Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to improve range in Europe with android phone?
2662 21 2018-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

I got Spark week ago and range is seriously disappointing, onlu 130 m with controller. It shows Wifi 5.8 GHz. I use Samsung S6 android phone. What can I do to increase that to about 300 m which would be enough for me?  DJI Go4 reports that I am on the latest SW as of now.
2018-6-29
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

First of all you need a Remote Controller to increase the Range.

Second in Europe I suggest you use OTG Cable, so you will use the 2.4GHz between Spark and RC.

Third here in Europe we use CE Mode which is Not Powerful vs FCC Mode.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read that in FCC mode there isnt so much difference between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz.

In CE mode there is a lot although the db Power Gap seems small its actually about x4 as much more in FCC.

DJI Spark range settings (taken from the DJI website):

2.412 – 2.462 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.3 mi (500 m)

5.745 – 5.825 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.18 mi (300 m)
If you have 1-13 Channels you are EC, if you have 1-11 Channels you are FCC mode. These are the 2.4GHz.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read also -

2.4GHz best for long distance as Wave is LONG WAVE (Long Distance Eg. Repeaters)
5.8GHz best for short distance as Wave is SHORT WAVE (Under 200m Range Eg. Indoor Wifi)

The other problem we have in EU is that 2.4GHz has a lot of traffic and the 5.8GHz is not supported a lot like in the US.

The transmitter power is the same for both. Antennas and encoding make the difference.

The specs say: Spark:

Transmitter Power (EIRP)        

2.4 GHz
FCC: ≤26 dBm; CE: ≤18 dBm; SRCC: ≤18 dBm; MIC: ≤18 dBm

5.8 GHz
FCC: ≤28 dBm; CE: ≤14 dBm; SRCC: ≤26 dBm; MIC: -

In the US in FCC Mode 2.4GHz is 26dBm and 5.8GHz is 28dBm, so practicly they can use any Wifi as power is the almost same. 5.8GHz is Stronger by 2dBm !

Here in Europe the 2.4GHz is 18dBm or less which is already rubbish, and the 5.8GHz is 14dBm or less which is a disaster ! Almost half power from US Specs in FCC Mode.

The dBm in CE is ridiculous !
The dBm between FCC and CE at 2.4GHz is 8dBm that makes a difference from EC - 500m to FCC - 2000m range.
The dBm between FCC and CE at 5.8GHz is 14dBm that makes a difference from EC - 300m to FCC - 2000m range.

2018-6-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-29 00:44

Second in Europe I suggest you use OTG Cable, so you will use the 2.4GHz between Spark and RC.

Great info mate!
2018-6-29
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

Thanks my DEAR Friend !

2018-6-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-29 01:08
Thanks my DEAR Friend !

Really detailed response mate - good effort!
2018-6-29
Use props
JimFandango
Second Officer
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

The OP says he has a controller. As usual, the only options to increase range in a CE country (i.e. not the USA) are:

1)  Switch the transmission frequency from 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz (got me about an extra 20m range);
2)  Try using parabolic reflectors (some people have reported some success, others not)
2018-6-29
Use props
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

JimFandango Posted at 2018-6-29 01:30
The OP says he has a controller. As usual, the only options to increase range in a CE country (i.e. not the USA) are:

1)  Switch the transmission frequency from 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz (got me about an extra 20m range);

Thanks all. I will try first the OTG cable in order to switch to 2.4 GHz. I will let you guys know if that works/helps once I get the cable.
2018-6-29
Use props
JimFandango
Second Officer
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

You can switch to 2.4ghz without a cable. I think the manual explains how.
2018-6-29
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JimFandango Posted at 2018-6-29 01:50
You can switch to 2.4ghz without a cable. I think the manual explains how.

Yes, but not always. (often not). Not all phones (iPhone can, have read that on this forum) can connect at the 5.8 band.
cheers
JJB
2018-6-29
Use props
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

JJBspark Posted at 2018-6-29 02:04
Yes, but not always. (often not). Not all phones (iPhone can, have read that on this forum) can connect at the 5.8 band.
cheers
JJB

I trid to change to 2.4 GHZ in app and it seems like it lets to do that.  But after Wifi restarted all connections were lost and I needed to setup connections again from scratch. I think Spark tries to use such 5.8 GHZ channels between phone and controller which are not allowed in Europe and thats why it fails. I have heard that IPhone works since it doesn't respect European regulations?
2018-6-29
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

you can change to 2.4 using old version 4.1.14 with wifi connection., Then update to 4.1.15 and use OTG.
2018-6-29
Use props
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

Jos A Posted at 2018-6-29 03:05
you can change to 2.4 using old version 4.1.14 with wifi connection., Then update to 4.1.15 and use OTG.

I got the the oTG cable now. I test it with 2 phones: Samsung S6 with Android 7.0:  I can connect with OTG and change channels to 2.4 GHz range with "custom" button. I didn't try to fly yet.  With My Samsung J5 with Android 5.1.1 I can connect with OTG but it doesn't show Wifi channels interference - just empty table. And I cannot change from 5.8 to 2.4.  I can choose channel with Custome button but nothing happens when I press apply.  I think I will stick to my Samsung S6 since J5 is old.  However I planned to use J5 only for Spark as it is factory reseted clean device.
2018-6-29
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

you have a PM
2018-6-29
Use props
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

Jari Lohja Posted at 2018-6-29 05:14
I got the the oTG cable now. I test it with 2 phones: Samsung S6 with Android 7.0:  I can connect with OTG and change channels to 2.4 GHz range with "custom" button. I didn't try to fly yet.  With My Samsung J5 with Android 5.1.1 I can connect with OTG but it doesn't show Wifi channels interference - just empty table. And I cannot change from 5.8 to 2.4.  I can choose channel with Custome button but nothing happens when I press apply.  I think I will stick to my Samsung S6 since J5 is old.  However I planned to use J5 only for Spark as it is factory reseted clean device.

Also with my S6 phone, when I connect the OTG cable it starts the DJI go app after about 5-10 sec. delay. I tried to disconnect and connect the cable back while in camera view. It took about 10 sec. to get the connection back. I hope it works when flying if cable disconnects accidently.

I tested also what happens if I power off/on RC and Spark while connected with otg cable. Connection  comes back only if you take out and plugin the cable to RC.
2018-6-29
Use props
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

Jari Lohja Posted at 2018-6-29 05:40
Also with my S6 phone, when I connect the OTG cable it starts the DJI go app after about 5-10 sec. delay. I tried to disconnect and connect the cable back while in camera view. It took about 10 sec. to get the connection back. I hope it works when flying if cable disconnects accidently.

I tested also what happens if I power off/on RC and Spark while connected with otg cable. Connection  comes back only if you take out and plugin the cable to RC.

one more thing. I disconnected and powered off spark and RC and then powered them on again and waited green light in controller. then OTG cable and DJI GO4 app started. It actually remembered the same 2,4 GHz channel (5) that I chose earlier. Great.
2018-6-29
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

Jari Lohja Posted at 2018-6-29 05:50
one more thing. I disconnected and powered off spark and RC and then powered them on again and waited green light in controller. then OTG cable and DJI GO4 app started. It actually remembered the same 2,4 GHz channel (5) that I chose earlier. Great.

Welldone Jari !

2018-6-29
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

"How to improve range in Europe with android phone?"
I found this very interesting https://nolimitdronez.com
If you want a super Spark, with FCC, mavic flightmodes(inc waypoints flight) and many more.
2018-6-29
Use props
munchausen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 890217 ft
Norway

Though I'm not flying more than 3-400m, I find my connection really great only by setting to FCC once by fakeGPS, so I don't need extra gadgets to carry, no OTG, no mod apps, no hacked FW.
2018-6-29
Use props
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

munchausen Posted at 2018-6-29 07:46
Though I'm not flying more than 3-400m, I find my connection really great only by setting to FCC once by fakeGPS, so I don't need extra gadgets to carry, no OTG, no mod apps, no hacked FW.

How did you set to FCC  by fakeGPS? Was it android? what version of DJI Go4?
2018-6-29
Use props
munchausen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 890217 ft
Norway

Jari Lohja Posted at 2018-6-29 08:24
How did you set to FCC  by fakeGPS? Was it android? what version of DJI Go4?

Yes android. Google how to enable developer settings on android (something like many taps on sw version in "about phone"). Then you enable mock location. Download fake GPS, set your position, launch DJI GO 4. Connect AC, RC, app. App tells you that you are in USA (well, if you set so), so switch WLAN settings to FCC. Disconnect everything, kill fakeGPS. Launch everything again, app tells you are in EC are so you should switch WLAN settings -> don't. Never anymore.
2018-6-29
Use props
Jari Lohja
lvl.1
Finland

munchausen Posted at 2018-6-29 08:53
Yes android. Google how to enable developer settings on android (something like many taps on sw version in "about phone"). Then you enable mock location. Download fake GPS, set your position, launch DJI GO 4. Connect AC, RC, app. App tells you that you are in USA (well, if you set so), so switch WLAN settings to FCC. Disconnect everything, kill fakeGPS. Launch everything again, app tells you are in EC are so you should switch WLAN settings -> don't. Never anymore.

Thanks. Lets see if I ever need FCC.  My first test flight today with OTG cable and 2.4 GHz was much better than pure Wifi and 5.8 GHZ. Now it was possible to fly 300 m without any low signal warnings or video lag. I didn't push it further because it was quite windy and anyway hard to see small Spark beyond 300 m. Anyway now it feels more usable.
2018-6-29
Use props
fans1034d00e
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-29 00:44

Thanks for the info regarding the different regions (US and Europe).
2019-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules