Is anyone else bored
12Next >
3989 62 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8163 ft

I’ve lost interest and can’t get motivated into flying anymore,  I suppose I’m lucky living in the Northumberland area but I always seem to head to the same area it’s either the beach or ruin/castles, I do have concerns with flying when there’s members of the public around for obvious reasons. & not confident at all flying over water. I just can’t think of anywhere where there’s gonna be small number of people around with easy access & easy flying with no or very little obstructions.
I was out yesterday to an area I’m familiar with on the Northumberland coastline with no one around, I set up the drone and flew in a straight line & back then thought to my self this just isn’t thrilling exciting or anything, and packed up & headed back home. Is this a sign it’s time to sell.
Has anyone got similar issues, or any advice on new areas to try out locally,
2018-6-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Don't despair. Every hobby has its doldrums and peaks.  Maybe you've done so much recently you're a bit over-faced with it all.  Leave it alone for a while ( maintaining the batteries, of course) and I'm sure new inspiration will motivate you before long
2018-6-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, take a little break from it then check out YT, google maps etc and find some other locations. Or trade the drone in for something new with different features - I bought the Mavic Air fly more a couple of months ago and have flown it over 80 times and look forward to flying it each time. I've taken it to places I would not even consider flying a Phantom.  But yes, it can get boring - especially flying in the same way at the same locations.
2018-6-30
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-30 01:59
Don't despair. Every hobby has its doldrums and peaks.  Maybe you've done so much recently you're a bit over-faced with it all.  Leave it alone for a while ( maintaining the batteries, of course) and I'm sure new inspiration will motivate you before long

I hope so, just keep looking at everyone’s videos and think they’re all good & interesting enough to watch until the end, mine are ok for maybe 10 seconds maximum
2018-6-30
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

2018-6-30
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

2018-6-30
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

A CW Posted at 2018-6-30 02:08
Yeah, take a little break from it then check out YT, google maps etc and find some other locations. Or trade the drone in for something new with different features - I bought the Mavic Air fly more a couple of months ago and have flown it over 80 times and look forward to flying it each time. I've taken it to places I would not even consider flying a Phantom.  But yes, it can get boring - especially flying in the same way at the same locations.

I did look at the mavic air & thought it would open up more options rather than having to carry the big bulky phantom this would store easily & if I see anything of interest it’ll be there ready to go
2018-6-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tony Dodds 1 Posted at 2018-6-30 02:19
I did look at the mavic air & thought it would open up more options rather than having to carry the big bulky phantom this would store easily & if I see anything of interest it’ll be there ready to go

That's exactly what it does mate. The image quality is excellent, the horizons are always straight, I've got 1.3miles with no signal loss in a CE area, 44MPH and it's great fun to fly packed with loads of features and the entire fly more combo kit fits in a bag that the P4 RC alone wouldn't fit in. There are pro's and con's to all drones but I've really taken to the MA and can't imagine going back to a Phantom now. Sold my P4P and MPP.
2018-6-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Boring ? YES !  I have plenty of places to fly ... beaches ... rivers ... harbours .... fields .... but to be honest - it's one of the most boring flying models ever.

Now I fly it maybe 1 - 2x a week but main flights are when I am making video / shots of model meetings / fly-ins / shows as it gives a different view to your normal camera. Otherwise it sits there waiting next event.

I have to admit that I fly many other different types of models ... fixed and rotor. They give adrenaline rush which makes the P3 seem uninteresting, where it really does not any real skill to fly it.

I agree that skill is needed to get a good video / shots though - something I am not so good at ... but flying it ?

There are over 10 DJI P3's in our small club. Some have even bought Mavic's and Sparks as well ... and its interesting that I am about the only one left that actually regularly carries their DJI to meetings anymore.

Nigel
2018-6-30
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Find a nudist beach. Maybe that will reignite your interest.
2018-6-30
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I can understand as I have been there too. I cannot travel far so I am reduced to flying in much the same place a lot of the time. How do I cope? Well I have been trying different things with my P4Pro and P3Pro. I always run through the exercises I did for the PfCO to keep those skills honed. I also try very slow flying, especially following dried up river beds or paths. I have also started taking images with an HD picture in mind, this uses a different skill set, and I am also going to start looking at using moving pictures too.  On top of that I am taking pictures at very low level, below eye or even belt level, for the skill and for the cat it is the only way I can do it. I have also bought a racing drone, not because I want to race, but there is a whole different skills level and involvement too. It has also inspired me to get out my helicopters and aircraft to fly them again.
Do take some out as others have suggested and be excited to come back and try all sorts of new things.
2018-6-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-30 03:51

That will keep him interested in flying for a long while
2018-6-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

So I mostly fly at home and Yes sometimes it does look like it is the same scenery but to keep me on the edge and excited I always like to do distance flying, take a risk and push the drones limits. Keeps the blood pumping and keeps you on the edge. I am always looking for ways to push the limits on my Drone and I guess this is what keeps me interested in Flying.
2018-6-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

At times - I will fly in the trees I have in the park area of my ground ... with odd between V of branches.

I used to get a kick out of pushing the distance bit .. but it got boring once I hit 5km's waiting for it to come back.

During Flying Meetings - I try to get up high and to side of the aerobatic and 3D guys .. see if I can follow them - but its VERY VERY difficult ... lot of wasted video on that ... but it gives a spike to the flying of the P.

I keep meaning to drag out my 450 FPV Quad ...

Nigel
2018-6-30
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tony Dodds 1 Posted at 2018-6-30 02:19

I'm sure you'll find that to be the case. I have both, and the Phantom is taking a back seat to the Mavic. Everything fits in a small case that looks like a DSLR camera case. I carry 4 batteries in it and take it everywhere. Today I had it on a job site and took aerial pictures for the owner of a nearby business that saw me flying. So, you can make new friends too.

Jeff
2018-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It’s best to have several or even numerous hobbies.
I enjoy archery/bowhunting, killer instinct. Love playing music and listening as well.  My leather hobbies carving/tooling, stitching hand sewing and lacing.
DSLR photography, with my Nikon D800 mounted to a 80-400mm lens, for “bird” watching,~bikini bingo... haha
RYding my SpYder RS-S is a joy.

Heck even surfing the web and or enjoying numerous YouTube and Vimeo videos.
Not to mention, no Not even going there, you know?! Smirk.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I seriously like your pics. Really gorgeous scenery.

Thanks for sharing them with us, in the forum.

I hope you get your drone mojo back, good feelings.

Ebay is always available too... not!!

RedHotPoker

2018-6-30
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-30 09:47
I seriously like your pics. Really gorgeous scenery.

Thanks for sharing them with us, in the forum.

Forced myself today videoing some tractors hay bales etc
Was a bit boring toward the end
2018-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Tony Dodds 1 Posted at 2018-6-30 10:24
Forced myself today videoing some tractors hay bales etc
Was a bit boring toward the end

Post those new videos or pics, for our enjoyment.
Put the flight kit away for a bit..
Nothing wrong with taking a welcomed break. No shame.

Just don’t let her collect dust. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2018-6-30
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

He, He - that's a good one :-)

2018-6-30
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome suggestion.
2018-6-30
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can see where you are coming from. I think this is completely natural and happens with all hobbies. I think the trick might be to challenge yourself to do something different in the same area.

Maybe try shooting at sunset/sunrise. Pick and a subject and focus on flying around that trying to get some unique perspectives. Maybe work on editing your videos to give them a different feel and look. Maybe work on planing specific flying trips within your area and do research on what to shot, the area, subject matter and so on.

Like others have mentioned, take a break or try a new bird. Hope we have helped in some way.
2018-6-30
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-30 11:34
He, He - that's a good one :-)

[view_image]

Hahaha doesnt mention no drones  
2018-6-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A lot of it will stem from the laws and rules and the public, if i could take off from my back garden and fly to maccy D with my order, it would be flown every day actually, its my dogs that limit my flying, i cannot take them with me and i cannot leave them longer than 4 hours, 2 are puppy farm rescues and have issues... but i am hoping to get to the beach with the dogs before the kids finish for the summer, so will deffo take the drone with me, just need a day when it snot too hot now lol
2018-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-30 20:58
A lot of it will stem from the laws and rules and the public, if i could take off from my back garden and fly to maccy D with my order, it would be flown every day  actually, its my dogs that limit my flying, i cannot take them with me and i cannot leave them longer than 4 hours, 2 are puppy farm rescues and have issues... but i am hoping to get to the beach with the dogs before the kids finish for the summer, so will deffo take the drone with me, just need a day when it snot too hot now lol

Thanks for rescuing those k9’s as they needed your help.  Good on you.

Rewards are often small, but the love they give back will be ten fold.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-30
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
United Arab Emirates

Think of a story to tell in your footage. Flying for the sake of flying can get boring.  I am new to flying but have been in to photography for a while.  I have similar experience related to photography.  
2018-6-30
Use props
FredAstra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

And don't forget to post the pictures here :-)
2018-7-1
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Aanother thought. Get someone to place a ball out in the flying area and try and locate it with your drone. Helpful if you ever need to assist Search and rescue.
2018-7-1
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

First thing to ask your self, what was the drive in the first place? Was it the flying itself, shooting photos or filming videos.

If it was the flying, then the Phantom is quite boring and perhaps adding a cheap 3D racing quad could cheer you up, even this possibly only would last for some time too if you're alone about it. Look out for some fellow droners and make it out a fun on challenging each other.

Was it the Photo and Filming then realize that this like anything come up in us and leave again in waves, no need to feel sad by not have the urge to get out every day or even once a week, go out when it comes to you and don't press yourself to go out just to get out.
Go over your material, figure out some ways to challenge what you already have, find a nice motive and retake it from straight above, from close up, on different times when the light has changed. Then at a later time enjoy figuring out how to connect those different results to something that still bind it together by making up slideshow, fades and morphs, do the same using only morning shots/clips, only evening shots/clips etc.
Again it would help if you could find someone else to share the interest with, not like in here but in real, it don't need to be flying fellows, just some photo/film shooting ones, challenge each other to do certain tasks/motive types and so on.

Don't sell your equipment, if you have had the bite, one day it will bite again and then it die if you first have to look out for new equipment. Just remember to maintain your batteries if all get laid on the shelf for a very long time and make sure your app don't update so you know what you will be working when it hit.

Just my suggestions.
2018-7-1
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft

DJI  has done a gr8 job of taking all the tech aspects of flying and filming and made things very easy for photographers.  With all the options like tap and fly,  active track etc  all you need to worry about is getting that perfect shot or vid.
Flying is meant to be the easy part.  Setting up exposure and shooting angles is the challenge.
Flying these drones is supposed to be......unchallenging.   getting the shot is what it's all about.
My P-4 is also fun to fly if I'm not shooting a vid or photo but nothing like other high performance  drones. (VPV race drones )
It helps to have a script to follow.  Know what you want before you get there.  Use the features that are in DJI drones to make the shot you really want.
If you just head out hoping to get something gr8 usually fails.
It's all about the shot......not the drone.
I've had just about all my neighbors ask me to shoot some vid of their kids playing and riding their bikes etc.
I've had request to vid capture neighbors houses and yards.
Forget the drone part and concentrate on vid/photos.

Compared to an R/C heli with FPV sys onboard the DJI sys can't be beat.  I will someday have a race drone but prob will not race but just have fun chasing dogs around

Worse things happen @ sea

To often we go out hoping to find something real cool to capture but it's rare that you will come across something real cool to capture.

Planning and executing the shot you are after is the challenge.  
2018-7-1
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

I was getting a little bored because I don't have a lot of opportunity to go very far from home for a change of scenery, however I look for sunrises and sunsets and the occasional "News Story" that could happen near my home, like just last week we had, just 2 blocks down the tracks from my house a coal train derailment where 20 cars made a HUGE mess.  I was flying over the site within 30 min of it happening to take some pics and vid that the local news stations used on their stories.  Then documented the cleanup for a couple days after while they put the tracks back together...
   That kind of thing, while I really don't HOPE to happen, happens and renews my vigor in the drone flying process..

2018-7-1
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

Dude...….This was a dream come true for drone piolets.    Savor the moment.
Coal trains are a hot topic in Washington state...
If you were here you would have cop's, NTSB and some other folks asking for that vid as well.
Some people have all the luck.   
GR8 scoop.  GR8 example of what can go right when you are out walking your pet drone  
2018-7-1
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

2018-7-1
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

Definitely need some practice but happy I gave it a go
2018-7-1
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

2018-7-1
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

Please excuse the annoying music
2018-7-1
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

Music was GR8   Way cool farm vid.    I watched about 1/3 of  Sun set vid.....but the farm an tractors was really cool.
I think  that for me, the fact that you stayed on subject mad this one way cool.
Loved it
2018-7-1
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

If you are only able to fly in one or two locations then set yourself a different task each time you go out. The tasks can be using each of the different Intelligent Flight Modes until you are familiar with them and how each works. Other things you can do is take videos or pictures of the same area with different camera settings and then do a comparison when you get back home to see what works the best. Many of these can be time consuming so will fill in lots of flying time and if you happen to go somewhere else, you will be familiar with the settings needed to get the best out of the new location.
2018-7-1
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3

Lots of good advice from all of you
I think I’ve made up my mind on getting a mavic
Unsure which model yet
It will probably get me out more, I have realised over this weekend, one of my biggest concerns is flying in built up areas where a lot of people also like to go, & I’ve never taken my phantom too far away or too high so in reality my skills havnt really progressed far from beginner
2018-7-1
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Both scenes from those clips would be great for further practice on both the flying and shooting skills, they both seemed a little to dark to me.

The angel, practice flying around while going up and/or down making a spiral flight pattern, keep the camera aimed at the cross section when high enough to avoid the props. specially in a lightning like the one you have here it will challenge the lightning settings a lot. Do some flights from low at a distance slowly entering while rising so you just pass above centered, try the same just beside the center passing close to the cross section.

The Field, do more flying, you was very stationary in the clips, follow the tractor at fixed distance from different angles, i missed you being on the side, low, following by flying sideways, likewise being in front flying backwards at same pace. From above was a great scene but again i would have liked to see you follow more before the tractor was stuck to the top and left the frame.

Happy flying.
2018-7-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules