1 memory chip to process while iphone has a dedicated processor for its memory

As not to confuse others - Memory chips don't process data, memory chips store data that is processed by CPU.  

Overtly simplified - CPU reads data from memory, processes data, then writes data back to memory.  

2018-6-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Suren Posted at 2018-6-22 10:27
Hi David, Fully agree with You. When you say you have lag with your S7, would your phone have just been upgraded to the latest Samsung firmware? If your answer is yes then the solution is to roll back. If you open the settings tab on your phone and go to device maintenance and select Memory you will see that the now available memory would be around 1.1gig or less, this will be your cause for the Lag. The latest Samsung update uses alot of ram to run

I have decided to ditch the samsun s9+ and go back to the samsung j7. It would be dedicated. The j7 was also upgraded to orio. How do you roll back that firmware?
2018-6-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-6-22 10:27
Hi David, Fully agree with You. When you say you have lag with your S7, would your phone have just been upgraded to the latest Samsung firmware? If your answer is yes then the solution is to roll back. If you open the settings tab on your phone and go to device maintenance and select Memory you will see that the now available memory would be around 1.1gig or less, this will be your cause for the Lag. The latest Samsung update uses alot of ram to run

Hi Suren-

I checked my Samsung S7 memory -  you're right - these are the results of my phone:

System and apps: 2.2 GB
Available space: 1.1 GB
Reserved: 678 MB
Operating system: Android 7.0 Nougat

How do you do a roll back? Thanks!

2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-22 12:48
Hi Suren-

I checked my Samsung S7 memory -  you're right - these are the results of my phone:

To roll back you have to first find out what region your phone software is on, the best site would be sammobile
2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-22 11:31
I have decided to ditch the samsun s9+ and go back to the samsung j7. It would be dedicated. The j7 was also upgraded to orio. How do you roll back that firmware?

See my comment to David sill be same for J7.
2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi Suren-

Wait sorry, were you asking about roll back on the Dji App, if that is what you asking about go to Apk Mirror and download the version of the app you want but ensure you completely delete the current one  even from the My Files in the Storage
2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi Suren-

Use this link here
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_ ... htype=apk&s=dji
2018-6-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-6-22 22:20
To roll back you have to first find out what region your phone software is on, the best site would be sammobile

I am in the U.S.

2018-6-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-6-22 22:23
Wait sorry, were you asking about roll back on the Dji App, if that is what you asking about go to Apk Mirror and download the version of the app you want but ensure you completely delete the current one  even from the My Files in the Storage

DJI Support sent me V. 4.2.16 and it seemed buggy not sure if installing another version is going to resolve the problem?
2018-6-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-6-22 22:24
Use this link here
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=dji

Thanks for the link. I will have a look and see which version to install and update. Thanks again.
2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-22 23:10
Thanks for the link. I will have a look and see which version to install and update. Thanks again.

4.2.12 is the most stable for me
2018-6-22
Use props
GiantBubbleGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41962 ft
United States

I realize that this reply is pretty late, but I just figured I'd share my experience with the Kindle Fire HD8 2017 version. I took the simple steps to load the Google Play store on the Fire tablet and installed DJI GO4. I'm shocked to say it works better, far better than my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge ever did. Very very little lag (way less than the S7E, and no pixelation or picture drop outs that I get all the time with my S7E. It surprises me, but it's true.
2018-8-3
Use props
Cartoon HD
New

India

As long as you have the latest Android version and all the updated drivers, you will have no issue in running it. Furthermore, a quad-core device (Qualcomm SoC 660 or above) and a memory of around 4GB is enough to run most of the apps on Android. Thank you for posting your query here.
Regards,
Cartoon HD
2019-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules