Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Caution Compass Calibration Danger! Motors Started Turning!
1956 17 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

They say experience is learning from our mistakes.. I gained some experience today!

I checked my compass before flying and it was about 1450. The Inspire started having trouble holding position in an 8.5m/s wind. I checked the compass again and it was down to about 1250.  I decided to calibrate the compass.  I did the compass dance, first flat - it took almost 720 degrees of turn to make the light change green, I then did the turn with the nose pointed towards the ground. As soon as I got the flashing green light on the tail the motors started randomly powering up to full power!

I was standing holding the Inspire with the props randomly spinning away (sometimes at full power) wondering if I was going stay there holding it until the battery was dead. I finally managed to get to my controller (after saying many bad words!) and send the kill signal to the Inspire.

What I learned was NEVER calibrate the compass with the props on.

I was lucky that I was careful of how I was holding it …just in case the props started. And they did!

Be careful,

Cheers                                               
2015-5-17
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

Whoa - glad to hear you and the bird remained uninjured.... Can you give us a little more details about the surrounding area/environment? Possible sources of interference, be it electrical, structural steel, indoors/outdoors, etc?

Just so we can paint a better picture for users as well as support.

Thanks!!
2015-5-17
Use props
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-5-18 15:54
Whoa - glad to hear you and the bird remained uninjured.... Can you give us a little more details ab ...

Outside with no major buildings or infrastructure within 1 km. My Ford Raptor was parked about 20m away. Phone , watch and controller on the ground about 5m away. I had flown 42 minutes before (over 5 batteries draining them all down to about 50% so I could check and fully  recharge them for a shoot  today. It was fairly windy over 8m/s measured by the Inspire drifting in ATTI mode. It was in the late afternoon and the temperature was somewhere between 38-40 deg C .
I have sent the data logs to DJI and they are investigating.

Cheers
2015-5-18
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This should not happen ... PERIOD!
2015-5-18
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I think you perhaps should have this checked by your dealer or DJI.  Should never happen, but as you rightly say it is perhaps a lesson learned for us all to be very wary.
2015-5-18
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If I need to remove the props to do the compass calibration,  I will throw the I1 in the trash can.   Period
2015-5-18
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

vonbaron1 Posted at 2015-5-18 20:55
If I need to remove the props to do the compass calibration,  I will throw the I1 in the trash can.  ...

I don't install the props until I've done the compass calibration and I'm ready to fly.  I think it's a safety issue.  Like unplugging the table saw when you change the blade.  You just never know what can happen as Kirk can attest to.  By the way, was there ever a response from DJI?  Because if they recommend removing them for the calibration, I want to find out  vonbaron1's address so I can pick his garbage!  haha!  Oh, by the way vonbaron1.  Will you make sure to throw the remote controller out with it too!
2016-2-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not sure how the motors arm when doing a Compass calibration.  You are not doing a CSC as part of the procedure.  Definitely something else going on here.
2016-2-8
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

My bet was some odd condition that started the RTH process.
2016-2-8
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

vonbaron1 Posted at 2015-5-18 20:55
If I need to remove the props to do the compass calibration,  I will throw the I1 in the trash can.  ...

Right on.
So .... where is your trash can by the way?
2016-2-8
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your to late, its ashes....
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know your post is almost a year old but it looks like it's been revived. Did you ever figure out why that happened?
I honestly have never heard of that happening before.
2016-2-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2016-2-8 09:58
I am not sure how the motors arm when doing a Compass calibration.  You are not doing a CSC as part  ...

three years in with three machines  p1.0 p2 and the inspire 1.0   I've never had this happen or heard of this one... I don't see anyway it could have spooled up the motors just doing a compass cal, sounds fishy...
2016-2-9
Use props
Mowog2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78944 ft
Australia

This not the first time I have heard of this happening.
2016-2-9
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

I have been carrying the Inspire in wind and it has powered up due to the rotors being turned by the wind. Now I do not carry the inspire powered on with the rotors and I always do the compass calibration before I attach them.
2016-2-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is really disturbing.
2016-2-10
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

I should clarify that the system powered on, but my rotors didn't actually start powering around (other than by the wind). But I would still exercise precaution. Its in my ops manual to only perform the calibrations when the rotors are not mounted to minimise risk. It has happened on other multi-rotors before now.
2016-2-11
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Old oost but a good prrcaution to take props off during calibration. And I am jelly of your Ford Raptor.
2016-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules