P4A Plus - Two App Software crashes - one off ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi

I took my Phantom 4 Advanced (Plus) out this morning and after an initial fly around taking pictures with no issues, decided to land when the battery was getting low.

Changed batteries and thought ok, I have never tried the automatic(precission) take off or any of the intelligent flight modes.

So lets try an automatic take off (sats all good and home point set etc), followed the instructions and the drone took off and hovered etc, but then my display froze, it prompted me to reboot or wait.

I selected wait, so that I could manually land – perfect! (and luckily not far away).

I thought that’s a first, so I turned the drone and controller off, waited about 20-30 seconds and fired them up again.
This time I thought ok, normal manual take off and lets try POI(point of interest), took off, went up to say 100 feet, selected intelligent mode, but could not access the second screen(where POI lives) and again the App seemed to have crashed.

Do I want to reboot or wait……..selected wait………then manually landed again.

This time, I packed up and decided to seek advice.

I did a few weeks ago update to beta Pano software and todate no issues (although never having tried/tested auto takeoff or intelligent flight modes/functions)

Question 1
Has anyone had similar experiences ?

Question 2
I did set the home point before take off, so is it advisable or safe to reboot when in flight or this should always be avoided at all cost ?

Question 3
At home (indoors) I have just restarted and I can now access POI second screen in intelligent mode.

However, should I reload all software ?  

Or treat it as a one off ?

Comments please and thanks in advance - ideally official DJI response first.
+++++++Update++++++++
The actual message was close or wait

2018-6-26
Use props
Joreto
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Hello KEJ

I will follow the thread, as I would like to go to the beta as well for the pano pictures, and I'm curious, if it was software or onetime event.
Hopefully someone from DJI respond shortly!

Thanks.
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Joreto Posted at 2018-6-27 00:23
Hello KEJ

I will follow the thread, as I would like to go to the beta as well for the pano pictures, and I'm curious, if it was software or onetime event.

I think it was a "DJI GO 4" error.

But its more how I should deal and treat it, backup and restore or wait to see if it happens again.

Issue at controller(plus unit with screen) end, up to now and many flights with beta running, it has been fine.
2018-6-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience that you're having right now. Is the firmware updated? Can you try to refresh the firmware using DJI assistant 2? You might want to check this tutorial:
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-27 02:46
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience that you're having right now. Is the firmware updated? Can you try to refresh the firmware using DJI assistant 2? You might want to check this tutorial:

hey no problem thanks.

I believe so, totally up to date, I do normally check, but I will watch the video and recheck.

I suspect it may have just been a one off or should (ideally) it never should crash.

Silly question for intelligent mode, albeit automatic takeoff, POI or tap and go etc, do I need to ensure that option is turned on and is that the same option for P , A  & S modes?

Or you only enble for A & S modes?

Intelliegent flight modes should always be active anyway ?

Hope that makes sense.
2018-6-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Are you sure it ask if you want to reboot?
Mine, also GL300E but controlling a P4P, has had a lot of the below crashes on latest firmware. Wait usually does nothing, Close sometimes get the App up running again but often just end in a black screen.

You would have plenty of time to power off and restart the controller without initiating a RTH if you watch the green connection led and power up again when this goes black. One of the serious issues when this happen is that you might miss parts or whole the flight record on the controller.

2018-6-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-6-27 03:38
hey no problem thanks.

I believe so, totally up to date, I do normally check, but I will watch the video and recheck.

No problem. Let me know if refreshing the firmware using DJI assistant 2 is not going to work. As for the other concern you have, yes. You have to turn it on first for you to be able to use the intelligent flight modes and to be able to use the sports mode also.
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-27 03:48
No problem. Let me know if refreshing the firmware using DJI assistant 2 is not going to work. As for the other concern you have, yes. You have to turn it on first for you to be able to use the intelligent flight modes and to be able to use the sports mode also.

So the firmware is the current beta(Pano mode) which I want.

ver 0800.
I have not refreshed this, should I ?

And if so what are the steps please ?
Basically I do not want to go back to the default firmware and want to stay with 0800 (beta with pano).

Intelligent flight Modes
Right I see, so that might explain why it froze ?

So I will enable those/that.

2018-6-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Another thread on the issue is found here, made on P4P but the controller is the same.
Just noticed the above posts, you should not worry on the aircraft firmware but the controller/app one.
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-27 03:45
Are you sure it ask if you want to reboot?
Mine, also GL300E but controlling a P4P, has had a lot of the below crashes on latest firmware. Wait usually does nothing, Close sometimes get the App up running again but often just end in a black screen.

Hi
No you are right(it was early this morning), it was wait or close.

I just had a vision of the controller rebooting if I closed the app or as you say.

Thanks
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-27 03:59
Another thread on the issue is found here, made on P4P but the controller is the same.
Just noticed the above posts, you should not worry on the aircraft firmware but the controller/app one.

Thanks.

I still had manual control, but as you say the App had crashed/locked.

I will read the other thread now.
Also if it is the GO app on the controller, is it worth while updating the or reapplying the firmware, what is the best way to check or do this please ?

2018-6-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-6-27 03:52
So the firmware is the current beta(Pano mode) which I want.

[view_image]

I see. If that's the case, you no longer need to refresh the firmware. You can try to enable first the Intelligent flight mode then check everything if the same issue persists.
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-27 04:07
I see. If that's the case, you no longer need to refresh the firmware. You can try to enable first the Intelligent flight mode then check everything if the same issue persists.

Thanks - yes thats what I am thinking, else I could be chasing my tail for nothing.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

I'll be back!
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Joreto Posted at 2018-6-27 00:23
Hello KEJ

I will follow the thread, as I would like to go to the beta as well for the pano pictures, and I'm curious, if it was software or onetime event.

Joreto hi

I maybe because I never had the intelligent flight modes enabled - will try that first - see picture below
2018-6-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

KEJ Posted at 2018-6-27 04:07
Thanks.

I still had manual control, but as you say the App had crashed/locked.

I would like to see the firmware/app versions you have on the controller, for some reason it is a very old version they still have for download in the P4A section but it might have been updated over the network.

You could help the developers to locate the problems if you can generate a tombstones.zip and make available for DJI to retrieve. If i remember right it is found under Backup/restore in the device settings, called "Copy crashlog to SD" or something similar.
After this has been performed you would connect the controller to your computer and activate the USB connection by dragging down from the top and follow the prompts at the menu.
Now copy the tombstones.zip found in the root and place it somewhere DJI can get it, post the location to a Administrator in a PM.
2018-6-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-6-27 04:10
Thanks - yes thats what I am thinking, else I could be chasing my tail for nothing.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

You're welcome. Please let us know if you still need anything. We're here to help.
2018-6-27
Use props
Joreto
lvl.2
Bulgaria

KEJ Posted at 2018-6-27 04:12
Joreto hi

I maybe because I never had the intelligent flight modes enabled - will try that first - see picture below

KEJ,

Fingers cross, this resolves your issue!
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-27 04:56
You're welcome. Please let us know if you still need anything. We're here to help.

Thanks, will hopefully give it a try tomorrow - thanks everyone for comments and help
2018-6-27
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

+++ UPDATE +++
Took the drone out, with intelligent flight modes enabled.

All worked fine, no App crash or freeze.

Then tried POI and Active Track - all good.

So, I am (whilst early days) putting this down to trying to use Intelligent flight modes(IFM), when I had not initially enabled that option in the GO App.
If this is the case, then it would make sense as suggested, that either IFM is not accessable or a warning message appears.

RC
v01.04.01.00

App

Thanks again to everyone for their comments and suggestions and I will make further tests the next time I am out hopefully.

2018-6-28
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Joreto Posted at 2018-6-27 07:31
KEJ,

Fingers cross, this resolves your issue!

All good this morning!
2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-27 04:56

May i suggest that you report this to the developers, if really the solution to avoid the app crashes is to enable other modes the app should respond with a message not a crash if trying to use those modes.

I still would like to see what versions KEJ has installed.
2018-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules