DJI Osmo Mobile 2 - External mic, I found a solution (at least mine)
4745 3 2018-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_K5kI1Gm1RICf
lvl.2
  • >>>

Phone is Samsung S8+

So I just recently got this toy for my Facebook Live mobile videos and I was about to return it simply because there was no way to hook up an ext mic. I know that this is a very hot topic because this gimbal is selling very well and many want to hook up an ext mic to it but haven't found a way. I didn't want to deal with an L bracket and I had to record in real time so I did some experimenting and this works perfect!

I decided to try out my Rode Video Micro with just a 1" velcro strap that I had laying around from one of my camera bags. Wrap the strap as tight as it goes around the entire mic mount and with the mic hanging upside down so it can't fall off. It stays and it works! As you can see the phone is balanced and from my testing as long as you don't drop the thing or do crazy fast 1080 turns, the mic stays in place so that it doesn't throw the gimbal off balance. The key is to have the 3.5mm jack facing downwards so it allows enough slack from the mic to the jack and it doesn't put any weight on the gimbal.

I am left handed, so when you are carrying this thing, the tips of your index finger will be able to press on the mount of the mic to give it extra support if needed, Surprisingly doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. Obviously if you are right handed then you would have the mic on the other side.

I didn't even have to rebalance the phone after because the mic is not adding any addittional weight.

Try it out! I am shocked how well it works. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and for me I use this professional for mobile FB live videos so onboard mic just wasn't going to cut it. 80% of good video is good audio.

2018-7-1
Use props
djiuser_K5kI1Gm1RICf
lvl.2
  • >>>

On the side of the mount that you choose to wrap to the handle, you have to have the flat side of the mount pressed against the frontside of the gimbal handle and after you strap it, it is solid. It doesn't go anywhere and stays in position.
2018-7-1
Use props
djiuser_K5kI1Gm1RICf
lvl.2
  • >>>

Here is another view with the dead cat off.  
2018-7-1
Use props
rising4air
New

United States

THANK YOU! I've wondered whether this gimbal was worth the money, i.e., if you only get great video, why do all the extra work of improving audio? If the editing would work at all? This work-around is exactly the solution! Thanks!
2019-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules