Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Discharging Intelligent Batteries
3160 24 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
It is my understanding that Lipo batteries should be discharged to about 20% or less when bringing them on airlines.  The suggestion I have found is to run the Mavic Air until they are discharged.  This does not seem like a great solution when I have four batteries.  Are there any better solutions out there?  I know the batteries will automatically discharge after ten days of non-use but there will be times when I cannot wait that long, especially if I bring the drone with me traveling and need them discharged for the return trip.
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Use the power bank adaptor to discharge them quicker and use the energy to recharge your iPhones and iPads rather than waste it.
2018-6-22
Use props
rparge
First Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

Mavic Angel, aka Phantom Angel
I have one and it works great.

http://phantomangel.rocks/
2018-6-22
Use props
rparge Posted at 2018-6-22 14:28
Mavic Angel, aka Phantom Angel
I have one and it works great.

Sounds like an interesting option but I did not see one made for the Mavic Air.  Is this incorrect ?
2018-6-25
Use props
Mavic Dave
First Officer
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

Just flown from Dublin to Toronto, Toronto to Calgary, Vancouver to Toronto, Toronto to Dublin.  Have also flown numerous flights in the UK.

No issues with Drone or batteries.  Rucksack not even opened.  

I think the 20% charged theory is just a theory.
2018-6-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-6-26 00:46
Just flown from Dublin to Toronto, Toronto to Calgary, Vancouver to Toronto, Toronto to Dublin.  Have also flown numerous flights in the UK.

I guess the theory will come into practice if the rucksack is opened one-day...
2018-6-26
Use props
Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-6-26 00:46

The way I understand it, this is a safety issue where the batteries should be drained to prevent potential fires from LiPo batteries.  It is not an issue whether our bags are checked.  Airport security would not know what level batteries are if they come by them unless they knew how to check them.  So this battery charge level is something fliers do for their own safety and others flying on the aircraft.
2018-6-26
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

I have never heard or had any problem with fully recharged batteries. They are under the 100W/h so no special requirement is needed afaik.
2018-6-26
Use props
Rblomqvist
Captain
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

Here is a link to FAA about Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries: https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... s_and_batteries.pdf
As correctly stated max 100 Wh per battery is allowed as carry on, not as checked luggage.  
2018-6-26
Use props
Rblomqvist
Captain
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

And this is the specifications from DJI for MA batteries

Capacity: 2375 mAh
Voltage: 11.55 V, Max 13.2 V
Battery Type: LiPo 3S
Energy: 27.43 Wh
2018-6-26
Use props
rparge
First Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

nieto Posted at 2018-6-25 04:31
Sounds like an interesting option but I did not see one made for the Mavic Air.  Is this incorrect ?

Yeah, looks like no MA yet, but drop him a line, may have one in the works, very nice guy and uber responsive.
2018-6-26
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

You should only charge the battery before flight. The fully charged battery is more risky for fire. You should be careful to store and transport charged battery. No problem before doesn’t mean it won’t happen. When things go wrong you can lost much much more than a battery. I do use fireproof safety bag to carry charged batteries for safety.
2018-6-26
Use props
Mavic Dave
First Officer
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-6-26 01:21
I guess the theory will come into practice if the rucksack is opened one-day...

If they had opened the bag they would have found, the drone with a battery in it along with two Mavic Air batteries in a LIPO bag (probably fully charged).  A Gopro Hero 5 with a battery in it along with two spare batteries in LIPO packs.  A DJI Osmo 2 and a Panasonic Lumix camera.  

Pretty much a "Tourist" camera kit.  As I have said, I have traveled a good bit throughout the UK and now Canada with Zero issues.

2018-6-27
Use props
Mavic Dave
First Officer
United Kingdom

nieto Posted at 2018-6-26 05:08
The way I understand it, this is a safety issue where the batteries should be drained to prevent potential fires from LiPo batteries.  It is not an issue whether our bags are checked.  Airport security would not know what level batteries are if they come by them unless they knew how to check them.  So this battery charge level is something fliers do for their own safety and others flying on the aircraft.

No problem with the safety aspect of things, but a lot has been said about discharging Mavic Air batteries and I can visualize pilots firing up their Drones and spending quite a bit of time discharging batteries before flying.

These batteries are well below the limit for batteries (during commercial flights) and provided we act sensibly e.g put the spare batteries in a LIPO bag , I can't see an issue.
2018-6-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-6-27 04:00
If they had opened the bag they would have found, the drone with a battery in it along with two Mavic Air batteries in a LIPO bag (probably fully charged).  A Gopro Hero 5 with a battery in it along with two spare batteries in LIPO packs.  A DJI Osmo 2 and a Panasonic Lumix camera.  

Pretty much a "Tourist" camera kit.  As I have said, I have traveled a good bit throughout the UK and now Canada with Zero issues.

I guess that all depends on the Airline - I've also seen many have their drone taken from them at customs and never to be seen again. Always best practice to check beforehand.
2018-6-27
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-6-27 04:14
I guess that all depends on the Airline - I've also seen many have their drone taken from them at customs and never to be seen again. Always best practice to check beforehand.

That is not related to batteries. That is related to drone regulations in certain countries (like some south american countries)
2018-6-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-6-27 04:45
That is not related to batteries. That is related to drone regulations in certain countries (like some south american countries)

It can very much be related to batteries - I have seen some examples on here over the years - perhaps you missed them...
2018-6-27
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-6-27 05:06
It can very much be related to batteries - I have seen some examples on here over the years - perhaps you missed them...

I did.

Which ones?
2018-6-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a look for yourself - I've got better things to do than educate you pal - better still, why don't you take a sack full of batteries on your next holiday and learn the hard way!  Good luck.
2018-6-27
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-6-27 05:12
Have a look for yourself - I've got better things to do than educate you pal - better still, why don't you take a sack full of batteries on your next holiday and learn the hard way!  Good luck.

LOL

Chill "pal". Before being rude you can say a lot of different things.

Whatever your problem is, take it to someone else. I asked for the info. It takes you 10 seconds to say that it was written not long ago (so I know I don't have to dig in pages and pages), instead of puking your comment in those manners.

Anyway. nothing to see here from you apparently. My bad for expecting people to behave like educated persons.

And yes, I DO take my drone with batteries fully recharges or at least at 75%. Thanks for nothing.
2018-6-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-6-27 06:05
LOL

Cue the violins
2018-6-27
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-6-27 06:05
LOL

The recommendation to travel with batteries at "storage level charge" is a saftey feature.  The lower charge reduces the chance of expansion and or explosion.  
I'm not sure if it's a regulation or just a guideline.  For me, it's a standard practice.  I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I drop the charge to about 50% on each battery.  I don't do 20%.  That way, when I arrive, i can get flying quicker.

Take a look at the below.  It's one of the many places that shows some of the guidelines for traveling with them.

https://www.dronetrest.com/t/lip ... rone-batteries/1396

As for users getting their batteries taken, I have read a few in the forums as well.  I can't point you to them right this moment.  I'm not that great at searching the forum either, as I'm still learning to navigate it.  I've been here for only a few months.I've also seen posts where someone says that they travel all the time with theirs and while the drone gets pulled for inspection they haven't checked the batteries.
2018-6-27
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Netherlands

3-D Posted at 2018-6-27 17:15
The recommendation to travel with batteries at "storage level charge" is a saftey feature.  The lower charge reduces the chance of expansion and or explosion.  
I'm not sure if it's a regulation or just a guideline.  For me, it's a standard practice.  I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I drop the charge to about 50% on each battery.  I don't do 20%.  That way, when I arrive, i can get flying quicker.

Thanks for the info!

Never happened to me tbh, but I use to fly to countries with pretty standard regulations. I also bought some time ago the pin protectors. The few times I got the drone inspected, when they saw the plastic protections, they stopped looking after that.
2018-6-27
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-6-27 22:46
Thanks for the info!

Never happened to me tbh, but I use to fly to countries with pretty standard regulations. I also bought some time ago the pin protectors. The few times I got the drone inspected, when they saw the plastic protections, they stopped looking after that.

I also have the pin protectors.  I had a friend with a 3-D printer make them for me for the express purpose of being able to travel within the safest guidelines possible.  I already get the 'random security check' almost everytime I fly, so it' s best for me to be prepared.
2018-6-28
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Netherlands

3-D Posted at 2018-6-28 01:29
I also have the pin protectors.  I had a friend with a 3-D printer make them for me for the express purpose of being able to travel within the safest guidelines possible.  I already get the 'random security check' almost everytime I fly, so it' s best for me to be prepared.

They see you with a dangerous face or something hahahaha.

Well, in some airports (like the one in the city I was born) I ALWAYS get checked. In the rest, I rarely do unless I don't separate all the electronic inside the bag correctly.
2018-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules