The Guide to Long Exposure shots creating motion Blur
4380 36 2018-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I have seen a lot of interest in this as of late so have decided to do a guide on how to create some very nice and interesting shots with motion blur.  The idea here is to capture something that is in motion creating a moving effect.  This is mostly done with flowing water as it creates a smooth, silky water effect.  If you have taken a shot at night where your exposure is high and captured a moving car then you will see this effect as the car will have a blur streak to it while the non moving objects in the image are still.  This is because the amount of time the shutter has to remain open in order to allow the light in.  So the longer the shutter is open to allow more light in it gives moving objects the effect of blur.  What is very challening about this is your AC needs to remain as still as possible to keep the entire image from being blurry.  So here is what you need in order to have a sucesful motion blur image.

1.  Location.  Find a good stream/ocean/river something with flowing water that you will be able to capture the blur effect.  Water is of course the most common long exposure shots.
2.  A very strong typically a 10 stop ND1000 filter for any daytime long exposure shots.  I have and really like the Freewell but PolarPro also makes one for the MP and MA.  

3.  Very little to no wind.  If it is windy you will not get any usable images as I explained why you need the AC to remain still for the 1 to 3 seconds while you take the long exposure shot.

4.  A lot of luck and patience.  It is very challenging and you will get frustrated to go home and find none of the images are usable.  

5.  Manual settings/Exposure/ISO 100.  This is an absolute must as you have to set the exposure to be between 1" to 3" in order to get the blur effect.  The longer the exposure the more blur you will get but is also more difficult to get the longer the exposure.  I ensure my EV is anywhere between 0 to -0.7.   With a ND1000 filter that is typically between 1.2" to 2" exposure.  maybe more as it depends on how bright it is outside

6.  Less than 10% of the photos turn out.  So best way is to get to the spot you want the image.  Put in sports mode as this ensures the most stable and hover.  Then ensure you set the file format to JPG.  The reason you do not want RAW is because you can only take a timed shot every 5 seconds.  Changing to jpg format you can take a photo as fast as every 2 seconds but keep in mind if your exposure is 1.8" or higher you can only do a timed shot for every 3 seconds.  

7.  Set your timed shot and let it take a shot every 2-3 seconds for at least a couple minutes.  This will ensure you having a higher chance of having a decent shot out of the batch.

8.  Practice practice practice.  Do not get frustrated as I said you will have many more failures than succeses.  The more practice you do the better you will get it at.  Well I hope this guide was helpful please comment below for any questions or if you enjoyed.  

Here are some shots that are possible using this method.  Notice the silky water.  This only possible using long exposure.

2018-7-1
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I am first to say thanks for the Guide. I will add it to my file on helpful tips.
Once again the shots are great. Thanks!
2018-7-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's an awesome guide mate - really comprehensive. I am waiting for polar pro to offer their new exposure range of ND's on Amazon UK (ND 128, 256 and 1000).
2018-7-1
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

SB, Thank you very much.  Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.  And the photos.  You guys are going to make me a good photographer!
2018-7-1
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Thanks for all this Information ! Really Useful !
2018-7-1
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Great shots!
Thanks for the guide!
2018-7-3
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Glad you are finding this helpful.  Hope to see your long exposure shots as well.  
2018-7-3
Use props
Rafi_m
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328957 ft
United States

Thank you so much for the knowledge. just one doubt. for the AC to be stable do you suggest sports mode than tripod mode?
2018-7-3
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
United States

excellent!

2018-7-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Rafi_m Posted at 2018-7-3 22:34
Thank you so much for the knowledge. just one doubt. for the AC to be stable do you suggest sports mode than tripod mode?

That is correct.   Tripod mode is only good if you are trying to fly slow as it gives you good stable slow speed.  However if just trying to hover sports mode is best and I will explain.

When in sports mode this of course lets you go the fastest but at the same time it also has to be able to react better to stops/turns/wind/ect.  So if say a sudden gust of wind comes being in sports mode it will correct itself the fastest compared to any other mode.  So because of this it is also best to put in sports mode if looking for the most stable hover.  A friend of mine that does time lapses passed this knowledge on to me a while ago.  
2018-7-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Congrats on digest
2018-7-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-7-4 05:25
Congrats on digest

Thanks buddy
2018-7-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very good info!
2018-7-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Thank you my friend.  Went back to the truckee river today but no train this time
2018-7-4
Use props
Rafi_m
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328957 ft
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-4 05:20
That is correct.   Tripod mode is only good if you are trying to fly slow as it gives you good stable slow speed.  However if just trying to hover sports mode is best and I will explain.

When in sports mode this of course lets you go the fastest but at the same time it also has to be able to react better to stops/turns/wind/ect.  So if say a sudden gust of wind comes being in sports mode it will correct itself the fastest compared to any other mode.  So because of this it is also best to put in sports mode if looking for the most stable hover.  A friend of mine that does time lapses passed this knowledge on to me a while ago.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will try this one
2018-7-5
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great tutorial. Thank you.
2018-7-9
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-7-9 06:41
Great tutorial. Thank you.

My pleasure.
2018-7-9
Use props
lwa11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123898 ft
United States

very cool. thank you for sharing this information.
2018-7-11
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489446 ft
United States

i like what you got, nice and clean, good work!
2018-7-12
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

lwa11 Posted at 2018-7-11 06:21
very cool. thank you for sharing this information.

Thank you for taking a look.  Hope it helps.
2018-7-12
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

John Mclaughlin 7 Posted at 2018-7-12 16:43
i like what you got, nice and clean, good work!

Thank you very much John.  Hope the guide helps and inspires others to get these long exposure shots.
2018-7-12
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Wanted to add some additional long exposure shots I took this last weekend I posted in another thread.

2018-7-12
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Thanks for the tips, did not know about sport mode and stable hovering. I saw on Freewell website they have a ND 2000 available as well. I often do long exposures with my DSLR, and one of the problems encountered is the loss of detail and blown out whites at times. A fine line between a silky smooth exposure, and too bright whites.
Your first image is perfectly exposed.
Anyone have the ND 2000?
2018-7-12
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

I have to add, it is a lot better with a DSLR, as it can be mounted it on a tripod. With the drone it is, as you say, practice, and a whole lot of luck, weather and wind wise, to get a good exposure.
2018-7-12
Use props
dronto
lvl.4

Thank you for very thorough tutorial and sharing
2018-7-13
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-7-12 23:38
Thanks for the tips, did not know about sport mode and stable hovering. I saw on Freewell website they have a ND 2000 available as well. I often do long exposures with my DSLR, and one of the problems encountered is the loss of detail and blown out whites at times. A fine line between a silky smooth exposure, and too bright whites.
Your first image is perfectly exposed.
Anyone have the ND 2000?

The ND2000 I have only seen Drone Supremecy use it and did a YT tutiroal on it.  They only make it for the MA currently not the MP.  I believe only PolarPro and Freewell make them.  I asked and they said if they get enough interest will make for the MP but figure they will not since the MA is newer.  
2018-7-13
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-7-12 23:42
I have to add, it is a lot better with a DSLR, as it can be mounted it on a tripod. With the drone it is, as you say, practice, and a whole lot of luck, weather and wind wise, to get a good exposure.

For sure would be better with DSLR since will always be stable.  However can only get certain shots airborne of course.  Is why I do not see how it would be possible for a 4" exposure say using a ND2000 as most certainly there will be some kind of movement.  I figure ND1000 is just great as usually the exposure is 1.4" to 2".
2018-7-13
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

dronto Posted at 2018-7-13 03:37
Thank you for very thorough tutorial and sharing

Thank you for checking it out
2018-7-13
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

For sure would be better with DSLR since will always be stable.  However can only get certain shots airborne of course.  Is why I do not see how it would be possible for a 4" exposure say using a ND2000 as most certainly there will be some kind of movement.  I figure ND1000 is just great as usually the exposure is 1.4" to 2".

Agree. Was wondering, as i got the Long exposure pack, ND 256, 9 stops, and even in bright South African sunlight conditions, i did not get a tack sharp long exposure with the Mavic Air. Pity i updated the firmware to 0.400 just after receiving the filters, so now i have a MA in the DJI repair shop, and not at home..........
2018-7-13
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327096 ft
Canada

Thank you for another project for me to try, and the great idea of putting it all together.
2018-7-13
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-7-13 08:18
For sure would be better with DSLR since will always be stable.  However can only get certain shots airborne of course.  Is why I do not see how it would be possible for a 4" exposure say using a ND2000 as most certainly there will be some kind of movement.  I figure ND1000 is just great as usually the exposure is 1.4" to 2".

Agree. Was wondering, as i got the Long exposure pack, ND 256, 9 stops, and even in bright South African sunlight conditions, i did not get a tack sharp long exposure with the Mavic Air. Pity i updated the firmware to 0.400 just after receiving the filters, so now i have a MA in the DJI repair shop, and not at home..........

Oh no sorry to hear what happened to the MA why is it getting repaired?
2018-7-13
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Was a nippy little bomb of a drone, no problems, and then i "infected" it with the latest firmware...0.400. So far DJI Cape Town can,t fix it, so waiting for it to go to China, and be replaced or fixed.......
2018-7-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-7-14 13:24
Was a nippy little bomb of a drone, no problems, and then i "infected" it with the latest firmware...0.400. So far DJI Cape Town can,t fix it, so waiting for it to go to China, and be replaced or fixed.......

Sorry to hear I hope you get it fixed and are back in the air soon
2018-7-14
Use props
Dexter.Zed
lvl.3

Philippines

wowww very nice shot great job!!!!!!
2018-7-27
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer