Pre flight checklist / flight log
13444 16 2015-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CHRISWILLIAMS29
lvl.2

United States

Has anyone seen the Adam and Jamie tested video of Adam showing his Inspire gear? Is so , he showed a pre flight checklist that he said he would post later. I can not find it anywhere and would love to get a copy. Also he mentioned that later down the line he was sure that you would need flight hours logged to be certified to fly. Does anyone know of a good flight log program or even just a little notebook?
2015-5-16
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Your flight log data is already being recorded - look in your mobile device and snoop around for a DJI folder. On the android version there's a folder identified as pilot logs. There are procedures to convert that data into CSV files and read them in Excel.

Also, there are .dat files available via the Flight Data Mode - but I don't know that anyone yet has the capability to actually read and/or manipulate those files.

On the DJI Pilot app itself, you can see pilot logs via the User Center. You can also see the flight path on each individual flight.
2015-5-17
Use props
CHRISWILLIAMS29
lvl.2

United States

Ok that's perfect, I have not received mine yet . Still waiting on delivery. What about a pre/post  flight checklist. Adam savage had one that looked to be very thorough.
2015-5-17
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Adam Savage checklist is far from a real checklist.
After 2 or 3 flights, I decided to make my own which I upgraded after each flight.
Here is it : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9600059/P3%20Checklist.pdf
2015-5-17
Use props
CHRISWILLIAMS29
lvl.2

United States

Thank you, that's exactly what I've been looking for!  Do u keep a copy in your case?
2015-5-17
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Yes I made a laminated version always with me.
Check here how it looks : http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=15115
2015-5-17
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-18 00:29
Adam Savage checklist is far from a real checklist.
After 2 or 3 flights, I decided to make my own w ...

Looks good. Turning off WiFi and Bluetooth on the iPad - I didn't think of that. Also did not have any problems duing my 38 flights with the P3 so far that might relate to WiFi or BT being on.

It is also a good idea to do a post-flight check - to see if everything looks good, props look good (maybe clean with a damp cloth or paper towel for bug-splatter). Because I had a motor that felt a little different than the others on my P2V+ I also did a temperature measurement of the motors with one of those "laser" thermometers, to see if any motors got particularly warm. Never detected any issues, but there was a bit of a temperature difference (nothing alarming). This can also be done by touch - feeling the motors - if they are hot, that might be a sign something is wrong. This is (also) not a problem on my P3Pro.

@Chris
Honestly you ought to be able to learn it by heart after a few training-flights. But keeping it in the flightcase is an excellent idea.

In general I'd just take my time to learn your new Phantom when you get it. Don't rush it. And watch a bunch of YouTube videos of people showing how to do it the first time (that almost sounds dirty...)

Frankly I always suggest to people without RC-experience (or quadcopter-experience) to buy a cheap toy-quadcopter to train on before risking your new shiny Phantom 3 flying camera. I got a cheap Hubsan X4 and learned to fly that before getting the P2V+. It will boost your confidence. And since the P3 is easier to fly than the Hubsan, you will quickly feel confident.

In any case - baby steps is the way to go to avoid any bad experiences. Phantoms are not difficult to fly - but it still takes training. And new pilots can get overwhelmed or confused - and might suddenly fly into something. And then it might get wrecked or the Gimbal damaged. It just makes me sad when that happens to new Phantom owners. It can be avoided if you take your time.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask and I or others in the community will surely try to help or give advice.
-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-17
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Wifi and BT enabled on the tablet should not be a problem but it takes me 5 seconds to disable this.
The goal of a checklist is not to have it in your memory but read it at each flight, even after 1000 flight... this was one of the lesson from my instructor when I was learning to fly several years ago : ALWAYS read the checklist even if you know it !
Going through a checklist is mandatory in aviation even for pilots with thousands hours flight time.

Phantoms are not difficult to fly... and a Cessna 150 is even more easy to fly (because you are in the aircraft and you can sense the aircraft reactions). I flew a B737 at the Sabena flight academy and it was not more difficult than flying a Cessna... just heavier. The difference comes when problems occur.
Another big difference is all the mandatory checks for an aircraft (engine, structure, landing gear radiography, ...). This is not the case for a Phantom and you have to trust what DJI has done.
I had some RC model experience before buying my Phantom 3 so the first flights I gently learned how to setup everything (especially EXP curves and gain). So the challenge for me is to trust this tool... maybe I should stop reading forums about crashes and flyaways ;)

2015-5-17
Use props
CHRISWILLIAMS29
lvl.2

United States

Very helpful! I bought a little quad about a month ago and fill very comfortable flying for the 8 minutes the battery last for ., what does the wifi and BT do? I have watched hours of you tube tutorials and but don't really know the lingo so it doesn't make since to me yet..
2015-5-17
Use props
Jason Schiffner
lvl.1

United States

I've made a checklist for the I1, but I think it should also work extremely well for the P3. I will likely get a P3 and I'll just keep using the checklist. I went with a web based checklist, that way there are links for your preflight planning. The only downside is that it might not load again after you switch to airplane mode. http://www.dronefrontier.com/inspire1checklist/
2015-6-13
Use props
roadeo
New

United States

Jason Schiffner Posted at 2015-6-13 16:54
I've made a checklist for the I1, but I think it should also work extremely well for the P3. I will  ...

I love the "shirt"
Do they make one for the Phantom 3 Pro?
2016-8-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Jason Schiffner Posted at 2015-6-13 15:54
I've made a checklist for the I1, but I think it should also work extremely well for the P3. I will  ...

I like the idea of a checklist, but to me this looks a little bit lengthy. Just my thoughts. I agree it is very through, but I won't want to go down that list every time.
Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on your parade here. I think maybe a shortened version with some basics would be beneficial. Thanks for sharing. I might take your checklist and alter it a bit to suit myself.
2016-8-24
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

The checklist I use is at the below link.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-61589-1-1.html

I hope it helps.
2016-8-29
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

To throw another one out there, here is the checklist we use
2016-8-29
Use props
nagoyamex
lvl.1

Japan

@chriswillia     Thank you for your sharing, (check list)
2016-8-29
Use props
nagoyamex
lvl.1

Japan

To fly a P4 its all about mathematics, optically  and arithmetic to fly accurately need practice. Best is not to buy a cheap drone, could be better to  return to basic mathematics, observe, calculate be responsible.
2016-9-3
Use props
dronerider
New

United States

Here is the check list I use its has a before you leave, before you fly, and before you go home section so you don't forget anything before you leave the house.
2017-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules