Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RUST ON THE MAVIC PRO
2672 15 2018-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DavidEzC
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi there,
I'm in Bali, Indonesia right now, I remain there from the last 4 months. As Bali is a island surrounded by the sea with a tropical weather, I give all the care I can to my equipment " daily clean, storage in a dry location, Silica gel bags " in the Mavic back-pack, but the salty air affect even when you take the best care possible.

I have on my Mavic pro, 2 screws seriously rusty. It's the 2 screw at the back of the body, I guess DJI do not use anti-rust screw.
My question is, if anybody can help, can I order those screw to DJI to replace before the rust start to fall apart?

Have a look on the picture attached.

Thank you for your answer,
regards,
David.

IMG_3713.jpg
2018-6-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

thats interesting, those screws should be stainless steel, thus rust shouldnt be happening like that.

i do not believe Dji sells parts individually, best bet maybe to check ebay and similar sites for parts. that's where i gone to replace the front right leg of my mavic pro when i cracked it from a active track crash.

as for stopping them from rusting, best and cheapest bet is to paint the screw or clear coat them.. if you want original as possible look, satin clear coat spray on screw then thread it in when it dries..
2018-6-25
Use props
mickongen
Captain
Flight distance : 1349816 ft
Denmark

Maybe you should look inside you drone, if you have rust outside what will it look inside when you flying in this place whit lot of tropical weather just a thought, but maybe it fine inside, have a nice flight.
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Has your drone ever been worked on?  Possibly screws being replaced when it was worked on.
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's not good - rust spreads - best get it checked over
2018-6-25
Use props
Armazia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125069 ft
Netherlands

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-25 17:01
thats interesting, those screws should be stainless steel, thus rust shouldnt be happening like that.

i do not believe Dji sells parts individually, best bet maybe to check ebay and similar sites for parts. that's where i gone to replace the front right leg of my mavic pro when i cracked it from a active track crash.

Well, Stainless steel can corrode.. If you're flying in a salty environment it probably will. So if you fly near the sea it could turn out this way.
2018-6-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

my pro had the screws exactly the same because of all the flying by the sea. I regularly take them off and soak them in vinegar which kills the rust
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-6-25 23:15
my pro had the screws exactly the same because of all the flying by the sea. I regularly take them off and soak them in vinegar which kills the rust

Good idea mate.      
2018-6-25
Use props
Gregbella
Captain

That shouldn’t happen l would check inside to see if the PC  boards are ok
2018-6-26
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

All the screws on mine went rusty within a few weeks of owning.  Again small tropical island.  Its cosmetic though.  Nothing else is suffering.
Just cheap, low quality fixings on the outside.  They still work.
Everything rusts here even things that never leave the house due to the salt air.

If it bothers you, put some clear nail varnish over them to stop further corrosion.

2018-6-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble. The best way on how to fix this trouble in to send the DJI Mavic Pro in for repair so that we will be able to check and replace those screw. We do not recommend our DJI Drone owners to change those screws themselves. It might void the warranty of the Drone if there is any and not to further damage the Drone.
2018-6-26
Use props
Koelkop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

Those screws are definitely not stainless. After 4 months mine also started showing signs of rust. I am about 30km from the ocean.

I noticed it when removing the props as well, the shaft on the motor where the spring sits started showing rust.
Dabbed all the rust spots with paraffin oil. So far it looks under control.
2018-6-26
Use props
DavidEzC
lvl.1

Indonesia

DJI drone are fantastic, but, the conception, I can say now that they build it like most of the Chinese product, with cheap parts. They should use better better parts, anti-rust screw its mandatory. But anyway, thank you to all for your reply, I am going to apply a anti-rust product to each screw on the Mavic body, it should be fine.
2018-6-26
Use props
DavidEzC
lvl.1

Indonesia

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-26 07:59
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble. The best way on how to fix this trouble in to send the DJI Mavic Pro in for repair so that we will be able to check and replace those screw. We do not recommend our DJI Drone owners to change those screws themselves. It might void the warranty of the Drone if there is any and not to further damage the Drone.

Nice idea, but common Stephen, all this job, packing the Mavic, go to post office, send the package,the waiting, for 2 rusty screws ! no, I will fix myself definitely, its not a big deal, I am just kind of disappointed that DJI use this kind of low quality parts.
I know that near the sea, the rust it's a very commune matter, but I have others items, like a Canon camera, lenses, GO PRO Camera, Apple computer etc, and I do not have this problem with, so it's mean that canon, GO PRO, Apple, use high quality part.

Anyway, maybe this post will make DJI, think about those screws, and fir the next DJI generation, they will use better quality part. DJI Drone are fantastic, and it will be more with better parts.
2018-6-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

well i dont live near the ocean and i only fly over and near oceans on vacations.  

as for it it is stainless steel, i just assumed based on simple properties.

as for if stainless steel corrodes/oxidizes. yes.  however high grade stainless shouldn't react in mild ambient air temperatures.  however high temperatures stainless does breakdown, hence why some high end stainless exhausts rust out, temperature sets it off..

if it was me suffering from this, i would just sand it down with emery cloth or super fine grit wet sanding paper after soaking it in vinegar or something to break rust up..  then i would hit it with some clear coat or black spray paint..then screw it back in after it dries..  the clear coat or painting will act as a barrier..
2018-6-26
Use props
DavidEzC
lvl.1

Indonesia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-26 20:21
well i dont live near the ocean and i only fly over and near oceans on vacations.  

as for it it is stainless steel, i just assumed based on simple properties.

Its a good idea, its not THE big problem the rust, I'm just very surprise that happen on this kind of machine.
2018-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules