WP: Making The Case For More Drones
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The following article was on the front page of the Washington Post Metro section print edition this morning.  The title of the article's print edition is shown in the thread title and is different than in the online version.

BLACKSBURG, Va. — They considered how well everyone slept the night before. They considered the chances a military jet might scream by on a training mission. They considered the farmer in the field.
Then they considered some more.

After making it through their list of everything that might possibly go wrong, the team from Virginia Tech sent a birdlike drone — shaped from black foam and packed with high-end communications and camera equipment — on an assignment designed to fail. They wanted to know how far it could fly before it lost contact with its human minders on the ground. So they clicked a destination that was out of range to see what would happen.

About two miles out, the communications started to get hinky. Then they dropped out altogether.
Untethered by its human masters, the drone turned around on its own, as it was programmed to do. It then started circling in a holding pattern, awaiting further instructions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/l ... _term=.d506f3bbf77c

Note:  Apparently they didn't see Unknown Caller's 16.2 mile world record flight last Sunday haha

Also, they're obviously not using Lightbridge, or good antennas, or amps, or ... etc....
2018-6-24
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sounds like they need to consult with DJI.  No telling how many taxpayer $$$$$ are being spent.
2018-6-24
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

2018-6-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This has been an ongoing project since last year and as I remember, quite a few drone companies offered to participate in this "study" including DJI, but DJI was not one of the companies selected.  Neither was Amazon.  I suspect DJI was left out because they're Chinese, and I suspect Amazon was left out because Trump hates Bezos.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/l ... _term=.6940d3627585

2018-6-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-25 03:14
This has been an ongoing project since last year and as I remember, quite a few drone companies offered to participate in this "study" including DJI, but DJI was not one of the companies selected.  Neither was Amazon.  I suspect DJI was left out because they're Chinese, and I suspect Amazon was left out because Trump hates Bezos.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/l ... _term=.6940d3627585

It' FAKE NEWS! It's Washington Post! Washington Post is owned by Bezos!
2018-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules