Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Sticky] Painting a Phantom 2
7968 38 2014-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

Have read a lot of posts/opinions, on various websites about using paint, hydro-image, wraps, plastidip, etc.  All have pros and maybe some cons.  Whether to lightly sand, use of basecoats, taking the top shell off, not to use metallic paints, etc.  I have just completed my latest Phantom paint project.  I used House Of Kolor automotive spray paints.  On an earlier project I used common plastic model paints and it turned out okay, but this time I was looking for a different type of color scheme and the plastic paints didn't have the color I was looking for.  

The basis of my plan for the Phantom were 2 photos of F 16's that I had come across randomly and liked the colors and wondered if I could paint a Phantom somewhat similarly.  I cleaned the surface using GooGone and let it dry completely.  I have read about not using metallic paints, but took the chance and applied a silver basecoat over which I sprayed a light metallic blue.  I masked that off and then applied the yellow.  In order for my decals to sit flat, I needed to apply a light clear coat as the House of Kolor dried matte/flat.  I decaled the Phantom then sprayed on a second coat of clear.

Now with all of that said, my obvious worry was the interference everyone was talking about when a metallic paint is used.  Knock on wood, (or plastic), but so far in the flights that I have had, I have not had any type of flight/guidance problems.  Now, I also know that the next time I fly, I could have a disaster, but so far it's been fine.  Maybe the paint formulations or the use of non-metallic flakes in a "metallic" paint, I have no idea.  Has anyone experienced flight issues if they "dared" to use a metallic paint on the Phantom?

Would like to do another project but would appreciate anyone offering advice as to how they may have finished their Phantom.

Here is a link to my F-16 inspired "metallic" Phantom.  Sorry for the long post.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12 ... /72157647755070051/

2014-9-18
Use props
antonik1446
New

United States

Very nice!
2014-9-18
Use props
Ghayes649
New

United States

Wow, Nice job man!!!  I am thinking about painting mine to... but I was going to use more neutral colors... black, grey, red? using blue and yellow takes balls...  pictures are awesome....

"G"
2014-9-18
Use props
cyukang
New

China

very Nice!!
2014-9-18
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

Ghayes649@gmail Posted at 2014-9-19 11:07
Wow, Nice job man!!!  I am thinking about painting mine to... but I was going to use more neutral co ...

Thanks very much "G".  Appreciate the kind words.  Also wanted a color that didn't blend in with the background either in the sky or land.  Discovered once that there are hundreds of those white plastic bags on the ground! ha
2014-9-19
Use props
josephbobowicz
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Just checked out your pics, now that is a paint job! WOW - well done!
2014-9-19
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool! Great work.
2014-9-19
Use props
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

Well done.
2014-9-19
Use props
thomaskim558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 865177 ft
Singapore

nice job! but did u painted ur phantom 2 equally? balanced?
2014-9-21
Use props
arjen.landman

Netherlands

Really looking good, grtz from a windy Holland
2014-9-21
Use props
uhayat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

Absolutely incredible, superb creativity and execution...
2014-9-21
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.1

United States

Impressive work!!
2014-9-21
Use props
DBS
lvl.1

United States

Sweet sweet ride right there bro
2014-9-21
Use props
Phoebe
New

Germany

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/inde ... r-als-DJI-Phantom2/

...have a look, they offer black phantoms with other names
2014-9-21
Use props
toosworld
lvl.1

China

The color is really cool!!{:3_46:}
2014-9-22
Use props
Tazdevil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43074 ft
  • >>>
Canada

cool job , man ,

I think , just don't paint with metallic spray just over the gps antenna and i will work as the original....
2014-9-22
Use props
simonfeaugas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

Nice Job!
2014-9-22
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

That is super friggin cool, Nice job.
2014-9-22
Use props
rgreen
New

United States

Looks great. Am curious about the questions regarding using metallic paint and interference. Considering some of the recommended mods for improving GPS signal, I would think this might be beneficial for specifically the top of the case. Comments?
2014-9-23
Use props
navydiver
New

United States

Beautifull paint job...i want to do mine in the Navy colors
2014-9-24
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

Wow !!  Thanks to everyone.  Truly humbling.   
2014-9-26
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

navydiver Posted at 2014-9-25 08:56
Beautifull paint job...i want to do mine in the Navy colors

Am ready to see it..  Any photos yet?
2014-9-26
Use props
Brianannemartin
New

Ireland

Great Work...welll done
2014-9-26
Use props
cacooley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 146056 ft
United States

Great Job. Very Impressive
2014-9-27
Use props
chris
lvl.4

Indonesia

cool, but.. a load of weight..
2014-9-27
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

Chris, I was a little concerned about weight as well.  Not so much about the paint, (explained at the end), but with the gps tracker that is mounted on the skid.  Also, the wind resistance hitting the side of the tracker, the larger skids and the foam "landing" cushions.  Didn't find taller ones with built in pads like the original til afterwards.  Needless to say, the first few flights were low and slow.  I agree, some weight was added by the paint job, and more by my add on's.  Think my flight time has been reduced some, but I never try to come that close to using all my battery anyway.  

Have had some questions about the paint process on another forum so I will give it a try to explain what I did.  Whenever I would use "rattle" cans for painting plastic models, and not an airbrush, paint build up is an issue.  With that in mind, I was very impressed with the House Of Kolor paint in spray cans.  (which you can also use with an airbrush as it is available in 4 oz bottles.)  I did mask off and paint some practice shots on small plastic sheets to get a feel on how it covered and if it reacted to the plastic in any way.  (bubbled up, didn't dry right, etc.)  Mainly, I wanted to see how the paint and masking tape acted together.  Was very pleased when I removed the pretend masking pattern.  The tape just peeled right up without tearing at any of the seams and at the edge of the paint/tape joint there was no "lip".  The paint, when applied in light misty coats, builds up to a nice color and is the way to go.

Then the next test was to see how the clear coat reacted with the decals.  Again over a House of Kolor base paint with a clear coat applied, I put down 2-3 spare decals, let them dry, and sprayed a clear coat over them.  After an overnight drying time, I again was very pleased as the clear coat did not react with the decals.  No wrinkling or running of the decal ink colors.  So I was set as to what I was going to use to paint my Phantom.  Now if I could just get everything to come together.  

I guess my biggest disappointment was that I tested everything out first, but didn't think about testing the solutions that I use when applying decals to plastic models.  That is a 2 part process of using a "softener" first, placing the decals down, then using a "setting" solution.  The softener is great to enable the decal to conform to compound surfaces.  What I didn't think of is that the softener reacted slightly with the first few decals that I applied and the edges turned out a little wavy.  Can't tell if House Of Kolor played a part or not.  From then on I didn't use either of the solutions and the decals were fine.

With all of this being said, I was glad I gave it a try and did this paint job.  Would I do it again?  That's a "yes" and a "no".  I would really like to see if I could come up with another color scheme, but at the same time, when I am out flying, I am more concerned about crashing and messing up the paint job.  Which isn't a bad thing, but I can tell that I'm flying more conservatively than before.  I guess regardless of flying more conservatively, I DO want to attempt it again!

Thanks to EVERYONE for all of your very kind comments.  It's very humbling!  

2014-9-28
Use props
daag78
Second Officer
Pakistan

Beautiful work
2014-9-28
Use props
Superleofpsdji
lvl.1

United States

Sweet man
2014-10-3
Use props
stryjek
lvl.4
United Kingdom

awsome
2014-10-4
Use props
steve46
lvl.1

United States

Wow Very nice..wish i had ur talents
2014-10-4
Use props
torsir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 438816 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Nice job
2014-10-5
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

steve46 Posted at 2014-10-5 11:05
Wow Very nice..wish i had ur talents

Hey steve46, thanks for the kind comment.  You can do it as well !!  Just think of a pattern/design and go for it.  For me it was a process of trial and error.  This was not the first scheme I've ever tried.  Think positive and whatever you do, keep trying..  Practice trying out different things til you find something you like, whether it's a brand of paint, type or brand of masking tape or even colors that you like.  I painted that Phantom solid orange first as I thought I would put blue pin striping on it after a cool motorcycle photo I saw.  Then came across the blue and yellow F-16 scheme and knew that's what I wanted to try.  Find something you want to try and go for it.  What have you got to lose?  Just paint over it if you need to, just like I did.  Just keep trying, it will pay off for you!!!     
2014-10-5
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

Thanks Daag78.  Appreciate yours and everyone else's kind words.  
2014-10-5
Use props
Filiep
lvl.1

Belgium

GREAT job!!! I want that also!!!
2014-10-6
Use props
70challenger
lvl.4
Canada

That is really awesome, good job man.
2014-10-6
Use props
CamTaylor
New

Canada

Any chance I could get the  colours you used bpatty?  I'm thinking of modding mine in a similar way but instead of military based I'm probably going to make it classic X-Men themed!   Also, like everyone else is saying, AMAZING job.  Really cool work!
2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

That's cool! 147th at Ellington Field. Was there in the Air Guard several years ago.....when they had F4s. I was a crew chief on those lead sleds.
2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Wanna paint mine?
2015-5-24
Use props
pb05life
lvl.1

United States