Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mobile Device Display on bright days
12Next >
2178 47 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

Hello all, Well I ran into one fairly annoying issue when I went out to fly today.  I use an iPad Mini 4 for my mobile device.  Granted it was just after noon on almost the longest day of the year and the sun was directly overhead but.....I was having a devil of a time seeing the display.  Manipulating the settings was next to impossible.  I am using a DJI sun shade that fits great but was quite ineffective.  Very frustrating as I have not flown for awhile and I wanted to get some things done.  Aside from going inside to adjust and verify settings, I could not see a solution readily available.  Any ideas greatly appreciated.  Thanks all.
2018-6-22
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

That is something we all have issues with. They do make some other sun shades that work better than DJI's, but they are cumbersome too. I don't know anyone that has the CrystalSky monitors, but they make the claim you an see better than any other device. You might think of a large outdoor umbrella like you would use at the beach...…….I've heard that works well.
2018-6-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. May I know what aircraft you are using? Also, may you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing in your iPad 4 mini? Thank you.
2018-6-22
Use props
TheLazyC
First Officer
Flight distance : 1256995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are the two items I purchased to help with this issue, together was less than $15

Anti-Glare Screen

Sun Shield
2018-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-22 13:10
Hello. May I know what aircraft you are using? Also, may you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing in your iPad 4 mini? Thank you.

Hello. May I know what aircraft you are using? Also, may you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing in your iPad 4 mini?
Hello ... is that your standard reply to everything?
That's no help at all and makes it sound like you don't understand his post.
A screenshot won't show you anything relevant.
The model of his Phantom is irrelevant.
2018-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Everyone not using the Crystalsky screens has that problem.
Find some good shade near a tree or building and fly from there.
2018-6-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-22 13:37
Hello. May I know what aircraft you are using? Also, may you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing in your iPad 4 mini?

I'm sorry Sir but I am collating information so that we can better assist the customer. Thank you.
2018-6-22
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-22 13:37

Haven't you figured that Natalia is a Robot?  

I actually remember that this was one of my very first replies on this forum.
Upon every issue a mod came in recommending all kinds of calibrations. Always the same text.
Google calls it AI ;-)
2018-6-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

In addition, due to the limitation of current technology, pretty much any tablets will struggle to give you a clear display under direct sunlight, so it's recommended to get a full hood.
2018-6-22
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

Coming from old school photography with large format cameras:
I still have my "dark cloth" from back then and use it in the sun.
But I need to make a newer, lighter and breathier one.
Under my old rag it get's pretty hot ;-)
cloth.jpg
2018-6-22
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184 ft
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-22 14:03
[view_image]But I need to make a newer, lighter and breathier one.

Tricky to keep an eye on your drone with your head in a black sack...
2018-6-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

LOL @ Eric
2018-6-22
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-6-22 14:04
Tricky to keep an eye on your drone with your head in a black sack...

I use one of these shades with my iPhone 8 Plus, I was out under the midday sun today with it and it worked well enough. It's no Hoodman (expensive) but it works.

2018-6-22
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-6-22 12:13
That is something we all have issues with. They do make some other sun shades that work better than DJI's, but they are cumbersome too. I don't know anyone that has the CrystalSky monitors, but they make the claim you an see better than any other device. You might think of a large outdoor umbrella like you would use at the beach...…….I've heard that works well.

I use a beach chair that has a foldable canopy top. Works pretty good.
2018-6-22
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-6-22 14:09
I use one of these shades with my iPhone 8 Plus, I was out under the midday sun today with it and it worked well enough. It's no Hoodman (expensive) but it works.

[view_image]

What brand is that? I've been looking for something like that but all I could find were the expensive hoodman ones.
2018-6-22
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-22 14:03
[view_image]But I need to make a newer, lighter and breathier one.

Ya know...that thought had occurred to but then I thought, vintage 1800. this is the 21st century.  You would think we would have gotten past that by now.  LCD's are great, just don't take 'em outside.   The wife suggested a sombrero.  I guess, any port in a storm.
2018-6-22
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-22 13:10

Hi Natalia, Im sorry I did not get a pic.  But it is easily duplicated by just taking your phone out in the sun and looking at the display.  BTW, I am flying a P4P ver.1
2018-6-22
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

I use a Galaxy S9 plus and I have no problems in the Sun....1130 nits is great! No sunscreen required
2018-6-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Ghost Armor

Has anyone tried the matte finish film for screen protection and sun glare?
The brilliant folks over at the kiosk in your nearest shopping mall carry it.

.https://www.ghost-armor.com/

RedHotPoker

2018-6-22
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

If there is ONE really good thing about the Crystal Sky Ultrabright, it's that I can see it under ANY lighting conditions. It's really clear and articulate with good color saturation so all warning messages are easily noticed. In addition, it's nice to be able to see where you're flying. When I was using my phone before this, it was like flying blind. I could only look at the drone to see where it was heading, as the screen was un legible, even in the shade.
2018-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-22 13:40
I'm sorry Sir but I am collating information so that we can better assist the customer. Thank you.

The information you were "collating" is meaningless in the context of his query and would not have helped you or him.
You may as well asked his shoe size and eye colour.
2018-6-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-22 13:45
In addition, due to the limitation of current technology, pretty much any tablets will struggle to give you a clear display under direct sunlight, so it's recommended to get a full hood.

Natalia, this is not limitation of current technology. It is intentional to employ screens of low brightness for tablets or phones, which are used mainly indoor and have limited power supply. Super bright screens for outdoor video monitoring are available for quite some time, long before DJI CrystalSky device.
2018-6-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-22 17:44
If there is ONE really good thing about the Crystal Sky Ultrabright, it's that I can see it under ANY lighting conditions. It's really clear and articulate with good color saturation so all warning messages are easily noticed. In addition, it's nice to be able to see where you're flying. When I was using my phone before this, it was like flying blind. I could only look at the drone to see where it was heading, as the screen was un legible, even in the shade.

I sometimes wear a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones while flying.

All verbal warnings are clearly heard. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-6-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-22 17:44
If there is ONE really good thing about the Crystal Sky Ultrabright, it's that I can see it under ANY lighting conditions. It's really clear and articulate with good color saturation so all warning messages are easily noticed. In addition, it's nice to be able to see where you're flying. When I was using my phone before this, it was like flying blind. I could only look at the drone to see where it was heading, as the screen was un legible, even in the shade.

I sometimes wear a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones while flying.

All verbal warnings or commands, are clearly heard. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-6-22
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-6-22 14:09
I use one of these shades with my iPhone 8 Plus, I was out under the midday sun today with it and it worked well enough. It's no Hoodman (expensive) but it works.

[view_image]

It must be a little awkward to poke around on the screen with that box mounted?
2018-6-23
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.3
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-23 03:09
It must be a little awkward to poke around on the screen with that box mounted?

A bit annoying but I got used to it...

2018-6-23
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-6-23 05:55
A bit annoying but I got used to it...

[view_image]

Ahh yes clever, not the most ideal hand position but not as bad as i thought, Thanks.
2018-6-23
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
  • >>>

That box is so cheesy I wouldn't be able to do that.... thank goodness for the S9 Plus super bright in any conditions.... and it's fast as heck
2018-6-23
Use props
hgv trucker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi All...I have just started useing my Epson Moverio BT 300 Glasses and even with the bright sunny day's we have been lucky to have lately I have found that I only need to fit the lighter of the 2 sun shades on to the glasses to still be able to see the drone through the app. VERY well recommended so far.And going slightly 'off topic here' A freind of mine was also flying with me and he had the crystalsky and although I thought it was a lot brighter than my I-pad mini 4 I still struggled to see it from the side.Also because I have the 'Litchi app.' installed onto my glasses He was not sure if the Litchi app.would install onto his crystalsky monitor 'yet' ???
2018-6-23
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-6-23 21:20
That box is so cheesy I wouldn't be able to do that.... thank goodness for the S9 Plus super bright in any conditions.... and it's fast as heck

We use what works - and this does work (and a whole lot cheaper than buying an S9 just for the job).
2018-6-24
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

hgv trucker Posted at 2018-6-23 23:53
Hi All...I have just started useing my Epson Moverio BT 300 Glasses and even with the bright sunny day's we have been lucky to have lately I have found that I only need to fit the lighter of the 2 sun shades on to the glasses to still be able to see the drone through the app. VERY well recommended so far.And going slightly 'off topic here' A freind of mine was also flying with me and he had the crystalsky and although I thought it was a lot brighter than my I-pad mini 4 I still struggled to see it from the side.Also because I have the 'Litchi app.' installed onto my glasses He was not sure if the Litchi app.would install onto his crystalsky monitor 'yet' ???

I would say it become more than a little OT, but still being in regards to seeing the display on bright days.
If bought on Amazon, Litchi is supposed to be working on the CrystalSky device (and +RC's) now.
I thought that the BT300 had a lot unhappy users after some of the later updates not following up on those.
2018-6-24
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
  • >>>

I hear ya chrisLX200
2018-6-24
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain

I was hoping to avoid a cumbersome hood type contraption but it looks unavoidable.  I bought some Velcro and now I am looking for some panels that are light and black on one side and white on the other.  I am envisioning retrofitting the DJI hood with an " addition".  
Sure not shelling a G for an S9
2018-6-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I had the perfect setup with a tree right over and behind me on the highest corner of my property.  I flew from that corner all the time.  It was PERFECT!  Would you believe I came home one day and the tree was chopped down?  Neighbor asked my wife if they could chop it down because it was blocking the sun from their garden in the late afternoon and she said "Sure!"  Nobody says anything to me.  WTF.  

I'm married.  Shoot me.  
2018-6-24
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-6-22 20:54
Natalia, this is not limitation of current technology. It is intentional to employ screens of low brightness for tablets or phones, which are used mainly indoor and have limited power supply. Super bright screens for outdoor video monitoring are available for quite some time, long before DJI CrystalSky device.

I was thinking about an LCD screen on a marine depth finder.  They are sufficiently bright to see on a sunny day but they are powered by the boat electrical system and consume a lot more power.
2018-6-24
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
  • >>>

Anokadrone sure i guess if u already have a late model galaxy s8, s9, or note 8 its nice....
2018-6-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-6-24 16:46
I was thinking about an LCD screen on a marine depth finder.  They are sufficiently bright to see on a sunny day but they are powered by the boat electrical system and consume a lot more power.

Power is the main issue here. That's why DJI CrystalSky monitor is powered by chunky battery pack, good for a hour or two.
2018-6-24
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-24 16:33
I had the perfect setup with a tree right over and behind me on the highest corner of my property.  I flew from that corner all the time.  It was PERFECT!  Would you believe I came home one day and the tree was chopped down?  Neighbor asked my wife if they could chop it down because it was blocking the sun from their garden in the late afternoon and she said "Sure!"  Nobody says anything to me.  WTF.  

I'm married.  Shoot me.

Mmmmm...still married??
2018-6-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-6-25 03:45
Mmmmm...still married??

Yes.  She makes really good pie.  
2018-6-25