Standalone Spark Gimbal camera
2775 18 2018-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JBSpark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47969 ft
Australia

I do a lot of mountain bike riding and would really love a spark camera on 3 axis gimbal with integrated gimbal controller and sd recording. Would be ideal for mounting on your helmet, gopro chesty strap, front shocker, or even on a long pole tied to your backpack.. (even just sitting on top of a larger quad or racing drone)
What do you think DJI.. Are you prepared to make a new breakthrough in technology and sell the worlds first smallest lightest standalone gimbal camera ?

2018-7-4
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Hey, check out the DJI OSMO+ .. it's exactly how you describe it ..
2018-7-4
Use props
JBSpark
lvl.2
Australia

Hey thats pretty close but still a little bit bulky to mount on a 5" racing drone. I was thinking the actual spark camera and control board for a price thats affordable

2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we welcome your idea of having a 3 axis of a camera on the spark. We will consider try to consider this one and send this proposal to our engineers. Thank you for trusting DJI.
2018-7-5
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

I have the Feiyu Tech G6 and it does pretty much all you mentioned other than fitting on a racing drone.  Just got it about a month ago, really happy with it.  Plan to strap in on the Chesty during some mountain bike runs and have the Spark track behind me.  Cheaper than the Osmo too.

https://www.amazon.com/FY-FEIYUT ... ripod/dp/B07CJZZCH8
2018-7-5
Use props
JBSpark
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-5 04:48
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we welcome your idea of having a 3 axis of a camera on the spark. We will consider try to consider this one and send this proposal to our engineers. Thank you for trusting DJI.

No I dont want 3 axis on the spark. I want to mount just the spark gimbal on my Gopro chesty mount without the spark so I can record while i am riding my bike !!
2018-8-27
Use props
JBSpark
lvl.2
Australia

BrandonW77 Posted at 2018-7-5 05:52
I have the Feiyu Tech G6 and it does pretty much all you mentioned other than fitting on a racing drone.  Just got it about a month ago, really happy with it.  Plan to strap in on the Chesty during some mountain bike runs and have the Spark track behind me.  Cheaper than the Osmo too.

https://www.amazon.com/FY-FEIYUT ... ripod/dp/B07CJZZCH8

Dude thats a monster. I have something just like that and it gets knocked around all over the place. Spend more time resetting it than riding.
2018-8-27
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

JBSpark Posted at 2018-7-4 04:25
Hey thats pretty close but still a little bit bulky to mount on a 5" racing drone. I was thinking the actual spark camera and control board for a price thats affordable

At first it seems like a good idea, but think about it: on the helmet will be performing very poorly because it is very shaky. Have you tried Spark in hand? Start the video and simulate the shaky environment ... Then it's too vulnerable, not waterproof and not dustproof. In this category, gopro gives you an electronically stabilized video and that's enough. Shock proof, water and dustproof. Otherwise, not as small as you think because neither the processor and  the battery or the SD socket is not included, these are in the Spark. Just look first at a good idea ...
2018-8-28
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

JBSpark Posted at 2018-8-27 20:43
Dude thats a monster. I have something just like that and it gets knocked around all over the place. Spend more time resetting it than riding.

It's not that big, don't think it's much bigger than the Osmo really.  Does look kinda silly strapped on my chest though.  I've only tested it once so far on the bike and the video was nice and steady but it did have some unwanted panning when I would go around corners but I think I've figured out how to avoid that from happening now.  It didn't get knocked around by my body or anything, just when I'd turn it would want to keep looking in the same direction it had been pointing because I had it set on the wrong mode.
2018-8-28
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-8-28 02:32
At first it seems like a good idea, but think about it: on the helmet will be performing very poorly because it is very shaky. Have you tried Spark in hand? Start the video and simulate the shaky environment ... Then it's too vulnerable, not waterproof and not dustproof. In this category, gopro gives you an electronically stabilized video and that's enough. Shock proof, water and dustproof. Otherwise, not as small as you think because neither the processor and  the battery or the SD socket is not included, these are in the Spark. Just look first at a good idea ...

Actually, it doesn't perform poorly at all and the gimbal neutralizes all the shaking.  When I did my test with the Feiyutech strapped to my chest it was bouncing all over the place and I thought the footage would be rubbish.  I tightened the straps on the chest mount which reduced the bouncing, but when I went home and checked the footage the first videos with the looser straps were actually much smoother so the extra bouncing actually helped the gimbal work better somehow.  

Here's the test video I did, you can see it's pretty smooth but the camera was bouncing all over the place like crazy while I was riding (the last minute of the video is testing the gimbal while walking around in my backyard so that's not relevant to this conversation).  This is with a Hero4 that does not have electronic image stabilization, it was all gimbal.  I'm not sure the Spark gimbal would perform this well but standalone gimbals do a great job.

2018-8-28
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

BrandonW77 Posted at 2018-8-28 04:35
Actually, it doesn't perform poorly at all and the gimbal neutralizes all the shaking.  When I did my test with the Feiyutech strapped to my chest it was bouncing all over the place and I thought the footage would be rubbish.  I tightened the straps on the chest mount which reduced the bouncing, but when I went home and checked the footage the first videos with the looser straps were actually much smoother so the extra bouncing actually helped the gimbal work better somehow.  

Here's the test video I did, you can see it's pretty smooth but the camera was bouncing all over the place like crazy while I was riding (the last minute of the video is testing the gimbal while walking around in my backyard so that's not relevant to this conversation).  This is with a Hero4 that does not have electronic image stabilization, it was all gimbal.  I'm not sure the Spark gimbal would perform this well but standalone gimbals do a great job.

Nice video! The Spark gimbal not perform this. I try handheld video with my Spark, and result, very shaky and blurry video like this video: (see 3:50)

2018-8-28
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

JBSpark Posted at 2018-7-4 04:25
Hey thats pretty close but still a little bit bulky to mount on a 5" racing drone. I was thinking the actual spark camera and control board for a price thats affordable

There is NO racing drone with gimbal. All racing drones have fixed camera. They are fast, they are being flown in acro mode and they crash a lot. Can't think of any gimbal design that would survive what common fixed camera usually survives on racing drones.
2018-8-28
Use props
JBSpark
lvl.2
Australia

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-8-28 07:33
Nice video! The Spark gimbal not perform this. I try handheld video with my Spark, and result, very shaky and blurry video like this video: (see 3:50)
https://youtu.be/XsN8S0oOzVE?t=3m51s

Maybe we do need 3 axis.. Can you please test on a bike it might perform better
2018-8-28
Use props
JBSpark
lvl.2
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-8-28 07:51
There is NO racing drone with gimbal. All racing drones have fixed camera. They are fast, they are being flown in acro mode and they crash a lot. Can't think of any gimbal design that would survive what common fixed camera usually survives on racing drones.

Agree, just making a point that i want something tiny, not something that weighs a kg
2018-8-28
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

osmo mobile
2018-8-28
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

osmo  mobile
2018-8-28
Use props
JBSpark
lvl.2
Australia

$760
and not really the right size and form factor for chest mount. But you are right its probably the closest thing out there at the moment
2018-8-28
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

JBSpark Posted at 2018-8-28 20:41
$760
and not really the right size and form factor for chest mount. But you are right its probably the closest thing out there at the moment

You want something like this.  You need to supply your own camera but it would mount on the Chesty nicely and not look silly/huge.

https://www.amazon.com/Hohem-Wea ... ywords=chest+gimbal
2018-8-29
Use props
JBSpark
lvl.2
Australia

Thank You DJI for doing this for me !!! WOOHOO !!!
Only issue is its $599 AUS..

Can you please give me a discount code since it was my idea ???????? Pleeeeeeezzzzzz

DJI OSMO POCKET
2018-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules