6507 87 2018-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlexQB
lvl.3
Flight distance : 352162 ft
Spain

hi people,

For almost 2 months I have been enjoying this little wonder that is the spark. On day 21 everything changed. While my little boy was quietly flying, he stopped responding to the directions I gave him with the command and flew directly against a rocky wall crashing and fell into an absolutely inaccessible area.

As I said, it was impossible for me to recover it because the area where it fell was inaccessible and extremely dangerous.

I attach the video and the log of the flight in case anyone of you finds a reasonable explanation of what happened.

As far as I have noticed, there were a lot of compass and yaw errors, which is quite strange since there was no electromagnetic element nearby.

Thank you guys!

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CY8D8SGZ7A237H1QS7PH/

2018-6-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, we're sorry to read the accident. It is recommended to contact our support to report this accident. Please follow this link: https://www.dji.com/support
Data analysis will be suggested if the unit is still under warranty period. We will offer you a corresponding solution according to the analysis result.
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-26 04:09
Hi, we're sorry to read the accident. It is recommended to contact our support to report this accident. Please follow this link: https://www.dji.com/support
Data analysis will be suggested if the unit is still under warranty period. We will offer you a corresponding solution according to the analysis result.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.

I contacted to DJI Support and now been waiting for a solution.

Best regards
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 04:16
Hi,
Thanks for your answer.

Alex you are right, in the last seconds from the end of the video, it looks thats it is gaining speed and becoming uncontrollable resulting in a crash in the rocks.

You where really high on that Mountain, so there must be No Magnetic Interference.

Hope that DJI Support will help you out.
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 04:31
Alex you are right, in the last seconds from the end of the video, it looks thats it is gaining speed and becoming uncontrollable resulting in a crash in the rocks.

Hope that DJI Support will help you out.

Thanks DMX
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Let me do a small Summary -

1) You Start Motors

2) Have 20 Satellites Locked

3) Used Auto TakeOff

4) Homepoint Recorded

5) Flying in P-GPS until 43 seconds

6) You switch to Active Track and all is OK

7) You switch off Active Track until 2mins

8) Flying in P-GPS again until 4min15seconds

9) While in P-GPS, having still 20 Satellites Locked you get the First Error - Speed Error at 4min15 (Strange as Drone is almost still at 0.5mph)

10) Speed Error continues until then a new error 4min17 - Aircraft GPS signal too week. Home Point not updated.; Speed Error (Strange again as you are on a High Mountain and didn't go down in some form of Canyon or Valley and you have 19 Satellites Locked)

11) Compass Error - 4min18 (I wonder why the Compass gave you an Error without Magnetic Interference up there)

12) Yaw Error - 4m24

13) 4m25 another Error - Magnetic Filed Interference. Exit P-GPS Mode; Yaw Error (Magnetic Interference from what ? It was just 131ft away and maybe 6/20ft below your level on the mountain thats why it is with the 'Minus -' )

14) 4m27 - Speed Error - Here You start losing Satellites you are at 17 Satellites, the Drones starts decending

15) 4m28 - Compass Error

16) 4m29 - GPS Position NoMatch

17) 4m31 - Start gaining Speed - Until now the Average was about 3Mph almost not moving. Just some 1or 2 moments where it reach 5-10mph and then slowed again. You continue losing Satellites you are at about 9 now.

18) 4m32 - Speed at 10mph, the Drone is without control most probably in ATTI Mode due to Compass / Yaw Errors, Satellites are still at 9, height is 156ft below you, then all of a sudden the Drone goes straight in the Rocks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Opinion is that this is not a Pilot Error.

The Pilot did everything inline with a Good Procedure, Locking Satellites, Recording Homepoint, Flying Slowly, then his Drone went into ATTI Mode for a Strange Reason I can't explain.

I really can't understand what that Magnetic Interference was on Top of that Mountain ? Also that Speed Error ? When he was almost not even moving ?

I think there was some Techinical Fault inside the Accelerometer of the IMU - Showing the Speed Error + Yaw Errors

Then Resulting to an IMU / Compass Mismatch - Showing the Compass Error

When there was all these Errors - The Spark would give up - and give a GPS Error Mismatch - In the Final Moments we see the GPS Error Mismatch too resulting the Spark dropping into ATTI mode.

The Drone went in ATTI Mode for the last 15 seconds because of all these errors all of a sudden, so I think at that moment of some Strong Wind Gusts (Remember that on a Mountain your Altitude is very high) caught the Drone and pushed / drifted the Spark in the Rocks. At the Final moment the Spark was at about 10MPH so in ATTI Mode you need to force it to the other direction to stop it, it will not Autobrake itself.

2018-6-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 04:16
Hi,
Thanks for your answer.

You're welcome. You can also DM me your case number so that I can update you with your case. Thank you.
2018-6-26
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear your drone crashed.
I have noticed from your flight log at 4m 14m 5s Speed error started then followed by Weak GPS at 17m5s.
Did you see any notification on the screen or heard any sound from the phone to notify that there is an issue ?

2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

Ram-UK Posted at 2018-6-26 04:57
Sorry to hear your drone crashed.
I have noticed from your flight log at 4m 14m 5s Speed error started then followed by Weak GPS at 17m5s.
Did you see any notification on the screen or heard any sound from the phone to notify that there is an issue ?

No, there was no notification on the screen of mobile until the accident.

In the video also you can hear the sound. The only thing that is heard is at the end when pressed without success return to home.

Thank you for your answer
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 04:41
Let me do a small Summary -

1) You Start Motors

Thank you so much for your careful analysis.

I can assure that it wasn't a windy day. And in the final moments also did not make a strong wind gust.

As you can see in the log of the entire flight there was no warning for strong wind.

Thanks again DMX
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 05:06
No, there was no notification on the screen of mobile until the accident.

In the video also you can hear the sound. The only thing that is heard is at the end when pressed without success return to home.

Dear Alex,

With those Errors from no where, as I told you I can't understand what was causing Magnetic Interference Up there..., the Spark drops from P-GPS to ATTI Mode.

I will send you a Video to explain what ATTI Mode is you don't know. Its where the Drone gets carried away with the Wind as it cannot hold GPS Positioning.

So by Pressing RTH, nothing will happen, as with the Yaw / Compass Errors, the GPS cannot work without an Active Working Compass as it won't know what the Heading (North / South / East / West) will be to return home.

2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Here is a Video to explain how in ATTI Mode, the Drone doesn't hold position and can drift with the Wind and even with Inertia as it won't use GPS Coordinate to Stop or Hold Position. So if you fly at one direction where there is a wall, if you life your fingers from the joystick, the Spark won't stop but will continue to Drift at that Direction as without GPS, in ATTI there are No Auto Braking.

2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 05:18
Dear Alex,

With those Errors from no where, as I told you I can't understand what was causing Magnetic Interference Up there..., the Spark drops from P-GPS to ATTI Mode.

Thanks DMX.

I knew in ATTI mode Return to Home don't works but i pressed it by the panic to see that the drone was going to crash irremediably.

In the flight record of the DjI GO 4 app can see that in ATTI mode i pressed for the drone moves forward and it didn't respond and goes to the rock wall irremediably.
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 05:17
Thank you so much for your careful analysis.

I can assure that it wasn't a windy day. And in the final moments also did not make a strong wind gust.

Yes I did notice there wasn't any wind warnings. Though even with a small breeze the wind can drift the drone in ATTI mode, as the Spark cannot fight back to hold position without GPS.

During the Final Parts it was gaining speed Alex, and in ATTI Mode it will continue to Drift in the direction the Spark was moving, it won't stop as it had no GPS.

The problem is why did it jump into ATTI Mode ? I suspect it was some Technical Error.

Just a Question are you using Android and Version 4.2.12, 4.2.14, 4.2.16, 4.2.20 any of those ? Because during the last updates from 4.2.12 this particular Yaw Error became very common.

Thank you.

2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 05:28
Thanks DMX.

I knew in ATTI mode Return to Home don't works but i pressed it by the panic to see that the drone was going to crash irremediably.

Also note that from the Video I heard the Beeps when you press RTH, but the Drone didn't record it in the Flightlog.

Did you notice ?
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 05:28
Yes I did notice there wasn't any wind warnings. Though even with a small breeze the wind can drift the drone in ATTI mode, as the Spark cannot fight back to hold position without GPS.

During the Final Parts it was gaining speed Alex, and in ATTI Mode it will continue to Drift in the direction the Spark was moving, it won't stop as it had no GPS.

Yes, one week before i update my DJI GO app to last version, 4.2.20.

I didn't know that there could be bugs in that version.

Thanks
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 05:39
Yes, one week before i update my DJI GO app to last version, 4.2.20.

I didn't know that there could be bugs in that version.

Most Android users are saying this. So its just Speculation that it may be the DJI GO4 App leading to these errors.

I switched to IPhone 7+ as most IOS Users are not experiencing such Bugs.

I wish you best of luck to get a New Drone from DJI, I am sure its still under Guarantee.
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 05:33
Also note that from the Video I heard the Beeps when you press RTH, but the Drone didn't record it in the Flightlog.

Did you notice ?

Strange thing
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 05:42
Most Android users are saying this. So its just Speculation that it may be the DJI GO4 App leading to these errors.

I switched to IPhone 7+ as most IOS Users are not experiencing such Bugs.

Thank you very much for your help
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Alex, I have a really Professional Analyzer friend of mine, I just texted him to come give us his opinion.

We are here to help you out brother ! Many will come share their ideas about this accident. Wait and see, in the mean time go to DJI Support and open a Ticket with them to make a Report on your Accident.

https://www.dji.com/support

2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 05:50
Alex, I have a really Professional Analyzer friend of mine, I just texted him to come give us his opinion.

We are here to help you out brother ! Many will come share their ideas about this accident. Wait and see, in the mean time go to DJI Support and open a Ticket with them to make a Report on your Accident.

Many thanks for your help!
Above whether the accident covers the warranty or not, what I also care about is knowing what really happened.

I have already contacted the technical service of dji and I am waiting for the solution that they give me.

Thank you again
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 06:05
Many thanks for your help!
Above whether the accident covers the warranty or not, what I also care about is knowing what really happened.

I am interested too Alex, I will Favourite this Post to have an eye on the Progress.

2018-6-26
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Sorry for your Loss and hopefully DJI will send you another drone and I hope they get these Yaw / software errors worked out soon as I'm looking to get a Spark this Fall but I'm worried right now.
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Kingram Posted at 2018-6-26 07:07
Sorry for your Loss and hopefully DJI will send you another drone and I hope they get these Yaw / software errors worked out soon as I'm looking to get a Spark this Fall but I'm worried right now.

Kingram why don't you get a Mavic Air ?

When arms are closed its almost smaller than the Spark, and its far better.

If I had the opportunity I would skip buying the Spark at first place.
2018-6-26
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I have looked at the M Air and I like it  and would love to have one and I might get one  but........ It is twice the price .  I assume  the Mavic Air have less problems and less Fly aways ?  Also which DJI Drone is the quietest ?
2018-6-26
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Just in addition to this thread ; a speed error says something about high RPM of the motors, ECS will increase rpm if flying at high altitude (thin air) to keep at desired level height.
So has nothing to do with air or groundspeed of the drone.

Its similar to Aircraft of Helicopter max flying ceiling, at certain height you cannot go any higher. (due to aerodynamics and/or engine power)

Don`t remember where i have read this fact, if i find it again will update this post.

Agree with others ; too many errors so suddenly, see my chart.Speed, Compass and Yaw errors, must be a defect in this Spark wich made it go into ATTI mode.
Watching the video guess you don`t have your Spark (or?) to get the needed blackbox data, but when DJI see your flightlog, must be a warranty case.

Cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

JJBspark Posted at 2018-6-26 09:41
Hi,

Just in addition to this thread ; a speed error says something about high RPM of the motors, ECS will increase rpm if flying at high altitude (thin air) to keep at desired level height.

Hi JJBspark,

Thank you so much for your analysis.

2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

JJBspark Posted at 2018-6-26 09:41
Hi,

JJB take note,

There is different information about the 'Speed Error' then the ones you are spreading.

I wish to ask, where did you get the information, that it has something to do with the Rotors RPM ? You said - ''So has nothing to do with air or groundspeed of the drone.''

Here there are novice pilots who would like Solid Information based on Facts, kindly if you are just 'Speculating' include it in your comments to avoid misunderstanding and spreading wrong information. If DJI confirmed these Techinical Details with you, please also include from where you got this information.

Thank you.

2018-6-26
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not expert on 'Compass Interference' and I didn't see anything in the DJI SPARK manual regarding 'Rocks'.  But in other DJI products like the inspire I've seen specific notes reading; "The ideal place to calibrate is a wide open location that is free of anything metalilic within a 20 ft radius.  Keep away from drainage pipe, irrigation systems, rocks, sidewalks (or other concrete structures), etc.

Obviously, a lot of rock up there on that mountain.  And not being a geologist in all likely hood that mountain could contain all types of metals potentially interfering with signal.  Again, food for thought...I'm not an expert.    Curious, if you were getting any 'Compass Calibration' errors?  Also, did you do a 'Compass Calibration' while on the mountain?     
2018-6-26
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Sorry for your loss!
Come on DJI I can't stand seeing sparks dying.
This guy could have a gorgeous video from the montains to show us but instead all he's got is a crash video.
These errors and loses are getting on my nerves, really!
Please do something!
2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

First – thank you @DMX_MT for directing me to this thread. It is very interesting.

Alex,

Your sticks settings are not standard Mode 2 – hard to analyze . But …

Despite what you say - no wind – data shows something different.
At 2m 2s Spark is stationary holding P-GPS position at 18 metres above you. Its pitch and roll are consistent with breeze blowing from NE (not very strong).

Until 4m 2s flight is uneventful. Everything as expected. Analysis of Spark behaviour between 4m 2s and 4m 15s is interesting because this is where “all evil” started. See attached picture and explanation below.

I suspect a coincidence of two things. As you lower the altitude and get closer to a rock face above which you are standing gusts of wind get reflected off the ground and cause Spark to overshoot its commanded position and do a wide circle fighting shifting wind. Notice that you do not touch your sticks and GPS positioning is strong. However, that’s not all, based on the fact that Spark is very close to rocks now and that later it gets all kinds of compass errors, I believe that the ground on which you are standing contains hematite or magnetite. Circular pattern when Spark is hunting for proper position is consistent with wind changing direction close to the ground – NE to NW. It is also consistent with compass/IMU misalignment caused by magnetic interference. One or the other, or both – perfect storm .

While hunting in a circle Spark’s speed and GPS co-ordinates get misaligned. Sparks onboard controller gets confused. It knows that it has strong GPS signal but this does not correspond to speed measurements.  It throws Speed error and immediately drops to ATTI since it cannot trust GPS and GPS speed anymore. In logs it still shows P-GPS. Logs are flat wrong (I have seen countless examples where DJI logs show P-GPS while it really is in OPTI or ATTI).

From this moment Spark gets picked up by the wind and starts being pushed to SE slowly increasing speed.
4m 16.6 sec – you give a short burst on sticks to slow down its spontaneous flight. Helps for a second. Than you release your sticks and Spark continues its journey to south east pushed by the wind.

Starting from 4m 17.8 seconds things unfold fairly quickly.
Spark drifts in ATTI caught by the wind blowing at the rock face beneath you and creating a nice tunnel into the crevice were the Spark crashed.
Since there are speed errors and GPS gets confused in final phases of the flight, we cannot totally rely on speed as shown in the logs. I estimate that, in the last 13 seconds of Sparks life, the wind carried it with the average speed of over 20 km / hour. Spark can withstand it with no problem – if it is in P-GPS or if you have manual control in ATTI. You did have manual control and Spark obviously responded. You claim it did not – it did – read on…

Just after Spark starts its wayward journey, you pull full throttle up. Correct action. To make it even more effective you should have switched to Sport mode. You did not.
At 4m 21 sec you make a fatal mistake – you accelerate Spark to the East – with the wind - instead of trying to fly it to the West out of the crevice it was running into. To make matters worse, you push it down instead of up.

At 4m 24 sec you realize that your actions make the situation worse and you let go of the sticks.

3 seconds later at 4m 27.2s Spark crashes into the rock face.

Don’t get me wrong – I am not judging your skills here. Even experienced drone pilot would have problems here. Between ATTI and crash there is only 13 seconds. Between the point were you realized that something is wrong and crash – 10 seconds. Hard to think rationally looking with amazement (and open mouth ) as your Spark is floating towards rock wall.

Give DJI Support a try. Speed error with wind which was not that strong (maybe bit over 20 km/hour) is unusual. Perhaps it was magnetic interference which tripped it at the beginning of the circular dance but than why DJI logs show it much later?
We do complain here about deficiencies and issues with Spark’s firmware. This case may show another weakness.
DJI needs to check and decide.

Cheers!

Mirek

2018-6-26
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-26 13:08
First – thank you @DMX_MT for directing me to this thread. It is very interesting.

Alex,

Mirek,
What are you? A DJI Jedi?
hahahahahahahahah
One more great analysis from you m8!
What software you use to analyse the log?
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

Alex,

Hello Mirek,
 First of all, wooowww !! You left me very impressed! Many thanks for the accurate analysis of the flight, especially for the final moments. What privilege you spent so much time analyzing my fateful flight.

Regarding the control, I am left-handed and for this reason I have the controls configured in the way that it is best for me to be able to control the movement from the front and back with the left control and the height with the right.

As for the commands I pressed, I do not remember very accurately what I pressed and during when. Yes, I have reviewed the flight history of the DJI GO 4 application and when it starts to run towards the wall I see that I try to steer it forward (SE) without success or response. From the nerves it may be that I had pressed some wrong direction at some point, I do not know.

As for the wind, I am aware that I am not an expert in drones but rather a bit of climbing mountains and taking into account weather conditions when doing so. The day I climbed the mountain there was nothing short of wind, a minimal breeze from time to time that surely did not reach 5 km / h.
I have this very clear, because due to a slight wind, I have never driven the dron due to my fear of losing it or something like that.
Therefore, I can assure you that the only wind that could have been made was a breeze of up to 5 km / h.

With that I do not want to put in doubt your perfect analysis that left me impressed!  
You gave me a fairly logical explanation of what could happen and this for me is already a lot, although as I said,  there are somethings that i still don't understand.

Sorry for my bad English, I do not dominate it too much.

Best regards!
2018-6-26
Use props
AlexQB
lvl.3
Spain

AlexQB Posted at 2018-6-26 14:06
Hello Mirek,
 First of all, wooowww !! You left me very impressed! Many thanks for the accurate analysis of the flight, especially for the final moments. What privilege you spent so much time analyzing my fateful flight.

Sorry, when i said SE means SW
2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

Hello Mirek,

Alex,

Hmmm...

I am no DJI Jedi as BrilhasMuito jokingly said but I used to work as a mountain guide in my previous life. I am not joking here - back in Poland. Beskidy and Tatra. I led groups of university students for several years and took part in mountain guides expedition to High Atlas Mountains in mid-80s. To this day mountains are my passion and I envy you living in such a beautiful spot on Earth.

I do not doubt what you say. I do not doubt max 5 km/hour breeze you felt. However (from my previous life :-) I know how strange and unpredictable weather patterns could be in the mountains. I know and expect different wind speeds at different altitudes (even 10 meters of altitude can make a big difference) and I appreciate wind tunnels created by valleys, crevices, or narrow spaces between rock formations. I know how wind speeds up against rock faces when conditions are right. Spark is light – it does not need big wind to push it around.

But let’s assume that there was really no wind. Not at 18 metres and not below you. How would I explain what I saw? How can Spark in ATTI drift sideways? How can it drift sideways consistent with pitch and roll which I saw at 18 metres altitude while it was standing still which I interpreted as bracing itself against the wind so it does not get blown away?

The only answer could be uncalibrated or damaged IMU. IMU is responsible for keeping the craft level. If it is not level, it will drift in ATTI because the power is distributed to all propellers evenly when there is no input from sticks. So, if, let’s say, the nose of Spark is pointing north and is slightly inclined down, Spark will drift north.
This is less of a problem in P-GPS because Spark does continuous correction of its course based on compass, IMU and GPS. For example, if it starts to drift, it will quickly figure out that there is no input from sticks, GPS position is changing, and it would distribute power to its propellers in such a way that it would drift back. It happens very quickly and constantly.

Is the problem we are seeing here consistent with broken IMU, if there is no wind? Outside of what I saw at 2m 2s – perhaps. But at 2m. 2s when Spark was stationary at 18 metres above you, keeping strong position and staying still while being slightly tilted (a bit of backward pitch and twice as strong roll to the right) can, in my books, be only attributed to bracing against the breeze from NW. Otherwise it would have flow in that direction. So here I must insist that at that point and that altitude Spark was feeling wind.

But forget the (not so strong) wind at 2m 2s. Let’s say no wind below you where Spark had issues.

When Spark’s IMU is unbalanced (not calibrated, has some slight problem) everything may work fine in P-GPS.
Sparks IMU imbalance will be continuously corrected while Spark is flying to keep appropriate position and direction. Until disagreement between compass and IMU is big enough to warrant switching off to ATTI to avoid toilet bowl effect, you are fine.

So, what do we see at 4m 2s? Spark doing almost perfect circle while hunting for stationary position in P-GPS and with no input form sticks. This can happen only if we have a twirl of wind shifting from NE to NW (the direction it is blowing from – and later consistent with direction Spark flew away) or mismatch between compass and IMU starting toilet bowl effect, or (a perfect storm) – both. Knowing mountains (plenty of rocks with iron ore or magnetite) and seeing later compass and yaw errors (in logs), I did bet on wind and/or possible magnetic interference.

But the exact same effect could have been caused by compass / IMU disagreement without the wind (which I noted). If IMU was faulty, and, perhaps, we had additional magnetic interference to completely throw it off – the flight path would be as shown on the picture. After few seconds Spark would have switched to ATTI to avoid progressively worsening situation and progressively wider circles where Spark control would have been very difficult. Its speed was greater than zero around the circle but its GPS position was barely moving – Speed error.

So it did switch to ATTI. Correctly.

If IMU was damaged or uncalibrated causing slight tilt of Spark, it would have drifted. And it did drift in the direction of tilt.

DJI Support will ask you first if you calibrated compass and IMU and if DJI GO App showed them normal when you started your flight. If you did, they showed OK, there was no wind, you have a warranty case of damaged IMU.

And here is a bummer which most likely completely invalidates everything I wrote above regarding IMU malfunction and the tilt (yes, I did keep you in suspense on purpose
2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

Oh well, my previous post was cut off - too long :-).

Continuing:

:-)).

When Spark was drifting away its pitch and roll was uneven as if tossed by the wind and was certainly not consistent with a pitch and roll your AC would have if IMU was damaged propelling it consistently into SE.

Damn! :-)

I still bet on wind possibly combined with magnetic interference from rocks.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mirek

2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-6-26 13:21
Mirek,
What are you? A DJI Jedi?
hahahahahahahahah

BrilhasMuito,

No connection with Star Wars here :-).
I simply analyze .csv file (available form Phantom log link) using Excel. It shows a lot of details which you cannot see from the phantom site.

For picture I loaded .kmz file (also available as link from phantom log) into Google Earth and drew comments and arrows in Power Point. Flight path was supplied by .kmz file and resolved by Google Earth.
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Alex,

Mirek Big Thank You for coming here.

I saw that Alex was in need of help and tried to help him as much as possible giving him a summary of what I thought has happened.

As my friend Brilhas said you are a DJI Jedi. You know how much faith I have in You.

I am Happy that Alex like the analysis. I was sure that you can be the Best I Know for this.

Really Appreciate your kind Help Mirek, and Thanks for spending the Time to Explain Everything in such Detail.

I am always Obligated to You.

2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-26 15:53
BrilhasMuito,

No connection with Star Wars here :-).

Mirek,

The Excel Program lists as well the Inputs ? I really am impressed how you could also see the RC Configuration.

Really Big Welldone, today its late, if you have time I wish to learn about how Speed Error Works. Even if you direct me to a Youtube Tutorial its enough.

Cheers and Good Night Buddy !

2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Hello Mirek,

Hey Alex,

I told you I have a friend who will surely come to Help.

Mirek is a Real Genius I can confirm.

Hope that DJI will help you out Brother.

2018-6-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules