Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phone Drops RC WiFi connection on Spark power up
3028 20 2018-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CB01
Zimbabwe

Hi,
I bought my Spark in Dubai and it connected and flew fine.
I kept getting an message to update the firmware due to updated restricted zones and so I updated all firmware for the Spark and the RC.
I then came to africa and when the spark and the RC were both switched on my mobile did not find the the RC wifi.
I reset everything and it all worked.
I flew for two batteries then shut down and since then my phone will see the RC wifi and connect but as soon as the Spark is on and up the phone drops the connection and cannot see the RC wifi.
I have to either fly by phone only or RC only.

I have reset the Wifi and rebonded the RC and the Spark quite a few times.

Any suggestions?

2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thank you for reaching DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues with your DJI Spark. May we know the brand or make of your mobile device?
2018-6-24
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

Hi it is a Samsung S7 edge but I have tried a S8+ and an iPhone 6S
They all find the RC WiFi until the Spark is powered up, then the There is no WiFi at all.
2018-6-24
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
United Kingdom

CB01 Posted at 2018-6-24 12:00
Hi it is a Samsung S7 edge but I have tried a S8+ and an iPhone 6S
They all find the RC WiFi until the Spark is powered up, then the There is no WiFi at all.

This is a normal behaviour in SPARK .  You have to press the power button on the SPARK until you hear three beeps and then immediately SWITCH OFF the SPARK. Then SWITCH ON the SPARK and the mobile will get connected.
What happens is the WiFi frequency changes from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz and unfortunately ur mobile doesn't support one of these frequencies.
2018-6-24
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

G'day.
Thank you for describing the EXACT same problem I have experienced.

**** RANT ON
Despite S.J. talking his normal rubbish & obvious mis-understandings explaining this is 'Normal behaviour '... S.J. & failed to appreciate the details you provided. S.J has NOT experienced this problem first hand & provides USELESS comments in many posts.
**** RANT OFF

This is not normal. I had the same problem.
Connect the RC to the phone/tablet - all ok.  Turn on Spark & the RC connects with a green light & disconnects from the phone/tablet at the same time.

My android phone has only 2.4 Ghz WiFi. Your Samsung supports 2.4 & 5.8 Ghz. I don't know exactly why you are having a problem as you have both bands available on Spark, RC & the Samsung.

I ran a WiFi analyser on the laptop & discovered the RC was connecting to Spark at 2.4 Ghz instead of the normal 5.8 Ghz & the 2.4 Ghz connection between the RC & android phone would disappear. As I don't have any 5.8 Ghz Wifi devices I could not analyse that band to see if RC was available there.

As my phone is only 2.4 Ghz, I assumed the RC had changed to 5.8 Ghz - but obviously my phone could not see the RC. According to your experience, with 5.8 Ghz available - maybe it disappears on both bands. I don't know. However I did eventually resolve my problem. I am not certain what step I took exactly that worked, but I will explain what I did below...

** Note: My phone used mobile data to download updates within DJI Go 4 when the WiFi was connected to the RC at the same time.  Search the forums for offline updates - I forget - too many things to remember.

** Note 2: After playing around today after solving the initial problem -  the option to upgrade/downgrade/reload firmware offline was available after the 'normal' initial connection to the RC &/or Spark.  Unload/reload DJI Go 4 & connect to the RC & check for updates. Then turn on Spark & check for any firmware updates. Reboot the Android (IOS?), load DIJ Go 4 & connect to your normal WiFi internet connection & download/RELOAD the available firmware updates via DJI Go. Reboot everything between steps if something fails the first time. Sounds confusing - I agree.  Maybe a conflict with CE/FCC modes causing connection issues in different zones?

1) Clear DJI Go 4 cache files via the settings menu (main menu -> me -> gear symbol at top right corner -> clear cache)
2) Delete (or rename) the DJI folder on the android SD card. Maybe via ITunes on IOS?
3) Uninstall the DJI Go 4 app
4) Reboot the phone/tablet.
5) Install DJI Go 4 & login etc.
6) Turn on the RC & connect to RC WiFi from phone/tablet DJI Go 4.
7) Press & hold the 3 lines in the top right corner of the DJI Go 4 main menu for 2-3 seconds.
8) Re-install RC firmware. (Maybe downgrade & then upgrade - I think I selected re-install)
9) Reset the RC - Turn on & hold the power button for 9 seconds until you hear beep-beep-beep-pause-beep-beep
10) Reset Spark - press the power button until you hear three beeps.
10b) Reload Spark firmware via DJI Assistant if required via USB (or DJI Go 4, if it works)
10c) Via DJI Assistant, select factory refresh/reset.
11) Start fresh. Reload DJI Go 4, & reboot the RC & Spark. Avoid any GPS hacks for now.
12) Pair Spark with RC & connect to RC WiFi via DIJ Go 4 with normal instructions.
13  Re calibrate the sensors as required.

It's a software issue.
2018-6-25
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

G'day.

**** RANT ON
Despite S.J. talking normal rubbish & obvious mis-understandings explaining this is 'Normal behaviour '... S.J. & failed to appreciate the details you provided. S.J has NOT experienced this problem first hand & provides USELESS comments in many posts.  I hope to provide solutions from first hand experiences, real exeriences  - not a guess from somebody without similar experience... S.J.?  - Speak up, stop guessing & provide some REAL information instead of ya guessing stuff - just an Aussie saying ya full of rubbish with ya garbage info. S.J.   
**** RANT OFF

This is not normal. I had the same problem.
Connect the RC to the phone/tablet - all ok.  Turn on Spark & the RC connects with a green light & disconnects from the phone/tablet at the same time.

My android phone has only 2.4 Ghz WiFi. Your Samsung supports 2.4 & 5.8 Ghz. I don't know exactly why you are having a problem as you have both bands available on Spark, RC & the Samsung.

I ran a WiFi analyser on the laptop & discovered the RC was connecting to Spark at 2.4 Ghz instead of the normal 5.8 Ghz & the 2.4 Ghz connection between the RC & android phone would disappear. As I don't have any 5.8 Ghz Wifi devices I could not analyse that band to see if RC was available there.

As my phone is only 2.4 Ghz, I assumed the RC had changed to 5.8 Ghz - but obviously my phone could not see the RC. According to your experience, with 5.8 Ghz available - maybe it disappears on both bands. I don't know. However I did eventually resolve my problem. I am not certain what step I took exactly that worked, but I will explain what I did below...

** Note: My phone used mobile data to download updates within DJI Go 4 when the WiFi was connected to the RC at the same time.  Search the forums for offline updates - I forget - too many things to remember.

** Note 2: After playing around today after solving the initial problem -  the option to upgrade/downgrade/reload firmware offline was available after the 'normal' initial connection to the RC &/or Spark.  Unload/reload DJI Go 4 & connect to the RC & check for updates. Then turn on Spark & check for any firmware updates. Reboot the Android (IOS?), load DIJ Go 4 & connect to your normal WiFi internet connection & download/RELOAD the available firmware updates via DJI Go. Reboot everything between steps if something fails the first time. Sounds confusing - I agree.  Maybe a conflict with CE/FCC modes causing connection issues in different zones?

1) Clear DJI Go 4 cache files via the settings menu (main menu -> me -> gear symbol at top right corner -> clear cache)
2) Delete (or rename) the DJI folder on the android SD card. Maybe via ITunes on IOS?
3) Uninstall the DJI Go 4 app
4) Reboot the phone/tablet.
5) Install DJI Go 4 & login etc.
6) Turn on the RC & connect to RC WiFi from phone/tablet DJI Go 4.
7) Press & hold the 3 lines in the top right corner of the DJI Go 4 main menu for 2-3 seconds.
8) Re-install RC firmware. (Maybe downgrade & then upgrade - I think I selected re-install)
9) Reset the RC - Turn on & hold the power button for 9 seconds until you hear beep-beep-beep-pause-beep-beep
10) Reset Spark - press the power button until you hear three beeps.
10b) Reload Spark firmware via DJI Assistant if required via USB (or DJI Go 4, if it works)
10c) Via DJI Assistant, select factory refresh/reset.
11) Start fresh. Reload DJI Go 4, & reboot the RC & Spark. Avoid any GPS hacks for now.
12) Pair Spark with RC & connect to RC WiFi via DIJ Go 4 with normal instructions.
13  Re calibrate the sensors as required.

It's a software issue.
2018-6-25
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

S.J Posted at 2018-6-24 12:08
This is a normal behaviour in SPARK .  You have to press the power button on the SPARK until you hear three beeps and then immediately SWITCH OFF the SPARK. Then SWITCH ON the SPARK and the mobile will get connected.
What happens is the WiFi frequency changes from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz and unfortunately ur mobile doesn't support one of these frequencies.

Hi SJ,
I have done this and the same happens. The phone cannot see the RC and the RC cannot see the Spark, but the Phone can see the Spark.
I bought this unit. I tested it and it was fine. After I upgraded the firmware and moved to Africa the issues started, therefore it is nothing to do with my phone. As I mentioned I have also tried iPhone 6 and Samsung S8+.

I can connect to the RC wifi no problem. Once I Link the the RC to the Spark, the phone will not see either the RC WiFi or the drone WiFi. If I reset the Drone WiFi I can see both.
2018-6-25
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-6-24 12:08
This is a normal behaviour in SPARK .  You have to press the power button on the SPARK until you hear three beeps and then immediately SWITCH OFF the SPARK. Then SWITCH ON the SPARK and the mobile will get connected.
What happens is the WiFi frequency changes from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz and unfortunately ur mobile doesn't support one of these frequencies.

It is not normal behaviour in this situation.  S.J.  failed to READ THE PROBLEM! I can solve it, but not much point talking to the ignorant S.J unless S.J. cares to listen to the truth & has the knowledge to convert logs & fix the problem absolutely. Blahh Blahh.  As usual, S.J.  means well assisting others - the intent is there but the info may not apply depending on devices etc.
Proceed with caution...
2018-6-25
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

Hi SJ and Sparkz71,

I decided to try SJ's procedure one more time as it was the simpler option. The RC and the Drone will not link at all, it times out every time. I am now less connected than before as now the RC is totally useless as it only connects to the phone and not the Spark.

2018-6-25
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

after reading other posts
I connected the phone to the Spark Wifi.
I did a take off and landing with the Spark outdoors with GPS signal.
I then linked my phone to the RC WiFi
I was then able to link the RC and the Spark.
The RC then dropped the WiFi connection and now the phone does not see the RC or the Spark WiFi.
2018-6-25
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
United Kingdom

CB01 Posted at 2018-6-25 05:55
Hi SJ and Sparkz71,

I decided to try SJ's procedure one more time as it was the simpler option. The RC and the Drone will not link at all, it times out every time. I am now less connected than before as now the RC is totally useless as it only connects to the phone and not the Spark.

Ok, use the following link and download the mod app. This will switch the SPARK to FCC mode  and the SPARK can travel more than 2 km distance.  All your problems will vanish into thin air.

https://sparkpilots.zone/threads ... pp-ver-4-1-15.3841/
2018-6-25
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

S.J Posted at 2018-6-25 09:25
Ok, use the following link and download the mod app. This will switch the SPARK to FCC mode  and the SPARK can travel more than 2 km distance.  All your problems will vanish into thin air.

https://sparkpilots.zone/threads/dji-go-4-mod-2-0-dji-go-4-mod-lite-additional-features-android-app-ver-4-1-15.3841/

Hi SJ,
Thanks I appreciate that this may fix the issue but it is not a DJI fix and therefore I stand to have issues that will void the warranty. Am I right? Can DJI not provide a fix for a brand new drone?
2018-6-25
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

CB01 Posted at 2018-6-25 11:45
Hi SJ,
Thanks I appreciate that this may fix the issue but it is not a DJI fix and therefore I stand to have issues that will void the warranty. Am I right? Can DJI not provide a fix for a brand new drone?

As I stated above - reload the firmware into the RC & Spark. Factory reset Spark via DJI Assistance with a PC. Reset RC - turn on RC then hold the power button for 9-10 seconds until RC beeps.
Turn off & on -  RC & Spark. Follow normal procedure to link Spark with the RC. Hopefully your android/iphone can now see the RC wifi.

Do NOT install any hacks or modified apps to change CE to FCC. That will only complicate the problem at hand.

Good luck.
2018-6-25
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-25 21:18
As I stated above - reload the firmware into the RC & Spark. Factory reset Spark via DJI Assistance with a PC. Reset RC - turn on RC then hold the power button for 9-10 seconds until RC beeps.
Turn off & on -  RC & Spark. Follow normal procedure to link Spark with the RC. Hopefully your android/iphone can now see the RC wifi.

Hi Sparkz71, I have tried this and no luck. Sadly the technology of DJI and the support capabilities are so far apart it is almost third world. I had a Phantom 2 vision +. When I try and get it repaired I am told buy a new Phantom 4. So pay pay pay and get zero support.  
2018-6-29
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

CB01 Posted at 2018-6-29 05:26
Hi Sparkz71, I have tried this and no luck. Sadly the technology of DJI and the support capabilities are so far apart it is almost third world. I had a Phantom 2 vision +. When I try and get it repaired I am told buy a new Phantom 4. So pay pay pay and get zero support.

G'day CB01,
I'm sorry nothing suggested 'above' worked. I had a similar problem & resolved it with a full reset of Spark, remote & android phone. I hoped the steps above would work for you, but no such luck.  

Can you connect the DJI Go 4 app directly to the Spark WiFi (forget the remote for now) & fly with the app?
Can you connect the Remote to Spark (forget android/DJI Go 4 app) & fly with the Remote alone?
I assume when the Remote & Spark connect, the WiFi link to the android/DJI Go 4 disappears. Seems like a problem with the Remote.  I know I'm half repeating, but try Downgrading the remote firmware to the previous version, via DJI Go 4 & then Upgrade. Reconnect, pair the remote etc & keep our fingers crossed.  One last thought - try the DJI Go 4 MOD app or an older version of the official app. I don't know why it would make any difference, but it may help to narrow down if the problem is in the normal DJI Go 4 app or the remote/Spark. Or try an OTG cable (my device does not have OTG, just guessing). Maybe a FCC/CE WiFi bug in the firmware of Spark or the remote causing loss of WiFi.  No harm trying all options before giving up.  Might have to go back to DJI for a service.

Good luck!
2018-7-6
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

This thread is similar with a possible solution   https://forum.dji.com/thread-133129-1-1.html

or these may help
https://sparkpilots.zone/threads ... park-rc.3284/page-2

https://www.reddit.com/r/DJISpark/comments/6tty4p/dji_spark_fly_more_combo_problems_with_rc_wifi/

2018-7-6
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-7-6 07:13
G'day CB01,
I'm sorry nothing suggested 'above' worked. I had a similar problem & resolved it with a full reset of Spark, remote & android phone. I hoped the steps above would work for you, but no such luck.  

Hi Sparkz

Can you connect the DJI Go 4 app directly to the Spark WiFi (forget the remote for now) & fly with the app?
YES
Can you connect the Remote to Spark (forget android/DJI Go 4 app) & fly with the Remote alone?
YES
I assume when the Remote & Spark connect, the WiFi link to the android/DJI Go 4 disappears.
YES

As an Update, I decided to try my iPad Air (First iPad Air with only WiFi) and it works fine.

I thought there was a location issue blocking the connection but if the iPad works then there is a different issue. Only thing I noticed is on the the WiFi connection there is not one Channel that is blue(Stable) when connected to the iPad yet when connected directly between the Spark and the Phone or iPad there are a few Stable Channels.
2018-7-6
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

CB01 Posted at 2018-7-6 08:01
Hi Sparkz

Does your 'WiFi only iPad Air'  have GPS?
For Android, try previous versions via https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/
FCC/CE/GPS hacks may upset the latest versions. Avoid hacks for now - loose lips sinks ships. Reset ALL devices at worst & try again.  If the iPad works, but not the Android, reset the RC (power x 9 secs) & see what happens.
At least half your problem is solved if  the iPad works.  Maybe a location/region/gps issue/bug on Android?  
Good luck
2018-7-11
Use props
CB01
Zimbabwe

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-7-11 22:16
Does your 'WiFi only iPad Air'  have GPS?
For Android, try previous versions via https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/
FCC/CE/GPS hacks may upset the latest versions. Avoid hacks for now - loose lips sinks ships. Reset ALL devices at worst & try again.  If the iPad works, but not the Android, reset the RC (power x 9 secs) & see what happens.

Hi, I have tried resetting everything and DJI have now said just use iOS until they can resolve the issue. More people use Android than iOS just as DJI is the preferred unit. What would they say if Google just said rather use a different drone?
2018-7-16
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

CB01 Posted at 2018-7-16 03:42
Hi, I have tried resetting everything and DJI have now said just use iOS until they can resolve the issue. More people use Android than iOS just as DJI is the preferred unit. What would they say if Google just said rather use a different drone?

Downgrade the firmware via DJI go for the RC & Spark. Connect each as required. DJI Assistant may work with Spark - no good for the RC.  Start fresh, otherwise it's broken? Works on my old 'droid. Must be a 2.4/5Ghz wifi bug/issue.
2018-7-30
Use props
fans81856c7c
New

United States

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-25 00:57
G'day.

Thanks for the post! After a couple of hours of struggling, I saw your post and now my Spark is flying again
2020-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules