How many prefer Go4 App be created for each category?
12Next >
2695 48 2018-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Much discussion over Go4 app and the problems many encounter. Many from here and other forums and facebook groups have thought DJI community would be better served with apps created for specific model categories instead of what it is currently. Are correction and updates to one product line impacting flights and operation issues of others?

Thoughts tossed around similar to this idea.

Spark Mavic Pro Mavic Air MP2  in one app
Phantom and Inspire in one app
Matrice in it's own app
Single SelectVote, Total 43 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

83.72% (36)
16.28% (7)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Are correction and updates to one product line impacting flights and operation issues of others?

Went with ''Yes'' because of question above.  

Something to ponder for those with different model drones.  Should this come about, it means a different version of GO-4 for every different model you have.

2018-7-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-3 10:28
Are correction and updates to one product line impacting flights and operation issues of others?

Went with ''Yes'' because of question above.  

I think most would be content with an individual App for each of these products. Less issues for updates, less issues as more products are released, updated and then fubarring current lines. Mavic Pro had been stellar since the latest updates past 4.2.14 as well as since before the Spark was added. Then came the Air add on now things are real messy. Apps for each of these class of products would be better and preferred by many I know. Go4 may seem convenient as an all in one app for those products, but it really sucks the life out of the product when the app is not working well enough to fly, and or trust flights.

Mavic and Spark

Phantom and Inspire

Matrice
2018-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

A course correction to individual apps seem unlikely as doing so would require an exponential growth in engineering, marketing, support and QA resources, most of which would be redundant and therefore wasteful. Would you prefer to pay more for your quad, as DJI would certainly have to pass this cost along to the consumer?
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-7-3 10:45
I think most would be content with an individual App for each of these products. Less issues for updates, less issues as more products are released, updated and then fubarring current lines. Mavic Pro had been stellar since the latest updates past 4.2.14 as well as since before the Spark was added. Then came the Air add on now things are real messy. Apps for each of these class of products would be better and preferred by many I know. Go4 may seem convenient as an all in one app for those products, but it really sucks the life out of the product when the app is not working well enough to fly, and or trust flights.

Mavic and Spark

Agree with why.  However, I can hear complaints now.
I have to have five different versions of GO-4 on my SmartDevice. (Not sure CrystalSky would have enough free memory.)
I can't keep up with all downloads of different versions.  Third update in two weeks!   Couldn't fly because of mandatory update I missed.
I keep selecting wrong GO-4.   To many GO-4 versions running, and can't start version I need.
AND
OP: GO-4 won't work on my Mavic Air.  Responder: Well it works fine on my Mavic Air, my Mavic Pro, my Inspire, my Phantom; that's proof GO-4 isn't problem, but you!

2018-7-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-3 10:57
Agree with why.  However, I can hear complaints now.
I have to have five different versions of GO-4 on my SmartDevice. (Not sure CrystalSky would have enough free memory.)
I can't keep up with all downloads of different versions.  Third update in two weeks!   Couldn't fly because of mandatory update I missed.

Many think otherwise that I have talked to. Our local drone club has 79 member and about 55 of them have DJI products. Many more than one.

Splitting categories of these craft would be welcomed by all here anyway.

Guys that fly Phantom and Inspire would rather not deal with their app faulty due to add ons in the Mavic Line.

As it is, lately the Go4 app has caused significant problems for many users over the past several months, and dating back to the Spark add on as well.

How BIG does Go4 need to be?

Personally, I'd be fine with it as is if it didn't cause as many issues. iOS and Android groups have all had their fair share, and now the latest app has ruined flights for many Android users. I have used all devices, and experienced issues others have, and at various points in developments and additions of products to the app.

Whatever the case, the app needs fixed.
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-3 10:54
A course correction to individual apps seem unlikely as doing so would require an exponential growth in engineering, marketing and QA resources, most of which would be redundant and therefore wasteful. Would you prefer to pay more for your quad, as DJI would certainly have to pass this cost along to the consumer?

I would, if it actually meant reliable and stable Firmware / Software Apps / OS.

1a) Mavic Pro firmware, .0300 causes smearing, blurring, pixelation on Live view
1b) Mavic Pro on .0300 appeared to have unstable hovering, compared to .0200.

2) GO-4 software, is bloated and/or has ''hot spots'' in code, requiring latest Smartdevices, and nearly obsoleting CrystalSky.

3) CrystalSky OS, shuts down without warning (likely caused by unsolved overheating problems of OS)

4a) Assistant-2 program, does not have signed drivers and not blessed by either Microsoft or Apple.
4b) Assistant-2 program, will not access FlightData log files of Mavic Pro
4c) Assistant-2 program, will not access BlackBox data files of Mavic Pro
4d) Assistant-2 program, randomly fails to mount and show microSD card in Mavic Pro

Coupled in is concern that some of Mavic Air's .400 firmware problems, may make their way into next version of FW for Mavic Pro.  Being two months after .0400, and still no fixes.
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-7-3 11:09
Many think otherwise that I have talked to. Our local drone club has 79 member and about 55 of them have DJI products. Many more than one.

There is a compromise.
DJI GO-4 has separate library and program code to cover individual differences of each drone model.
DJI GO-4 shares library and program code for numerous common aspects of GO-4 (general user interface Maps, Radar, Compass, WiFi, etc.)

Keeping GO-4 down in size, allows for easier updates, update for say Mavic II would not impact all other drone models, and all pilots would get improvements to common aspects of GO-4.  

With that said...
Most common suggested solution (re-flash F.W.) sometimes working for people to fix their diverse set of problems - The biggest issue is DJI's installer code is severely messed up and lacking.  
No backup of current firmware,
No way to back out a bad update,
No local storage of downloaded Firmware versions,
No way to backup / restore user preferences,
No checking of installed (updated) Firmware - otherwise people would be seeing errors upon update vs. having to try re-install, re-re-install.

And for love of it all!   DJI needs to figure out what is up (or down) with microSD card drivers that allows problems with microSD card to mess up install or cause flight problems.
How many times do we have to read, try different / format SD card?

2018-7-3
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is my take.  

I would like to see the app built the same way many computer drivers are built.  
If you own many different products, here is your full package.  With this package, you can operate all of the drones.
However, if you only own one product, here is your slimmed down version that only contains what  you need.

Understanding product and application development, I do realize that this is a tall ask.  Maintaining this would not be as daunting as you would think as most of it is the same base code anyway.  There would need to be version control, and QA for each version when there is a release, and most of all there needs to be some documentation.  I get tired of seeing "general bug fixes" as documentation.
Yes.  I realize this is a lot to ask.  I also realize that at $1000 per device,  DJI should be able to afford this kind of dedicated development.  And we the customer deserve it.

But i'm not going to hold my breath.

oh yeah... i vote yes.  

2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-7-3 11:35
Here is my take.  

I get tired of seeing "general bug fixes" as documentation.
    In that regard - Totally worthless documentation.  

Almost like they are Slapping you in Face.  As in - you don't have intelligence to understand.
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-7-3 11:35
Here is my take.  

There would need to be version control, and QA for each version when  there is a release, and most of all there needs to be some  documentation.

I can imagine the current GO-4 code:
If(Mavic) then
  If(Mavic Pro) then
     If(Mavic Pro P) add this
     do that
  EndIf
  If(Mavic Air) do this
EndIf
If(Phantom) then
  If(Phantom 4) do this
  If(Phantom 2 or Phamtom 3) do this and do that
  If(Phantom 1) delete this
EndIf
Did you catch the typo?
2018-7-3
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-3 11:55
There would need to be version control, and QA for each version when  there is a release, and most of all there needs to be some  documentation.

I can imagine the current GO-4 code:

you mean that if it's a Mavic it's going to do this and that?  Yep.
2018-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-3 11:14
I would, if it actually meant reliable and stable Firmware / Software Apps / OS.

1a) Mavic Pro firmware, .0300 causes smearing, blurring, pixelation on Live view

Simply breaking the apps into different codebases is no guarantee that reliability will improve, rather just as likely it'll worsen as the varying codebases get out of sync.

I'm curious -- how much more would you (or anyone else) be willing to pay for such a segregated system?
2018-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

This request is somewhat akin to every computer, phone and tablet model having to find and download separate operating systems and apps built for that operating system -- there's a reason why we don't do that.
2018-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-7-3 11:09
Many think otherwise that I have talked to. Our local drone club has 79 member and about 55 of them have DJI products. Many more than one.

I’m not sure what drones are flown at your club, but if they are having problems, then phantom 4 , 4 Pro inspire , and the 3 matrice versions have the option to use dji Pilot app, and I know many using matrice use it.
Litchi is also an option , but even all those who subscribe to , they still prefer to use dji go 4. It seems strange that they would go back to the dji app if it’s so problematic , also the vast majority of Mavic Pro flying fine, I think it would work out a lot better if we all used the same device, we see in the new Autel that they only support 5 devices, so they must see many devices as problamatic, if we had separate apps we still have the issue that no one wants to discuss, which is how problematic are the devices we use becoming. And why so few adopted by Autel .
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-3 12:42
Simply breaking the apps into different codebases is no guarantee that reliability will improve, rather just as likely it'll worsen as the varying codebases get out of sync.

I'm curious -- how much more would you (or anyone else) be willing to pay for such a segregated system?

Me, about 15% for drone.  
About 5% for CrystalSky, it is already over-priced for it's limitations.
2018-7-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-3 12:42

Think of it as - GO-X app becomes Common object, that chooses which one  of Unique objects that it uses based on Drone being flown.

Breaking apps down into Common object (for shared aspects like user interface, wifi, ...) libraries & code and Unique objects (for Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Phantom, Inspire, etc) libraries & code reduce chances of changes for Drone-X to ''add a feature'' impacting all other drones - because it isolate changes.  Programmers would no longer have to worry about adding in code exceptions for other Drones to add Drone-X code changes.  Programmers working on code for Drone-X, don't have to be familiar with code for other Drones.  

2018-7-3
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

I'd prefer not to have to install yet another app for another DJI device; as it is, I find having to install DJI Go 4 and DJI Go as well a PITA.
2018-7-3
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-3 12:49
This request is somewhat akin to every computer, phone and tablet model having to find and download separate operating systems and apps built for that operating system -- there's a reason why we don't do that.

can't agree with this.  Each model of computer has a different chipset driver module.  There is something different about each of them.  There is a general shared code base that is the same, but the drivers are different.   So each model has a different set of drivers to make it work.
2018-7-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-3 12:51
I’m not sure what drones are flown at your club, but if they are having problems, then phantom 4 , 4 Pro inspire , and the 3 matrice versions have the option to use dji Pilot app, and I know many using matrice use it.
Litchi is also an option , but even all those who subscribe to , they still prefer to use dji go 4. It seems strange that they would go back to the dji app if it’s so problematic , also the vast majority of Mavic Pro flying fine, I think it would work out a lot better if we all used the same device, we see in the new Autel that they only support 5 devices, so they must see many devices as problamatic, if we had separate apps we still have the issue that no one wants to discuss, which is how problematic are the devices we use becoming. And why so few adopted by Autel .

Many have used Litchi and stopped using the Go4 app for the same reasons. Litchi works better for their uses. Commercial and hobby. Go4 issues have been coming and going for both iOS and Android over the last year or more. Some get fixed, some get put on a long back burner, and others get solved or users revert to previous versions that worked for their product type.

Many there just think the Go4 app is too weighted for it's own good. Some are programmers as well. Many times Go4 has been updated for one product add, and messed with other products. Nobody likes that at all. We have IIRC 3 guys with Inspire2, none with a Matrice (though many would like to buy one), most with P3, P4, P4A, MP, MA, Spark and other brand drones, and custom built drones for racing. Most use the P4's to record the races.

I get that it's hard for DJI or any company to test every type of device, but like these guys say there is no excuse not to verify and validate the most common mobile devices in the market.

If DJI would rather go full iOS support, then they need to do just that. I doubt they would want to lose the other 50+ % of the Android market though. That's a lot of customers.
2018-7-4
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-3 12:51
Litchi is also an option , but even all those who subscribe to , they still prefer to use dji go 4. It seems strange that they would go back to the dji app if it’s so problematic , also the vast majority of Mavic Pro flying fine, I think it would work out a lot better if we all used the same device, we see in the new Autel that they only support 5 devices, so they must see many devices as problamatic, if we had separate apps we still have the issue that no one wants to discuss, which is how problematic are the devices we use becoming. And why so few adopted by Autel .

Autel is putting their own spin on it though... They have their own fpv in the controller. I'm not sure what that uses, if Android or other proprietary format. I'm not versed on the product yet. A couple guys do have the Autel XStars and use them for training and have had zero issues with them.

Me, I just want to see Go4 work. It's getting old with updates causing issues over and over. This last one for Android users is really bad. People in our group are a mixed bag of Android and iOS guys and have experienced the app roller coaster bug ride for a couple of years.

Perhaps DJI should then offer CS at discounts, become more CS based and then it's one system all can use for their products. To me that is worth a couple hundred dollars vs "your device tested is not verified by DJI" when the majority of newer devices are above spec of the tested devices. 70+ guys in our group here cannot find one excuse that DJI as huge a company as it is, cannot test and verify the most common brands of mobile devices. For example, last tested was NOTE 4? Note 8 has near Crystal Sky brightness, faster cpu, and more ram. Not on the list. Has been around over a year. Many here use them an have been with no issues up until 4.2.20. Like I said, myself and others simply reverted to 4.2.14 and it's been fine flying with full HD fpv.

2018-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-7-4 06:17
Many have used Litchi and stopped using the Go4 app for the same reasons. Litchi works better for their uses. Commercial and hobby. Go4 issues have been coming and going for both iOS and Android over the last year or more. Some get fixed, some get put on a long back burner, and others get solved or users revert to previous versions that worked for their product type.

Many there just think the Go4 app is too weighted for it's own good. Some are programmers as well. Many times Go4 has been updated for one product add, and messed with other products. Nobody likes that at all. We have IIRC 3 guys with Inspire2, none with a Matrice (though many would like to buy one), most with P3, P4, P4A, MP, MA, Spark and other brand drones, and custom built drones for racing. Most use the P4's to record the races.

It still begs the question how much is caused by other devices, it is very clear around here that iOS have had a lot fewer problems with updates.
I’m also surprised that no one who operates commercially at your club hasn’t tried dji go pilot app, designed for commercial completely stripped back of bells and whistles not needed commercially, and has complete privacy of all data, which is becoming the norm for commercial.
As one who has a few different drones I have never seen any cross contamination regarding firmware or software, and it seems to be a very new occurrence , with no official recognition from engineers at dji , although I don’t expect they would comment on it.

It would be interesting to know what proportion of problems are caused, by the devices we use, and as I said previously, now we see Autel only including 5 devices on what is a much lighter used app, it does beg a real question as to whether much of these problems are caused more directly from devices we use.
In all the years I’ve used go app and go4 app on iOS I have had almost no problems , maybe I’m just lucky.
2018-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Many have used Litchi and stopped using the Go4 app for the same reasons. Litchi works better for their uses. Commercial and hobby. Go4 issues have been coming and going for both iOS and Android over the last year or more. Some get fixed, some get put on a long back burner, and others get solved or users revert to previous versions that worked for their product type.

Many there just think the Go4 app is too weighted for it's own good. Some are programmers as well. Many times Go4 has been updated for one product add, and messed with other products. Nobody likes that at all. We have IIRC 3 guys with Inspire2, none with a Matrice (though many would like to buy one), most with P3, P4, P4A, MP, MA, Spark and other brand drones, and custom built drones for racing. Most use the P4's to record the races.

It still begs the question how much is caused by other devices, it is very clear around here that iOS have had a lot fewer problems with updates.
I’m also surprised that no one who operates commercially at your club hasn’t tried dji go pilot app, designed for commercial completely stripped back of bells and whistles not needed commercially, and has complete privacy of all data, which is becoming the norm for commercial.
As one who has a few different drones I have never seen any cross contamination regarding firmware or software, and it seems to be a very new occurrence , with no official recognition from engineers at dji , although I don’t expect they would comment on it.

It would be interesting to know what proportion of problems are caused, by the devices we use, and as I said previously, now we see Autel only including 5 devices on what is a much lighter used app, it does beg a real question as to whether much of these problems are caused more directly from devices we use.
In all the years I’ve used go app and go4 app on iOS I have had almost no problems , maybe I’m just lucky.
2018-7-4
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

It's clear Go4 is buggy to the point that it should be considered a defective product since it is the main part of the overall flight control system.

What I hope to see is being allowed to use 3rd Party apps and that DJI supply its code for logging data to 3rd Party developers so that there isn't this big excuse that you must use G04 because only it can log data.   Then let the free market create Apps that actually work and allow users to choose which ones to use and pay/not pay for.  It's the only solution now I see b/c DJI has proven it can not manage it's software (at least for Android).
2018-7-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Is posting same thing twice the New trend?
2018-7-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Is posting same thing twice the New trend?
2018-7-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Interesting that .0300 FW for Mavic Pro contained firmware for Goggles to support Mavic Air, according to Release notes.

MavicProFW_with-MavicAir_support.jpg

If code was strictly for Goggles, why put it in Mavic Pro FW?
Cross contamination from Mavic Air's .0400 into Mavic Pro's .0300?

2018-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-7-4 08:35
It's clear Go4 is buggy to the point that it should be considered a defective product since it is the main part of the overall flight control system.

What I hope to see is being allowed to use 3rd Party apps and that DJI supply its code for logging data to 3rd Party developers so that there isn't this big excuse that you must use G04 because only it can log data.   Then let the free market create Apps that actually work and allow users to choose which ones to use and pay/not pay for.  It's the only solution now I see b/c DJI has proven it can not manage it's software (at least for Android).

That's already an option, Litchi, Autopilot, Airmap and others all use DJI's API.

Oh, re-reading I see your point about logging, and yeah, I agree that's annoying. Even DJI's own Groundstation iPad app doesn't write logs that can be used by DJI's back-end stats. I think they all still actually write flight logs, though, don't they?

As for "Go4 is buggy to the point that it should be considered a defective product" -- that's just not been my overall experience, though I'm on iOS. There have been issues, to be sure, but the current firmware and app versions have been quite stable for me.
2018-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-7-3 20:16
can't agree with this.  Each model of computer has a different chipset driver module.  There is something different about each of them.  There is a general shared code base that is the same, but the drivers are different.   So each model has a different set of drivers to make it work.

That sounds exactly like what we have here, different chipset drivers for the varying CPU used in DJI aircraft, shared codebase for the features each AC have in common, specific drivers to handle hardware variance. How is it different?
2018-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-4 09:13
Interesting that .0300 FW for Mavic Pro contained firmware for Goggles to support Mavic Air, according to Release notes.

[view_image]

Do you complain when your phone OS update includes drivers for cameras or other devices that can't be used on your particular model phone?
2018-7-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-4 10:22
Do you complain when your phone OS update includes drivers for cameras or other devices that can't be used on your particular model phone?

Not if update works without causing problems.
When an update did cause problems adding a ''new feature'' for another device, I complained to maker.  I have also complained to maker about a few other things - like enabling stuff that was turned off, removing a used feature, and user un-friendly interface changes.  All of which others were upset about too.
2018-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

He has it now ITS THE GOGGLES ESMERALDA ITS THE GOGGLES.".........."
2018-7-4
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-4 10:14
That sounds exactly like what we have here, different chipset drivers for the varying CPU used in DJI aircraft, shared codebase for the features each AC have in common, specific drivers to handle hardware variance. How is it different?

The only difference is one application to rule them all.  I would like to see a separate application for each unless you require multiple drones to be controlled.  This could make the application for single drone users smaller, because the application is specific to their drone.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I would absolutely HATE to support it, but as the user, I would like to have the option.
2018-7-4
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-4 10:07
That's already an option, Litchi, Autopilot, Airmap and others all use DJI's API.

Oh, re-reading I see your point about logging, and yeah, I agree that's annoying. Even DJI's own Groundstation iPad app doesn't write logs that can be used by DJI's back-end stats. I think they all still actually write flight logs, though, don't they?

Yes Machina.  I believe the only reason DJI does not 'allow' 3rd Party apps is because no logging function is integrated into other's software.  If you have an issue that qualifies for a Warranty or even Care Refresh claim, I think users are SOL if they were using a 3rd Party app during that specific flight.  I think that is garbage- they could easily provide their code for logging data and still maintain this data as encrypted.  Why they must have some critical data logs encrypted is beyond me; probably to prevent users from seeing what actually goes wrong with their aircraft so that DJI Support can deny coverage at will.  

You are correct too in that Litchi uses the DJI API.  Shocking how their app seems to work quite well and the 'official' one does not.  As it seams IOS is much more stable as you and most others seem to confirm, I might have to switch to IOS just to fly which is an unfortunate complication.  FYI, I've done exhaustive experimentation with several devices (Android) and could not find a 'compatible' phone that was trustworth, in fact I found a few phones that have never been on the compatibility list that worked equally as well as say a GS7, and substantially under powered /under-spec'd in comparison.  I've also noted that over the last couple years MANY phones that DJI said officially were compatible, are no longer on their list.  I don't think the devices on DJI's compatibility list are properly tested and supported.  I find some people's comments (including DJI's) that as the Mavic platform matures, so has the need for the horsepower requirements of the phones that operate them.....in reality has their been any real update/increase in functionality of the Mavic for example, since it's launch???   Fixed-wing mode perhaps....I don't see any improvements that should require any increase in the spec of any phone that operates their software or hardware (and to support this, there are still several phones from the 2013 era that are still listed as 'compatible').
2018-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-7-4 13:08
The only difference is one application to rule them all.  I would like to see a separate application for each unless you require multiple drones to be controlled.  This could make the application for single drone users smaller, because the application is specific to their drone.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I would absolutely HATE to support it, but as the user, I would like to have the option.

I would argue that the operating system is analogous, all those apps have to transparently work on multiple devices, in this case, all apps to rule them all, but fair enough to want something lean and mean.

I rather suspect the large size of the app isn't so much due to the number of devices it needs to support but instead the video editing features, soundtracks and such -- all of which I hardly ever use personally, but understand why they are there.
2018-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-7-4 14:09
Yes Machina.  I believe the only reason DJI does not 'allow' 3rd Party apps is because no logging function is integrated into other's software.  If you have an issue that qualifies for a Warranty or even Care Refresh claim, I think users are SOL if they were using a 3rd Party app during that specific flight.  I think that is garbage- they could easily provide their code for logging data and still maintain this data as encrypted.  Why they must have some critical data logs encrypted is beyond me; probably to prevent users from seeing what actually goes wrong with their aircraft so that DJI Support can deny coverage at will.  

You are correct too in that Litchi uses the DJI API.  Shocking how their app seems to work quite well and the 'official' one does not.  As it seams IOS is much more stable as you and most others seem to confirm, I might have to switch to IOS just to fly which is an unfortunate complication.  FYI, I've done exhaustive experimentation with several devices (Android) and could not find a 'compatible' phone that was trustworth, in fact I found a few phones that have never been on the compatibility list that worked equally as well as say a GS7, and substantially under powered /under-spec'd in comparison.  I've also noted that over the last couple years MANY phones that DJI said officially were compatible, are no longer on their list.  I don't think the devices on DJI's compatibility list are properly tested and supported.  I find some people's comments (including DJI's) that as the Mavic platform matures, so has the need for the horsepower requirements of the phones that operate them.....in reality has their been any real update/increase in functionality of the Mavic for example, since it's launch???   Fixed-wing mode perhaps....I don't see any improvements that should require any increase in the spec of any phone that operates their software or hardware (and to support this, there are still several phones from the 2013 era that are still listed as 'compatible').

A couple things -- Litchi, Autopilot, et al, do write flight logs, they just can't currently sync logs to DJI's back-end servers that update one's Go 4's stats and forum member stats. DJI has confirmed several times that their warranty covers owners who use these apps, unless the apps, themselves, were responsible for the loss of an AC.

The Android problem is a sticky one for sure, what with all the myriad devices and versions. Seems like some devices were compatible until the owners upgraded to the latest OS, at which point things went south. Autopilot doesn't offer an Android version afaik, and Litchi doesn't even provide a list of supported aOS devices -- instead they offer a money back guarantee if it desn't work on your particular device. Caveat emptor, I guess.

I would put money on the increased device horsepower requirements being more for the in-app video editing features than actually flying the AC.

2018-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-7-4 14:09
Yes Machina.  I believe the only reason DJI does not 'allow' 3rd Party apps is because no logging function is integrated into other's software.  If you have an issue that qualifies for a Warranty or even Care Refresh claim, I think users are SOL if they were using a 3rd Party app during that specific flight.  I think that is garbage- they could easily provide their code for logging data and still maintain this data as encrypted.  Why they must have some critical data logs encrypted is beyond me; probably to prevent users from seeing what actually goes wrong with their aircraft so that DJI Support can deny coverage at will.  

You are correct too in that Litchi uses the DJI API.  Shocking how their app seems to work quite well and the 'official' one does not.  As it seams IOS is much more stable as you and most others seem to confirm, I might have to switch to IOS just to fly which is an unfortunate complication.  FYI, I've done exhaustive experimentation with several devices (Android) and could not find a 'compatible' phone that was trustworth, in fact I found a few phones that have never been on the compatibility list that worked equally as well as say a GS7, and substantially under powered /under-spec'd in comparison.  I've also noted that over the last couple years MANY phones that DJI said officially were compatible, are no longer on their list.  I don't think the devices on DJI's compatibility list are properly tested and supported.  I find some people's comments (including DJI's) that as the Mavic platform matures, so has the need for the horsepower requirements of the phones that operate them.....in reality has their been any real update/increase in functionality of the Mavic for example, since it's launch???   Fixed-wing mode perhaps....I don't see any improvements that should require any increase in the spec of any phone that operates their software or hardware (and to support this, there are still several phones from the 2013 era that are still listed as 'compatible').

The go4 app of course is not perfect, but I can look at almost all of the apps I use and say pretty much the same about anyone of them big small etc, yes dji need to be stepping up their game, I think everyone believes this and I think it will always be a work in progress as is all technology, I don’t envisage dji allowing problems to get into a state of disrepair, we seen in 2016 when dji go app became insufficient to handle all aircraft and cameras, they built dji go4, and I believe when go4 needs major overhaul we will see this happen for the betterment of users, whether they are working on this now , none of us have a clue, we know we fly the best consumer drones out there and I don’t see this changing because of bad app, so improvements will come, just as they do with all apps.

One thing you did say I must correct, using litchi or any other app will not void your care refresh or warranty. Both your warranty and Care refresh clearly state that only if third party app causes crash will your app be null and void, both your care refresh are 100% covered in the event of aircraft malfunction.
2018-7-4
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-4 15:39
The go4 app of course is not perfect, but I can look at almost all of the apps I use and say pretty much the same about anyone of them big small etc, yes dji need to be stepping up their game, I think everyone believes this and I think it will always be a work in progress as is all technology, I don’t envisage dji allowing problems to get into a state of disrepair, we seen in 2016 when dji go app became insufficient to handle all aircraft and cameras, they built dji go4, and I believe when go4 needs major overhaul we will see this happen for the betterment of users, whether they are working on this now , none of us have a clue, we know we fly the best consumer drones out there and I don’t see this changing because of bad app, so improvements will come, just as they do with all apps.

One thing you did say I must correct, using litchi or any other app will not void your care refresh or warranty. Both your warranty and Care refresh clearly state that only if third party app causes crash will your app be null and void, both your care refresh are 100% covered in the event of aircraft malfunction.

"Both your warranty and Care refresh clearly state that only if third party app causes crash will your app be null and void, both your care refresh are 100% covered in the event of aircraft malfunction."

Good to know ...however based on many user's experience, the above statement should be a major concern.  It is likely that DJI Support may simply blame the 3rd Party App for any issue you may experience and deny any support and you will have no warranty .  

Also, if you read DJI's Warranty it appears they will not warranty your Aircraft from any damage or loss caused directly by their own DJI App (or Firmware.  I've actually asked this question directly in these forums and DJI did not - surprisingly ? - have a straightforward answer.  In fact, the response was that they'd "have to confirm with their Engineering R&D" and the response from that was a complete avoidance of the question (or they do not know how to answer it).  For the purposes of Warranty their App is only used to review the data log file created by it to determine if the App detected and logged a hardware condition (aka Code) that is considered directly indicative of a hardware malfunction. - and then they'll use this to validate such a claim. But if the actual software itself, directly malfunctions (Ie. not a device compatibility issue) in a way that causes or substantially contributes to  any condition that directly affects any component of the aircraft, there will be no valid warranty claim (or Care Refresh).  This is due to the fact that DJI disclaims responsibility for software errors entirely it seems.  I'm also certain that DJI has directly stated that 3rd Party Apps do not have the functionality of a flight data log that DJI can or would access for the purpose of flight analysis in the event of any warranty claim.  Maybe I'm totally wrong, if so that would be great news b/c it would mean we could all use Litchi without any risk to full coverage.  But here's  a point to ponder: If Go4  itself caused for example a 'flyaway' and DJI confirmed the root cause existed in the App, yet the drone was unrecoverable, you get no replacement either under warranty or Care Refresh!  How does that even make any sense- it could not be recovered directly b/c of an inherent defect in the software.  This is true due to   DJI's official position is that  all aircraft must be piloted in an environment such that it is not possible to lose such aircraft for situations where DJI is also at fault for the loss condition.  In this case, there is no  technical need  for DJI to require the aircraft back in order to ascertain fault/cause; the only advantage would be to have possible parts to resell or refurbish.   
2018-7-4
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-4 14:41
A couple things -- Litchi, Autopilot, et al, do write flight logs, they just can't currently sync logs to DJI's back-end servers that update one's Go 4's stats and forum member stats. DJI has confirmed several times that their warranty covers owners who use these apps, unless the apps, themselves, were responsible for the loss of an AC.

The Android problem is a sticky one for sure, what with all the myriad devices and versions. Seems like some devices were compatible until the owners upgraded to the latest OS, at which point things went south. Autopilot doesn't offer an Android version afaik, and Litchi doesn't even provide a list of supported aOS devices -- instead they offer a money back guarantee if it desn't work on your particular device. Caveat emptor, I guess.

"I would put money on the increased device horsepower requirements being more for the in-app video editing features than actually flying the AC."

I agree with you on this .  It would seem this is a logical assumption given that I think no one can argue successfully that the actual Mavic operations have increased in complexity in any real way since product launch that would warrant any opinion that any phone/device beyond the basic min specifications of at least the original devices that were deemed sufficient at product launch....yet the fact exists that many of the most powerful devices currently on the market appear (at least to DJI) to not be 'compatible'.  If the horsepower is only really needed for the in-app editing functions then you would think that all the DJI moderators would be replying to people's issues about phones with something like this statement "Any current phone with a high performance spedification  that you choose to use is really only a factor for if you choose to use the in-app editing tools availabile within Go4, the functionality of the Mavic is easily managed with the base specification of all devices that were originally stated at product launch until such a time as we extend the ability of our aircraft to require a more advanced phone hardware specification. So only if you require the use of these editing features, we recommend only the devices as currently listed..."    The only logical reason why this is not the case for would be that DJI is incapable at managing their software platform and in turn are blaming 'device incompatability' for any issues purely as a scapegoat.  This should be a ginormous strategic weakness for DJI and a key topic in many high--level meetings.  Their app forms the major basis of the entire flight control system for their product.  We all love what their products are capable of but quality control and consistency of the user experience should be of major concern to them; fortunately they are the market leaders so they are afforded this as a shield, but I wonder how long they will stay on top if these issues are not addressed in the very near future.
2018-7-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great idea though unlikely to happen.
2018-7-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced