P3 "Lemon"
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thedjiguy
lvl.1

United States

I am seeing that quite a few users have recieved their Phantom 3 broken or not working. Does this bother anyone else?
I wonder if some of them are false alarms due to the foam piece. Thoughts?

10 "Lemons" Reported

2015-5-17
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why should it bother anyone who didn't get a DOA one?
If they shipped 50,000 of them and a couple hundred are bad that's to be expected. That's why credit cards, paypal and amazon and most everyone else have return policies.

I guess I don't understand why it bothers you? You either accept that there is a very slight chance (with anything) of a "lemon" and deal with it or you decide it's not for you.
2015-5-17
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-18 08:29
Why should it bother anyone who didn't get a DOA one?
If they shipped 50,000 of them and a couple hu ...

I've been on a number of other forums for tech products. It's not common to see this number of problems straight out of the box. Yes, I'm sure that most peoples P3s are fine, but "most" isn't a great metric. It should be well beyond 99.9%

I think DJI have been in a rush to get this thing shipped and out before new competition. I can understand that, but there are corners that shouldn't be cut.
2015-5-17
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

lightpanther Posted at 2015-5-18 08:45
I've been on a number of other forums for tech products. It's not common to see this number of pro ...

During my working life I rubbed elbows with a lot of computer programmers and a lot of computer engineers (a distinctly different breed from the programmers!). It seemed there was a common philosophy among both groups - any piece of software is NEVER finished - there's always the possibility of another update/version.

Even if DJI though they had all the bases covered, with the huge volume they're delivering, it would be virtually impossible to have every one of them perform flawlessly.

I've had some minor problems with mine. The first road block was the android pilot app. Once that was figured out (without help from DJI - the help all came from this "user group"), the only problems I've had are finding some of the specific settings.

Like many, I didn't come here to complain - I came here to learn. When I purchase a new electronic product, I immediately scour the web to see if there's a forum(s), user group, etc. Someone will ultimately produce a FAQ, these days everyone and his/her brother will post something on YouTube and some of them are awesome.

I suspect we're not seeing more complaints because so many new owners are still busy out flying their new Phantoms! Bring on some more batteries so I can stay outside for a few more minutes!

I personally feel DJI released the product just a tad too early - were they rushing to beat 3DR, somebody else or just anxious? They seem to slowly be gathering momentum. I'll be tickled when someone eventually produces a printable set of docs for the Pilot app.
2015-5-18
Use props
apocnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Found mine to be awesomely awesome sauce. Just like every DJI product before it.

I've seen plenty of people have a cry about DJI being crap and their support being sub-par. Doesn't seem to stop them pre-ordering every latest DJI product release but ... ?  Strange...
2015-5-18
Use props
icopeland10
lvl.1

United States

apocnz@gmail.co Posted at 2015-5-19 00:32
Found mine to be awesomely awesome sauce. Just like every DJI product before it.

I've seen plenty ...

Mine was also quite awesomeful
2015-5-18
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

icopeland10@gma Posted at 2015-5-19 01:37
Mine was also quite awesomeful

I'm thoroughly hoping mine will be awesome. But the customer support side of things, in particular, needs heavy ironing out.
2015-5-18
Use props
apocnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A few notes from mine experience.

- Turn off VPS ... outdoors it's not much use and if it can't operate properly it'll just flick to ATTI and you'll be drifting
- Make sure you update firmware on both the P3 and the remote control
- Make sure you download the latest App version (for Android best bet is to grab it from the downloads section).

I went out and brought an Acer Iconia Tab 8. Worked beautifully, minimum lag and no issues so far.

Requests for DJI would be ...  

- add youtube streaming to the Android app (if you can without compromising it).

- disable tablet charging from the remote control ... too many different tablets/phones out there to able to predict how that pans out (didn't work so good for the Iconia),
or better yet, make it an option in the app (if possible).

Things I didn't like

- Took away the 0% throttle hold thingy (found in the v3 P2/P2v+)...  was handy when you want to catch it with one hand...
- No lens cap ....  just cheap? or didn't have the supply chain for it at launch?
- Firmware updates via sd card (and/or usb stick for the controller) ... seems like a step backwards...   in this day and age should be able to do OTA updates via the app .. (maybe a future feature?)
2015-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules