Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
juzzle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 356053 ft
Australia

Hi all,

Spark newbie here - be gentle

I have an Android phone and a new Spark Combo - I have successfully patched the firmware and flown it on wi-fi

I have purchased a Micro-USB B to Micro-USB B type connector in order to, what I believe, operate the aircraft as an OTG cable.

As you can see from the photo, it has a host end, which I connected to the DJI RC Micro-USB AB port (apparently this port can take Micro-USB A and Micro-USB B plugs)

So this is what happens when I attempt to fly:

• I start my RC,
  • I start my Spark - it pairs (as indicated by the green light on the RC)
  • I start the App
  • I plug my cable into the phone (non host end)
  • I plug my cable into the RC - the phone beeps acknowledging the connection
  • Result - I do not get the "Start Flight" option!

The status reads "RC Connected" (wifi is OFF) AND "Enter Device >" - pressing the latter gives me:

"Activate the Aircraft" (it has been),
"Connect to the Aircraft" or
"Enter Camera View"

Choosing "Connect to the Aircraft" only gives me these choices for "Choose Connection Method":

"Airfraft Combo" (Connect to Spark Combo's (Wi-Fi) aircraft and RC)"
"Aircraft (Without RC)"

So, my questions:

• Am I doing something wrong?, or
  • Is my cable somehow incorrect?

Many thanks in advance
Justin

2018-6-23
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3146 ft
United States

Try not starting the app. Your sequence is correct but I think you need to just have the phone turned on but do not launch DJI app. Once you plug the cable in you should get a popup message asking to allow data usage or camera or something similar. The 2nd choice will be charge only. Do not select the charge only as it will not pass data. IT should work. You should also see when the cable is properly connected the phone should indicate it is charging.
2018-6-23
Use props
juzzle
lvl.1
Australia

@BMelody - right you are - many thanks!

Upon plugging in the cable and NOT starting the NOT starting the app, I got this prompt - I chose OKAY and whamo! - I got the "Go Fly" option

Thank you so much!

2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. Sorry for this trouble. You forget to link the remote controller to your aircraft. You may watch the video tutorial below on how to link the remote controller.

2018-6-23
Use props
juzzle
lvl.1
Australia

@DJI Natalia - Hi there, unfortunately you missed the point of my post - which was to link using a cable - that video (which is very outdated  BTW) only shows how to connect the phone and RC using wifi (and flying without a phone).
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

juzzle Posted at 2018-6-23 17:14
@DJI Natalia - Hi there, unfortunately you missed the point of my post - which was to link using a cable - that video (which is very outdated  BTW) only shows how to connect the phone and RC using wifi (and flying without a phone).

Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue, however, as of the moment this OTG is not supported for you to connect your phone. We are currently recommending a Wi-Fi connection between phone and RC. Thanks for understanding.
2018-6-24
Use props
juzzle
lvl.1
Australia

@DJI Tony - in that case, I will use Wifi, but would you please explain? Everyone out there recommends the use of OTG cables and indeed, you provide ports and an app which supports connection via this method.

Why would it not be supported?
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

juzzle Posted at 2018-6-24 18:25
@DJI Tony - in that case, I will use Wifi, but would you please explain? Everyone out there recommends the use of OTG cables and indeed, you provide ports and an app which supports connection via this method.

Juzzle the port was designed for DJI Goggles.

2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

As of the moment, the OTG cable is not yet optimized when it terms of connecting your phone or crystal sky to the remote controller, however, regarding with the port on your remote controller, you'll be needing to use it if you're going to connect your DJI Goggles to your remote controller like what DMX mention.
2018-6-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, Kindly check this thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-157768-1-1.html for updates about using OTG cable on spark using  Android device.
2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules