Using a laptop in place of a smart phone.
68255 38 2015-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jedthone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 612927 ft
United States

Hello everyone.

Is it possible to use my laptop in place of a smart phone to connect to the drone and see what the camera sees.

I am in the process of getting FAA authorization for commercial operations and would like to use a larger screen then just a smart phone, particualy when it comes to search and rescue stuff and brush fire spotting.

I am a member of a volunteer fire department.

I plan on making this a self supporting resource for local volunteer fire departments to use. I run a commercial business taking pictures and video for people which pays for drone training, and drone equipment purchases/maintence while providing local fire departments with airial spotting for emergencies. That way the departments dont have to pay for training and equipment since money is tight in this area.

If successfull I plan on helping others set up a system like what I am creating.

Also, a good tip for a easy to use and effective thermal camera that could be mounted to a DJI drone would be helpfull as well.

2015-5-18
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

Couldn't you just use a large tablet like the IPAD or something similar?
2015-5-18
Use props
jedthone
lvl.2
United States

Possible but I like the power of a laptop more. I also plan on using the laptop to edit pictures and video to customer specifications on the job site instead of having to return to the office. There is also a lot more in terms of connecting devices to the laptop, I can at best without special tools connect one or two devices to an IPad while I laptop is limited only by the number of USB and HDMI ports and the fact the cables for those connections are cheap, common, a set standard, and readily available helps a lot. No special cables that get changed every time a new IPad comes out that are different every time (because you know... apple). The cables are common enough that I dont have to explain to everyone how to plug them in correctly, and so on.

Also power is of much less concern since many of the trucks provide standard 120 volt power so I can use the HDMI cable to stream the video to a large TV for the incident commander. Every truck we have in the department either has its own generator with outlets built in or a portable generator to provide auxiliary power.
2015-5-18
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

I am sure it's possible but not without spending some money. You need a commercial use drone something like 3DR makes. I still can't believe the Phantom 3 does not have HDMI output on the controller. Check out the 3DR Solo. You could do a setup like I have, black pearl monitor with HDMI output.
2015-5-18
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Your problem is going to be getting an app to run on the Windows Platform. If you are using  MAC I'm not sure if the app  foe IOS would work. The wifi will connect but then is where you need software to communicate with the quad and the FPV.  Nothing I know of other than Android or IOS operating systems which are phones and tablets. You may be able to get a google laptop to work or a small android laptop but you need the night resolution screens for good FPV . Quad core helps to. My resolution is 1920x1200 which works well.  Good luck in your endeavor.
2015-5-19
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

If you have a windows Laptop you can try using the Chrome Browser with the Arc Welder extension which simulates the Android system but stability is a question mark.
2015-5-19
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Why not try bluestacks android emulator?
2015-5-19
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Michael M Posted at 2015-5-20 05:37

I tried the bluestack emulator but never could get the DJI App to work correctly.
2015-5-19
Use props
philml420
lvl.2

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-19 10:36
I am sure it's possible but not without spending some money. You need a commercial use drone somethi ...

I have the feeling he  has vision 2
2015-5-19
Use props
jedthone
lvl.2
United States

I have a Vision 2 + version 3.
2015-5-20
Use props
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Use the Mobizen app from google play. install on phone and laptop, then you can transfer the screen image to laptop while using phone for FPV.
2015-5-21
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Even if you do get it working, the preview quality of 320x240 (which you need to get any sort of stable frame rate and distance) will look awful on a larger screen.
2015-5-21
Use props
jedthone
lvl.2
United States

Yea.

I remember there being a 640x420 resolution at 30fps for a while but the latest firmware update seems to have gotten rid of it. Not that it worked well anyway, now there is 640x420 at 15fps but that also only works half the time.

320x240 will look abysmal on a larger screen.
2015-5-21
Use props
philml420
lvl.2

United States

jedthone@hotmai Posted at 2015-5-22 06:26
Yea.

I remember there being a 640x420 resolution at 30fps for a while but the latest firmware updat ...

I used  to fly with low resolution  but since i bought spw24 circular  wireless  antenna  for  vision none plus 640 x 480 30 works best , i cant believe  it
2015-5-21
Use props
philml420
lvl.2

United States

philml420@gmail Posted at 2015-5-22 07:04
I used  to fly with low resolution  but since i bought spw24 circular  wireless  antenna  for  vis ...

And for  re500 i use two antenas one tplink tl ant2409a and tp link   8dbi omni  -directional went almost 3000 feet  at 300 feet high, gonna try to use spw24 for re 500 when female adapter  comes in
2015-5-21
Use props
philml420
lvl.2

United States

philml420@gmail Posted at 2015-5-22 07:04
I used  to fly with low resolution  but since i bought spw24 circular  wireless  antenna  for  vis ...

X420 *i meant
2015-5-21
Use props
Paul Coker
lvl.1

United States

hi guys similar sort of problem do i need roaming switched on my phone to operate  my phantom which will cost many $  here as i have come over from england ?gonna try it but dont want a crash or fly away
2015-8-2
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

The laptop will give you high enough resolution but there is still the problem of Windows platform. No apps for that.
2015-8-2
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I had some issues with the stock DJI app displaying WiFi and Extender telmetry on the Bluestacks emulator.The 3rd party app DJI Ultimate Flight app only had issues with the WiFi TLM but every actually worked on both apps on my old Macbook running Windows XP.  Now having said that the test was done with earlier versions of both apps so I dont know how they will still function with current versions.
Laptop
2015-8-2
Use props
stefan
lvl.1

Sweden

JATO Posted at 2015-8-3 10:14
I had some issues with the stock DJI app displaying WiFi and Extender telmetry on the Bluestacks emu ...

Well now there are semiofficial apps for WP and Windows 8.1 that should work on any Laptop with Windows 8.1 but since last update they arent working  : (
Also they are a Little bit limited with no groundstation support.

Shame on DJI for not catering to the largest platform available.
2015-8-2
Use props
wilsonsecuritya
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133317 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK your problem of connectivity is not so hard as all of those before me have said.  Amidous is a program that you need to download. (http://www.amiduos.com/) Once you download this follow the directions for 32 or 64 bit windows.  After the download you will be able to run googleplay and any apps on the play store including DJI Go and Litchi for drones.  You will need to also change your controller to install the new HDMI port board from DJI at a cost of $99.  You then can connect to your pc and fly your drone as I do now.  Unfortunately we have a lot of people who continually say NO IT CANT BE DONE and steer you to other locations where it is a dead end. Happy Flying!
2016-7-27
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

wilsonsecuritya Posted at 2016-7-27 18:12
OK your problem of connectivity is not so hard as all of those before me have said.  Amidous is a pr ...

Isnt the laptop HDMI port "output" and not input? 1 directional?
2016-9-27
Use props
Notseen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71434 ft
United States

I use screen mirror on my Android, sends screen to my Alienware 18" Laptop. Works Awesome. Although I have backup battery attached to phone, cpu fan on phone because it spins the little cpu in it to send to laptop. If not using for racing, very little lag time, about 100ms.
2018-4-13
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I do the exact same thing but in my case i use a remote monitor and screen share to it for incident control to look at.
I usually have a table setup that i can sit at and comfortably fly for hours.
I stay as far away from incident control as posible i hate people looking over my shoulder and asking irrelevant questions when im flying for fire brigade.
Yes you can get thermal cameras to fit your drone they are quite expensive. And you will need to disable vps sensors
2018-4-13
Use props
Juan01
lvl.2

Spain

Any news?
Any software to fly my Mavic from my laptop or tablet with Windows?
2018-5-31
Use props
REMTOWN
lvl.1
Australia

Im a Quadriplegic and can't use my hands or fingers, but i have a mouth controlled PC mouse so i absolutely have to find some way to use my laptop to control and stream.

I found this today

Just bought a Mavic Pro, hope it all works
2018-8-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

REMTOWN Posted at 2018-8-2 18:47
Im a Quadriplegic and can't use my hands or fingers, but i have a mouth controlled PC mouse so i absolutely have to find some way to use my laptop to control and stream.

I found this today

The aircraft, in all cases, are controlled by the remote control unit, the phone or tablet is primarily a display. But they are not designed for control via a Windows application, only iOS or Android. And DJI have not produced a Windows version of the GO app control.
That video is no use to you for what you want to do, all it is doing is showing you how to connect the Mavic to a computer for copying photos and movies off the aircraft's SD card. You are not able to control the aircraft via that USB connection.

2018-8-2
Use props
REMTOWN
lvl.1
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-2 20:03
The aircraft, in all cases, are controlled by the remote control unit, the phone or tablet is primarily a display. But they are not designed for control via a Windows application, only iOS or Android. And DJI have not produced a Windows version of the GO app control.
That video is no use to you for what you want to do, all it is doing is showing you how to connect the Mavic to a computer for copying photos and movies off the aircraft's SD card. You are not able to control the aircraft via that USB connection.

Yea i jumped the gun a little on the video before fully watching it, my bad.

But you're indeed wrong about that i can now completely control my Mavic Pro with keyboard and mouse by using DJI Groundstation and a DJI data link on my laptop. Works incredible.

2018-8-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

REMTOWN Posted at 2018-8-18 22:04
Yea i jumped the gun a little on the video before fully watching it, my bad.

But you're indeed wrong about that i can now completely control my Mavic Pro with keyboard and mouse by using DJI Groundstation and a DJI data link on my laptop. Works incredible.

That's good to hear, good luck with it.
2018-8-18
Use props
jumping
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40141 ft
United States

trrdesign@cox.n Posted at 2015-5-18 15:32
Couldn't you just use a large tablet like the IPAD or something similar?

Not if you don't have one  like me and many I'm assuming .So Ya I'd like to know that too. Does anyone know the answer or are we just going to hear what we should be doing from those who don't know the answer to the initial question ??
2018-11-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jumping Posted at 11-19 14:06
Not if you don't have one  like me and many I'm assuming .So Ya I'd like to know that too. Does anyone know the answer or are we just going to hear what we should be doing from those who don't know the answer to the initial question ??

The answer is that there is no version of an operating application that runs on Windows. They are designed only for Android or iOS. This is why people were suggesting a large tablet instead.
2018-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jumping Posted at 11-19 14:06
Not if you don't have one  like me and many I'm assuming .So Ya I'd like to know that too. Does anyone know the answer or are we just going to hear what we should be doing from those who don't know the answer to the initial question ??

You can't run with a laptop but if you don't want to buy a tablet for flying, one option that might work for you is one of these:

There is a slight downside though in that you'll only be able to use it close to home or with a very long extension cord.
Also mounting it on your controller can be a little tricky.
2018-11-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

LOL......Sorry, I couldn't help it!
2018-11-19
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

wasn't there a user in this group who used the HDMI output module from the remote controller to a 32" screen in the field? Can't seem to find the post though.
2018-11-19
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Paul Coker Posted at 2015-8-2 03:22
hi guys similar sort of problem do i need roaming switched on my phone to operate  my phantom which will cost many $  here as i have come over from england ?gonna try it but dont want a crash or fly away

No - is the simple answer.
Only when you get to WiFi to cache the maps do you need any communication ... then thats not roaming also !

Nigel
2018-11-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-18 18:36
I am sure it's possible but not without spending some money. You need a commercial use drone something like 3DR makes. I still can't believe the Phantom 3 does not have HDMI output on the controller. Check out the 3DR Solo. You could do a setup like I have, black pearl monitor with HDMI output.

P3A and P3P controller does have an alternative rear module you can fit instead of the basic USB box ... this has HDMI out as well as USB etc.

Nigel
2018-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 11-20 10:42
P3A and P3P controller does have an alternative rear module you can fit instead of the basic USB box ... this has HDMI out as well as USB etc.

Nigel

**HINT**
There's no need to answer posts that are 3 years old.
You can check the date at the bottom of each post.
2018-11-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 11-20 13:09
**HINT**
There's no need to answer posts that are 3 years old.
You can check the date at the bottom of each post.

I am well aware of that fact ...

As I was asked this same question offline a few days ago - I thought it might be interesting to post it in a relevant thread instead of creating a new one.

Nigel
2018-11-21
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Michael M Posted at 2015-5-19 13:37

I have windows 10, and I downloaded Bluestacks as well.  I then installed DJI Go before P4,  but I can't seem to get it to open either.  What's the trick?  It looks like it is trying to open but then closes right away.  If I can get it to work, I don't plan on keeping it on my windows 10 office machine.  I have a 10 laptop that I would install and use it on.  Are there any other that would work better?
2018-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules