Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad Mini 2 - Still viable option?
12Next >
12036 42 2018-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen many threads on which tablet is best and so on.  Here is my direct and specific question:
After all of the recent updates with the app, is the iPad Mini 2 still a good tablet to use for flying my Mavic Air?

I'm looking to pick up a refurbished one and the difference in price for a mini2 and a mini4 is $110.  Keep in mind that flying is going to be the only use for this tablet.

It won't have any other apps or uses.
2018-6-24
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Would be interesting to see if it is still up to the task after these recent updates because we know the updates have done a number on especially android devices making them unusable.  I have not heard any complaints from the mini2 though.  Shall wait and see here.  
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, unfortunately the said Ipad mini 2 is not supported to run the app.  Below is the list of compatible phones.

2018-6-24
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-24 09:10
Would be interesting to see if it is still up to the task after these recent updates because we know the updates have done a number on especially android devices making them unusable.  I have not heard any complaints from the mini2 though.  Shall wait and see here.

Yep... that's why i was asking.  I didn't even see that it has been dropped from the compatibility list.
I can get an ipad Air2 for <$300, but i'm not sure if i want the full 9.7 inches.  I think that the mini is a better form factor.
2018-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I still use an iPad 2 with my phantom 4 it works fine pretty old and very heavy for mavic controller, iPad mini is the best option for mavic air, unless you want a dedicated crystalsky.
But although off the list it still works well for me on that craft. Mind you I’m on an older FW, haven’t updated this one in over a year.
2018-6-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

If it were me, (and having extra $110); I would get Mini-4.  Thinking ahead that load put on Smartdevices by future GO-4 apps is only going to get worse.
2018-6-24
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-24 10:44
If it were me, (and having extra $110); I would get Mini-4.  Thinking ahead that load put on Smartdevices by future GO-4 apps is only going to get worse.

that's kinda what i'm thinking...  don't really want to, but i may have to spend the money.  OR save it and invest in a crystal sky later.  Much Later
2018-6-24
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Hi 3D , I still use the I pad Air 2,,,,,, 9.5 " of viewing pleasure, and I love it for the mavic pro and Autopilot missions. If I were you, I would get the ipad mini4 if you want to keep things smaller. The mini2 might seem like a good deal but the processor speed will probably leave your pad overheated and pixilated trying to run the latest go4 app. Just my 2 cents on the IOS devices.  Happy flying and I hope you get your MA back soon from DJI repair!
2018-6-24
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bill B Posted at 2018-6-24 17:46
Hi 3D , I still use the I pad Air 2,,,,,, 9.5 " of viewing pleasure, and I love it for the mavic pro and Autopilot missions. If I were you, I would get the ipad mini4 if you want to keep things smaller. The mini2 might seem like a good deal but the processor speed will probably leave your pad overheated and pixilated trying to run the latest go4 app. Just my 2 cents on the IOS devices.  Happy flying and I hope you get your MA back soon from DJI repair!

Thanks.  Still trying to decide.  The Mini 2 is out.  I'm trying to decide if i want to spend the extra 110 now, or save it and put it toward a crystal sky later on.  My current dedicated mobile device is working fine, except in the sun.  i really just wanted a little larger screen.

My MA should be back near the end of next week.  
2018-6-24
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Good to hear that the MA will be back to you soon. If you go with Crystal sky you'll have to fill me in on how it works. Sounds good but I don't know anything about it.
2018-6-24
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bill B Posted at 2018-6-24 18:08
Good to hear that the MA will be back to you soon. If you go with Crystal sky you'll have to fill me in on how it works. Sounds good but I don't know anything about it.

It will be a minute before i go for crystal sky.  $700 is a stretch from the 220 I was ready to pay for the ipad.  
2018-6-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don’t commonly use my iPad mini 2 anymore but it’s usable!  Just don’t cache video.. disable that and should be solid.

My iPad mini 2 is on iOS 12 beta 2 (currently) and I think it handles the app just fine.

Only issue is display is not laminated to the glass, so sub glare and bright light can make it difficult to use outside.  
2018-6-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. I see that you've made the call to Not run with the iPad Mini 2, and I've got to agree with you. A couple of others here say that DJI GO 4 still runs OK on it, but that's Definitely Not my experience. I've tested a number of iPad platforms and have come to the conclusion that you need a minimum of the A8X CPU to run GO 4 OK. The bloated app's decoding demands on the CPU is too great now to guarantee a clean display.

I moved my Mini 2 on sometime ago and now have the Air 2. I haven't looked back.
2018-6-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I found the Mini 4 to be perfect on my P4P RC. Will also fit in the MA controller
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-6-24 19:50
Hi. I see that you've made the call to Not run with the iPad Mini 2, and I've got to agree with you. A couple of others here say that DJI GO 4 still runs OK on it, but that's Definitely Not my experience. I've tested a number of iPad platforms and have come to the conclusion that you need a minimum of the A8X CPU to run GO 4 OK. The bloated app's decoding demands on the CPU is too great now to guarantee a clean display.

I moved my Mini 2 on sometime ago and now have the Air 2. I haven't looked back.

how awkward is it to have a ~10 inch tablet on top of your controller?
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-25 00:09
I found the Mini 4 to be perfect on my P4P RC. Will also fit in the MA controller

Thanks.  I already have a tablet holder for the controller, but will  probably change it when I get whatever tablet i finally decide to go with.
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-6-25 02:31
Thanks.  I already have a tablet holder for the controller, but will  probably change it when I get whatever tablet i finally decide to go with.

Even better
2018-6-25
Use props
WilleyMunda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12966 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-6-24 09:13
Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, unfortunately the said Ipad mini 2 is not supported to run the app.  Below is the list of compatible phones.

[view_image]

mistake in posting
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

what is the mistake?
2018-6-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

3-D Posted at 2018-6-25 03:58
what is the mistake?

I still use my iPad mini two and I am on the latest Dji go4 update and latest firmware.
No issues at all.
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-6-25 04:55
I still use my iPad mini two and I am on the latest Dji go4 update and latest firmware.
No issues at all.

Thanks Woe.  Do you cache your video on the device?
2018-6-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

3-D Posted at 2018-6-25 05:23
Thanks Woe.  Do you cache your video on the device?

Yes. but often clear it out.
I also only keep 30 days of flight records
only because it's 16g.
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-6-25 06:01
Yes. but often clear it out.
I also only keep 30 days of flight records
only because it's 16g.

ok.  I do that anyway with my current device and I have a 32GB card in it to cache.  

Thanks!
2018-6-25
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-6-24 09:13

[view_image]

Administrator Gamora.....  Doesn't sound right... I just checked the Go4 App v. 4.2.21.....   [ edit... as of 06/25/2018 ]
You'd better change your documentation on the Apple Store App description.  It still lists the iPad Mini 2 (both WiFi and Cellular) as "Compatible" .... Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 10.01.25 AM.png
2018-6-25
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-24 09:28
Yep... that's why i was asking.  I didn't even see that it has been dropped from the compatibility list.
I can get an ipad Air2 for

See my post #24
2018-6-25
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-6-25 04:55
I still use my iPad mini two and I am on the latest Dji go4 update and latest firmware.
No issues at all.

Agree.... see  my reply to DJI Administrator (Support)  post #24.  Version 4.2.21 compatibility description shows compatibility all the way back to iOS 9.0 AND iPhone 5s.... AND the iPOD touch gen 6 !!!
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ah dang.  

ok.  thanks...
2018-6-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

3-D Posted at 2018-6-25 02:29
how awkward is it to have a ~10 inch tablet on top of your controller?

A 9.7" screen is fine on my P4P controller, although I admit to not using it with my MA controller - I've yet to buy the adapter plate, so use my iPhone 7 for that. That being said, it's the same version of GO 4 running on both platforms.

But it's interesting to see many here saying that the app runs fine on their Mini 2. It's great to hear, but there's as many saying that it doesn't (like me). I don't believe that caching is the issue, as the video feed still needs to be generated for display. But, regardless, why take the risk if you're making a buying decision?
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-6-25 15:40
A 9.7" screen is fine on my P4P controller, although I admit to not using it with my MA controller - I've yet to buy the adapter plate, so use my iPhone 7 for that. That being said, it's the same version of GO 4 running on both platforms.

But it's interesting to see many here saying that the app runs fine on their Mini 2. It's great to hear, but there's as many saying that it doesn't (like me). I don't believe that caching is the issue, as the video feed still needs to be generated for display. But, regardless, why take the risk if you're making a buying decision?

My question about using the 9.7 inch is really about how it will feel attached to the mavic controller.  I'm not confident in that being an everyday solution for me.
And you're right.  Mixed results doesn't give me a level of confidence to make that purchase.
2018-6-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

3-D Posted at 2018-6-25 06:46
ok.  I do that anyway with my current device and I have a 32GB card in it to cache.  

Thanks!

No problem.
2018-6-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-25 17:16
My question about using the 9.7 inch is really about how it will feel attached to the mavic controller.  I'm not confident in that being an everyday solution for me.
And you're right.  Mixed results doesn't give me a level of confidence to make that purchase.

its awkward.  i tried it with my GF's iPad air 2..3..9000...or ..idk what apple calls it to be honest.. its top heavy and awkward on the smaller MA/MP/Spark controllers.    not as awkward as using iPad pro 12 inch however, that's unwieldy as all hell, but fun..

in term of do i recommend ipad mini 2.   no, but not because of lacking performance, it isn't, specially clean install no background tasks and just drone apps, perfectly usable.

here is 2 reasons why i say no to the mini 2:

1. screen, this is by far the biggest issue i have encountered with the mini 2.. even if not direct sun light, just bright sky can make it hard to see exactly. this is because the mini 2 uses non laminated display so there is a little gap between the glass and the LCD which means terrible in outdoors..

2. battery life, not terrible definitely will outlast flying sessions, but compared to other ipad options, its fairly weak life because how hard dji go 4 app is hammering resources nearly pegging out your CPU/GPU.  this also means several hours on the plug if you drain it down..  

i recommend mini 4 or ipad air.. 2 3 4 5 whatever they are on now, just avoid the non laminated new ipad..non air...?  (plz help me...apple u suck at naming)
2018-6-25
Use props
3-D
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-25 18:05
its awkward.  i tried it with my GF's iPad air 2..3..9000...or ..idk what apple calls it to be honest.. its top heavy and awkward on the smaller MA/MP/Spark controllers.    not as awkward as using iPad pro 12 inch however, that's unwieldy as all hell, but fun..

in term of do i recommend ipad mini 2.   no, but not because of lacking performance, it isn't, specially clean install no background tasks and just drone apps, perfectly usable.

Thanks HFTB.  I appreciate that.  the brightness is a definite factor for me.  I've got a sunhood for my samsung note now, and it's just not enough.  I find myself looking for shade anytime i fly, which normally has me near a structure or a tree.  Neither place is awesome for signal continuity.
2018-6-25
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-25 18:27
Thanks HFTB.  I appreciate that.  the brightness is a definite factor for me.  I've got a sunhood for my samsung note now, and it's just not enough.  I find myself looking for shade anytime i fly, which normally has me near a structure or a tree.  Neither place is awesome for signal continuity.

To add some thought to HFTB's helpful comments.... Caused me to think about the brightness issue.  Until about two weeks ago I used a Mini 2.  I had added a hood, which helped some ( I use a MavMount to hold it up, and closer to my line of sight).  I noticed that my sunglasses were really affecting the view of the screen, so I switched to my cycling glasses which have a graded tint.  

The upper half of the lenses are darker, and gradually get lighter and more to the amber spectrum on the lower half.  That cuts the glare coming in, but not blocking the view of the screen when glancing down.  Now that I've switched to the Mini 4 (with the noticeably brighter screen), it's really better.  

I suppose any tint graded sunglasses (non polarized) would work the same.  The only downside of the brighter screen is that the battery works harder. :-)  BTW, I tried an iPad Air 2 using the MavMount and found it just too clumsy.  While it was larger, I didn't feel it provided any flight benefit over the smaller Mini 4...

2018-6-25
Use props
djiuser_ItKlEICh8ydX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1076102 ft

I just came across this while trying to figure out why my remote has been disconnecting from the aircraft pretty much every time I have flown since Saturday.  I have a ipad mini 2. I literally just bought it used on ebay a week ago.
2018-6-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_ItKlEICh8ydX Posted at 2018-6-25 19:34
I just came across this while trying to figure out why my remote has been disconnecting from the aircraft pretty much every time I have flown since Saturday.  I have a ipad mini 2. I literally just bought it used on ebay a week ago.

Hi. Sorry to hear, but expected. But just to make sure we're on the same page - an under-powered CPU would result in the unit heating up (CPU working hard) and an inability to render the flight video reliably with the GO app, if at all. The latter is observed as video delays, glitches, or occasional green screens. That is Not necessarily the same as signal disconnect, which is typically caused by signal interference or degradation (caused typically by distance or objects).
The first would not trigger a RTH, whereas the second should.
2018-6-25
Use props
crashking
lvl.1

I use an Ipad Mini2 and have never had a problem
2018-7-2
Use props
ZeldaZ
New

China

iPad mini generations are designed for trips and convenient, easy use. Enough for my daily needs. As a new one do not cost too much, I would not choose a refurbished one.
2018-12-16
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used my Mini  2 a few times and had too many crashes and issues.  Video was jumpy at best.  I later went with  a Mini 4 and that works great.
2018-12-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 12-17 06:21
I used my Mini  2 a few times and had too many crashes and issues.  Video was jumpy at best.  I later went with  a Mini 4 and that works great.

i dont have that issue and its rocking iOS 12, but then again i have nothing on my Pad mini 2 other than directly drone related.    i imagine having social media apps and stuff running in the background would chew up a lot of CPU on a aging device, eve having it tend to messaging and email can causeit to get jumpy with performance... with a CPU/GPU from 2013 out of the iPhone 5S and repurposed for pushing over double the pixels and larger apps on a little iPad, dont think the iPad mini 2 is long for this world of use with DJI Go...

my experience the iPad mini 2 is mostly hampered by screen brightness and reflectivity.  the air gap between the LCD can make it hard to see...and direct sunlight...forget it..   
2018-12-17
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Captain
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

To echo the above I use an iPad Mini 2 with my Mavic 2 Zoom with no issues.

It's all I use the iPad for, on the latest iOS and I don't cache video locally (it's a 16GB model). I see no performance or other issues - but if I were buying today I'd probably spend the extra to get something that would work longer. At some point the Mini 2 really will be too old to keep up.
2018-12-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules