8940 26 2018-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I have not had a gimbal reset for quite a while. But yesterday morning I took it up for a flight in the heat/humidity and also had removed my PolarPro ND Filter; ended up with a gimbal reset that initiated me to hit that RTH button. Now, there was no panic or real concern because I knew what was going on so it was very non dramatic. I did the advice that I have given others on these forums... land, recenter gimbal 2 times and calibrate. This worked fine until I decided to put the ND filter back on... had another occurance along with some "twitches". ~ Did the recenter / gimbal calibrate and we are good to go again. Would like to hear from others what their experiences have been; I have heard of pilots swapping out the ribbon cable and even as far as sending it back to DJI for repair with no resolution. My thinking and experience has been some sort of weight/balance calculation the calibration does and when you add or remove weigth from the camera lens, it shifts the weight. Perhaps the sensor it too sensitive, the chip that controls the calibration has a defect or it simply "is what it is". It seems like this should be updated by firmware but since the camera sensor may be independant... perhaps it is just something pilots need to be aware of and educated on how to handle it.

Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!  

Single SelectVote, Total 51 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use to have them but very rarely - 2 times in a year.
2018-7-2
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 02:46

Do you use ND filter? Maybe try taking it off/on and prepare for one... move the gimbal around and hit the focus as you are recording. This seems to trigger it.

!! Be sure you have 11+ sat links and Home point is recorded before testing !!

2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-7-2 02:51
Do you use ND filter? Maybe trying taking it off/on and prepare for one... move the gimbal around and hit the focus as you are recording. This seems to trigger it.
!! Be sure you have 11+ sat links and Home point is recorded. !!

Not on one of the occasions - I remember reading that it was somehow connected to the micro SD card
2018-7-2
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 02:52
Not on one of the occasions - I remember reading that it was somehow connected to the micro SD card

Micro SD card... hmm. VERY interesting. I have been using Samsung EVO Plus 64GB microSDXC UHSI.

Do you have any further info on this?
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-7-2 02:56
Micro SD card... hmm. VERY interesting. I have been using Samsung EVO Plus 64GB microSDXC UHSI.

Do you have any further info on this?

It was a long time ago - I was using a sony SD card and after upgrading to a SanDisk Extreme Pro it never happened again on any of my Mavic's. Some put it down to a defective gimbal (hardware) others firmware at the time. Changing the SD card to one of the best out there worked for me. It's never happened on my MA in nearly 100 flights.  
2018-7-2
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just ordered a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro. Will give it a try. Thanks!
Yeah I do not think it a ribbon or gimbal damage.. more of a malfunction it seems.
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-7-2 17:41
Just ordered a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro. Will give it a try. Thanks!
Yeah I do not think it a ribbon or gimbal damage.. more of a malfunction it seems.

Let me know how you get on - best of luck mate
2018-7-2
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Easy Ed Posted at 2018-7-2 17:55
I went back to an old firmware. Not for faint of heart, kinda like rooting Android phones and tablets. But, I have not had a problem since. Only my opinion but with me it started after they added the extra camera settings, I think there is a bug in that part of the firmware. The firmware I am using does not have that feature.

I was on the old 0.100 firmware already... you might have something there with camera settings. Ill try the SD card swap out since I know A WC has been a pilot for a while and had his share of issues. I also do not want to change too much all at once; makes it hard to determine what fixed it.

I wish DJI would care more about the gimbal resets...
The go to: "send it in for repairs" is getting old.
2018-7-4
Use props
gooselk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 160148 ft
Germany

Actually, I did some quite interesting observations. I had the mid flight resets out of the blue since a few days now. I also noticed that I had more resets while flying a specific battery. But yesterday I had not a single occurance of the glitch in 3 batteries worth of airtime. So I asked myself what might have been different.

- The whole week we had sunny weather with temperatures around 86°F (30°C), yesterday though it was cloudy and 64°F (18°C).
- On the warm days the AC was hot to touch after landing, yesterday it was way cooler after landing.
- The battery i had most trouble with also was the one which got hottest during flight. It reached 131°F (55°C) whereas the others where around 120°F (49°C). Yesterday the batteries had 104°F (40°C) at most.

Preliminary conclusion: For me it seems to be a thermal problem. I need to do some more testing, like have more flights in cool weather and hot weather to see wheather the glitch returns. I ruled out the SD cards to be the cause of the problem as I tested with 3 different cards with different capacities, including the card it came with.
If it turns out to be true, there are now - in my view - 2 possibillities:

1. The air intake is blocked. I checked the air intake and it was all nice and clean. I also confirmed on the ground that the fan was running. Everything looked fine concerning the cooling system. Which brings me to
2. The aircraft is not designed to or has a design flaw to operate in this kind of temperatures, although it is rated to operate in 32-104°C (0-40°C) according to the manual. I read every thread on that topic I could find on the Internet and DJIs reaction gives reason to assume they may be aware of it and don't know how to fix it. My impression is that they try to sit this issue out now they are likely to announce the Mavic 2.

I will not send it in for repair as I know from all the reports that they do not have a solid handle on how to fix it. People just get their bird back in the same condition they sent it in or get a refurbished one that sooner or later displays the same behavior. I'm thinking about covering the top of the AC and the batteries in highly reflective foil to avoid additional heat from direct sunlight.

What sticks with me right now is my disappointment about DJIs handling of this issue...
2018-7-7
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 23:34
Let me know how you get on - best of luck mate

I have not had a reset since I swapped out the SD card to the 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro.
Thanks again!
2018-9-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-9-1 02:56
I have not had a reset since I swapped out the SD card to the 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro.
Thanks again!

Good to hear!     
2018-9-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Some history, I can't remember first gimble reset (last summer) but might be it happened after I buy a Samsung Pro 64 SD card - and it happened once a month or even less, this year my Pug chew Samsung card and I swapped it with Sandisk 64 GB (top of the line!) and resets start happening nearly Every flight (with some omissions)
Now I am with Transcend 32GB MicroSDXC/SDHC Class 10 UHSI U3 633x (Ultimate)with adapter, read: up to 95MB/s 633x And No single reset so far (for a month?)
2018-9-2
Use props
Squeaky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 885440 ft

OMG yes I did have a ND filter on both occasions. Could this be the reason im getting this gimbal glitch?
2018-9-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 02:46

I haven't had one yet, the only thing I've done was accidentally turn on the Mavic Pro while the gimbal brace was mistakenly left on.
2018-9-9
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Singapore

I have had the gimbal reset a total of 4 times. First time was quite a scare. The subsequent three times I let it hover and complete the reset itself before I flew it home. Usually takes around 30 to 45 seconds.

I have been using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDcard since the beginning.

My suspicion is due to heating issue and that the gimbal controller gets too hot and reboots. Each of my resets happens when I have been about 15 minutes or more in the air and recording. Has anyone flown the MP in a colder climate area and have had this reset?
That being said, I have not had an occurance since the last one about 4 months ago.

2018-9-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-9 16:58
I haven't had one yet, the only thing I've done was accidentally turn on the Mavic Pro while the gimbal brace was mistakenly left on.

That is never a good thing lol - done that a few times myself with previous drones
2018-9-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-9-10 00:38
That is never a good thing lol - done that a few times myself with previous drones

The way the Mavic Pro is made, it's inevitable once you're going to forget about removing the gimbal guard. It happened to me recently after my long streak putting it on and taking off a long successful period of times.

My Mavic Pro is pretty much in the same condition from when I took it brand new out of the box. I just purchased a brand new set of genuine propellers, and DJI just mailed me my new replacement battery. I do RTH and Automatic Takeoff almost every time from a flat dust-free surface, and 99% of time it lands exactly where it took of from, so there's really not even a scratch on it and still has the foldable instruction stickers on them.

2018-9-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-10 10:43
The way the Mavic Pro is made, it's inevitable once you're going to forget about removing the gimbal guard. It happened to me recently after my long streak putting it on and taking off a long successful period of times.

My Mavic Pro is pretty much in the same condition from when I took it brand new out of the box. I just purchased a brand new set of genuine propellers, and DJI just mailed me my new replacement battery. I do RTH and Automatic Takeoff almost every time from a flat dust-free surface, and 99% of time it lands exactly where it took of from, so there's really not even a scratch on it and still has the foldable instruction stickers on them.

Looks like you have kept it in mint condition mate - I too have a tendency to 'baby' my drones - not surprising given how much we spend on them
2018-9-11
Use props
mastervoice
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9180 ft
Mauritius

Hey guys,

I got the mavic about two years now and done lots of flights.
Gimbal resets increased over time and by now I have at least one each flight, sometimes more.
Updates always done. Since this is a common issue I accepted to live with it, but today for the first time even the mavic itself got out of control while the reset happened! It started turning and ascending. As soon as gimbal reset was done, everything was back to normal.

Anyone ever had this, too?
2018-9-11
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mastervoice@gmx Posted at 2018-9-11 04:32
Hey guys,

I got the mavic about two years now and done lots of flights.

I found that my issue was  an SD card issue; as soon as I went 32GB Sandisk Extreme my resets went away. What card are you using?
2018-9-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

same as you Bob, I started out on a very foggy morning, took off my ND 32 filter and replace it with a uv filter, things were good but muggy temp must have affected the gimbal and video.
2018-9-16
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Re: SD cards buy them from a reputable source.
There are a fakes being sold cheaply online and your bird might not be happy with one Fake Sandisk SD Cards
Buyer Beware
2018-9-16
Use props
Wanbli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3848497 ft
United States

I repair drones, more specifically the Mavic Pro (1). On several occasions I run into this issue. I've tried several fixes, but haven't found a cure, until today. I typically drop the firmware to a beta version (01.04.0241) I got from DJI for a different issue, then move the firmware a step at a time to the latest version (.0500). Today, just for giggles, I downgraded to the beta and then took the drone out for a test flight. this drone ALWAYS would reboot in EVERY flight, but not when this firmware was installed. As soon as I moved back to.0500, the reboot/reset would occure again. I've also noticed the reboot would go away after a core board replacement, but this is a very expensive fix! I'm going to do more testing on this drone to test the 3 firmware versions between .0241 and .0500 to see if it is fixed in any other version. I'll post back here with the results. Oh, BTW, this test was done on a sunny 60 degree (F) day. This issue  is not temperature or SDCard related.
OK, I was wrong! Even tho I hate to admit it!
I went back to .0241 and no reset the 1st time. Moved up to .0300. Gimbal restet as expected. Moved back down to .0241 and the gimbal reset! So much for that idea!

Here's what I have done to try to fix the reset issue so far:
1. Replaced the gimbal motor assy, no change.
2. Replaced the gimbal control board, no change.
3. Replace the U3 SD-Card (3 different U3 cards), no change.
4. Reflashed the firmware as above, no change.
5. Replace the camera, no change.
6. Replace the entire gimbal assembly with a "Known Good" gimbal assembly, no change!

I'm not going to replace the core, this drone isn't worth the investment, so this drone just became a "arts Drone"

I wish I could have been of more help...
2022-10-14
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wanbli Posted at 10-14 07:39
I repair drones, more specifically the Mavic Pro (1). On several occasions I run into this issue. I've tried several fixes, but haven't found a cure, until today. I typically drop the firmware to a beta version (01.04.0241) I got from DJI for a different issue, then move the firmware a step at a time to the latest version (.0500). Today, just for giggles, I downgraded to the beta and then took the drone out for a test flight. this drone ALWAYS would reboot in EVERY flight, but not when this firmware was installed. As soon as I moved back to.0500, the reboot/reset would occure again. I've also noticed the reboot would go away after a core board replacement, but this is a very expensive fix! I'm going to do more testing on this drone to test the 3 firmware versions between .0241 and .0500 to see if it is fixed in any other version. I'll post back here with the results. Oh, BTW, this test was done on a sunny 60 degree (F) day. This issue  is not temperature or SDCard related.
OK, I was wrong! Even tho I hate to admit it!
I went back to .0241 and no reset the 1st time. Moved up to .0300. Gimbal restet as expected. Moved back down to .0241 and the gimbal reset! So much for that idea!

In the Mavic Pro stick with 32GB SD cards. No resets using a 32GB SD card since I changed.
2022-10-15
Use props
Wanbli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3848497 ft
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 10-15 14:35
In the Mavic Pro stick with 32GB SD cards. No resets using a 32GB SD card since I changed.

Bob;
Thanks for the reply and Info, unforunately that made no difference for me. I use ONLY U3 cards and have tried verying sizes from 16 - 64gb. The ONLY thing I've found that stops the gimbal/Camera reboot issue is to change out the Core Board. I verified that yesterday when I swapped the cores of another M1P and the rebooting issue stopped.
2022-10-18
Use props
Muhammad Safan
New

Pakistan

Hi Bob, I recently replaced my Mavic Pro's Ribbon Cable and changed the Image Transmission Cable because my drone had plummeted from 15 metres above in the sky and to the ground... It snapped the ribbon cable and my drone's gimbal was not moving anymore... I fixed this a few weeks ago and now, I can't get any display on my mobile device... I think there is a problem in the firmware of the drone so I first downgraded it to see what would happen. After I downgraded it, it gave excellent footage, no matter what happened. But, when I went to power it up again the next day, there was again the black screen. I just now upgraded the firmware back to it's latest one, I believe the V 1.04.500 one. And still, no display. I searched the internet for answers to this issue but none of my problems are getting recovered. I don't know if this has happened to you but since the DJI Service Center was offering $100 - $200 dollars for a full replacement with the certified DJI Lens and DJI Gimbal, I managed to fix my drone at home, with no problem. I don't know if you can help me out but I have an event coming this weekend so I need to fix my drone asap. I will try on my own still to resolve the problem by watching a few videos on YouTube. Thanks in advance if you reply. Stay safe!
2023-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules