899 9 2018-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SACO AS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 603350 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Are Phantom3 PRO, Phantom4 PRO and Mavic Platinum using the same geodemodell (hight reference) in the collected photos EXIF?

2018-7-3
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Being you seem to have them all, won't a comparison of a picture from all give the answer?
All i know is that the P4P has some strange altitude information in the EXIF that can not be trusted.
2018-7-3
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-3 11:49
Being you seem to have them all, won't a comparison of a picture from all give the answer?
All i know is that the P4P has some strange altitude information in the EXIF that can not be trusted.

How do you get the height from the Exif? Are you generating it from the GPS coordinates?
2018-7-6
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

I believe/ think the two Mavic and P4P / P4A use the same model/height they receive from the GPS module in meters. But unfortunately, altitude measurement with a standard GPS module is a very inaccurate altitude measurement that you can not use for anything. It is not abnormal that the height you receive from the GPS module can move/swing up to +-100 meters. Furthermore, the height corresponds to an imaginary round ball and does not take into account that the earth is not round and has continents that attract water.

If I fly at an altitude of 142 meters above sea level, I have read the lowest altitude in exif to be 38 meters and the highest at 193 meters. I can certainly find some that are further from the correct height if I looking all my pictures through.   

Regards, Leif.
2018-7-6
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-6 10:30
How do you get the height from the Exif? Are you generating it from the GPS coordinates?

I can answer this myself now. It's shows in Windows in the image properties.
My image viewing software doesn' show height, only GPS...
2018-7-6
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

Landbo Posted at 2018-7-6 11:24
I believe/ think the two Mavic and P4P / P4A use the same model/height they receive from the GPS module in meters. But unfortunately, altitude measurement with a standard GPS module is a very inaccurate altitude measurement that you can not use for anything. It is not abnormal that the height you receive from the GPS module can move/swing up to +-100 meters. Furthermore, the height corresponds to an imaginary round ball and does not take into account that the earth is not round and has continents that attract water.

If I fly at an altitude of 142 meters above sea level, I have read the lowest altitude in exif to be 38 meters and the highest at 193 meters. I can certainly find some that are further from the correct height if I looking all my pictures through.   

That's fortunately wrong. The altitude is not defined by GPS. That would make it very inaccurate.
The altitude is measured by the barometer which takes the home point as Zero.
The barometer is very accurate considering how stable the drone keeps the altitude beyond VPS.
2018-7-6
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-6 12:07
That's fortunately wrong. The altitude is not defined by GPS. That would make it very inaccurate.
The barometer is very accurate considering how stable the drone keeps the altitude beyond VPS.

If there's something wrong, it's because of my bad English skills. The height inserted into the EXIF data of the image comes from the aircraft's GPS module.   

But it is true that the aircraft uses the barometer to keep its height. But that's not what asks about.   

Regards Leif.
2018-7-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

It's using WGS84
2018-7-6
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-6 12:07

The short answer, the height is a mess.
Check this thread, my overall conclusion is that it is impossible to know how high a picture is taken from.
2018-7-6
Use props
SACO AS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 603350 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-6 10:30

I am using the software PIE Picture Information Extractor. Free version
2019-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules