3909 22 2018-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingFish82
First Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

On this trip to Medellin, Colombia. Took the opportunity to Film an inconic Landmark nearby called "La Piedra del Peñol"  Tips to for international travel and what i found useful during this trip follow the video.

Hope you enjoy the Edit and shots! (Video Music is copyright Free)

Drones have become such a great tool for capturing amazing perspectives and taking photography to new hights ..literally.. unfortunately the speed at which drones have spread around the world does not match the level of acceptance from all Nations. I have experienced nations where drones are completely illegal when entering the county, like Cuba and Nicaragua to name a few. I have prepeared a brief set of actions I take before i travel abroad with my drone:
Check the local Laws: the first thing i do when i decide on a Country is to check their specific laws about Drones (if any), and try to get other peoples input on traveling to destinations they might have already visitded to get a take on their experience. Drone Forums and online communities are great for this as knowledge is broadly shared. Some countries prohibit the entrance of drones completely, so please be aware.

Check the local No-Fly zones: i tend to rely on Airmap and the DJI No Fly zones, as they tend to be the most up to date in terms of accuracy. you want to avoind any illegal flying, specially when flying as a tourist on a foreigh Country.

Understand distances: when traveling, it is not always easy to charge batteries on demand, understand how far and by which means you will be travelling to your end destination and plan accordingly in temrs of gear (how many fully charged batteries to bring).

Make sure your Drone has latest firmware before leaving home: making sure your drone firmware is up to date and doing a test flight before traveling gives you peace of mind.

After i check all of the above, its is a matter of planning your trip, organizing gear, making sure lipo batteries are stored in lipo battery travel cases to avoid issues, and taking these with you on your carry on luggage (its most airlines rules for lipo batteries) unless it exceeds the limits. (check with your carrier)

The Video and shots below are from a Place Called "La Piedra del Peñol" or El Peñol Rock, which is a granite rock monolith with stands tall next to the Guatape Dam in the Region of Antioquia, Colombia , South America. To get here you need to Fly to Medellin and drive for about 2 hours to El Peñol. Once there, It takes 740 steps up a narrow staircase (You can see on one of the pics) to get to its top. I flew the Drone from the top to capture its view from this unique angle.

Things to keep in mind if you plan to fly there is the weather. Weather changes quick, specially the wind, bringing the drone down for landing is a bit challenging because of the uplift winds generated by the rock (same phonomenom airplanes experience as turbulence when approaching mountaneous Regions when landing and takeoff). The way to approach the landing is to look for the leeward side of the rock and bring the drone in from that angle.

Another tip here is to use ND/PL Filters as you will do flying over water (DAM) so this helps cut the reflection and add contrast to your shots.

When taking shots of the Rock, to show its magnitude, you want to avoid having the cenith of the rock line up with the Horizon. You want to either have the Cenith (Top) of the rock be above the Horizon or Below the Horizon, this gives the Rock more sense of its true greatness and captures the eyes attention when looking at the shot.

PD: The Letters "G I" that you see painted on the rock are really an attempt from the Guatape Region To mark the Rock as theirs.. the I was really part of a  U. but they got stopped by the people from the neighboring town of El Peñol and it stayed like that.

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2018-6-24
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Very nice summary. Hopefully laws will indeed catch up.
2018-6-24
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Vlas Posted at 2018-6-24 14:36
Very nice summary. Hopefully laws will indeed catch up.

Thanks Vlas, Glad you Liked., and indeed hope the laws catch up for good and well sensed, cause nothing comes out of senseless laws! .. Have you traveled to any countries that prohibit or limit the use of drones?
2018-6-25
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

well done!

2018-6-25
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks DJ Dread! have you been to Medellin?

Cheers!
2018-6-26
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
United States

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-6-26 05:37
Thanks DJ Dread! have you been to Medellin?

Cheers!

nope. one day maybe..
2018-6-26
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-6-26 06:22
nope. one day maybe..

Highly recommended! specially Medellin, great City and very friendly people!
2018-6-27
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Romania

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-6-27 05:41
Highly recommended! specially Medellin, great City and very friendly people!

thanks for the recommendation!
2018-6-27
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are Welcome! Cheers!
2018-6-29
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

Nice pictures !
2018-6-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

wow... just wow That was amazing...
2018-6-30
Use props
Lucallessandro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303412 ft
Ireland

2018-7-1
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mountain Drone! Thanks for checking it out! Glad you liked! might be a interesting climb for you there since you like mountaineering and climbing ;)
2018-7-2
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

Oh yes, incredible rock to climb, it's sure !
2018-7-2
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jacksonnai Posted at 2018-6-30 23:07
wow... just wow That was amazing...

Thanks Jackson! appreciate the support, glad you liked this one! it had been a bucket list item for me to photograph from above, and finally had the chance to travel there and do it. Another great destination i would suggest for you!

Cheers!
2018-7-3
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-7-3 04:25
Thanks Jackson! appreciate the support, glad you liked this one! it had been a bucket list item for me to photograph from above, and finally had the chance to travel there and do it. Another great destination i would suggest for you!

Cheers!

you are welcome buddy, hope to travel there as well
2018-7-3
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nice shot man! where is this at  ?
2018-7-4
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mountaindrone Posted at 2018-7-2 07:54
Oh yes, incredible rock to climb, it's sure !

I've always had respect for climbers, they have a lot of patience and perseverance! it was first climbed in 1954.
2018-7-5
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jacksonnai Posted at 2018-7-3 04:39
you are welcome buddy, hope to travel there as well

hope you do! and when you do share what you capture!

Cheers!
2018-7-8
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-7-8 17:57
hope you do! and when you do share what you capture!

Cheers!

2018-7-9
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks all for the comments and great feedback! Much appreciated!
2018-7-15
Use props
Dexter.Zed
lvl.3

Philippines

woowwww  its so amazing spot to visit.....
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi, please check the email of the prize you won in"Now,it's Epic" in one day, or it will be understood as your forfeiture of this prize.
2018-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules