Mavic Pro, Gimbal rubber bands
10221 13 2018-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OwlPic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft

For some reason not related to any crashes or any other reason I can figure out, the rubber bands mounting of the gimbal have stretched.

The symptom is that the gimbal will not calibrate. On Startup it goes through its routine but banging into all the sides eventually ends up looking down and not functioning.

When do you start up with the mavic pro upside down the gimbal will calibrate and work properly once turned over.

We just bought the replacement Gimbal plate on Amazon for $20 and you can see clearly that the new rubber bands have almost no stretch at all to them.

Anyone else had experienced in this area?
2018-7-4
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Have you already checked if the gimbal plate is actually below the metal "hook"?
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

Mgozer Posted at 2018-7-4 03:52
Have you already checked if the gimbal plate is actually below the metal "hook"?[view_image]

Stretched vs. Unstretched rubber band
20180704_075926.jpg
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

OwlPic Posted at 2018-7-4 04:19
Stretched vs. Unstretched rubber band

Doesn't look like much but stretched one hardly has any pull
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

OwlPic Posted at 2018-7-4 04:20
Doesn't look like much but stretched one hardly has any pull

Shortest video I could find on how to take the gimbal out. Hoping I don't have to do this but I will if I have to.

https://youtu.be/Sct5z2pTXpg

I have all kinds of small tools and I've been practicing replacing just the rubber bands on the gimbal plate I got. (I bought two $20 plates, one to practice on)
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

OwlPic Posted at 2018-7-4 04:31
Shortest video I could find on how to take the gimbal out. Hoping I don't have to do this but I will if I have to.

https://youtu.be/Sct5z2pTXpg

well I took it all apart.

I'm convinced that it could be done with tweezers, you need to squeeze the piece, insert it through the hole and let go. you need very fine tweezers with no serrations on the  inside , which I have ... just couldn't get it to stick.

Recommend buying the $12 mavoc toolkit from Amazon, It is just for the mavic.

Was able to do it with only unplugging connectors no ungluing / regluing.

The video above was very useful.

I used series of magnets and a paper diagram sitting on a steel plate so I could be sure I kept all the screws straight.

The magnet attached to the screwdriver insured the screws could be self-starting.

Took about 45 minutes, could do it again in 5 minutes now that I know what I'm doing.

A couple of details that give you pause because they don't come apart is easy as you think and you don't want to break it
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

It's clear why the rubber bands are all stretched out. The weight of the gimbal is quite heavy compared to the tiny rubber bands. I guess you're supposed to store it with the back of the copter down, bellyup?
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

It's clear why the rubber bands are all stretched out. The weight of the gimbal is quite heavy compared to the tiny rubber bands. I guess you're supposed to store it with the back of the copter down, bellyup?
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

Well the gimbal works fine now doesn't slap into the walls hangs freely. Video is perfect. But it won't calibrate, go through startup routine fine just off axis
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

Guess I'll be putting the gimbal lock on from now on.
2018-7-4
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2

Turns out, in addition, have a broken cable. You Can see why. The gimbal start-up sequence, stretches the cable against a sharp edge. This puts a notch into the edge of the cable, that eventually grows to be a crack. Only had about 30 flights, but lot more bench turn ons, while learning the software.

Looks like will be replacing cables every so often.
Going to try to file off the sharp edge and put a tiny drop of hard-coat nail-polish on the ribbon's edge.
2018-7-7
Use props
bandicoot
lvl.1

Same exact thing happened to me (no crashes ~30 flights).  Long time flyer, bought a mavic pro and quite disappointed that everything is now useless due to some rubber bands.  
2019-9-4
Use props
fansb7509844
New

United States

Mgozer Posted at 2018-7-4 03:52
Have you already checked if the gimbal plate is actually below the metal "hook"?[view_image]
Hi - if my gimbal is somehow got on top of the metal hook, how do I get it back under?
image.jpg
2020-7-18
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Austria

It happened to me also.
I just had to slowly and firmly slide the bracket forward.
I have to tell you that I was scaried a lot, but in the end, it worked.
2020-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules