Strange battery issue
1145 20 2018-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

First the battery is fully charged, it has the latest update, it's about a month old, and has maybe 8 flights on it.
I went to fly yesterday controller linked up picture came up but kept getting battery not found and a red bar upper left can not take off.

So the drone would not even start had 12 GPS locked in I tried restarting by removing the battery from the drone but the same issue.
Put another battery in and everything was fine.

After landing tried the battery with the issue again and everything was fine with it any idea what may have caused it.

Thanks
Rudy

2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How long had the battery been on 100% before using it?
2018-7-5
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-5 01:45
How long had the battery been on 100% before using it?

Charged the night before. Had all 4 lights lite when tested.
I try not to leave them charged 100% if I know I am not going to fly for awhile.
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky6105 Posted at 2018-7-5 02:44
Charged the night before. Had all 4 lights lite when tested.
I try not to leave them charged 100% if I know I am not going to fly for awhile.

That is odd. So no warnings showed in the app the  you put the 'faulty' one back in - all was good to go? Put that battery in the drone then refresh the FW on the drone just to be safe.
2018-7-5
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

It is very odd no warning when I put it back in everything was normal.
FW is all good. Maybe just a glitch flew it near by just in case there was an issue.
Ran it down till warning of low battery came on all good.
Time will tell.
2018-7-5
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

Do you think contact cleaner is advisable to use on the battery contacts.
I know they are gold plated but maybe that the contacts are the issue.
you think Florida's  salt air could effect it.
2018-7-5
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

well I think....... (as it happened to me also) the battery was not 100% inserted... this is a security item of the Mavic Air...
2018-7-5
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

CanonMax Posted at 2018-7-5 03:05
well I think....... (as it happened to me also) the battery was not 100% inserted... this is a security item of the Mavic Air...

I did remove the battery and reinserted it and had the same issue. If that was the case don't you think it would of not powered up.
All I know now is it worked I haven't recharged it yet I will see this weekend.
Thanks
2018-7-5
Use props
devilsBastard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254370 ft
Germany

I had done the same fault like CanonMax, one clip wasn't closed exactly and the bird didn't start. When you can exclude the insert fault of the battery:
I suppose an error in electronic start/loading list of drivers or libraries, or some starting/connenction routine. Something similar happens sometimes with PC or laptop when drivers are loaded in wrong order. You activated a new starting routine with the new battery, so all IDs were deleted and the routine works in correct order. Like a hard reset on a PC. It is only a guess by me, electronic mystical wonderland.
Hope it will works next time, good luck.
2018-7-5
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

Thanks everyone for the input on the battery issue. I guess I will see what happens on the next charge.

Fly Safe
Rudy
2018-7-5
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-7-5 03:01
Do you think contact cleaner is advisable to use on the battery contacts.

One more thought... Since you mentioned 'salt air' which can be corrosive ( like me - snark ), I've found that using a pencil eraser on the contacts is a quick way to clean them.  Be gentle and give a quick wipe with a soft cloth to clean any remaining eraser flecks.  Can't hurt / might help.

2018-7-5
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Can you try discharge the battery by the USB adapter to charge other device. Charge the battery again and see it back to normal or not.
2018-7-5
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

sky6105 Posted at 2018-7-5 03:18
I did remove the battery and reinserted it and had the same issue. If that was the case don't you think it would of not powered up.
All I know now is it worked I haven't recharged it yet I will see this weekend.
Thanks

It will kind of power up, but it will NOT connect NOR fly...
2018-7-8
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

devilsBastard Posted at 2018-7-5 04:39
I had done the same fault like CanonMax, one clip wasn't closed exactly and the bird didn't start. When you can exclude the insert fault of the battery:
I suppose an error in electronic start/loading list of drivers or libraries, or some starting/connenction routine. Something similar happens sometimes with PC or laptop when drivers are loaded in wrong order. You activated a new starting routine with the new battery, so all IDs were deleted and the routine works in correct order. Like a hard reset on a PC. It is only a guess by me, electronic mystical wonderland.

Exactly... also in my case I noticed, that just ONE of the clips was RED... not properly closed... a nice security item this is for sure!!
2018-7-8
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

devilsBastard Posted at 2018-7-5 04:39
I had done the same fault like CanonMax, one clip wasn't closed exactly and the bird didn't start. When you can exclude the insert fault of the battery:
I suppose an error in electronic start/loading list of drivers or libraries, or some starting/connenction routine. Something similar happens sometimes with PC or laptop when drivers are loaded in wrong order. You activated a new starting routine with the new battery, so all IDs were deleted and the routine works in correct order. Like a hard reset on a PC. It is only a guess by me, electronic mystical wonderland.

Exactly... also in my case I noticed, that just ONE of the clips was RED... not properly closed... a nice security item this is for sure!!
2018-7-8
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

sky6105 Posted at 2018-7-5 03:01
Do you think contact cleaner is advisable to use on the battery contacts.

Hey Sky, I fly at the beach all the time (Daytona), salt does not evaporate into the air so no worries there, BUT never fly along the beach if there is a haze in the air (especially with an onshore wind) most onshore haze is caused by wind driven water molecules that become airborne at sea and congregate along the shoreline. Over time flying thru that haze is a sure way to start corrosion of the electronics in the drone.
2018-7-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry about this, I would like to clarify that you're having an issue with one of your battery then if you replace it then the aircraft will work, however, it seems like if you put the one that has an issue, it will work again right? If yes, I would suggest first to insert the specific battery, the one that has an issue and use our DJI Assistant 2, try to restore factory defaults and refresh the Mavic Air after that check if the error message will still prompt. Kindly posted in any case that the issue will persist.
2018-7-8
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

So far everything is good with this battery recharged it this weekend twice and no issues to report.
If anything comes up again I will post the issue with a picture.
Thank You.
2018-7-9
Use props
rkelly66
lvl.2
Flight distance : 669879 ft
United States

I had exact same issue. I sent the battery back under warranty to DJI and they sent me a new one.

They never really said what  was wrong....

2018-7-9
Use props
wobbles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

i had the same this weekend, turned off took battery out  and put back in and all went away..very strange, i put it down to not being inseterd properly ....
2018-7-9
Use props
aesculus2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69245 ft
United States

wobbles Posted at 2018-7-9 08:07
i had the same this weekend, turned off took battery out  and put back in and all went away..very strange, i put it down to not being inseterd properly ....

Battery seating issues seem to be more pronounced since the last firmware which I cannot understand but have experienced. Removing and resetting is now my first step during any problem determination.
2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules