Is a battery allowed to be attached during travel
1027 14 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CjMiller7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35413 ft

I am going on a trip/plane tomorrow and I know I am allowed to take my drone/batteries and take it on as a carry-on. However, I am unsure if a battery is allowed to be attached to the drone during travel. I have a case that allows for me to take 3 extra batteries and I have 4 batteries. So am I allowed to take all 4 including the one attached to my drone or do I have to leave a man behind and only take the 3 extra batteries? The case has 3 batteries slots with foam in between them, so obviously no batteries would be touching, other than the one battery attached to the drone itself.

I also have seen before to put electrical tape on the batteries so I am going to do this just to be double safe.
2018-6-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I have bought Lipo-Bags to be Airline Safe. You should have done that before your Flight Buddy, Think ahead next time...

Have a Safe Flight, and Enjoy your Holiday !

2018-6-22
Use props
CjMiller7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35413 ft

Fortunately I do have a lipo bag just incase. Ill go ahead and throw 2 of them in there.
2018-6-22
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

To confirm, they cannot be attached to the craft.
But this is not a TSA issue, this is per airline regulations and they are all different.
Southwest does not allow them to be attached but another airline might.
2018-6-23
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

lipo bag would help to hold it
2018-6-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

yes, a battery attached to a drone (device) is not seen as a "unsave" battery. It is also not seen as a spare battery, b/c it is THE battery of the device. See it like a notebook. You shouldn't check it in, but that is for stealing reasons, and: you can check it in (at most airlines)
2018-6-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

pmshop Posted at 2018-6-23 04:54
To confirm, they cannot be attached to the craft.
But this is not a TSA issue, this is per airline regulations and they are all different.
Southwest does not allow them to be attached but another airline might.

Where have you found this, please?
I travel always with one in the bird.
The battery in the device/drone/notebook is protected by the "maschine"
How would you disable batteries, these days, from most phones, tabs, netbooks?
2018-6-23
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-6-23 05:03
Where have you found this, please?
I travel always with one in the bird.
The battery in the device/drone/notebook is ptotected by the "maschine"

The deal is with bigger voltage and mAh batteries need to be disconnected on drones.
With the Spark, you can have as many as you want.
But something like my 6S (22.6v) home made 10,000mAh, I can only carry one battery.

And, it is up to the specific airline, not the TSA:
From the TSA:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/secur ... ibring/items/drones

From Southwest (our perfected carrier) reply number 4 from Lindsey Southwest rep:
https://www.southwestaircommunit ... -Luggage/td-p/54172

Now, protected from short circuit is pretty straight forward for a Spark.
This is protected:

There are also covers you can get:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-pcs-B ... :g:ccMAAOSw14JZjW8q
2018-6-23
Use props
Rubik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1224921 ft
United Kingdom

Taking it on a plane? I have taken mine on Jet2 and Ryanair several times in my hand luggage. It goes through security without any issues. I leave a battery attached to Spark, it has never been queried. Pss be careful of Spanish drone laws if visiting the Costa del Sol.
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Rubik Posted at 2018-6-24 06:12
Taking it on a plane? I have taken mine on Jet2 and Ryanair several times in my hand luggage. It goes through security without any issues. I leave a battery attached to Spark, it has never been queried. Pss be careful of Spanish drone laws if visiting the Costa del Sol.

Rubik can you take more than 2pcs Batteries as you are from UK and might know if there are any issues.

Also do you need to phone the Airlines / Airport for confirmation before travelling or you never found any problems ?

You are right about Spain, they have a lot of rules there. My friend is going to Palma, he lives in Spain and told me its better that he doesn't take the Drone with him as there are too many No Fly Zones.

2018-6-24
Use props
Rubik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1224921 ft
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-24 06:15
Rubik can you take more than 2pcs Batteries as you are from UK and might know if there are any issues.

Also do you need to phone the Airlines / Airport for confirmation before travelling or you never found any problems ?

Obviously safety is an issue but in my opinion as long as the batteries are separated, in their own compartments and cannot move around, you could take 6 or more. In normal situations they wouldn't explode so why on a plane?

I didn't notify the airline on any occasion. I just packed my drone in the black bag which came in the box (2 sewn compartments, one drone and controller). At the airport I just popped it in a tray on the conveyor belt along with my shoes, belt, money etc and it went through their X-ray machine without any questions.
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Rubik Posted at 2018-6-24 06:47
Obviously safety is an issue but in my opinion as long as the batteries are separated, in their own compartments and cannot move around, you could take 6 or more. In normal situations they wouldn't explode so why on a plane?

I didn't notify the airline on any occasion. I just packed my drone in the black bag which came in the box (2 sewn compartments, one drone and controller). At the airport I just popped it in a tray on the conveyor belt along with my shoes, belt, money etc and it went through their X-ray machine without any questions.

Cheers Rubik,

Really Helpful Mate ! I have Li-Po Bags too, to pop them in.

I am asking you as I never have traveled with the Drone yet.
2018-6-24
Use props
Terp1234
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50906 ft
Netherlands

Travelling to Canada with Air Transat soon. Yesterday I sent them a mail if they have any special rules for the LiPo's. Hope they will answer soon. But best thing is to contact the Airliner.
2018-6-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, contact the airliner and check the drone laws at the country you are visiting. Carry the batteries with you in lipo bags and any confirmation from airlines should be confirmed in writing - take a copy of the email with you.
2018-6-25
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

I usually take my Spark carry case onboard the flight , three spare batteries and one attached to the drone , never had an issue and fly quite a few different carriers in and out of europe and asia a few times each month.
2018-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules