Ronin S accessories and follow focus questions
33593 39 2018-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stastro
New

United States

hi I ordered a ronin s and am waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime I’ve been reading the manual and have some questions that are very unclear after reading the manual 3 times...

1. How can I attach my DJI Focus motor to the Romin S? I have the mounting kit that I had to buy for my Romin MX...
2. How can I mount the ronin s to a tripod or monopod?
3. How do I mount the ronin s to a car mount if I need to remove the handle? Isn’t the battery in the handle?
4. How do I mount a SmallHD monitor? I don’t see any mounting points on the gimbal.
2018-7-2
Use props
Stastro
New

United States

Also, is there any plan to make the ronin mx use the same app as the s? Would be nice to have some of the features that the s has on my MX (which was much more expensive)
2018-7-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Stastro, thanks for your support to DJI product. Here are the answers to your questions.
1. DJI Focus is not compatible with Ronin-S, we will release its own Focus Motor Lite very soon.
2. Ronin-S comes with the Tripod, here are the steps to mount the Tripod. GTScreenshot_20180703_175804.png
3. It is recommended to mount the camera using the Top Hotshoe Bracket when mounting the gimbal on a car, then adjust the Stiffness value manually after the AutoTune is complete.
GTScreenshot_20180703_175104.png
4. It is available to mount an external monitor to the Ronin-S. All you need is an accessory mounting plate, we'll release on our website as long as it is available, thanks or your patience.
5. Sorry that the APP is different, it will not be merged temporarily, sorry for the inconvenience.
2018-7-3
Use props
alexher
lvl.1

Do you have any informations on the external focus motor? I don't see any informations on it and no one from dji.com seems able to communicate a date for the release or a price.
This is a very important feature if you want to be able to use it with others cameras and manual lenses, not listed compatible with the internal focus system.
I'm thinking of buying the Crane 2 which has already this feature available if Dji don't release more infos on this. Would be a shame because the Ronin-s seems better on all others aspect!
2018-7-7
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft

1. you need to attach it to a 15mm rail that should connect to a baseplate on the camera with a rail system like the one in the picture. to actually connect the motor to the ronin-S you need this cable, it's a LEMO to RSS to connect the motor individually to the ronin handle. Note* this will not work unless you update the focus motor firmware which can only be done with the Focus remote. While they made this option available, Dji has stated they have intentions of creating a new focus motor lite system intended for the Ronin-S, not really sure when they'll release it, but it is coming.
https://www.ebay.com/i/253680789576?chn=ps

2. the battery grip of the Ronin-S has a 1/4 20 and 3/8 mounting holes on the bottom of the unit, you can attach the provided mini tripod or mount a quick release plate to the bottom of the battery and mount the entire unit to a tripod if needed.

3. Car mount options are considered future accessories and are TBD, you could attempt to mount it to a car using the aforementioned mounting points on the bottom of the battery in conjunction with the 2-4 M4 screw mounts on the side of the gimbal but this would be at your own risk and not yet recommended. As for powering the unit without the battery grip, this is not yet supported in the current firmware, you can turn the unit on, via USB-c, to update firmware or connect to pc but it doesn't provide enough juice to power the motors. Future accessories should allow the top gimbal to mount to future baseplates that supply power via alternate methods. As for when that's released, you guess is as good as anyones.

4. There are no obvious mounting points yet but so far people have come up with some interesting workarounds, nothing is officially supported yet but if it has to be done here's what I've seen floating around

There's talk of official Dji accessories coming, cheese plates and additional mounting options but seeing as they're struggling to fulfill all the Ronin-S orders I can't imagine the accessories being announced and available anytime soon. The beauty of the camera industry is 3rd party companies are always available to create and expand on gear, we just have to wait for it to be released.

Hope this helped, enjoy your Ronin-S!
2018-7-7
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft

alexher Posted at 2018-7-7 07:53
Do you have any informations on the external focus motor? I don't see any informations on it and no one from dji.com seems able to communicate a date for the release or a price.
This is a very important feature if you want to be able to use it with others cameras and manual lenses, not listed compatible with the internal focus system.
I'm thinking of buying the Crane 2 which has already this feature available if Dji don't release more infos on this. Would be a shame because the Ronin-s seems better on all others aspect!

All in good time brother, I agree that controlling manual lenses will be a huge asset in the future, they do have intentions of releasing a focus motor intended for use with the Ronin-S but seeing as they're struggling to fulfill the Ronin-S orders I can't imagine accessories are in the immediate future. If this is something you absolutely need now the crane 2 option might be a better fit for you. However, if you can wait, I believe the Ronin-S to be the superior gimbal with a more professional build and professional ports for future accessories, so when it's all said and done, you'll have more functionality with the Ronin-S. A third option, if you have the cash to spare, would be to buy the DJI Focus system that has a currently supported focus motor. The reason you need the entire kit is to update the motor Firmware, this can only be done with the focus remote. This is not a cheap option at $1,300, but it will give you immediate access to a focus motor compatible with the Ronin-S.

https://store.dji.com/product/focus
you also need this cable
https://www.ebay.com/i/253680789576?chn=ps

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!
2018-7-7
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Take a look at this document for using the Focus with Ronin-S Using DJI Focus with Ronin-S
2018-7-8
Use props
alexher
lvl.1

bob_angie Posted at 2018-7-7 16:18
All in good time brother, I agree that controlling manual lenses will be a huge asset in the future, they do have intentions of releasing a focus motor intended for use with the Ronin-S but seeing as they're struggling to fulfill the Ronin-S orders I can't imagine accessories are in the immediate future. If this is something you absolutely need now the crane 2 option might be a better fit for you. However, if you can wait, I believe the Ronin-S to be the superior gimbal with a more professional build and professional ports for future accessories, so when it's all said and done, you'll have more functionality with the Ronin-S. A third option, if you have the cash to spare, would be to buy the DJI Focus system that has a currently supported focus motor. The reason you need the entire kit is to update the motor Firmware, this can only be done with the focus remote. This is not a cheap option at $1,300, but it will give you immediate access to a focus motor compatible with the Ronin-S.

Thanks a lot for you answer! Very useful. Just one question. If I buy only the focus motor from the DJI focus system and the cable, can I get the remote from someone else and update it from there?

Best,

Alex.

2018-7-8
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

alexher Posted at 2018-7-8 22:24
Thanks a lot for you answer! Very useful. Just one question. If I buy only the focus motor from the DJI focus system and the cable, can I get the remote from someone else and update it from there?

Best,

yes that's possible.
2018-7-9
Use props
thephilz
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-7-8 21:39
Take a look at this document for using the Focus with Ronin-S Using DJI Focus with Ronin-S

Is there any way to get documents like this on the official support pages or some sort of Pro-Support section?

Keep getting roadblocks in trying to diagnose and/or work with DJI on issues with the Ronin-S, no proper communication lines–the regular support is just not made for 'hollywood' level production work. We've worked with Red directly in the past, even influenced products, even had their guys fly out to work with us. not asking for that level of support, just at the very least a contact. Freefly also does this (and happens to be local).
2018-7-9
Use props
alexher
lvl.1

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-7-9 00:01
yes that's possible.

Thank you very much!
2018-7-10
Use props
labregatv
lvl.2
United States

bob_angie Posted at 2018-7-7 16:10
[view_image]

1. you need to attach it to a 15mm rail that should connect to a baseplate on the camera with a rail system like the one in the picture. to actually connect the motor to the ronin-S you need this cable, it's a LEMO to RSS to connect the motor individually to the ronin handle. Note* this will not work unless you update the focus motor firmware which can only be done with the Focus remote. While they made this option available, Dji has stated they have intentions of creating a new focus motor lite system intended for the Ronin-S, not really sure when they'll release it, but it is coming.

Do you know the name of the company that sells the bottom handle on the second picture? Thanks.
2018-7-10
Use props
fans11489028
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

i didnt send that picture above, but i have a similar setup. my side handle is made by  Zhiyun. i paid about 40 dollars for it on ebay. hope that helps.
2018-7-11
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans11489028 Posted at 2018-7-11 02:53
i didnt send that picture above, but i have a similar setup. my side handle is made by  Zhiyun. i paid about 40 dollars for it on ebay. hope that helps.

Good idea - it's on Amazon UK. I just bought one until DJI sort out something more elegant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zhiyun- ... iyun+Mini+Dual+Grip
2018-7-11
Use props
labregatv
lvl.2
United States

fans11489028 Posted at 2018-7-11 02:53
i didnt send that picture above, but i have a similar setup. my side handle is made by  Zhiyun. i paid about 40 dollars for it on ebay. hope that helps.

Thank you!
2018-7-11
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Bought the Grip too, Thanks to your help guys. Waiting for the Ronin-s.
2018-7-11
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

[view_image]

1. you need to attach it to a 15mm rail that should connect to a baseplate on the camera with a rail system like the one in the picture. to actually connect the motor to the ronin-S you need this cable, it's a LEMO to RSS to connect the motor individually to the ronin handle. Note* this will not work unless you update the focus motor firmware which can only be done with the Focus remote. While they made this option available, Dji has stated they have intentions of creating a new focus motor lite system intended for the Ronin-S, not really sure when they'll release it, but it is coming.

Just got the same setup myself - but dont you find the pan arm swings and hits the monitor though? It can't do full rolls?
2018-7-12
Use props
Between2tides
lvl.2
United States

Wondering when accessories for the Ronin S will begin to be released. DJI Mindy, could you share any timelines. Specifically for cheeseplates, the top bracket, the follow focus motor for manual lenses, and the double handle. Not trying to be a pest, it's just that DJI does not give much help as far as information goes. Makes it tough to plan. Thanks.

FYI had a friend cut up a cheeseplate from Smallrig which is working pretty well.  

2018-8-1
Use props
Wombat Fire
New

[view_image]

1. you need to attach it to a 15mm rail that should connect to a baseplate on the camera with a rail system like the one in the picture. to actually connect the motor to the ronin-S you need this cable, it's a LEMO to RSS to connect the motor individually to the ronin handle. Note* this will not work unless you update the focus motor firmware which can only be done with the Focus remote. While they made this option available, Dji has stated they have intentions of creating a new focus motor lite system intended for the Ronin-S, not really sure when they'll release it, but it is coming.

ive got all of these parts accessories firm ware etc.. motor lights up.. focus wheel on ronin goes green.. it will auto cal but nothing else works... what are the steps once its all hooked up??
2018-8-14
Use props
djiuser_AEndbrD0cR8n
New

Wombat Fire Posted at 2018-8-14 08:09
ive got all of these parts accessories firm ware etc.. motor lights up.. focus wheel on ronin goes green.. it will auto cal but nothing else works... what are the steps once its all hooked up??

I am facing a similar situation.  Firmware updated, connected and ronin s light is green.  It will auto cal but no response turning the wheel.  Any advice?
2018-8-25
Use props
adamjrichman
lvl.2
United States

[view_image]

re #1: The cable you linked to on eBay (RSS to Lemo RED) is not the cable in the photo you shared. The cable on eBay is for the RSS port, while the cable in the photo converts 12V/2A power from the front 4-pin connector, not the side RSS connector. They are different cables and may or may not be correct.

I'm personally waiting to get a 4-pin (is this called CAN BUS??) to p-tap female cable made so I can use a Nucleus-M motor on the gimbal and have it powered by the base. This cable does not exist yet.
2018-8-25
Use props
Kwan
lvl.3
United States

adamjrichman Posted at 2018-8-25 11:04
re #1: The cable you linked to on eBay (RSS to Lemo RED) is not the cable in the photo you shared. The cable on eBay is for the RSS port, while the cable in the photo converts 12V/2A power from the front 4-pin connector, not the side RSS connector. They are different cables and may or may not be correct.

I'm personally waiting to get a 4-pin (is this called CAN BUS??) to p-tap female cable made so I can use a Nucleus-M motor on the gimbal and have it powered by the base. This cable does not exist yet.

Do you know if some can make a custom cable asap (Can-Bus to Nucleus M motor), here is the Nucleus-M Pin Configuration

2018-8-25
Use props
fans04aa17cf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 432461 ft
France

Hi. As @adamjrichman said, The cable @bob_angie linked doesn't works: the Lemo on this cable is way smaller than the Focus motor's ones.
It would be great that @bob_angie edit his post to avoid heedless people like me to waste money and time ;)
The cable which should work is "Ronin-MX Remote Start/Stop DJI Focus Power and Data Cable" (available in dji store but I don't have permissions to post a link here)
2018-9-11
Use props
Studio PAD
lvl.1
France

fans04aa17cf Posted at 2018-9-11 02:00
Hi. As @adamjrichman said, The cable @bob_angie linked doesn't works: the Lemo on this cable is way smaller than the Focus motor's ones.
It would be great that @bob_angie edit his post to avoid heedless people like me to waste money and time ;)
The cable which should work is "Ronin-MX Remote Start/Stop DJI Focus Power and Data Cable" (available in dji store but I don't have permissions to post a link here)

Here is the link: https://store.dji.com/product/ro ... stop-foucs-cable-v2
2018-9-11
Use props
fans8c42777e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49934 ft
United States

bob_angie Posted at 2018-7-7 16:18
All in good time brother, I agree that controlling manual lenses will be a huge asset in the future, they do have intentions of releasing a focus motor intended for use with the Ronin-S but seeing as they're struggling to fulfill the Ronin-S orders I can't imagine accessories are in the immediate future. If this is something you absolutely need now the crane 2 option might be a better fit for you. However, if you can wait, I believe the Ronin-S to be the superior gimbal with a more professional build and professional ports for future accessories, so when it's all said and done, you'll have more functionality with the Ronin-S. A third option, if you have the cash to spare, would be to buy the DJI Focus system that has a currently supported focus motor. The reason you need the entire kit is to update the motor Firmware, this can only be done with the focus remote. This is not a cheap option at $1,300, but it will give you immediate access to a focus motor compatible with the Ronin-S.

Hi everyone,

I believe the ebay link is incorrect for the focus motor cable. I just got a shipment in the mail with a few cables. The DJI Ronin-MX - RSS Control Cable for RED". I order spare part NO.5."MX665815155" I don't think that cable works, it looks too thick on the rss connection and looks too small on the lemo side. I will upload some pictures to show

So I order spare part NO. 19 "MX666116052" remote start/stop-dji focus power and data cable. It looks like it should fit the Ronin S and the other end looks like it would fit on the DJI focus motor. I haven't tried it looking to see if bob_angie has more info on this or if anybody else has more info that can help. It looks like it should fit the Ronin S and the other end looks like it would fit on the DJI focus motor will this power the focus motor using the ronin s?? Here is a picture of part NO. 19 remote start/stop-dji focus power.

The idea is to power the focus motor so that my assistant can pull manual focus threw the Dji wireless focus system.

Please if anybody else has more information on this please post and share so we can all help each other.
2018-9-11
Use props
djiuser_wrDxsDozjUlI
New
Netherlands

Wouldn't it be nice to have a carmount with integrated battery, which also would enable you to put it on a motorized slider.
DJI, isn't this maybe a new idea for an accessory for the Ronin-S? Combined with a motorized slider from DJI itself would be the perfect all-in-one set-up for EVERY filmmaker!

Hook me up when you have a test model!
2018-9-11
Use props
Studio PAD
lvl.1
France

fans8c42777e Posted at 2018-9-11 09:14
Hi everyone,

I believe the ebay link is incorrect for the focus motor cable. I just got a shipment in the mail with a few cables. The DJI Ronin-MX - RSS Control Cable for RED". I order spare part NO.5."MX665815155" I don't think that cable works, it looks too thick on the rss connection and looks too small on the lemo side. I will upload some pictures to show[view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image]

Hi,
The remote start/stop DJI focus power and data cable SHOULD work, but I didn't test it yet.
The CAN bus on the Ronin S is 12v powered, so it would be enough to power the focus motor.
And I can confirm the cable in the ebay link is useless here...
2018-9-12
Use props
Derek Lowrey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5186749 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone been able to A/B point calibrate?
I feel like a fool for getting this far into the process and not being able to set the points for a Stills lens.
2018-9-17
Use props
Derek Lowrey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5186749 ft
  • >>>
United States

Derek Lowrey Posted at 2018-9-17 10:13
Has anyone been able to A/B point calibrate?
I feel like a fool for getting this far into the process and not being able to set the points for a Stills lens.

And to tack on to that problem; I now have an issue that the motor won't respond to the S's focus wheel fully. It will auto-calibrate, light turns green, but then the S wheel doesn't control the motor.
The Wireless Focus hand unit does control it however. And can change all settings like it was normally hooked up to DTap.
So now, how do I switch control between wheels?

And before anyone asks, I HAVE had it functioning normal. Shot a full day with a lightweight Epic-W and the S's Focus wheel and external Focus motor worked.
2018-9-17
Use props
fans33afb308
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1157785 ft

I’ve been digging around looking for an external monitor solution for the Ronin-S. The smallrig 2222 is the best I’ve seen. Currently available for half price/preorder directly from them.
2018-10-4
Use props
Lozrick
New

United Kingdom

A nice fixing kit from SmallRig :-)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/SmallRi ... 32252648&chn=ps
2018-10-16
Use props
hopik
New
Flight distance : 119386 ft
Czechia

Hello.

I have updated DJI Focus motor, connected to Ronin-S with proper cable (remote start/stop-dji focus power and data cable), but focus wheel on Ronin-s still not communicate with Focus motor. If i push button twice for auto calibration, Focus Motor starts spin, but never stop. A-B calibration doesn't work, and if I try to spin focus wheel, motor isn't spinning.

Do you have any idea, what to do?

Thanks.
2018-11-1
Use props
hopik
New
Flight distance : 119386 ft
Czechia

Well. DJI, I really don't understand, why DJI Focus Motor can not work with new Ronin-S. It is just because you want to get more money from users because they will need to buy new focus, which is actually still not in stock... Very disappointing, we really don't want to go this way, so "thank you". We are now selling brand new Ronin-S (of course with money loss), because it is useless and switching to Zhiyun.
2018-11-9
Use props
fans596dccd9
lvl.1
Italy

Good evening everyone!
Can I know if there is an accessory to move the focus away from the arm? and maybe hook it near other handles?
Thank you in advance
2018-12-11
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

Very cool solutions in this thread. Thanks for sharing.
2018-12-21
Use props
BrettMartin
lvl.1
United States

fans8c42777e Posted at 2018-9-11 09:14
Hi everyone,

I believe the ebay link is incorrect for the focus motor cable. I just got a shipment in the mail with a few cables. The DJI Ronin-MX - RSS Control Cable for RED". I order spare part NO.5."MX665815155" I don't think that cable works, it looks too thick on the rss connection and looks too small on the lemo side. I will upload some pictures to show[view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image]

Thanks for posting those pictures. Any chance you could measure some pins for me with a multi meter on those connectors? I have figured out how the cables are talking to the Ronin and I am trying to make my own ARRI cable. Looking at the cable end of the 2x4 pin cable starting on the left, pin one and going right to pin 4, and then starting again on the second row, 5-8. Pin 2 is ground and is shorted to either pin 1, 5, or 6. If you could do a continuity check between pin 2 and the other pins on the cable it would tell me which one is the Red cable and narrow things down for me.  Pin 5 is used for all of the USB cables I tested for example.

Reading the 4-pin accessory connector the same way D-, D+, G, +12v
2019-2-10
Use props
bburkley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1248963 ft
  • >>>
United States

hopik Posted at 2018-11-1 01:44
Hello.

I have updated DJI Focus motor, connected to Ronin-S with proper cable (remote start/stop-dji focus power and data cable), but focus wheel on Ronin-s still not communicate with Focus motor. If i push button twice for auto calibration, Focus Motor starts spin, but never stop. A-B calibration doesn't work, and if I try to spin focus wheel, motor isn't spinning.

Hi - I'm having this same exact issue right now with the Ronin-S and DJI Wireless Follow Focus System. Wondering if you've found a solution?

Thanks!
Brandon
2019-2-20
Use props
bburkley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1248963 ft
  • >>>
United States

bburkley Posted at 2-20 16:47
Hi - I'm having this same exact issue right now with the Ronin-S and DJI Wireless Follow Focus System. Wondering if you've found a solution?

Thanks!

@DJI - Do you have any update on this? There are YouTube demonstrations everywhere with the original DJI Wireless Follow Focus Motor working with the Ronin-S. Why is there no documentation anywhere on this? Has there been a firmware update yet to address this?
2019-3-19
Use props
colinr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18930 ft
United States

Derek Lowrey Posted at 2018-9-17 13:45
And to tack on to that problem; I now have an issue that the motor won't respond to the S's focus wheel fully. It will auto-calibrate, light turns green, but then the S wheel doesn't control the motor.
The Wireless Focus hand unit does control it however. And can change all settings like it was normally hooked up to DTap.
So now, how do I switch control between wheels?

Did you ever figure out how to control the focus motor with ronin-s wheel again?
2019-6-30
Use props
djiuser_HtpL8IteP5A6
New

Peru

Can connect dji motor focus 2007 to ronin S???
2023-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules