Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[CRITICAL] RTH during Gesture Mode / Follow is insanely dangerous!
Home / MAVIC /
1655 8 2018-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PiVoR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158845 ft
Poland

So i took my MA for a "walk" like my pet, Gesture Control / Tracking is super fun and makes Aircraft to act as your personal camera operator but there is one major flaw..
..when battery was getting close to 20% i was thinking its fine, i will just land it myself, but at 20% MA engaged RTH and launched itself into the air! I almost had hearth attack, thank god there where no trees around cause it would crash right into them!

I think it should be switched (is it even possible?) to something else, like Hover by default cause since MA have no sensors for whats above it, its insanely dangerous! Especially if you fly it with no controller at all (Gesture Mode from begining by double clicking rear button).

Please take a look at this issue!
2018-7-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for bringing this concern to us and I do apologize if you had an issue with your DJI Mavic Air. May I ask what is the mobile device you are using to run the app?
2018-7-1
Use props
PiVoR
Second Officer
Poland

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-1 03:46
Hi thanks for bringing this concern to us and I do apologize if you had an issue with your DJI Mavic Air. May I ask what is the mobile device you are using to run the app?

Huawei P20 Pro
2018-7-1
Use props
Canefan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 88074 ft

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-1 03:46

If you read the OP, he wasn't using a mobile device at all.  He was using gesture mode.
2018-7-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Canefan Posted at 2018-7-1 03:53
If you read the OP, he wasn't using a mobile device at all.  He was using gesture mode.

Hi,  I understand  he is on the gesture mode. I'm asking that for us to verify because it may cause some errors if he is using an incompatible device since day one. Thank you.
2018-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A couple of things, how did you know if it was at 20%, RTH is the responsibility of the pilot to set in his app , and what it does is determined by him, you don’t say how far you were from homepoint, also if for instance you are flying under cover of trees then it’s likely it will be to dark for gesture mode to work correctly for obvious reasons.
Gesture mode works with two modes opti and gps so RTH will be the same as normal flying conditions. In the event of loosing subject it will fly to last lock location and if it still can not locate subject it will just land.

So I would have to say the dangerous part was due to you not being aware of what was going to happen and you still let it happen.

Regarding landing yes it has some merit, but it would need to be an option, like land or RTH , because if using over valley or water you may not want it to land.

I don’t believe RTH hover is an option, it is not an option in normal RTH for some obvious reasons. You should also remember that using landing as an option would also require pilot to change this option when normally flying with RC, otherwise we would have many more problems.
2018-7-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

You should take the time to make yourself familiar with your aircraft. Of course you can set the RTH height and this should be an essential part of your pre flight checks to set RTH height to a suitable value depending on your flight environment. Thus in your case not the aircraft is critical, but the pilot (this is meant as a friendly joke, please don't take it wrong)
2018-7-1
Use props
PiVoR
Second Officer
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-1 04:24
A couple of things, how did you know if it was at 20%, RTH is the responsibility of the pilot to set in his app , and what it does is determined by him, you don’t say how far you were from homepoint, also if for instance you are flying under cover of trees then it’s likely it will be to dark for gesture mode to work correctly for obvious reasons.
Gesture mode works with two modes opti and gps so RTH will be the same as normal flying conditions. In the event of loosing subject it will fly to last lock location and if it still can not locate subject it will just land.

I wasnt confident to let Mavic fly totally on its own, i had it connected to my mobile for safety, when it engaged RTH i flew it back to me with an app.

Regarding Home point, i had to update it like every 30 meters cause Aircraft just stops and cant go any further cause of the limit (maybe theres an option to keep Home Point always updated on RC/mobile?).

Anyway, i wonder how it works if you dont use any control at all (No RC or Mobile),  does Home Point sets upon lifting up and stays on one place all the time?

Please consider updating features regarding Gesture Control / Tracking, its funniest thing i ever seen and one of the best things about Mavic Air =).
2018-7-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

PiVoR Posted at 2018-7-1 04:34
I wasnt confident to let Mavic fly totally on its own, i had it connected to my mobile for safety, when it engaged RTH i flew it back to me with an app.

Regarding Home point, i had to update it like every 30 meters cause Aircraft just stops and cant go any further cause of the limit (maybe theres an option to keep Home Point always updated on RC/mobile?).

Please take the time to read the manual carefully two times to start with and a few more times thereafter. Please do us this favour, do we have a deal? ;-) https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20v1.2.pdf
2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules