11844 3 2018-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schuffd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74990 ft
Ireland

Hello Friends,

i am new and defnitely not en expert with Drones or Video/Photo editing. But what i wonder since i have the Mavic Air is the difference of the quality between Jpg and DNG Files. See attachments.

In my opinion the jpg look far better but i always thought that the raw format is better in quality and information etc? Can someone please explain a little bit? I cant upload the original files so i took a screenshot but not edited or something, fresh from the SD card of the Mavic Air.
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 10.52.24 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 10.52.31 PM.jpg
2018-6-28
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

with the jpg pretty much what you see is what is there.  fine if you nailed the exposure and had the settings where you wanted, but not so great if you have a really important shot that needs to be touched up a bit.  the DNG, or adobe Digital NeGative is a lossless raw file, so it has recorded all of the data from the camera's sensor that could be captured.  If you have your capture set to jpg + raw, take a really underexposed or overexposed picture and try to bring them back to a normal exposure.  you might be able to get the jpg to where you can tell what's going on, but you'll have a lot of noise in the image.  with a raw file, you can make adjustments up to 2 stops in either direction in ideal conditions, and pretty much +- 1 stop without any trouble.  the +- here would be the Ev values shown in the Go4 app when you're flying.   

If you shoot in raw, it just gives you a lot more flexibility to make adjustments in post.  I have brought exposures up nearly 3 stops without completely destroying the image quality.  
2018-6-28
Use props
Schuffd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74990 ft
Ireland

Ok I see. But actually I was a bit shocked when I saw the different colors
2018-6-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Schuffd Posted at 2018-6-28 22:49
Ok I see. But actually I was a bit shocked when I saw the different colors

With RAW image files, you need to Develop images using programs like Lightroom to get full quality of images.

Auto adjust function in Lightroom works pretty good.  But best results come from comparing RAW image to what you see with your eyes, unless you have problems with color blindness.
Tweaking Exposure, Contrast, Blacks, Whites, Shadows, and  Highlights.  Along with making adjustments to Color Temperature (White  Balance) to compensate for Noon day cloudless light, Noon day cloudy  light, Morning light, Evening light, etc.

In regards to getting Color Temperature spot on, you need a Gray Card and Color Card.  You take pictures of cards prior to flying drone to capture current light.  You can then use known Gray card values and colors values to select correct Color Temperature for when pictures were taken.

2018-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules