File numbering sequence
9423 36 2018-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MAPilot
lvl.4

My SD memory card filled up during a flight, and I let the MA start using the internal memory.

Upon review, it turns out that the photo and video files in the internal memory use the same numbering scheme: the internal memory and memory card both start at 1. This creates problems when you have two different files on the same computer with the same name.

Question:
If I delete all files on the SD card, will the photo/video file numbering pick up the existing sequence where it left off, or go back to 001?
If I reformat the card, will the last number in the sequence be wiped, or is it stored on the drone?
Also, how do I delete the internal 8G, without restarting the numbering?

2018-6-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

In camera/video settings menu in DJI Go 4 chose 'continuous' instead of 'reset', and it will continue to update the number for each file after formatting. I believe though the limit is 0999 before it returns to 1 (not 9,999 as the four digit naming might suggest). This should alleviate  any file naming problems.

I'm not familiar with the Airs internal memory management so can't comment on that, but should be easy enough (format perhaps ?).
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-23 09:06
In camera/video settings menu in DJI Go 4 chose 'continuous' instead of 'reset', and it will continue to update the number for each file after formatting. I believe though the limit is 0999 before it returns to 1 (not 9,999 as the four digit naming might suggest). This should alleviate  any file naming problems.

Yes, it is correct. It will reset when it reaches 0999. Thank you for clarifying.
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience.We will need to clarify this to our R&D engineers. I will get in touch as soon as I receive the response from them.
2018-6-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-23 09:16
Yes, it is correct. It will reset when it reaches 0999. Thank you for clarifying.

Good to know - thanks
2018-6-23
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-23 09:17
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience.We will need to clarify this to our R&D engineers. I will get in touch as soon as I receive the response from them.

Thanks for looking into this. Looking forward to the explanation.
2018-6-24
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4

Anything from the engineer?
2018-6-25
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4

2018-6-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MAPilot Posted at 2018-6-25 18:52

Hi, this has been forwarded to our engineers for review. I will notify you once we receive a response from them. Thank you.
2018-6-26
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Denmark

If you use Windows, you can choose "Keep both" when copying and the duplicated names will be changed to something like FILE001 (2).mp4
2018-6-26
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

It will go to 0001. If Go app don't find file number in \DCMI\100media on the card you use it will start from 0000.
If it find number in \DCMI\100MEDIA it will use that number as last number.
You can copy last picture into \DCMI\100MEDIA on your card and Dji GO will use it as last number.
If last number is 0999 it will make new folder 101MEDIA in DCMI folder on card.

This is not new to DJI and the answer was hardware limit this.
2018-6-26
Use props
Rblomqvist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

The limit of 999 was news to me too, I always believed it was 9999 based on the naming. Feels like this would be an easy fix from DJI to give us 10x. I have only had the drone for 5+ months, not using the drone that much and I am already at 400 pics/videos. Guess many others have maxed out with the potential to overwrite prior pics and videos.
2018-6-26
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I don’t understand why hardware restricted the file number sequence to only 999. I don’t see any camera I used has this problem. This little issue made the camera file system worst than some toy camera. Can’t understand why they don’t fix this stupid problem. This should no be difficult to fix at all.
2018-6-26
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

GDL Posted at 2018-6-26 07:27
I don’t understand why hardware restricted the file number sequence to only 999. I don’t see any camera I used has this problem. This little issue made the camera file system worst than some toy camera. Can’t understand why they don’t fix this stupid problem. This should no be difficult to fix at all.

This is software not hardware which cause this.
Can't think of how it's hardware.
2018-6-26
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

It’s more unreasonable they can’t fix this simple software problem.
2018-6-26
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-26 01:08
Hi, this has been forwarded to our engineers for review. I will notify you once we receive a response from them. Thank you.

Have the engineers responded?
2018-7-23
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

There are many threads rise out this issue before. Only reply from DJI is informed engineer.
2018-7-23
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Doing larger mapping jobs,  you can have 1 location and 600 to 800 photos......if you are doing multiple jobs and your location photos get split into two folders, this can be
mildly time consuming, let alone confusing.

But then again, that's why you would bring multiple sdcards with you!!

Randy
2018-7-23
Use props
TimmyD
lvl.1

United States

DJI can you please provide an update on getting this fixed?  As one user stated when you do multiple jobs with 500+ images on each one this creates a mess!!  yes we can use multiple SD cards but the fact is there is no reason that the number sequence should not go to 9999 (instead of 0999).  This problem has been going on for a long time and this should be a very simple programming fix.  Please advise.
2019-1-13
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

If it were a hardware limitation I'd expect the number limit would be 1023, not 999.
2019-1-13
Use props
OllieM2P-Aus
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-26 01:08
Hi, this has been forwarded to our engineers for review. I will notify you once we receive a response from them. Thank you.

It's been a year and this is still happening. Where is the answer?
2019-5-22
Use props
Stefan Hampden
New

+1 for 9999 images per folder - have lost a bunch of data to this issue when doing mapping with pix4d - images overwritten in folder rather than going to new folder - please bump idex to 9999 rather than current 0999.
2019-9-5
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4
United States

Still nothing new from DJI?
2019-10-20
Use props
mLev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120961 ft
Hungary

Half year passed since the last post in this thread and as  new DJI Mavic Mini user, I still experience this issue. I have reached 0999 at the image/video counter, and my device started counting from 0001. It is very annoying and unless I rename all the files, which I don't intend to do, it will give a headache in the work I do. If we have a solution for this issue, DJI please advise.
Thanks!   
2020-6-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mLev Posted at 6-1 10:18
Half year passed since the last post in this thread and as  new DJI Mavic Mini user, I still experience this issue. I have reached 0999 at the image/video counter, and my device started counting from 0001. It is very annoying and unless I rename all the files, which I don't intend to do, it will give a headache in the work I do. If we have a solution for this issue, DJI please advise.
Thanks!

The solution is simple.
Don't dump all your image files in the same folder.
Even if DJI used the sensible method of allowing the file number to go to 10000, you would still have problems if you still dump everything into the fame folder.
2020-6-1
Use props
allitadiyahoo.com
lvl.2

Philippines

has this been re-solved? The numbering of the video file continuously counting even when you've formatted the SD card?
2020-9-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

allitadiyahoo.com Posted at 9-22 20:04
has this been re-solved? The numbering of the video file continuously counting even when you've formatted the SD card?

Which app does your drone use?
If you fly with DJI Go4, you can set the File Index Mode to Reset or Continuous.
If you fly with DJI Fly (Mini or Air 2) your are stuck.
2020-9-22
Use props
Daboy
lvl.2

Philippines

Labroides Posted at 9-22 20:15
Which app does your drone use?
If you fly with DJI Go4, you can set the File Index Mode to Reset or Continuous.

Thanks for the reply... I'm using Dji Go 4 app on my Spark. but i don't see the RESET and/or CONTINUOS in the camera settings or in any other settings on the Go 4 app.
2020-9-22
Use props
Daboy
lvl.2

Philippines

...And even if I use a different SD card on my Spark. It just continue the Video file name from I left off. It just doesn't go back to 0001.
2020-9-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Daboy Posted at 9-22 20:24
Thanks for the reply... I'm using Dji Go 4 app on my Spark. but i don't see the RESET and/or CONTINUOS in the camera settings or in any other settings on the Go 4 app.

I don't have a Spark to see if it's any different but here's where you set the File Index Mode in the other drones that use DJI Go4

FIM.jpg
2020-9-22
Use props
Daboy
lvl.2

Philippines

Labroides Posted at 9-22 20:58
I don't have a Spark to see if it's any different but here's where you set the File Index Mode in the other drones that use DJI Go4

Unfortunately, mine is different... This is what I see on the camera settings of my Go 4 app when I connect my Spark.

2020-9-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Daboy Posted at 9-22 21:28
Unfortunately, mine is different... This is what I see on the camera settings of my Go 4 app when I connect my Spark.

It looks like one of the features that the Spark just doesn't have.
2020-9-22
Use props
Daboy
lvl.2

Philippines

Labroides Posted at 9-22 23:19
It looks like one of the features that the Spark just doesn't have.

Weird, huh! Actually i have two Sparks. My other Spark always go back to file0001.mp4 whenever i try to format its SD card. But this one always continue to count from where i left off. I also have a Phantom 3 Standard and the same with my other Spark. It resets to file0001.mp4 whenever i tried to format its SD card, too. Does Dji ship same units with different settings just like my 2 Sparks? I wonder...
2020-9-22
Use props
sic-o
lvl.1

Latvia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-23 09:06

But I use DJI Fly app. Do I need to install a separate app to fix the issue?
2020-10-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sic-o Posted at 10-25 04:09
But I use DJI Fly app. Do I need to install a separate app to fix the issue?

The Fly app is missing several features that the Go app has.
The ability to use continuous file mode is one of those things.
There is no separate app that can "fix" that.
2020-10-25
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

FYI:  For those folks that worry about filename clashes.  I use Adobe Lightroom to manage all my photos/videos.  One feature of the import module is how to handle the file names.  You can leave them alone, rename them based on a "theme".  Sample themes are:
CustomName - Original File Number
CustomName - Sequence
CustomName (x of y)
ShootName - Original File Number
ShootName - Sequence
etc.
At the time of import you can input the ShootName.  For example - "Valley Village" which would name the files Valley Village - 0011, Valley Village - 0012 when using the ShootName - Sequence theme.  Sequence is maintained internal to LR and will roll over at 9999.  But if you are organizing your files by project, that should never be a problem.

Anyway, this doesn't help those not using Light Room, but I'm sure there are other applications out there that provide similar functionality.
2021-7-8
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

WHEN I EDIT A POST THERE IS NO "POST REPLY" BUTTON.  So I have to post another one.

p.s.  BTW, the cost of lightroom (with photoshop) is less than the cost of a couple coffees at Starbucks!  $9.99 / month.
2021-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules