Video picture breakup / lag on android devices
4658 15 2018-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mickr1969
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'm having issues with picture breakup and lag with the mavic pro.

I've only had the mavic pro about a week, and the first two flights or so were great.

The problem started a few days ago. The video picture kept breaking up / going pixilated.

I'm using a Galaxy S5 phone, which is on the "approved" list.
Basically the drone is unusable in it's present state.

I've tried a using the cable in the side of the controller, and even the charging cable plugged in the bottom of the controller and into the phone. Just in case it was a cable issue.

I even tried rolling back software and found that 4.2.16 was slightly better although still gave picture breakup / lag issues.

So I thought it could my an issue with my phone, so I also tried on a 7" Fire HD android tablet and I get the same breakup (yes I know its not on the approve list), althought it was better when I tried 4.1.15 and didn't get much breakup at all.

So to sum up I've tried two different USB leads, 3 different versions of software, and two different android devices.

I then tried using the wifes iphone and it worked perfectly, no lag, no breakup.

To me it seems to be definitely a problem with android the DJI software, I've also seen a number of other posts with similar issues.
Will there be a fix?

2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues with video and picture problems using your Samsung S5, may we know if you have tried to uninstalled and reinstalled the app? Also kindly check if the Samsung S5 has an android update.
2018-6-23
Use props
mickr1969
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Thanks for the reply.

The S5 is updated to the latest version (that Samsung released for the S5).
I uninstalled the app (4.2.20) and then installed 4.2.16 after I was having issues as stated in the my previous post. I guess that classes as re-installing the app?

I also tried killing all other active applications, restarting the phone, turning off wifi and bluetooth off on the phone in case that caused any kind of interference.
I used to work in computer hardware / software support, down to quite a technical level, so basically I tried all of the things I could think of that could affect it.

The problem still persists on the other devices I tested, and those were reset back to factory defaults, and the only application that was installed was DJI GO 4 (4.2.20)
2018-6-23
Use props
mickr1969
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've actually just tried another android device too (Google Nexus 10 tablet) which the image breaks up as soon as you take off.
2018-6-23
Use props
ITALY
New
Israel

Hi everyone,

The same lagging issue in the video image transmission is happening to me too as soon as I start the flight.
This happens on several Android devices, some are present within the DJI compatible device list and some are not (I have tried several pretty hardcore devices such as the OnePlus 5T etc.).
This issue also happens to a lot of my friends and I recently see more and more posts over the same issue in many social networks such as Facebook with various DJI drones but all are using the same APP (DJI GO 4).
Actually this is the only reason I signed in to this Forum... this specific issue.

I have seen many attempts and suggestions to try and fix it such as:
Changing to an Apple device (not all of them work but actually some Apple devices do fix this issue. Android users are losing and it’s not fair).
Remove APP permissions such as data storage access (didn’t work for me).
Turn Wi-Fi and BT off - of course.
Close all apps in the background (Hibernate).
Turn on Flight Mode.
Downgrade DJI GO 4 app to 4.2.16 or below (helped some).
Download .apk file and install a "thin" version of the DJI app for your specific drone which doesn’t include all the Mavic Air updates and the rest of the drones (which most believe that is the cause for the lags).
Changing the cable / USB port (not helping).
Go to an "interference clean area" (BS).
Stop Caching (didn’t help).

Bottom line: Nothing worked to fix it but all pilots have 1 thing in common - all are using the same app !

So Dji engineers, developers, app designers, testers managers etc....
Please come up with a fast and clean solution for this defect because we are all losing from this issue - YOU AND US. All of us...
Thanks.
-R.
2018-6-24
Use props
mickr1969
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Just an update. I got an iphone 5s from my daughter, and loaded it up with the DJI GO 4 (latest version from the app store) and had one of the longest flights so far. All worked perfectly.

So, it's not the drone or the remote.

It's not the phone or the cables (as I've tried other devices too with the same issue)

It has to be an android software problem. Please rectify this problem DJI !

Mick
2018-6-24
Use props
dvarapala
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94347 ft
United States

I, too, had this issue with v4.2.20 of the Go 4 app. Rolling back to v4.2.14 seems to have solved it for the most part. If you have a copy of Litchi it also works correctly.

This isn't the first time I've been stung by a buggy version of Go 4. Last year when I bought my Spark the latest (at that time) version of Go 4 could not update the firmware in the remote controller. I had to roll the app back to an earlier version in order to update. I really wish DJI would make older versions of Go 4, firmware, etc. available on their web site. At least that way we wouldn't have to resort to some untrusted third party web site to get a working version of the Go 4 app.
2018-6-26
Use props
fansa19635bc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57372 ft

Same for me with tablet. Great first flight. Rubbish unflyable since. Help
2018-6-27
Use props
lsngregg
New
Flight distance : 30407 ft
United States

Holy crap this is unthinkable. I too am only on the forums because Between a Nexus 5X and 6P, I am getting little to no video signal but the controls are perfectly responsive. I've tried different cables and the 5X only has the DJI app installed on it... still garbage video signal. This is nuts. Following this thread and hoping to see some results soon.
2018-6-27
Use props
sawkadogg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46585 ft

Galaxy Note 4 here, also on the "approved" devices list. Have flown my Mavic many times last year. Earlier this year, get the bird out, update all firmware that was "needed," and proceeded to fly. Terrible image transmission using the EXACT same phone as last year. Uninstall/reinstall Go4 app, same issue. The pixelation is terrible. It defeats the purpose of spending over $1000 for a drone if you can't fly it. Now, it just sits in the case awaiting a solution. Can we get a fix to this, please, so I can fly my drone?!?
2018-7-21
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

sawkadogg Posted at 2018-7-21 10:43
Galaxy Note 4 here, also on the "approved" devices list. Have flown my Mavic many times last year. Earlier this year, get the bird out, update all firmware that was "needed," and proceeded to fly. Terrible image transmission using the EXACT same phone as last year. Uninstall/reinstall Go4 app, same issue. The pixelation is terrible. It defeats the purpose of spending over $1000 for a drone if you can't fly it. Now, it just sits in the case awaiting a solution. Can we get a fix to this, please, so I can fly my drone?!?

Any recent updates from Samsung. I'd find doubtful since even my Note 4 has not had an official Android update from them in quite a while.
2018-7-21
Use props
FrequentC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158770 ft
United States

Downgrade DJI GO 4 app to 4.2.16
And be sure to review the current app in the Google Play store to pressure DJI to fix the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4
2018-7-22
Use props
Larry L.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9954 ft
United States

FrequentC Posted at 2018-7-22 12:03
Downgrade DJI GO 4 app to 4.2.16
And be sure to review the current app in the Google Play store to pressure DJI to fix the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4

I have had similar issues with a number of Android devices, some on their list and some not, and it sucks. It is also very unfair as has been pointed out. There are more Android devices in the world than Apple so it also does not make much sense in terms of customer base.
I suggest trying Litchi or Drone Deploy as your flight control/planner. I have had much better luck with them over a number of devices. Beware though that sometimes it is the device itself if it does not have enough horsepower. Two gigs of RAM and a quad core processor seem to be the minimum but I am  not  an authority on that area.
Good luck. I will definitely keep following this thread.
2018-7-22
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Larry L. Posted at 2018-7-22 13:26
I have had similar issues with a number of Android devices, some on their list and some not, and it sucks. It is also very unfair as has been pointed out. There are more Android devices in the world than Apple so it also does not make much sense in terms of customer base.
I suggest trying Litchi or Drone Deploy as your flight control/planner. I have had much better luck with them over a number of devices. Beware though that sometimes it is the device itself if it does not have enough horsepower. Two gigs of RAM and a quad core processor seem to be the minimum but I am  not  an authority on that area.
Good luck. I will definitely keep following this thread.

Did some tests today on several Android devices

Note 8- Apps most disabled, some hibernation, the Go4 App was using about 640M Ram. Total ram use to the device was about 2.2G. Note 8 has 6G ram, so it handles GO pretty easily.

S3 820 tablet- Similar to above, yet Go was using about 680M Ram and the rest was at about 1.2G, so less than 2G ram being used. 4G Ram device

S8- Go usage was about 650M and device required 1.3G coming just about 1.9G. Another device with ample hardware. 4G ram.

Nvidia Shield- Go used 665M, device apps os used 900M. Right around 1.6G total. 2G ram device.

Rooted (android 6)  Iconia Tab A 10- Go used 670M ram, device used 390M ram. 2G Tablet

Litchi was also used, and averaged about 170M Ram active on most of these devices. Lichi uses a ton less ram which is why less are having issues with feed and disconnects.
2018-7-22
Use props
smartminion.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 472 ft

** SOLUTION ** (at least for me)

I was having the exact issues on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S

Tried a whole bunch of things per google/forums/youtube.

Solution turned out to be simple.  Change the video format to 2.7k @ 30fps.

I had done this using another device and as soon as I plugged it back into the Galaxy Tab S video was fixed.

Good luck all...
2018-8-24
Use props
djiuser_IgBwZXYP4pK1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

smartminion. Posted at 2018-8-24 10:44
** SOLUTION ** (at least for me)

I was having the exact issues on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S

Thanks.  WIll try that.  My solution was to use an iPad Mini2 over a OnePlus5 but it shouldn't have made a difference.
2019-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules